Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Author Topic: WanderingWinder makes a YouTube Channel  (Read 67587 times)

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
WanderingWinder makes a YouTube Channel
« on: January 19, 2012, 05:35:50 pm »
+13

The URL is here: www.youtube.com/user/WanderingWinder
I've got a couple dozen videos up. Apart from the tournament matches (which are the best), I'd recommend Masquerade Strategy most, followed by the two games where I play against ambassador.
I've got lots more videos over at the livestream place, though many of them aren't as good. I'm trying to post the best to the YouTube.
Please leave comments, suggestions, etc. I hope you enjoy!

JanErik

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
Re: WanderingWinder makes a YouTube Channel
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2012, 06:10:33 pm »
+1

Awesome, I always have problems with Ambassador (playing it myself and playing against). The Videos helped me quite a bit.

If you can, host some more of them Ambassador games please. ;)

Will you be hosting only your games, or do you accept interesting replays send to you?

buggibum

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 09:40:03 pm »
+1

I'm a big fan of your videos.

Here are some things i like/dislike (its just my personal opinion):

- videos needs counter like "game001", so when there are 40 videos i know barely which ive already seen or not.
- Dont like spoilers in the title like strategy a kills strategy b.
- Be more consistent in the titles. Name opponent or main cards used in strategies. For instance: "[004] BM Masquerade vs. KC/Amb (Fabian)" something like that.
- Put videos on youtube into playlists, so i can watch them all at once. :D

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 05:51:48 am »

I agree with buggibum.

Also, I have organized all of these into playlists on the DominionStrategy channel.  I think this is the best way to do it: individual channels, with DominionStrategy as a hub to organize them all.

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 08:38:24 am »

I love the naming strategy that buggibum suggests, although I don't mind seeing a spoiler in the title.

The one other suggestion I would give is to spend just a little bit more time at the beginning explaining how you evaluate the board. I know that you mention the key cards for you, but another sentence or two on why you think specific cards that are normally good won't cut it on this board, or why this board allows a specific card to shine, would be awesome.

Other than that, the videos are excellent! Please keep up the good work.

vulturesrow

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 09:51:53 am »

I love the naming strategy that buggibum suggests, although I don't mind seeing a spoiler in the title.

The one other suggestion I would give is to spend just a little bit more time at the beginning explaining how you evaluate the board. I know that you mention the key cards for you, but another sentence or two on why you think specific cards that are normally good won't cut it on this board, or why this board allows a specific card to shine, would be awesome.

Other than that, the videos are excellent! Please keep up the good work.

A standard naming convention that everyone who posts videos adheres to would actually be a really good idea. I think the suggestion so far is pretty solid.

philosophyguy

• Minion
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 09:57:33 am »

I should say that the tournament naming conventions WW has used (Opponentname Game X) seems fine, and makes it easy to watch the match in order. Maybe buggibum's naming convention should be used for non-tournament games?

vulturesrow

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 10:16:27 am »

I should say that the tournament naming conventions WW has used (Opponentname Game X) seems fine, and makes it easy to watch the match in order. Maybe buggibum's naming convention should be used for non-tournament games?

Well the thing about using buggibums convention is that if I want to search all videos where say Goons was one of the primary cards used then it will find them all pretty easily. Maybe just append the tourney info to the suggested format where it applies?

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 03:37:18 pm »
+1

I love your videos.

Your commentary is concise and to the point, your voice is understandable for non-native English speakers like me and of course, you're a great player.
I like the pace of your videos and how you are thinking out loud while playing. I think you've found a nice balance between things to say in your commentary and things to skip. Your expectance that the crowd already knows a thing or two about Dominion works well for me.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 03:59:07 pm »

I've put some more videos up. Probably I will try to get some that are more basic at some point, quite possibly not on my main account (Like, playing straight BM or playing straight BM+1; but I will lose way too often for my tastes). Or I guess I could have fixed sets to make it not count. Or sparring partners specifically for this if somebody wants to volunteer. But it's not a high priority.
Anyway, a few more videos, with a totally arbitrary numbering system. I expect any matches or anything for particular events I'll be in will be excluded, instead being titled 'whatever match, game 3' kind of thing. But for the random things, I'll just have the regular boring old numbers. I plan on putting maybe a little analysis on the games, possibly with the logs if I can find the time for it, in the comments. When I find the time.
Also, I find I can see all the comments in a YouTube inbox, so I'm trying to respond to them. At least, while there aren't too many.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2012, 04:02:19 pm »
+1

You should try to put at least something in the title -- it's hard to tell different videos apart just by number. 

Remember that you can also rename your old videos.  I think the clearest way would be to number all your videos, in chronological order, like this:

001 - theory - Gardens
002 - Headso - DoubleJack v Vault
etc.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2012, 09:16:47 pm »
+3

You should try to put at least something in the title -- it's hard to tell different videos apart just by number. 

Remember that you can also rename your old videos.  I think the clearest way would be to number all your videos, in chronological order, like this:

001 - theory - Gardens
002 - Headso - DoubleJack v Vault
etc.
Yeah. I realized I needed some of this at least, about right after I posted, but I've been otherwise disposed the rest of the day.
There had been some backlash above against some of that, but as long as I don't say which wins, I think it'll be fine.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 10:35:17 am »
+1

A baker's dozen more videos posted. Some decently different styles on them. Post there to tell me what you guys like/don't like.
I've also added a few comments.

I'm going to try to go over some logs post facto in a couple videos for a different style, but probably I won't have time for that until Sunday, or maybe next week.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 10:49:56 am »

@007:
Yeah, I was actually not so sure with the GS, I was going with my heuristics that gaining T1/2 gains Milita-like attacks are quite harmfull. So get one and than go for the IGGs. The bigger mess were the Ironworks I think, they costed me at least a Province (if they were a Silver), I was somehow preparing for finishing the Estates too early.

buggibum

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2012, 04:28:38 pm »

I'm a fanboy. I watch all your videos, so im happy for new content. I always learn something out of it, even if i disagree sometimes with your strategy, but its still something i learn during the match you prove me right or wrong. In either case i learn something. I love how you draw all strategies and you see which strategy your opponent chooses.

I still have a couple of videos to left to watch... great!  ;D

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2012, 04:30:52 pm »
+1

I also love the videos though I would like to point out that when you do that atrocious accent luck seems to turn against you. It's probably karma,  ;D.

^_^_^_^

• Minion
  • Crazy, You Have Been Warned
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2012, 05:35:36 am »
+1

Awesome job WW! You've steadily gone from unsure as to how to do this to confident and precise. You sir, are a pro.
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Doug Z
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Donald X
The cost to buy me is 5Copper. What's Your Cost?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2012, 02:15:10 pm »

A bunch more videos up. I would particularly recommend 027 through 030, 033, and 037

Morgrim7

• Torturer
  • Torturer chains? How primitive.
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 12:48:39 pm »

Awsome job! Really like your videos. Please host some games with posession, golem, and philosophers stone; I really don't like those cards. What would you do with them?
"Oh sweet merciful heavens.

I sit here, lost amongst the cloud, that which is the brain of the Morgrim Mod. Perhaps I will learn the inner workings of that storied mind. Perhaps I will simply go mad.

Mad, I tell you.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaad." -Voltgloss
Dominion Notation: http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7265.msg206246#msg206246

Cheese

• Swindler
  • Respect: +23
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2012, 03:20:44 am »

Oh dear god, I'm addicted.

ArjanB

• Spy
  • Respect: +28
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2012, 04:42:39 am »

Yeah I like this alot!

I watch alot of live chess videos ( kingscrusher, you might know him) and this is much alike.

Keep on going WW

aaron0013

• Explorer
  • Respect: +220
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2012, 01:53:34 pm »
+1

Just wanted to give a big thanks to Wandering Winder for all your posts and videos. You have helped me immensely in my strategy and play-style. 
Keep on posting!

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2012, 10:17:47 am »
+1

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. Morgrim7 - if those cards come up, I will definitely do videos with them! I think there are some possession ones already, but you know, it's a card that's usually pretty well ignored... Phil Stone is almost always just an ignore card, and golem... well it really depends on the rest of the set. In a couple weeks, IsoDom Challenge will be alchemy-heavy, so these cards will probably see 3-4 games each.
ArjanB - yes, I quite like KC's YouTube channel as well!
aaron0013 - I don't want to shape your style, at least not to fit with mine! There are lots of other styles that are also good and probably more fun. cf. chwhite

Anyway, a new batch of videos went up a couple days ago. 039 is the most fun of the bunch.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2012, 12:56:31 pm »
+3

Been doing a LOT of recording recently. Switched my quality settings recently, which makes my computer much much happier - I record one copy of every video instead of three, and it's much less CPU-intensive. I still may need to fine-tune though. So let me know if my recent uploads are too high/low quality, I can tweak it. Now, I just uploaded like over 20 videos, but that's actually being choosy here. Like I said, I've been recording A LOT. But I also suggest you check out 051 vs theory, of the older ones, if you haven't checked it out yet.
Keep a lookout for the next round of IsoDom challenge, which is probably going up today too.

Also, sometime in the next couple days, I have a couple new ideas here which you can watch out for.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2012, 10:49:35 pm »
+5

Alright guys. It's going down. In that the quality of the videos is, hopefully, going up. I introduce to you: Dominion: The Next Level. Starting with game number 75, I'm making a concerted effort to talk through my strategy more, and, more importantly, think through my strategy more, to try to give a better impression of optimal play. I'll take all the support you guys give me (mostly in the forms of comments!) in this endeavour.

Also, I posted a couple intro to dominion how to play kind of videos.

Edit: Also figured out how to post longer-than-15 minute videos, which means that the long lost 3rd game of my match against allfail from the DS tourney last year has now been uploaded  :)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 10:52:16 pm by WanderingWinder »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6  All

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.