Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A New Traveler Line--Clergy  (Read 4225 times)

GeneralRamos

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +104
    • View Profile
A New Traveler Line--Clergy
« on: December 06, 2015, 01:50:58 pm »

Brainstorming a new traveler line. I thought a church hierarchy sounded like a fun naming theme. Haven't done the mock-ups yet.

Deacon
Action-Traveller—$2
+1 Action, +$1
---------------------
When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for a Village Priest.

Village Priest
Action-Duration-Traveller—$3
Now and at the start of your next turn, +1 Action.
Draw 7 cards (instead of 5) in this turn’s Clean-up phase.
---------------------
When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for an Archbishop
(This card is not in the Supply.)

Archbishop
Action-Traveller—$
+$2
Trash up to two cards from your hand. If you do, +VP equal to hand their combined costs in coins, rounded down.
---------------------
When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for a Cardinal.
(This card is not in the Supply.)

Cardinal
Action-Traveller-Attack—$5                     Each other player trashes a card from their hand costing $3 or more, or reveals a hand without any. Gain one of the trashed cards, putting it into your hand.
---------------------
When you discard this from play, you may exchange it for a Pope.

Pope
Action-Attack—$6                     Each other player with 4 or more cards in hand draws a card then reveals their hand and discards two cards that you choose.
---------------------
When you would discard this card from play, return it to the Pope pile and gain +5 VP tokens.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 02:34:43 pm by GeneralRamos »

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
Re: A New Traveler Line--Clergy
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 01:55:34 pm »

Each other player passes trashers? That's on Cardinal, I'm not sure what it means.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

GeneralRamos

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 02:35:26 pm »

Sorry, typo, fixed. Originally read passes, but I immediately realized the scaling implications of that, and opted for trash-and-you-choose-one.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2015, 02:36:25 pm »

Sorry, typo, fixed. Originally read passes, but I immediately realized the scaling implications of that, and opted for trash-and-you-choose-one.
Now they look pretty good. I like how you don't get to keep Pope.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2015, 09:40:44 pm »
+2

Cardinal can potentially pin people. This should fix it:
Cardinal
Action-Traveller-Attack—$5                     Each other player with 4 or more cards in their hand, trashes a card from their hand costing $3 or more, or reveals a hand without any. Gain a card from the trash costing 3 to 6
---------------------
This way you can't pin people but it still retains usefulness in numbers. It works well with archbishop
Arch Bishop is perhaps the strongest card in this line

gkrieg13

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
  • Respect: +463
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2015, 10:36:46 pm »
+1

Cardinal can potentially pin people. This should fix it:
Cardinal
Action-Traveller-Attack—$5                     Each other player with 4 or more cards in their hand, trashes a card from their hand costing $3 or more, or reveals a hand without any. Gain a card from the trash costing 3 to 6
---------------------
This way you can't pin people but it still retains usefulness in numbers. It works well with archbishop
Arch Bishop is perhaps the strongest card in this line

This is a good change.  Without this, I think I would just get a bunch of Cardinals and then they are worse than the warrior pin.  Especially in the end game when you have a few provinces in your hand.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2015, 10:44:09 pm »
+2

Pretty big jump (flavor-wise) from Village Priest to Archbishop.  ;D

GeneralRamos

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2015, 10:55:42 pm »

Pretty big jump (flavor-wise) from Village Priest to Archbishop.
Yeah, he must be a real mover and shaker. But obviously, the existence of Bishop necessitates it. I welcome other name solutions ;)
On the comment that Archbishop seems most powerful: good to note, and I've switched it with Cardinal.

And yeah, I realize I forgot to put the "not in the supply" line on Pope. I'll fix that.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1471
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2015, 11:38:08 pm »

Some thoughts:

Village Priest is already pretty strong, a mini-tactician without the drawback? I think this needs atleast a once per turn clause or atleast be terminal on-play.

I think Archbishop is still too strong, it should take more work to get two Archbishops in play. Also, I think the 3-6cost clause makes sense here since having to trash a Province and gaining it is already super strong. The card is already broken enough with getting cards into your hand, no reason to make it even more broken with Province shenanigans.

Cardinal is downright ridiculous in my opinion. Trashing two golds nets 12VP? Like there is no reason to EVER buy points on this board if there is any support for this.

The Pope-Pin is also quite strong and there is a good chance to just resign the game after getting attacked by this more than once.

In other words: I think most of these cards will need a nerf. I don't I would ever not open Deacon-Deacon except for a strong trasher or for a good +buy card to pick up two Deacons per turn in the next shuffle.
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

gkrieg13

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
  • Respect: +463
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 11:56:53 pm »

Some thoughts:

Village Priest is already pretty strong, a mini-tactician without the drawback? I think this needs atleast a once per turn clause or atleast be terminal on-play.
It only gives you 7 cards instead of giving you +2 cards.  It is also still susceptible to discard attacks.  It seems like it would be fine to me. 

I think Archbishop is still too strong, it should take more work to get two Archbishops in play. Also, I think the 3-6cost clause makes sense here since having to trash a Province and gaining it is already super strong. The card is already broken enough with getting cards into your hand, no reason to make it even more broken with Province shenanigans.

I definitely agree with you there.

Cardinal is downright ridiculous in my opinion. Trashing two golds nets 12VP? Like there is no reason to EVER buy points on this board if there is any support for this.

I think it is supposed to be half of the cost instead of hand of the cost  :P .  This makes it just a double bishop without the extra vp and coin.

The Pope-Pin is also quite strong and there is a good chance to just resign the game after getting attacked by this more than once.

I don't really see the pope-pin.  You can only play pope once, and it is pretty hard to pin an opponent.  It is like a better pillage.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1471
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2015, 06:02:05 am »

I agree that Village Smithy is worse on boards with Discard attacks, which makes it still very strong on 70% of the boards where there isn't any.

Pope-pin requires to cyclye one traveller exchange each per turn, which is not unreasonable, it only needs a village to support it. Then Archbishop trashes a good card from your hand, you'll draw one more and have to discard two cards of their opponents choice. That's almost certainly a dead turn and the Pope doesn't even self-junk.

There is one game where Wandering Winder plays two Pillages (with Council Room), you should check that out, it's somewhere on the forums. It's pretty close to a pin.
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2015, 09:27:39 am »

Pope returns itself to the pile so the "pin" you talk about is as likely to occur as a Pillage pin.
I agree though that the cards are too strong.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2015, 09:38:53 am »

Scheme can enable the pope pin.

singletee

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: singletee
  • Gold, Silver, Copper, Let's Jam!
  • Respect: +1609
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2015, 10:36:34 am »

Scheme can enable the pope pin.

No, Pope never gets discarded from play.

However, Procession+Pope+Graverobber could be a legit pin.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2015, 10:40:56 am »

However, Procession+Pope+Graverobber could be a legit pin.

It's not as legit as KC/Goons/Masquerade and that never happens in practice so it's not a problem.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GeneralRamos

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2015, 07:05:48 pm »

Some thoughts:
It only gives you 7 cards instead of giving you +2 cards.  It is also still susceptible to discard attacks.  It seems like it would be fine to me. 
I agree that Village Smithy is worse on boards with Discard attacks, which makes it still very strong on 70% of the boards where there isn't any.
Stacking Village Priests isn't over-powerful, even without discard attacks on the board. It only draws you 7 cards in Clean-up, regardless of how many Village Priests you play. The only thing that stacks is the number of +Actions you'll gain in the next turn.

I've weakened Archbishop: it now only hits cards costing $3-$6, and only on players with 5 or more cards in hand.

Thanks for noting the typo on Cardinal. Yes, it's "half." Essentially a double-Bishop without the base +VP. Makes it easier to milk the points out of odd-value cards than Bishop. It gives you no +VP when trashing coppers or curses, but hey, it lets you get rid of up to two of them.

Pope: A point of clarification, because of another misprint on the card. The last thing should read +5VP. I'm not too worried about the pin, since it's a one-shot and is at the end of the chain. Correct that it can't be Schemed.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2016, 05:30:02 pm »

Do you have an updated pope? I am downloading this traveller line to test in the near future.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.