Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dominion Everycard  (Read 1364 times)

Buchenrad

• Pawn
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
Dominion Everycard
« on: April 12, 2016, 03:46:34 pm »
+3

My friend (who owns all the expansions) and I developed a rule set for playing with every card.  Thus far we have played a few times and I find it to be quite enjoyable but it can be a bit long (2-3 hours ish).  I figured I would share.  Feel free to give feedback and ideas as this is still a work in progress.  Also since this is the first time I have written this up, I may have left out some details so if you see any holes then say something and Ill try and fill them.

The following is just how we did it.  You may or may not need or want to make changes if you do not have all the expansions or dislike a certain mechanic.

SET UP:

1.  Remove Estate, Duchy, Province, Colony, Copper, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Potion, and Curse from the randomizer deck.

2.  Separate the remaining randomizer cards into the 8 following supply piles:  (these will henceforth be referred to as "Randomizer Supply Piles")
1 pile of all 2 costers
1 pile of all 3 costers
2 even piles of 4 costers
2 even piles of 5 costers
1 pile of all cards with potion in its cost
1 pile of all other cards (6+ costers and 1 costers)

3.  Shuffle all randomizer supply piles and place them face down, only ever revealing the top card of each pile.

4.  Set out Estate, Duchy, Province, Colony, Copper, Silver, Gold, Platinum, Potion, Curse, Ruins as the static supply piles.

5.  Set up the game box(es) close by containing the playable copies of the cards (other than the above mentioned static supply piles which get set out) in such a manner that they can be easily accessed at frequent intervals (most likely each turn) throughout the game.  This is much easier if you consolidate all your cards into one box or case.

6.  Deal to each player:
7 Copper
1 Necropolis
1 Coupon for a Moat (Action Card; Value 0; Card text reads: "Trash this card. Gain a Moat.")
1 Coupon for a Black Market (Action Card; Value 0; Card text reads: "Trash this card. Gain a Black Market.")
[for the coupon cards we use the blank faced cards with the letter A or B written on them with a side sheet of paper serving as a legend as to what each card is]

7.  Establish setup conditions for the 3 cards that have them (Baker, Trade Route, and Young Witch).  I prefer to ignore the start condition for Baker altogether, start counting Trade Route tokens when Trade Route shows up in the supply, and designate Black market as the Bane card for Young Witch at the start of the game.  Do what feels right to you here.

GAMEPLAY:  Gameplay is standard Dominion rules with the following exceptions:

1.  When a card is gained from the top of a randomizer supply pile, one of the playable copies is retrieved from the game box and given to the player and the randomizer copy is transferred to the Black market deck.

2.  Immediately when a card is removed from a randomizer supply pile for any reason, the card beneath it is revealed.

3.  The text of the Black Market card is revised as follows:
You may remove the top card of any one randomizer supply pile and set it aside.
If you do, at the end of your turn put it into the black market deck.
+$2
Shuffle the Black Market deck and reveal the top 3 cards.
You may buy one of them immediately.

[Black Market is carefully worded to allow you to opt out of your Black Market purchase if the card you reveal from under the card you discarded is one you would prefer to purchase while still not shuffling the card you removed into the Black Market deck before you draw your 3 cards]

4.  When a card instructs you to gain a specific card (such as with the beginning coupons or with cards like Sumgglers) you directly gain a playable copy of that card from the game box.

5.  When a card instructs you to gain a card that meets a specified set of restrictions without giving a specific name (such as with Altar, Border Village, or Hero) that card must come from a static or randomizer supply pile.

6.  Cards that are part of the static supply piles or on top of one of the randomizer supply piles are the only cards considered to be in the supply

In my experience these rule changes add a slightly higher element of chance and luck and a good dose of madness and unpredictability.  To me its a nice break from the standard grind of making a strategy out of the usual well defined parameters.

Disclaimer:  Due to the obnoxious size and diversity of the supply piles, there is a very serious possibility that inexperienced players can create a truly glorious slog that can make the game last through eternity (a condition that in normal rules is solved by the three supply pile end game trigger; the trigger still stands in this ruleset, but is almost completely negated by the size of the supply piles) so I advise that this is played by experienced players who know when to buy something and when not to (specifically how to limit the acquisition of terminal actions).

Ankenaut

• Bishop
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion Everycard
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 04:06:42 pm »

I like this. Thanks for sharing.

I've done something similar where we just sort one of every Kingdom card into 5 piles based on whether they cost <=2, 3, 4, 5, >=6. The piles are shuffled, face-down. The top card from each pile is face-up. When you buy a card, you can either buy the top one (the one you can see) or the face down card underneath it. If you choose the un-seen card, the top card is placed on the bottom of the pile and you then turn over a new top card. I can't remember what we did with potion-cost cards.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 08:06:58 pm »

Fun for party games, although setting up is too complicated. There are similar ideas - Heart of Crown, and Quantum Dominion.

I wonder if Traveller cards are included to Randomizer Deck. Prizes, Madman, Spoils, Mercenary.
I do not touch 4-cost pile if the top is Treasure Map.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 12:08:24 am »

Seems pretty neat actually. I'll have to try it sometime...

Buchenrad

• Pawn
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 01:26:17 pm »

Fun for party games, although setting up is too complicated. There are similar ideas - Heart of Crown, and Quantum Dominion.

I wonder if Traveller cards are included to Randomizer Deck. Prizes, Madman, Spoils, Mercenary.
I do not touch 4-cost pile if the top is Treasure Map.

I agree about the party games bit.  We have a regular group that has played dominion on average every other week for the last year and a half so we try and mix it up a bit.  Its definitely not a normal thing.

As a general rule, if a card is not in the supply you do not get a randomizer copy.  Page and Peasant have randomizers but not any of their later iterations.  Madman, Spiils, and Mercenary do not have randomizers.  Knights has one randomizer that represents the whole set.  Im pretty sure Ruins does not have a randomizer even though it is in the supply.  I guess thats because its only added as a reaction to another kingdom card being added.

And set up is no more complicated for us since we sit there for 15 minutes anyway every time we play speculating and bickering about what cards will best complete the game.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 01:36:15 pm by Buchenrad »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.