Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Resistance in Real Life  (Read 1631 times)

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
Resistance in Real Life
« on: April 05, 2016, 09:57:59 am »

Can someone who's run games in real life give me some tips?  I'm going to attempt it without the game itself.  I can make pass/fail cards easy enough, and handing out roles I can figure out.

I'm wondering about the revealing spies to each other part, and such.  Does closing eyes really work?
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
Re: Resistance in Real Life
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 10:02:27 am »

I'm wondering about the revealing spies to each other part, and such.  Does closing eyes really work?

Yes. I've only played Avalon, but base Resistance only has spies right ? In that case it's even easier, takes ten seconds.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 10:04:44 am »

Can someone who's run games in real life give me some tips?  I'm going to attempt it without the game itself.  I can make pass/fail cards easy enough, and handing out roles I can figure out.

I just say everyone close your eyes; spies open your eyes; 1 2 3 4 5; spies close your eyes; everyone open your eyes.

It's best if you're in a place you can not have to turn your head if you are a spy and talking

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 10:44:01 am »

I just say everyone close your eyes; spies open your eyes; 1 2 3 4 5; spies close your eyes; everyone open your eyes.

It's best if you're in a place you can not have to turn your head if you are a spy and talking

It should be 8 players, and they'll be seated in a diamond shape, facing inward.

I figure I'll use playing cards for everything: Jacks as spies, for example.  Each mission, I can give everyone two cards (red and black) and have them secretly submit pass (black) and fail (red).  Shuffle everything, then reveal.

Is that about it?

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 11:07:46 am »

It should be 8 players, and they'll be seated in a diamond shape, facing inward.

I figure I'll use playing cards for everything: Jacks as spies, for example.  Each mission, I can give everyone two cards (red and black) and have them secretly submit pass (black) and fail (red).  Shuffle everything, then reveal.

Is that about it?

Yep!  Just make sure you never think about submitting a pass or fail.  Best spy tell.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 11:24:35 am »

Is that about it?

Yep!  Just make sure you never think about submitting a pass or fail.  Best spy tell.

Our solution is to always pretend to think about it.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 12:17:57 pm »

Same here. I always shuffle my Pass/Fail cards before looking at them and picking one, it gives me some extra time to think. Somehow no one has ever called me out on it. I have the actual game too, so there's some extra time while fishing for the pairs and handing them out to each of the relevant players.

Although obviously if someone spends 20 seconds looking at their cards, it's going to raise suspicions.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2016, 07:02:09 am »

Be really sure that no one sees which pass/fail cards players get for missions, since I assume you're not using multiple decks for this.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2016, 07:25:26 am »

Be really sure that no one sees which pass/fail cards players get for missions, since I assume you're not using multiple decks for this.

I have two decks, so I'll be able to double-up at least.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2016, 12:14:38 pm »

Our solution is to always pretend to think about it.

In my group, everyone has to shuffle the cards for at least about 10 seconds when they receive them. I encourage spies to use that time to decide which card they're going to play, as that way they can play them immediately after deciding.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 19 queries.