Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 273  All

Author Topic: The Necro Wars  (Read 346209 times)

Jonatan Djurachkovitch

• Moneylender
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jonis20004
    • View Profile
Re: The Necro Wars
« Reply #5350 on: April 08, 2023, 04:24:47 pm »

does the universe expect me to actually read stuff? i can't do that! reading is so hard

400 pages in, Kaufmans novel has reached a level of such utter ridiculousness that its very difficult to stop reading

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #5351 on: April 08, 2023, 04:53:14 pm »

does the universe expect me to actually read stuff? i can't do that! reading is so hard

400 pages in, Kaufmans novel has reached a level of such utter ridiculousness that its very difficult to stop reading

Kaufman is indeed receiving special treatment

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5352 on: April 09, 2023, 07:11:57 am »

This will probably come as no surprise, but Kaufman's novel is by far the most insane thing I've ever read. After the first 100 or so pages establish the main premise, it just goes off the rails. He will come up with plot points that are incredibly bizarre and derisive toward the main character, and then instead of resolving them, there will be a sudden time jump and they are never picked up again because the main character stopped caring. Some things you expect to  be important are just one off mentions, others that I was sure would be one off gags are made into plot points. It's incredibly entertaining at parts and not so much at others but the overall result is hard to put down. I swear this book is weirder than House of Leaves.

There is one scene where he goes on an extended rant about how much he hates Kaufman and his movies, falls into a sewer hole while thinking this, is almost swept away, climbs out, falls into a second one, goes home to rant about how the uinverse is treating him unfairly, speculates that maybe even though he's always tried to be good, some kind of god is punishing him for his thoughts, starts to meditate to free himself of thoughts, then a puppet in the room starts talking to him, then the chapter ends and so far it's never brought up again

There is one scene where he stalks this Asian woman he's hardcore fetishizing, then tries to get a job in some kind of retail thing out of hope that he might come into contact with her at some point, then inadvertently charms the interviewer during the job interview, who insists on recommending him for a higher-up position, and then ends up with a high-paying job as a result. A time jump later the same woman just hangs around as a side character and he's lost all interest, in fact he actively looks down on her later

There is one scene where he's visited in his dreams by a woman who needs him to use some kind of future tech through which he lives through the moments of Donald J Trunk in a different timeline, so he starts and Trunk walks by a bunch of president dolls and then demands they make one of him for himself, they do and he starts basically falling in love with his own doll, then he wants to make the doll copresident and his staff tells him that he can't do that, so he tweets about how Ace, which is how he named the doll, is now his best friend, and starts getting extremely angry about not being able to tell everyone about who Ace is, then the main character pulls off the tech thing because he doesn't want to live through that fantasy, the woman disappears and I suspect will never be brought up again, but back after waking up he looks at his phone to see that presumably the woman instead visited someone further in the past and now the novel about Trunk is already written. It's called An Avenue of Infinite Regress and is ranked 2,898,311 on amazon. Also I swear the Trump/Trunk impressions are some of the funniest shit I've ever read

And it's 1000 pages, I'm just a little over halfway done

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5353 on: April 09, 2023, 07:14:27 am »

This novel is actually even more bizarre than I expected and more bizarre than his movies

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #5354 on: April 09, 2023, 11:22:47 am »

This novel is actually even more bizarre than I expected and more bizarre than his movies
Not too surprising that it would be more bizarre than the movies. With movies, there are just more people involved who have an interest in some sort of mass appeal.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5355 on: April 09, 2023, 11:52:20 am »

Not too surprising that it would be more bizarre than the movies. With movies, there are just more people involved who have an interest in some sort of mass appeal.

yeah, very true

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5356 on: April 10, 2023, 05:51:36 pm »

Atonement, 2007

I originally dropped this after about 25 minutes because I was very bored. It's very well coordinated, has great music, good acting, everything seems very professional -- but nothing happens. It all just seemed so pointless.

Turns out that was very bad timing because I now picked it up again and about 5 minutes later the plot begins and 5 more minutes the movie turns into something completely different. I didn't know anything about the plot so I had no clue it was going to be a war movie, sorta, except you never actually see any war

This is such a strange movie. I don't understand the point of the opening. I guess because it's autobiographical this is just what happened, but structurally it seems like it achieves nothing. The movie keeps doing this thing where it uses typewriter sounds as part of the soundtrack which is very cool and well done, but it recurs so often that it feels like something that should have symbolic meaning for the story, and the movie clearly thinks it does, but it doesn't. The movie starts with the main character, who turns out actually isn't the main character at all, finishing a screenplay, but this is completely inconsequential. You only really get the significance by the end and like that's too late. This movie feels so tonally incoherent.

I guess it gets credit for avoiding common tropes. It certainly does that.

Maybe above everything else, I never watched a 2 hour movie and then felt like so little stuff happened. Is that good or bad? Idk.

Also there was one very long take at the beach where Dunkirk was evacuated, and it looked very real. So many characters. It must have taken an incredible amount of coordination to pull that off. Man that scene itself probably swallowed half of the movie's budget. Idk if it was worth but it yeah hella impressive

I guess 6/10  I really have no idea

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5357 on: April 10, 2023, 05:53:59 pm »

If I understand the Wikipedia article right, the take was meant to be even longer but they didn't have enough budget and only 2 full days to film it

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5358 on: April 12, 2023, 03:35:35 am »

Let Me In

This is a vampire movie. The only good vampire movie I'm aware of. Stephen King apparently called it "Not just a horror film, but the best American horror film in the last 20 years". Cautious 8/10. I want to talk about it but no way to do it without spoilers, and this is a movie you really can spoil, so spoilers!

So the way I'm reading this is that it takes the "human befriends cute vampire" trope and then gets the horror currency out of it by showing the resulting violence and cruelty without any filters.

This movie is about a 13yo boy who's bullied in school befriending this strange/shy/cute vampire girl. However, the movie is consistent with her not having a single shred of ethics and just using him for her amusement. There's one scene where she tells him he has to fight back when he's bullied, then he hits one of the bullies with a stick into the head enough to send him to the hospital, and she essentially celebrates this as an achievement. There's a scene where a police guy comes to the house of the girl to investigate, the boy stops him as he's about to draw back the curtains and let sunlight in, and she brutally murders him a moment later. Then near the end, he's in an indoor swimming pool for strength training, and the bullies come and dunk him underwater, and the vampire girl shows up and just slaughters all of them. And this is not even shown on screen, you only see the water around him filling with blood.

And at the very end while he's in a train driving away, with the vampire girl hiding in a trunk, he has a bunch of sweets and lightly sings "eat some now, save some for later". (This is similar to his first scene.)

This is actually a remake of a Swedish film called "Let the Right One In" (and in a very rare turn of events, apparently both are really good though I haven't seen the original). Let the Right One In is an amazing title, but honestly for this movie, it wouldn't work because it puts the agency onto the humans, and the humans don't matter.  This movie is about this who-knows-how-old vampire murdering people freely and toying with this boy for her amusement -- at least, again, this is how I'm reading it -- so "Let Me In" is perfect. There's a scene where the boy goes "What happens if I don't invite you in" and she steps inside uninvited and then starts having blood pour all over her face until he does invite her.

And it'd be remiss not to mention the soundtrack. If you listened to the soundtrack out of context, you'd probably expect something like, idk, the final battle in LotR, or the scene before the Great Sept blows up in GoT. That kind of vibe. Which is oddly out of place with this pretty childish story about bullying, but like it makes sense if you get what the movie is actually trying to do. If my interpretation is right.

But as good as this movie is, I'm also kinda lamenting the fact that all good horror movies are good in a backwards way. Like by parodying the genre, or inverting expectations, or whatever. This movie is only not-stupid if you read into it like I did, and while that reading is probably intended... I mean why can't we have a good horror movie that plays things straight? That's just genuinely trying to be terrifying? Unironically terrifying without humor or references or tropes? Isn't this what horror is supposed to be about? This movie was unsettling, but I wasn't really scared. I think there are still only two movies which really genuinely scared me a lot, and they are Paranormal Activity I and Annihilation. I keep hoping for more on that list and being disappointed

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5359 on: April 12, 2023, 03:38:30 am »

She also kills the biologically older vampire she was living with by pushing him out of a hospital window. It's not clear why but presumably because he's too clumsy and got himself caught

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5360 on: April 12, 2023, 03:41:37 am »

Putting horror aside, I also really want to have a genuinely good vampire movie that just plays it completely straight, and I don't have that.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5361 on: April 12, 2023, 05:09:53 am »

This is actually a remake of a Swedish film called "Let the Right One In" (and in a very rare turn of events, apparently both are really good though I haven't seen the original).

I have, and I wasn't terribly impressed with it. The premise is fine, but it just kind of takes the entire screen time explaining and reinforcing that premise and not going anywhere.

I haven't seen the remake, on the other hand, but based on your description, it sounds like the main differences are (IIRC at any rate):

- instead of being a girl, the vampire is androgynous and of an ambiguous gender, but it's implied they were AMAB
- the vampire basically needs a human caretaker to survive, so they aren't toying with the boy just for the lulz but grooming him to become their next caretaker, which is more understandable from their perspective
- the older guy they were living with was not a vampire but their previous human caretaker, who was indeed ridiculously incompetent and got himself caught so they needed a new caretaker to replace him
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5362 on: April 12, 2023, 06:49:35 am »

This is actually a remake of a Swedish film called "Let the Right One In" (and in a very rare turn of events, apparently both are really good though I haven't seen the original).

I have, and I wasn't terribly impressed with it. The premise is fine, but it just kind of takes the entire screen time explaining and reinforcing that premise and not going anywhere.

I haven't seen the remake, on the other hand, but based on your description, it sounds like the main differences are (IIRC at any rate):

- instead of being a girl, the vampire is androgynous and of an ambiguous gender, but it's implied they were AMAB
- the vampire basically needs a human caretaker to survive, so they aren't toying with the boy just for the lulz but grooming him to become their next caretaker, which is more understandable from their perspective
- the older guy they were living with was not a vampire but their previous human caretaker, who was indeed ridiculously incompetent and got himself caught so they needed a new caretaker to replace him

Oh, wow. It's possible that I completely misinterpreted the movie. In fact I probably did. At least I'm pretty sure I was wrong about the man who lived with her being a vampire since that's never actually shown, I just sort of assumed it.

And the girl says she's not a girl, but I took that to mean that she's not a human. (Also idqgi, what is the implication for the story if she's transgender?) But given the original, I mean they'll have put that there for a reason.

But yeah it may be that all the differences are just me not getting it. Certainly the remake does not spell things out for you. The caretaker thing I'm most skeptical about; it seemed like he was getting blood for her but it does not seem like she needed it. She was doing just fine killing people by herself. Certainly the movie doesn't spell it out for you

I'm probably gonna rewatch and see what I think then

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5363 on: April 12, 2023, 06:50:36 am »

RIP duplicate sentence

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5364 on: April 13, 2023, 10:18:28 am »

The Kid With a Bike

Did you by chance really want to watch a movie about a 12yo boy whose father doesn't want him? perhaps not, but if you did,  this movie is for you because it handles that premise very well.  Have to give it 8/10; hard to say anything negative about this film really. Probably the most believable child performance in a major role I can think of.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5365 on: April 13, 2023, 06:13:12 pm »

The Lord of the Ring: The Fellowship of the Ring (extended version)

This wasn't the first time I've seen the movie of course, but idk when I watched it the last time.

Anyway. This is actually a deeply flawed movie. The progression of the fight in the intro is nonsensical. The Isildur guy whose name I just misspelled dies because he lets the ring slip off his hand while jumping into the water. Every character has ridiculous plot armor. They keep getting in trouble only for extremely stupid decisions that would have been easily avoided. Lots of convenient coincidences, too (they just meet Aragon by chance cmon). Way too few deaths here, and the only death we do have is basically the safest one they could've gone for. The decision at the end to let Frodo go by himself is stupid. The decision to hunt the other hobbits is also stupid (why do you care about the other hobbits?). None of the characters are very interesting. The orcs and Sauron are all completely 1 dimensional.

In light of these flaws, I'm gonna give this movie... a 10/10. Not joking. Man, I knew this was good, but I didn't remember it being this powerful. The settings are all obscenely beautiful, especially the Shire. The world just feels so large and so real. And all the emotional points hit so hard. I teared up several times throughout the movie, and this is not easy thing to get done. I think faust once named LotR as an example of a show that's famous for non-character related reasons, and yeah that's so true. You really can view most fantasy stories as just trying to hit similar emotional beats, but falling short.

And all the flaws are kinda inconsequential given what the movie achieves. I also don't entirely understand why this works so much better than every other fantasy movie but it really does.

Curious if I'll 10/10 the next to as well. My guess is no, especially for the second one, but we'll see.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5366 on: April 13, 2023, 06:14:36 pm »

Still having problems with my right arm but it's getting better maybe I hope

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5367 on: April 14, 2023, 02:59:07 am »

Official ranking of all of the six extended movies: Return of the King > Two Towers > Unexpected Journey > Fellowship of the Ring >>> Battle of the Five Armies > Desolation of Smaug, with Desolation of Smaug still being really good.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5368 on: April 14, 2023, 03:01:37 am »

On a 0-10 scale, I'd give all the extended LOTR movies and the extended Unexpected Journey solid 10/10s and Battle of the Five Armies and Desolation of Smaug like weak 9/10s or strong 8/10s.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5369 on: April 14, 2023, 03:02:57 am »

Official ranking of all of the six extended movies: Return of the King > Two Towers > Unexpected Journey > Fellowship of the Ring >>> Battle of the Five Armies > Desolation of Smaug, with Desolation of Smaug still being really good.

I doubt that any of the Hobbit movies would be higher than a 6 on my scale

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5370 on: April 14, 2023, 03:04:18 am »

another thing about LotR: if Elrond had just been a utilitarian instead of a dumb virtue ethicist or deontologist, then he'd have taken Isildur's ring by force and we wouldn't have a movie

... wait does that mean utilitarianism is bad?

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5371 on: April 14, 2023, 03:13:38 am »

another thing about LotR: if Elrond had just been a utilitarian instead of a dumb virtue ethicist or deontologist, then he'd have taken Isildur's ring by force and we wouldn't have a movie

... wait does that mean utilitarianism is bad?
I mean, unsure. That would probably have sparked a war between Elves and men, with many more casualties. And it's unclear whether Elrond could have destroyed it then, instead of being corrupted himself.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5372 on: April 14, 2023, 03:14:19 am »

But where does Rings of Power rank?!

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5373 on: April 14, 2023, 03:19:52 am »

But where does Rings of Power rank?!

I haven't watched it and don't have plans to watch it.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #5374 on: April 14, 2023, 03:23:49 am »

I doubt that any of the Hobbit movies would be higher than a 6 on my scale

Have you seen the extended versions?

Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 273  All

Page created in 2.036 seconds with 20 queries.