Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fun Kingdoms  (Read 4794 times)

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
Fun Kingdoms
« on: April 02, 2016, 08:33:20 pm »

Hi everyone-
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, I'm new to the forums, but I wanted to see what cool kingdoms people have come up with. I'll get the ball rolling, here is my favorite kingdom I've created.

Crossroads, Fool's Gold, Menagerie, Farming Village, Remake, Tournament, Silk Road, Hunting Party, Jester, Margrave.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 08:43:01 pm by McGarnacle »
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
Re: Fun Kingdoms
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 04:41:41 am »

Hi everyone-
I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, I'm new to the forums, but I wanted to see what cool kingdoms people have come up with. I'll get the ball rolling, here is my favorite kingdom I've created.

Crossroads, Fool's Gold, Menagerie, Farming Village, Remake, Tournament, Silk Road, Hunting Party, Jester, Margrave.
Interesting. You definitely want an engine, but which one?
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 08:28:13 am »

Hi everyone-

Interesting. You definitely want an engine, but which one?
I found out that the best engine here was Margrave/Fool's Gold, but Hunting Party/Menagerie/Tournament had a good chance.

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +410
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 04:41:32 pm »

I've always been interested in feodum (from Dark Ages), so I'd like to see a kingdom with the following four cards:
Feodum, Masterpiece (from Guilds), Trader (from hinterlands), Bureaucrat
The other six don't really matter.
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

wachsmuth

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +347
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 04:47:50 pm »

I've always been interested in feodum (from Dark Ages), so I'd like to see a kingdom with the following four cards:

I can tell you that Bureaucrat also does not matter in that setup - it's just so slow compared to Masterpiece. And Trader is not very important either, though maybe you could get one. That board is pure Masterpiece-Feodum, unless there's something else really strong.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 05:00:00 pm »

I can tell you that Bureaucrat also does not matter in that setup - it's just so slow compared to Masterpiece. And Trader is not very important either, though maybe you could get one. That board is pure Masterpiece-Feodum, unless there's something else really strong.

The Bureaucrat is for the attack, not as the fastest way to gain Silver...
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2016, 05:22:17 pm »

The Bureaucrat is for the attack, not as the fastest way to gain Silver...
Bureaucrat is a very weak attack. wachsmuth is right, Feodum/Masterpiece is the best here, bar Wharf or some killer attacks.

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Doom_Shark

• Tactician
  • Shuffle iT Username: Doom_Shark
  • Respect: +410
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2016, 05:27:33 pm »
+1

the trader is primarily to get rid of the masterpiece for three more silver. Also to get you silver from the reaction. For example, overpay masterpiece, reveal trader, get silver instead of masterpiece, and because the overpay is on-buy, still get the silver. And yes, bureaucrat is unnecessary, it was an afterthought, being a silver themed attack.
"I swear to drunk I'm not officer, God."
Generation 33 The first time you see this, copy it, add 1 to the generation number, and add it to your signature. (On any forum) Social experiment.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2016, 10:56:36 pm »

the trader is primarily to get rid of the masterpiece for three more silver. Also to get you silver from the reaction. For example, overpay masterpiece, reveal trader, get silver instead of masterpiece, and because the overpay is on-buy, still get the silver. And yes, bureaucrat is unnecessary, it was an afterthought, being a silver themed attack.

That Trader could have been another Silver, which means even more Silver could be gotten from Masterpiece. But hey, ditching the Estates for Silver is also very nice. You can also either trash a copper (for more Silver density) or trash a Silver for 3 more Silvers (net gain of 2), or even hit a Feodum for a whopping 7 Silvers. Yes, I think it's worth it to get a Trader on that board overall. I've talked myself into it.

Interesting query: Trading Post is on the board. Do you go for it early game?

I think a Kingdom with a ton of terrible cards cobbled together would make for an interesting board: Go for the shoddy engine or for Big Money.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 11:02:55 pm by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1609
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2016, 12:03:21 am »
+1

Here is a theme Kingdom I came up with a while back that is pretty interesting gameplay-wise, and only requires cards from Intrigue, Seaside, and Hinterlands. I've played it some against bots, but I'd like to know what the forum thinks:

Desert Journey
Provinces/Estates
Crossroads, Oasis, Caravan, Nomad Camp, Silk Road, Spice Merchant, Bazaar, Highway, Trading Post, Harem

Which cards are relevant? When do you want to get them? What sort of general deck type are you going for?
Is there an optimal pure strategy? Is there a rock-paper-scissors thing going on? What do you need to look for in what your opponent does?
What do you open on 4/3? on 5/2? Does your opening split affect your strategy for the game? How does Nomad Camp affect your opening?
Can you pull off a megaturn? Can you do it before a non-megaturn player builds an insurmountable lead?
How do the two alt-VP piles factor into things?
What does the endgame look like? Will it end on piles or Provinces?
How does all of this change in multiplayer?

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2016, 09:41:53 am »

Here is a theme Kingdom I came up with a while back that is pretty interesting gameplay-wise, and only requires cards from Intrigue, Seaside, and Hinterlands. I've played it some against bots, but I'd like to know what the forum thinks:

Desert Journey
Provinces/Estates
Crossroads, Oasis, Caravan, Nomad Camp, Silk Road, Spice Merchant, Bazaar, Highway, Trading Post, Harem

Which cards are relevant? When do you want to get them? What sort of general deck type are you going for?
Is there an optimal pure strategy? Is there a rock-paper-scissors thing going on? What do you need to look for in what your opponent does?
What do you open on 4/3? on 5/2? Does your opening split affect your strategy for the game? How does Nomad Camp affect your opening?
Can you pull off a megaturn? Can you do it before a non-megaturn player builds an insurmountable lead?

Thanks for the kingdom, singletree! It looks quite interesting. Next time my friend brings over Intrigue we will be able to play it.

A strategy with Silk Roads might work, the crossroads will make your deck a bit more resilient to greening. Topdecking a Nomad Camp could also help you get the occasional expensive VP later in the game.

Then again, a traditional engine with Bazaar, Highway and Spice Merchant might be even better.

Also, what is the role of Trading Post? Looks like kind of a high oppurtunity cost when you are either trying to get lots of VP and it is a Duchy or this, or when your going engine and you could get a Highway or Bazaar instead?

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2016, 09:57:09 am »

Also, congratulations for having a name for your kingdom. I find that to be the hardest part!

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2016, 10:08:00 am »
+1

Here is another kingdom, this one Seaside and Cornucopia, which to me vaguely resembles singletree's kingdom.

Treasure of the Sea

Native Village, Menagerie, Island, Horse Traders, Bazaar, Merchant Ship, Treasury, Harvest, Horn of Plenty, Hunting Party,

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

wachsmuth

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +347
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2016, 04:27:21 pm »
+1

Here is another kingdom, this one Seaside and Cornucopia, which to me vaguely resembles singletree's kingdom.

Treasure of the Sea

Native Village, Menagerie, Island, Horse Traders, Bazaar, Merchant Ship, Treasury, Harvest, Horn of Plenty, Hunting Party,

Horn of Plenty megaturn! This board looks so fun. Love this kind of boards  ;D

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1609
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2016, 12:31:53 pm »

Desert Journey
Provinces/Estates

Thanks for the kingdom, singletree! It looks quite interesting. Next time my friend brings over Intrigue we will be able to play it.

A strategy with Silk Roads might work, the crossroads will make your deck a bit more resilient to greening. Topdecking a Nomad Camp could also help you get the occasional expensive VP later in the game.

Then again, a traditional engine with Bazaar, Highway and Spice Merchant might be even better.

Also, what is the role of Trading Post? Looks like kind of a high oppurtunity cost when you are either trying to get lots of VP and it is a Duchy or this, or when your going engine and you could get a Highway or Bazaar instead?

You are correct, Trading Post is weak here and I don't think you should ever get it. You might try replacing it with Haggler.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 2.15 seconds with 21 queries.