Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 269  All

Author Topic: The Necro Wars  (Read 337213 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
Re: The Necro Wars
« Reply #5550 on: May 14, 2023, 04:33:36 am »

It just occurred to me how silly it is for people in Magical Britain to only listen to music from witches or wizards. There are way more muggle bands out there, and it really doesn't matter for music.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #5551 on: May 14, 2023, 03:41:58 pm »

Do you know where you'll be staying?

yes, my best friend is living there.
Alright, I was also thinking where in Berlin you'll be located.

It seems that now you'll be here over the weekend, which is nice as it means I have more availability. I could host a game night at our place, and/or we could go visit my favorite board game café. I have some ideas for nice walks as well.

@silver: I can offer a place to sleep if that helps you.

that sounds amazing!
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5552 on: May 15, 2023, 04:30:16 am »

I can compute that the i-th root of -1 is e^pi, but the result still makes no sense to me. e^pi is about 23. Why does the i-th root -1 equal 23?? :o

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5553 on: May 15, 2023, 04:32:36 am »

Don't you know, son, that if you just multiply 23 with itself the right number of times, you eventually get -1?

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #5554 on: May 15, 2023, 04:59:31 am »

Don't you know, son, that if you just multiply 23 with itself the right number of times, you eventually get -1?
You just have to use your imagination!
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5555 on: May 16, 2023, 09:51:31 am »

Tenet (2020)

I used to think Nolan movies were the raddest shit on the planet. Now I don't think this anymore. 6/10.

I've seen people complain that the music is too loud. That specific thing in particular was probably my favorite aspect of the entire movie. Man did it occur to you that it was a creative choice? No? Okay. Well, there are indeed parts where it essentially drowns out the dialogue, but the dialogue doesn't matter anyway. I felt like I got what it was going for, and I liked it. Take the atmosphere where you can get it!

The problem is really that the movie behaves as if it's very clever... but it's not. It's mostly an action movie with a gimmick. The twists were all really stupid and none of the characters was memorable. This movie is not Inception.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5556 on: May 16, 2023, 09:54:00 am »

It's not even that the concept is bad (it's OBJECTS THAT MOVE BACKWARD IM TIME1111!11); it probably has potential to be something really interesting. The movie just doesn't do much with it.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5557 on: May 16, 2023, 11:37:55 am »

I've seen people complain that the music is too loud. That specific thing in particular was probably my favorite aspect of the entire movie. Man did it occur to you that it was a creative choice? No? Okay.

Fun fact about audio mixing for movies: when it comes to 5.1 mixes, the engineers basically do whatever and just hope that people's systems won't butcher the mix too much, knowing full well that that's exactly what's going to happen anyway. Even on actual 5.1 systems, they can sound wildly different depending on a lot of factors that you can't predict in the studio, and it's basically impossible to have any idea what a 5.1 mix will sound like on an end user's 2.0 system with whatever channel mapping and volume compensation that particular setup happens to do, and so whatever it ends up sounding like is almost certainly not a creative choice, but simply a result of glorified random chance.

2.0 mixes can translate way better across different setups, but even then, it's not that uncommon for directors to ask mixing engineers to do things that sound good in the studio's perfect listening environment and may or may not sound that good anywhere else (nor is it uncommon for the engineers to comply).

Regardless of which type of mix you have (but especially if it's 5.1), if the dialogue is actually getting drowned out by the music, it's pretty safe to assume that when the director made the choice to ask it to sound like that, the dialogue was crystal clear for them on the setup they heard it on, and probably was also at least audible in most movie theaters where the movie was shown.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5558 on: May 16, 2023, 01:28:09 pm »

I don't buy it. I just rewatched the scene where it's most extreme, and (a) the dialogue is at times so quiet that I can't imagine it's a difference between systems, and (b) it really doesn't matter.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5560 on: May 16, 2023, 01:42:34 pm »

Ok so it seems like it's actually more of an issue than I realized and people have trouble at various other parts as well, and there it seems to be not intentional, but rather because he optimizes for the best theaters. But in the scene I had in mind (it's shown right at the start of the video), it was clearly intentional. The video quotes this bit from Nolan:

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5561 on: May 16, 2023, 04:17:22 pm »

Alright so there's this 45€ ticket thingy with which you can use all regular transit for a month. I'll buy that one, then I can decide spontaneously when I go to Berlin and when I go back. Maybe go there at 02.06 so that I'm there for the weekend?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5562 on: May 16, 2023, 07:48:32 pm »

Wow, the video said the same thing I did. It's almost like I might know some things about mixing!

That being said, I didn't realize the dialogue was audible but getting clearly faded out during specific parts, which is definitely a lot more likely to be intentional (although there are cases with 5.1 mixes on stereo systems where even something like that could happen unintentionally if most of the dialogue is in the center channel but some of it is elsewhere and the system either boosts or attenuates the center channel relative to the others). I assumed it was just a case where the dialogue got proportionately harder to hear whenever the music and/or sound effects got more intense.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5563 on: May 16, 2023, 07:57:48 pm »

As a side note, I watched the first 30ish minutes of Koe no Katachi, a movie about an almost deaf person, taking it for granted that it's intentional that all the dialogue except the main character's internal monologue is extremely faint. Turns out it was a 5.1 mix, my media player wasn't mapping the center channel anywhere (i.e. it was completely inaudible), the main character's internal monologue was audible because it had a very strong stereo chorus effect in the front-left and front-right channels, and the barely audible faint dialogue was just the subtle reverb in the side channels.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5564 on: May 17, 2023, 04:09:31 am »

And here's the aid -- this is what Krum should have looked like!

>:(

also hilariously, apparently this is the actor today:

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5565 on: May 17, 2023, 04:15:21 am »

Thinking about it, I'm wondering if there's a single role in the harry potter movies that really nailed it. Is there any character, even just one, who seems like they are a fantastic fit for their character?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5566 on: May 17, 2023, 04:21:03 am »

Thinking about it, I'm wondering if there's a single role in the harry potter movies that really nailed it. Is there any character, even just one, who seems like they are a fantastic fit for their character?

McGonagall.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #5567 on: May 17, 2023, 04:51:13 am »

McGonagall.
The only issue being that Maggie Smith is not Scottish, I guess.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5568 on: May 17, 2023, 05:00:37 am »

McGonagall.

Good one!

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5569 on: May 18, 2023, 01:59:18 pm »

Beyond the Hills (2012)

Two women who grew up in an orphanage and used to be lovers meet again after being separated for several years. One of them is now a nun living in a monastery. The other isn't quite buying it.

You can probably guess where this story is going. And you'd be wrong. As far as I know, this story is entirely fiction, but it feels more like something that actually happened than like a movie plot

Don't know about the rating. It's the director of 4 months... and graduation, which is why I got it, but I don't think I like it as much as either. Might appreciate it more with some time, though

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5570 on: May 18, 2023, 02:29:30 pm »

Ah, seems like it was actually based on a real incident. Yeah, that makes sense.

Ok so this video of the director discussing the movie is pretty amazing and makes me appreciate it more. I'll give it an 8.

Also notable that it has no music, and it doesn't feel like it's missing.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5571 on: May 24, 2023, 03:02:51 am »

How I failed to solve Math Olympiad Problem 3. And you thought I'd only post if I succeeded! Well you didn't think anything, but if you had thought about it maybe

Anyway, the exercise is thusly

One first shows that any prime number can only have two smaller neighbors in any circle. So let p be a prime number and A,B be its two neighbors in the first circle. There are x,y such that

(1) x + x^2 + k = pA
(2) y + y^2 + k = pB

Wlog x > y. Subtracting (2) from (1) yields

p(A-B) = x + x^2 + k - y - y^2 - k = (x^2-y^2) + (x-y)  = (x-y)(x+y) + (x-y) = (x-y)(x+y+1)

Since p is a prime number, it follows that p | x-y or p | x+y+1. (The | means "divides"). Suppose p|x-y. Then p <= x-y so p <= x or p <= y. Wlog p <= x. Then we find a contradiction via

pA = x + x^2 + k  > x^2 >= p^2 > pA

So we must have p | x + y + 1, which means Np = x + y + 1 for some natural number N. Suppose N >= 2. Then x+y+1 >= 2p which again means x >= p or y>=p, so we get the same contradiction as above. Therefore, p = x+y+1.

Now let C be an arbitrary other prime that's a smaller neighbor of p in some circle. Using the circle property, we find a number z such that

(3) z + z^2 + k = pC

subtracting (3) from (1) and doing the same steps as before yields

(x-z)(x+z+1) = p(A-C)

If p(A-C) = 0, then C=A. Otherwise, the same argument as above shows that p = x+z+1. But then x+y+1=x+z+1 and hence y=z. Then pB = y+y^2+k = z+z^2+k = pC and hence C=B. So either C=A or C=B.

I figured this all out, too! So in particular, the largest prime number of the set has fixed neighbors (since it can only have smaller neighbors). Sounds very promising. Moreover, by comparing edges, you really restrict what prime numbers come next. Like if the circle starts A -- p -- B with x the integer sitting on the edge between A and p, then the next integer is either x - NA or (N+1)A-x-1, where N is the largest integer such that x-NA is still above 0. Also, the function f(x) = x^2 + x + k actually comes out the same for x-(N+1)A and (N+1)A-x-1; I really thought that would be significant. Anyway, there are only two choices how to continue the circle, and we can compute them exactly! Feels like that's really close!

And I could not conclude the proof from there. I could not. For the life of me. Figure out. How. To. Get. This. Stupid. Fucking. Lemma. Proven. From. Here. I. Couldn't. Do it.

Moreover, I found this:

This abomination that you currently see on your screen photographed with a Q3 Leica Monocrhome Hyperflux Edition is an example of 4 prime numbers and two paths between them (k=31). Essentially, you can go (A,B,C,D) and also (A,C,B,D).

"Why is this significant?" you ask, clueless about the problem. Thanks for asking! It's significant because if we find any path between A and D, here 3 and 53 -- ANY PATH, whether it includes 0 or 2 or 47 or 2873766663299276 extra prime numbers -- then we will have found two circles with this property. So you now need to show that there is no way to do this. Or in other words, you cannot solve this problem by looking at a local segment of this graph. I found this monstrosity in trying to prove that it could not exist. This is probably a metaphor for something. Also what the fuck how is this provable now?  >:(

Anyway, here's how you actually prove the lemma. Remember the formula (x-y)(x+y+1) = p(A-B)? No? Ok. Well it was there. Also x^2 + x + k = pA. Anyway, no I'm not typing this all why would you ask that. Here's the photographed version:

The point is that epsilon chosen as here connects A and B, which are the two neighbors of p. So not only are the two neighbors of the largest prime fixed, but they connect as well. And that proves the lemma because you can now proceed by induction -- not over nodes in the given set of circles, which is what I tried, but over all possible sets by size -- if the lemma is true for sets of primes of size 4, well take a set of 5 primes, delete the largest node, connect its two neighbors, and you get a set of size 4 with otherwise identical connections. Base case is n=3 where there is only one possible circle. QED. My arm hurts.

I came close to this, too; I tried something with epsilon before, but I defined it as A-B rather than x-A, and then nothing works, and then I never went there again bc it didn't seem useful.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5572 on: May 24, 2023, 03:13:41 am »

The moral of the story is that you are a conscious optical computer hooked up to an unconscious language model generating b**shit and suggesting it as thoughts to you, and my language model is insufficiently creative to solve hard math problems. This has been my issue since forever; I can understand any math thing, but *finding* proofs requires higher creativity / better suggestions from the unconscious part of your brain

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5573 on: May 25, 2023, 09:16:34 am »

Joker (2019)

I was initially kinda into it. It's one of those films where the rating requires more thought to figure out what I think about the story. Unfortunately, my conclusion is that it basically doesn't make any sense, or at least less sense the more you think about it. I fail to see what thing the movie ultimately says or what complicated thing it touches on. And it also super doesn't work as a prequel to the The Dark Knight joker, which is obviously the reason why this movie exists. So I'll give it a 4/10.

Under the Skin (2013)

This is an incredibly bizarre horror movie, one of the weirdest things I've seen. Another movie that requires thinking about to arrive at a rating, but this time I like it more rather than less. The viewing experience was only like a 5, but I'm giving it a 7. Mostly based on the ending. The ending is just so good. You watch it and it's like, how on earth am I supposed to feel about what just happened? Just the question of how you emotionally react to this is so interesting. not gonna say anything else about it because you can super spoil this one.

A lot of the stuff that you see on screen is clearly metaphorical rather than literal, so it's up to you what happens. Only up to a point, though. The ending is conveyed literally.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5574 on: May 25, 2023, 09:18:59 am »

Also I'm watching The Last Of Us series, and it's so good!  By far the best written zombie show I've seen, nothing comes close, at least three episodes on. Thanks YMS.
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 [223] 224 225 ... 269  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 20 queries.