Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: The Face of Dominion  (Read 9131 times)

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
Re: The Face of Dominion
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2016, 11:08:48 pm »

Base - Chapel. Often regarded as the most important card in the game. It also has that major breakthrough moment for new players when they realise it isn't just a counter to Witch and they want to get rid of their starting cards.

Intrigue - Nobles. The only card that includes both of the set's new mechanics, choices and victory cards that are not dead cards.

Seaside - Fishing Village. A duration that changes the way you play or next turn and how you construct your deck.

Alchemy - Vineyard. Costs a potion and makes you want a lot of action cards.

Prosperity - Colony/Platinum. Several cards are suped up versions of the base set, so why not go for the suped up base treasure and victory card.

Cornucopia - Menagerie. Has both strategic and tactical implications as you want variety in both your deck and your current hand.

Hinterlands - Border Village. Highlights the difference an on gain effect can make to a card.

Dark Ages - Fortress. Allows for all sorts of trash for benefit shenanigans.

Guilds - Stonemason. Often bought because of the overpay option.

Adventures - Teacher.  The end of a traveller line that is a reserve which uses tokens.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2016, 12:36:50 am »

This is the face.

It's been long enough that there are users who have never seen it, right? :)

You guys need a new photo. I actually met Donald X. not long ago. He oddly resembles many of the bearded men we so commonly see on Dominion cards.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2016, 12:40:06 am »
+9

Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2016, 02:28:55 am »
+2

That's supposed to be Wei-Hwa Huang (designer of Roll for the Galaxy). He won a tournament for that prize.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2016, 02:48:38 am »
+1

That's supposed to be Wei-Hwa Huang (designer of Roll for the Galaxy). He won a tournament for that prize.
He should have left it on the bottom of his deck and drawn something better.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2016, 05:21:27 am »

Alchemy: Transmute - complicated, in a bad way.
'Mute team to the rescue!
Transmute is actually really simple and amazingly cute, its problem is its awful cost (being terminal also doesn't help much).
For me, alchemy's worst is probably Philosopher stone. It's kind of slow to play, has a whacky cost (anything from 3P upwards is very swingy, in particular in a BM setting, which is where you want phil stone), is hardly ever worth its Potion, and ultimately pretty dull.

I think that if it topdecked itself on gain, it would be a much better card (Essentially bypassing the potion cost).
Now I'll go back to the Variants subforum, promise.

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2016, 05:29:04 am »

For me, alchemy's worst is probably Philosopher stone. It's kind of slow to play, has a whacky cost (anything from 3P upwards is very swingy, in particular in a BM setting, which is where you want phil stone), is hardly ever worth its Potion, and ultimately pretty dull.

You want PStone in slogs, not in Big Money games. It can spike Provinces on its own when your deck is very crappy. The Potion cost really hurts, I agree, and it doesn't help that most other Alchemy cards really like engines. Basically you only want it when Familiar is on the board without good trashing... (like here: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=15099.0 )
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2016, 10:00:17 am »

He should have left it on the bottom of his deck and drawn something better.

Clearly, the art took more inspiration from 'Diver' than from 'Pearl'.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 1.449 seconds with 21 queries.