Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Dominion Cards You Hate  (Read 18143 times)

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
Dominion Cards You Hate
« on: March 24, 2016, 01:59:36 pm »

I despise Rebuild. Simply despise it. But a card I hate even more? Treasury. I just don't like it at all. I hate buying it. It doesn't even seem all that good. Wow, an extra $1 for $5. Yippee.

On a side note, I don't actually hate Black Market. In fact, I rather like it.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1493
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
Re: Dominion Cards You Hate
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 02:07:55 pm »

If you've ever watched one of my streams, you'll probably know that I hate Rebuild, and might know that I dislike Ghost Ship as well. They're both banned IRL in my group. I also quite like Black Market, especially IRL where we play with all of the cards. Although I think it can be annoying in competitive play because it can be swingy. Recently, I played maybe the only enjoyable Rebuild game I've ever played, because Rebuild was only a small part of each of our strategies.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (ī。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 02:30:30 pm »
+1

I think Rebuild is fine. Rebuild games are not that difficult, but it is far more skippable than people think (perhaps you only go for it about 90-93% of the time), quite often the other strategy can actually beat Rebuild, and even when it can't, Rebuild games aren't that boring. I mean, there are still far more decisions involved than there are in, say, Smithy variant/BM, and some of the decisions can be quite interesting and sometimes even counterintuitive.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Mavy2k

• Navigator
  • Respect: +64
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 02:32:59 pm »
+1

Rebuild is on the top of my list as well. The card is just stupid.
A close number 2 is Smugglers. I really hate that card.
Treasure Map is a card I completely ignore on all boards. May not be the smartest move on some boards, but I just donīt like the card at all.
I try to avoid Lookout, whenever possible. Happened to often that I hit the only 3 cards in my deck I didnīt want to trash.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 02:34:48 pm »
+1

Oh, yeah. I despise Smugglers.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

wachsmuth

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +347
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 03:51:49 pm »
+1

Possession, Rebuild, Spy, Governor

3 of them promote a style of play I don't like, and Spy is slow as fuck and doesn't even do anything.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 03:52:39 pm »

Possession, Rebuild, Spy, Governor

3 of them promote a style of play I don't like, and Spy is slow as fuck and doesn't even do anything.

What's wrong with Governor?

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 03:52:52 pm »
+1

It's not a card, but Scouting Party is garbage.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2016, 04:01:27 pm »

I know, right? I mean, it doesn't draw any victory cards. In fact, it doesn't draw anything at all!

I don't know about any cards I personally hate. I remember with Isotropic Veto mode, I woukd usually try to veto the card that was least likely to impact the board. I gues I don't care for Possession because those extra turns can feel like they drag the game on.

I do avoid playing with Rebuild IRL against players that don't know how good it is. Tournament is another card I try to avoid introducing to new players too early.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 04:02:02 pm »

It's a lot better than you think. :)

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2016, 04:18:02 pm »

Saboteur, Spy, Scrying Pool, Rebuild

nate_w

• Navigator
  • Respect: +115
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2016, 04:25:28 pm »
+2

Cultist is the only card in the game I dislike. Ends up being a cultist BM into slog game a super high percent of the time. And I don't mind BM games! But it feels super luck ball. You both opened silver silver but I won the ruins split 7/3? Whelp, sorry. Gg.

amoffett11

• Golem
  • Respect: +272
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2016, 04:27:26 pm »
+3

Why would anyone hate Smugglers?  It's fun.  It's like a fun Workshop+.  Maybe you don't get what you want, but you still get something.  In games where you're playing a mirror, it can be great.  You buy a Wharf, I Smuggle a Wharf and buy a village. 

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2016, 04:30:53 pm »

It's a lot better than you think. :)
It might be. But for now, I dislike it because there are much better options.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2016, 04:52:59 pm »
+1

Why would anyone hate Smugglers?  It's fun.  It's like a fun Workshop+.  Maybe you don't get what you want, but you still get something.  In games where you're playing a mirror, it can be great.  You buy a Wharf, I Smuggle a Wharf and buy a village.

It's incredibly swingy. I could have a great turn, do all this stuff an get a nice shiny Wharf for my effort. Well, darn it, you Smuggled that Wharf and you get something else too. It's not that much of a fun card.

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5161
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2016, 05:17:15 pm »
+2

It gets ugly if both players play Smuggler-heavy and effectively cannot gain anything because that would make the other player gain even more of that stuff.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2016, 05:46:14 pm »
+2

See a previous thread on this same topic: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13338.0

My entry: Donald X on Rebuild: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/14094365#14094365

In retrospect the card is clearly too powerful for how interesting it is. Which is to say, the most powerful cards should make for lots of interesting gameplay and different situations; Chapel for example may be strong, but the games play out differently depending on the rest of the cards. With Rebuild the rest of the cards are too unlikely to get involved in your Rebuild deck.

For casual players it probably isn't a problem, unless one of them reads online about how to use Rebuild. For serious players you will probably have more fun just not playing with Rebuild after you've had the experience. I would rather that not be the case, but well at least there are 34 other kingdom cards in Dark Ages.

Rebuild and Cultist are the biggest offenders on this front for me. Cards that are too weak also make the game less fun.

I got better at making sets after Intrigue. I can believe that people playing the base set by itself might feel like it needs something. There are some duds, and those duds reduce strategic options. The base set has done great anyway, but you know, there's room for improvement. But I mean take out the duds and you're there, that's what I think. If someone plays a random ten from Dark Ages they are not going to see all these boards with nothing to do.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2016, 05:55:53 pm »

See a previous thread on this same topic: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13338.0

My entry: Donald X on Rebuild: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/14094365#14094365

In retrospect the card is clearly too powerful for how interesting it is. Which is to say, the most powerful cards should make for lots of interesting gameplay and different situations; Chapel for example may be strong, but the games play out differently depending on the rest of the cards. With Rebuild the rest of the cards are too unlikely to get involved in your Rebuild deck.

For casual players it probably isn't a problem, unless one of them reads online about how to use Rebuild. For serious players you will probably have more fun just not playing with Rebuild after you've had the experience. I would rather that not be the case, but well at least there are 34 other kingdom cards in Dark Ages.

Rebuild and Cultist are the biggest offenders on this front for me. Cards that are too weak also make the game less fun.

I got better at making sets after Intrigue. I can believe that people playing the base set by itself might feel like it needs something. There are some duds, and those duds reduce strategic options. The base set has done great anyway, but you know, there's room for improvement. But I mean take out the duds and you're there, that's what I think. If someone plays a random ten from Dark Ages they are not going to see all these boards with nothing to do.

Cultist *can* be fun, depending on other cards. The cards I mentioned - Saboteur, Scrying Pool, Spy, Rebuild - are, imo, never fun, *regardless* of the kingdom. They are either not used at all, or overused. And just not much fun to play with.

Edit: in my personal experience, of course. :)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 06:10:37 pm by AdrianHealey »

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2016, 06:22:49 pm »
+1

There is only one card that I despise: Swindler.

Rebuild really isn't that bad though. Cultist can be very annoying though.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2016, 06:37:01 pm »
+14

Those despising Rebuild or Cultist should realise how fortunate they are... Silver is in every single game.

funkdoc

• Witch
  • Respect: +414
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2016, 06:52:48 pm »

i think cultist is easily worse than rebuild simply because it's terminal draw, which makes it play a lot less nicely with other actions.  rebuild has a fair amount of good synergies, even if they're just minor stuff like monument, and i like the fact that it makes rogue good.

i totally get the scrying pool hate if you play IRL; that applies to alchemy in general, which is why i don't fault BGG for hating that expansion so much.  but if it's just online, i don't see it...pool enables lots of cool stuff that makes all the clicking worth it imo

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2016, 07:58:53 pm »

It gets funny if both players play Smuggler-heavy and effectively cannot gain anything because that would make the other player gain even more of that stuff.

FTFY.

My personal experience is that a lot of the cards that I once hated have ended up growing on me. After so many games of Dominion I've come to appreciate cards that offer radically different experiences such as Rebuild, Black Market, Swindler and Possession, because even if those games can be swingy or annoying they force you to approach the game in a novel way. The only cards that I mildly dislike are boring ones, i.e. Scout and Adventurer.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

theJester

• Bishop
  • Respect: +88
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2016, 08:00:11 pm »
+1

Cultist - very often Cultist games just turn into Cultist races, turning potentially interesting kingdoms into boring single-type strategies

Possession, Smugglers - instead of building your own deck, these two let you piggyback on your opponent's. Especially frustrating is an interaction between Smugglers and GM (so I finally managed to get to 6$ without Coppers, which will let me buy GM. Aaaaand my opponents just Smuggled it for free.

Torturer - 3P Torturer chain game was the most unfun game of Dominion I've ever played

xyz123

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +511
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2016, 08:57:09 pm »

I wouldn't say there are cards I hate, but there are set ups I hate because the game can come down to who gets a certain card.

1) Tournament with no trashing and no other cursers. In such a set up if you don't get Followers you are guaranteed to end up with all 10 curses in your deck.

2) Knights with no other trashing and Dame Anna is the top Knight. Whoever is first to have a 5 hand has a significant advantage.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2016, 09:14:24 pm »
+2

1) Tournament with no trashing and no other cursers. In such a set up if you don't get Followers you are guaranteed to end up with all 10 curses in your deck.

Not a guarantee!  Usually they won't get the opportunity to play Followers 10 times before the game ends.  I think getting stuck with 10 Curses is actually really unlikely -- remember that Followers also junks the one who played it with an Estate.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 2.175 seconds with 20 queries.