Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10  All

Author Topic: What does everyone think is the best village 2.0  (Read 49424 times)

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
What does everyone think is the best village 2.0
« on: April 05, 2016, 09:26:20 am »

This is a redone version of my best village poll. Some errors were called to my attention, and I thought I should fix the poll. Probably most of you don't want to vote on the practically the same poll twice  :), but some people wanted to change their votes, and others wanted me to add more pseudo and conditional villages. Now you can also change your vote, so if you want me to add a card, I can do that and you can change your vote and vote for it.

I did not add the Throne Room variants because I think they are quite different from villages. They just allow other cards to be played like villages.
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
Re: What does everyone think is the best village 2.0
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2016, 09:28:59 am »
+2

I did not add the Throne Room variants because I think they are quite different from villages. They just allow other cards to be played like villages.

Not at all! You don't necessarily even need any cards with +1 Action for Throne Room to be a village. Start a hand with Throne Room / Throne Room / Smithy and keep the chain going with more throne rooms and payload / draw.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2016, 09:29:37 am »

Also, since some people voted the wrong card by accident, and many wanted more cards added, I will be closing the original best village poll, but leave this one open.

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2016, 09:30:55 am »

Not at all! You don't necessarily even need any cards with +1 Action for Throne Room to be a village. Start a hand with Throne Room / Throne Room / Smithy and keep the chain going with more throne rooms and payload / draw.

Good point! Never thought of that. If lots of people vote your comment up, or have similar posts, I will add them. However, once KC is added, almost everyone will vote for it  :).

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2016, 09:31:02 am »

Which is why the term "splitter" is preferable, because it is clearly inclusive.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Aleimon Thimble

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Aleimon Thimble
  • Respect: +711
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2016, 09:36:24 am »

Yeah, I changed my vote now that Herald's there. I'm a huge fan of Herald.

If you fail to hit an Action, it's a vanilla cantrip - weak, but the chance of that happening decreases quickly if you have any decent trashing (which you probably have or you wouldn't be so inclined to build an engine), and it least it won't ever hurt your deck (unlike Throne Room, for example). If you DO hit an Action, it's +2 cards/+2 Actions - pretty damn ridiculous for $4. Lost City costs $5 and has a penalty. If you hit another Herald, it's at least +3 cards/+3 Actions. Holy balls.
[...] The God of heaven has given you Dominion [...] (Daniel 2:37)

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2016, 09:56:27 am »

If you fail to hit an Action, it's a vanilla cantrip - weak, but the chance of that happening decreases quickly if you have any decent trashing (which you probably have or you wouldn't be so inclined to build an engine), and it least it won't ever hurt your deck (unlike Throne Room, for example). If you DO hit an Action, it's +2 cards/+2 Actions - pretty damn ridiculous for $4. Lost City costs $5 and has a penalty. If you hit another Herald, it's at least +3 cards/+3 Actions. Holy balls.
One problem with Herald is that you need to pay attention in which order you play or actions. Herald chains can end abruptly if you hit a terminal action. Without villages, I think heralds are a bit to erratic for my liking  ;).

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 10:01:49 am »

Champion never fails to give you +actions, so that's cool.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2016, 10:04:13 am »

True, but it can take a while to get. And if you have a deck with lots of + actions, the + 1 action sometimes doesn't really matter.
I want to try Champion with Diadem.

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2016, 10:14:06 am »
+1

One problem with Herald is that you need to pay attention in which order you play or actions. Herald chains can end abruptly if you hit a terminal action. Without villages, I think heralds are a bit to erratic for my liking  ;).

Um, are you thinking of Golem?  Herald always gives an action.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2016, 10:14:32 am »

It doesn't end if the terminal action draws cards.  Herald into Smithy is one of the best outcomes you can get.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5161
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2016, 10:17:03 am »
+1

Golem is missing in the listby the way. Definitely calls for a "what does everyone think is the best village 3.0" thread.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2016, 10:21:55 am »

It doesn't end if the terminal action draws cards.  Herald into Smithy is one of the best outcomes you can get.
Right, I've been playing Herald wrong all along  :-[. I guess that's why we have these discussions.

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2016, 10:23:08 am »

Golem is missing in the listby the way. Definitely calls for a "what does everyone think is the best village 3.0" thread.
As usual, if enough people say the same thing or vote up your comment, I will add Golem to this poll. Now everyone can change their votes, too.

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2016, 10:40:53 am »
+1

For cost/effectiveness, Fishing Village is undisputed. Yes, Champion is amazing. Yes, Border Village is amazing. Yes, Lost Arts, Bazaar, Herald, Ironmonger, all these Village cards are amazing. But they're also expensive and/or inconvenient to get or set up to become effective. For the cost, Fishing Village blows all of these cards out of the water. It's not even close.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 10:41:54 am by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2016, 10:49:52 am »

For cost/effectiveness, Fishing Village is undisputed. Yes, Champion is amazing. Yes, Border Village is amazing. Yes, Lost Arts, Bazaar, Herald, Ironmonger, all these Village cards are amazing. But they're also expensive and/or inconvenient to get or set up to become effective. For the cost, Fishing Village blows all of these cards out of the water. It's not even close.
You didn't mention Wandering Minstrel as being amazing. You've made a powerful enemy, Seprix!

Also, Border Village and Bazaar are pretty expensive for villages, but what is inconvenient about Ironmonger or Herald?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 10:52:27 am by McGarnacle »

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2016, 10:55:01 am »

You didn't mention Wandering Minstrel as being amazing. You've made a powerful enemy, Seprix!

Also, Border Village and Bazaar are pretty expensive for villages, but what is inconvenient about Ironmonger or Herald?

Ironmonger might miss, it's not always a village until you start thinning out, and that takes work.

Herald might miss, it's not always a village until you start thinning out, and that takes work.

They're both great cards, but I'm thinking more in terms of a reliable village you can use instantly.

Wandering Minstrel is pretty great though.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2016, 11:01:27 am by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2016, 10:55:36 am »
+2

Would you mind making your polls public?

Seeing who voted what is much more interesting than some anonymous average, and it's not as if knowing that Mic loves Squire is going to affect my choice.

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2016, 10:58:17 am »
+14

Thank you for your suggestion. It will be addressed at "What does everyone think is the best village 6.0".

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2016, 11:00:29 am »
+3

Thank you for your suggestion. It will be addressed at "What does everyone think is the best village 6.0".

v.6.0 release notes: more animations

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2016, 11:10:53 am »

Border Village is not expensive, it doesn't even cost a buy and it only costs $1 in dollars, too. Fishing Village costs $3 and a buy, and on the turn you play it, it's a super crappy card (although it is pretty good the turn after that).
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2016, 11:16:05 am »
+1

Seeing who voted what is much more interesting than some anonymous average, and it's not as if knowing that Mic loves Squire is going to affect my choice.
I will do that on the next poll. I just thought some people might prefer to keep their votes a secret, but now they have been warned  :).

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2016, 11:30:06 am »

Border Village is not expensive, it doesn't even cost a buy and it only costs $1 in dollars, too. Fishing Village costs $3 and a buy, and on the turn you play it, it's a super crappy card (although it is pretty good the turn after that).

Unless you want to gain a 4 cost. Or a 3 cost. Or a 2 cost. Yes, yes, edgecase.

The $6 spike in cost is still pretty annoying. It's worth getting a free village with whatever you really wanted that's worth $5, but again, it's still annoying when you only hit $5 instead, and BV is the ONLY village on the board.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2016, 11:50:41 am »

I voted Lost Arts. FV is great, but I feel LA might in the long run be seen add the strongest village variant.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2016, 12:04:50 pm »

I voted Lost Arts. FV is great, but I feel LA might in the long run be seen add the strongest village variant.

In terms of treating Lost Arts as a village - are we only considering the case where LA is converting a cantrip into a village? Because making a draw card nonterminal doesn't increase your terminal space and allow you to play multiple terminal actions - though it obviously helps you use your terminal space on something other than draw. I wouldn't call that the same thing as a village precisely.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10  All

Page created in 2.256 seconds with 21 queries.