Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Dark Dynasty I  (Read 4005 times)

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
    • View Profile
Dark Dynasty I
« on: March 12, 2016, 11:14:50 pm »

Welcome to Roadrunner7671's Dark Dynasty I

This is a game similar to Forum Mafia, but I don't want the end product to be very similar to Mafia or Werewolves of Miller's Hollow. Signups are open, there is room for 12 players:
1. Gkrieg13
2. Jack Rudd
3. Chairs
4. Kuildeous
Spectators: 2.7, SirMartin, Faust

The Standard Rules
1. This is a game.  Everyone who signs up to play must be considerate of each other, never get personal, and focus on having fun.
1.  No communication between players outside of the game thread or QTs at any time.  This includes passing references, jokes, or cases in other games or threads.
2.  If the game thread or QT is locked, do not post.  If you are unsure if something is locked, ask the mod by PM.
3.  Direct or verbatim quoting of mod-provided information is strictly forbidden.  Paraphrasing is okay.
4.  Town night actions must be submitted by PM to the mod within 24 hours of day's end.  The most recent order will always be valid.
6.  Players must post once every 24 hours.
7.  Do not edit or delete posts, ever.  If you need to clarify or correct something, post again.
8.  Invisible text, fonts size less than 8, and spoiler tags are not allowed.
9.  Cryptography is not allowed.
11.  Dead players may not post in thread or QT.  A lynched player is not "dead" until a flip has been provided.

The Deadlines
1. Each morning will last 24 IRL hours.
2. Each day will last 5 IRL days.
3. Each twilight will last 24 IRL hours.
4. Each night will last 48 IRL hours.

The Game Phases
1. During the morning, each player gets their income, both Status Points and Gold Pieces. You may not post in the thread during the morning. 
2. During the day, anyone can post anything they want (provided it doesn't violate any rules). For any Villainous roles, their posts are encouraged to deflect suspicion from themselves and onto others. Any Village roles should try to make posts encouraging people to vote for certain other people, as they are more likely to be Villainous than other players for some reason or another.
3. During twilight, the thread will be locked. Each player should, in their QT, submit a vote in the format Vote: PlayerName or Vote: No Lynch. This vote cannot be changed. After 24 hours, anyone who has not voted will be randomly assigned to vote for a player or a no lynch. The votes will then be tallied and reported by the moderator in the thread. Whoever got the most votes will be lynched or killed. If 'No Lynch' got the most votes, no one will be lynched and the game will enter the night phase.
4. During the night phase, any player with a night action has the option to perform it. Night actions must be submitted before 36 IRL hours pass after the lynch.

Other Rules
 1.  Bold, purple text is reserved for the Mod(s).  Players may not use them.
2.  If you have an issue or problem with the game, please PM the Mod.  Do not post complaints in the game thread.
3.  Mods make mistakes - please point them out gently.  If they can be corrected, they will.  If irreversible, they will stand as final to be commiserated over after the game.
4. A player may post as much or as little as they wish, but by signing up, you are encouraged to post!
5. All rule violations will be dealt with according to their severity, as determined by the mod.

If you have questions before the game because I wasn’t clear enough, please ask!
Also, please keep in mind that this is a learning experience and I would be pleased with feedback from the players and any spectators.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 04:18:00 pm by Roadrunner7671 »
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
Re: Dark Dynasty I
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 11:14:57 pm »

This setup is semi-open, no one can be quite sure what roles there will be (besides me, of course).

Each setup will include one Shaman, three Orcs and two Villagers. The remaining roles will be determined by the roll of a 20 sided die six times.
1-10. Villager
11. Woodcutter
12. Jeweler
13. Saddler
14. Soldier
15. Tactican
16. Warden
17. Neighbor
18. Pauper
19. Poacher
20. Magician

For example, if an eighteen is rolled three times, three Paupers will be added to the setup.

The following plots will be added to the setup:
Ports
Farms
Quarries

Terminology to know:
Gold pieces- This is a form of currency used to purchase goods, and, for some roles, it is used to perform their night action.
Homes- This is where any player of any alignment lives. Homes generate Gold Pieces for the player, but not all homes are created equally.
Land- Land can be bought publicly. Land generates Gold Pieces for players, but can have other effects as well.
Goods- Goods are created by certain village roles, and they can be sold to give both the buyer and seller benefits.
Workplaces- Workplaces are added in the town if certain roles are in the game. If there are multiple copies of the same role, only one workplace will be added. If the workplace is destroyed, any roles that added the workplace can no longer perform their night action, create goods, or collect income.

As you can see, there is potential for a great variety of roles. Each of the roles does the following:

Villager
Income: 1 Gold Piece
Home: Shack
Additional Buildings: None
Goods: None
Action: None

Orcs:
Home: Cottage
Night Action: All the Orcs as a group must decide on a victim to kill. This victim will be revealed during the day phase. If the Orcs cannot agree, a victim will be randomly selected.
Win Condition: The Orcs win when they are the only faction remaining in the town.

Woodcutter

Jeweler
Income: 2 Gold Pieces

Saddler
Income: 0 Gold Pieces
Goods: Yes, a Saddle. Saddles sell for 1 Gold Piece and the buyer receives 2 Gold Pieces. Count: 5

Soldier
Additional Buildings: Yes, Barracks
Goods: Yes, a Dagger. Daggers sell for 3 Gold Pieces and the buyer receives a Dagger. The buyer wakes up each night and may select a victim to visit and kill. If they do so, their Dagger is removed from their hand. If they don’t, they will continue to wake up until they use their Dagger. Count: 3

Shaman
Goods: Yes, Bag of Herbs. Bags of Herbs cost 2 Gold Pieces and the buyer receives a Bag of Herbs. The buyer wakes up each night and may select a player to visit and heal. The buyer may not select themselves. If the selected player was going to die by a kill that night, the selected player will be saved. If the selected player wasn’t going to die by a kill that night, the selected player will not be saved, but the Bag of Herbs will still be removed from their hand. If they don’t use the Bag of Herbs, they will continue to wake up until they use their Bag of Herbs. Count: 5

Tactician
Home: Villa
Goods: Yes, Rapier. A Rapier costs 0 Gold Pieces and the buyer receives a Rapier. The buyer wakes up each night and may select a player to visit and protect. The buyer may not select themselves. If the selected player was going to die by a kill that night, the owner of the Rapier who is protecting them will die in their place. If the selected player wasn’t going to die by a kill that night, the selected player will not be saved, but the Rapier will still be removed from their hand. If they don’t use the Rapier, they will continue waking up until they use their Rapier. Count: 6

Warden
Home: House
Goods: Yes, Agent. An Agent costs 2 Gold Pieces and the buyer receives an Agent. The buyer wakes up each night and may select a player to visit and investigate. The owner of the Agent will then be informed if the player is commoner aligned (the moderator should indicate this with a thumbs up or something similar) or villainous aligned (the moderator should indicate this with a thumbs down or something similar). If the buyer of the Agent receives no result (if no one is home or something similar), the moderator should indicate that as well (with a sideways thumb or something similar). If the Agent is used, it shall be removed from the buyer’s hand. If the Agent is not used, the buyer will continue waking up until they use their Agent. Count: 5

Neighbor
Goods: Yes, Spyglass. A Spyglass costs 3 Gold Pieces and the buyer receives a Spyglass. The buyer wakes up each night and may select a player to visit and investigate. The moderator shall show the Spyglass owner the role card of the player he or she chooses to investigate. If the Spyglass is used, it shall be removed from the buyer’s hand. If the Spyglass is not used, the buyer will continue waking up until they use their Spyglass. Count: 4

Poacher
Action: If targeted during the night, the Poacher will passively kill whoever targeted them. The action that happened to them will still take effect, so if an Orc kills the Poacher, both the Poacher and Orc will die. During the first night, you should announce that any Poachers in the game should (with their eyes closed) stick their thumb out. This way you will know who they are in the event that they are targeted.

Magician
House: Shack
Additional Buildings: Yes, Cemetery
Action: If a Magician is killed in any way, the following night after the Magician’s role has been revealed, the Magician wakes up. The Magician must then choose someone to kill, who will killed along with any others kills that occurred during the night. The Magician is then ‘dead for real,’ meaning that the Magician no longer participates in the game in any  way.

Pauper

Buildings

The following buildings may be included in the setup:
The Shop
Shacks
Cottages
Villas
Barracks
Cemetery

What do these buildings do?

The Shop: There is room for five goods in the shop. These goods can be bought by any player with enough Gold Pieces. If the shop is full, new goods cannot be sold. If the shop had one space left and two players attempt to sell goods, the order that was submitted first will be added into the shop.
Shacks- A Shack owner receives zero Gold Pieces per morning from their Shack (they can still receive Gold Pieces through other means).
Cottages- A Cottage owner receives one Gold Piece per morning from their Cottage.
Villa- A Villa owner receives two Gold Pieces from their Villa per morning.
Barracks- If the Barracks are destroyed, any roles which added the Barracks to the setup will no longer be able to create goods, do their Action or collect income. They will collect Gold Pieces from their home.
Cemetery- If the Cemetery are destroyed, any roles which added the Barracks to the setup will no longer be able to create goods, do their Action or collect income. They will still collect Gold Pieces from their home.

Plots

The following plots will be included in the setup:
Ports
Farms
Quarries

What do these plots do?
Ports cost four Gold Pieces and give their owner 2 Gold Pieces per morning.
Farms cost 3 Gold Pieces and give their owner 1 Gold Piece per morning.
Quarries cost 5 Gold Pieces and give their owner 3 Gold Pieces per morning.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 05:12:57 pm by Roadrunner7671 »

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 11:15:04 pm »

The Board

Currently, there is nothing on the board, as the game hasn’t started yet. However, the board will contain homes, workplaces, and land.

The Shop:
Stall One: {Empty}
Stall Two: {Empty}
Stall Three: {Empty}
Stall Four: {Empty}
Stall Five: {Empty}

Homes:

Workplaces:

Land:

Real Estate For Sale:
Stall One: {Ports} Cost: Four Gold Pieces
Stall Two: {Farms} Cost: Three Gold Pieces
Stall Three: {Quarries}: Five Gold Pieces

« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 05:11:03 pm by Roadrunner7671 »

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 11:15:12 pm »

Apparently I only needed to reserve three posts. Oh, well. I'll keep this around.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 11:26:41 pm by Roadrunner7671 »

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 11:39:04 pm »

/tag
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2016, 11:57:34 pm »

/in

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2016, 12:59:39 am »

I've made a rule change, but I'll have to phone post it.

The goal is for this game to be played IRL, so I want to simulate the way this will play out IRL.

In the IRL version, voting is supposed to be simultaneous.

The rule change is as follows:
During Twilight, the thread will be locked. Your vote must be posted in your quicktopic using the format Vote: Playername or Vote: No Lynch.

The votes will be tallied and unveiled at the end of Twilight, and the player with the most votes will be lynched (or if no lynch has the most votes, no one will be lynched).

SirMartin

• Pearl Diver
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2016, 01:26:17 am »

/tag

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2016, 06:56:20 am »

/in
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2016, 06:45:01 pm »

Elixir of Death- When drunk, this causes you to buy during the following night.

Capitalism is death!
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2016, 06:45:12 pm »

All right, I changed the voting rules officially.

How does one lock a topic?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2016, 08:24:33 pm by Roadrunner7671 »

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2016, 06:46:17 pm »

Elixir of Death- When drunk, this causes you to buy during the following night.

Capitalism is death!
My plan has been forever foiled!

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2016, 09:11:01 pm »

Buttons at the bottom of the page

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2016, 01:06:48 am »

/in

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2016, 07:46:49 am »

Buttons at the bottom of the page
Thanks!

/in

Yay! Slowly but surely, this game is filling up!

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2016, 01:23:10 pm »

I'm not a fan of Mafia, but I'll help playtest this. In fact, perhaps my indifference toward Mafia makes me a good candidate for playtesting.

I'll be out this weekend, but I'm not sure you'll be ready to start by then anyway.
A man has no signature

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2016, 02:27:34 pm »

A couple of things I noticed about the setup:

Alchemist has a command "Drink" that isn't bolded.  Should probably be bolded for consistency.

I think it will be rather difficult for Orcs to think about fakeclaims, so it will play similarly to Soap Opera mafia, where if 1 orc fakeclaims villager, and you happen to lynch him, you get 4 ICs.  You might consider making villager a more likely role and just roll for all of the PRs.  Like make it a 30% chance you roll villager, or say that it is 4 sides of a 12 sided die and roll the die 9 times instead of only rolling it 5.  I hope that makes sense

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2016, 03:30:01 pm »

I'm not a fan of Mafia, but I'll help playtest this. In fact, perhaps my indifference toward Mafia makes me a good candidate for playtesting.

I'll be out this weekend, but I'm not sure you'll be ready to start by then anyway.
I'm happy you joined as a person who isn't fond of Mafia (Jack Rudd might be in that group as well, but I'd have to check the historical records).

But, yay! More people!

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2016, 03:31:07 pm »

Alchemist has a command "Drink" that isn't bolded.  Should probably be bolded for consistency.

I think it will be rather difficult for Orcs to think about fakeclaims, so it will play similarly to Soap Opera mafia, where if 1 orc fakeclaims villager, and you happen to lynch him, you get 4 ICs.  You might consider making villager a more likely role and just roll for all of the PRs.  Like make it a 30% chance you roll villager, or say that it is 4 sides of a 12 sided die and roll the die 9 times instead of only rolling it 5.  I hope that makes sense
This is a good idea, and I'm going to change the setup based on this. It won't be what you had in mind, but it'll definitely make fakeclaims safer.

The remaining roles will be determined by the roll of a 12-sided die. This die will be rolled either 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 or 9 times. The number of times this die is rolled will be determined by the rolling of a six-sided die. If the die is to be rolled nine times, one Villager will be omitted from the setup to make room for the ninth roll. If the die is only rolled four times (for example), the remaining rolls will be Villagers. The roles are as follows:

Hopefully this makes sense to everyone!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 03:34:38 pm by Roadrunner7671 »

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2016, 06:26:36 pm »

This is a good idea, and I'm going to change the setup based on this. It won't be what you had in mind, but it'll definitely make fakeclaims safer.

The remaining roles will be determined by the roll of a 12-sided die. This die will be rolled either 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 or 9 times. The number of times this die is rolled will be determined by the rolling of a six-sided die. If the die is to be rolled nine times, one Villager will be omitted from the setup to make room for the ninth roll. If the die is only rolled four times (for example), the remaining rolls will be Villagers. The roles are as follows:

Hopefully this makes sense to everyone!

It is very likey that this will lead to much swinginess and little game balance. Obviously the Orcs have it much easier if there are only 4 PRs compared to there being 9 ones.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2016, 06:31:51 pm »

Also, am I correct in thinking that if there is no Alchemist or Mountebank in the setup, Gold and Status points do virtually nothing and this is just a Vanilla Mafia game with a couple of named townies?

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2016, 06:37:22 pm »

I don't understand how there are 4 Villagers, 3 Orcs, and 8 other slots, and yet there are 12 slots in the game. It seems to me that this would add up to 15. What am I missing?

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2016, 07:20:22 pm »

I don't understand how there are 4 Villagers, 3 Orcs, and 8 other slots, and yet there are 12 slots in the game. It seems to me that this would add up to 15. What am I missing?
That would be some sort of error on my part, but this is a game for 12 players.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2016, 07:22:29 pm »

Also, am I correct in thinking that if there is no Alchemist or Mountebank in the setup, Gold and Status points do virtually nothing and this is just a Vanilla Mafia game with a couple of named townies?
Status Points will be relevent for buying land, but land will only give you more Status Points and Gold Pieces. Hmmm....

I have other roles that involve Gold Pieces and Status Points, but I wanted to try and keep this setup simpler. A review is probably in order.

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2016, 08:13:41 pm »

Without a use for gold/status points, there's no point in them.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 1.938 seconds with 19 queries.