Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 273  All

Author Topic: The Necro Wars  (Read 346841 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
Re: The Necro Wars
« Reply #4425 on: September 20, 2022, 05:13:10 pm »

What brought on the comment was that I tried it a few times and it took long, but gathering more data points now, yeah most are below 4 and a bunch I recognized instantly. But some are impressively long. So kind of similar, I guess.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4426 on: September 20, 2022, 05:13:27 pm »

I think it's more relevant for songs you don't know though.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4427 on: September 20, 2022, 05:17:29 pm »

Can also be infinity if the song never makes sense. That's how I felt the first dozen times listening to Blue Lambency Downward

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4428 on: September 20, 2022, 05:21:55 pm »

Actually if you're interested in trying, here's a link, I'm curious what times you'd get. That song probably holds the record for thing I listened to for the most amount of time without liking it, but which I liked a lot eventually.

I'm think even for normal songs I don't know 1-2s is unusually short, but then again you're a professional

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4429 on: September 20, 2022, 05:36:58 pm »

Actually if you're interested in trying, here's a link, I'm curious what times you'd get. That song probably holds the record for thing I listened to for the most amount of time without liking it, but which I liked a lot eventually.

I'm think even for normal songs I don't know 1-2s is unusually short, but then again you're a professional

Am I supposed to start listening from a random point or just from the beginning now?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4430 on: September 21, 2022, 02:43:18 am »

random!

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4431 on: September 21, 2022, 06:24:57 am »

If genre matters a lot, that would be a pretty interesting finding, too. Like the song I linked is from a genre I have 0 familiarity with, so maybe I only found it difficult because of that. One could even say musical genres are not a social construct

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4432 on: September 21, 2022, 06:28:48 am »

Probably broad genres like jazz or something have more systematic correlates, whereas black metal vs post metal is more of a social thing. Not that it doesn't respond to features of the music, it does of course, but the particular way it's decomposed is probably arbitrary. And like black metal as a category doesn't make too much sense anyway since it can go into rather different extremes

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4433 on: September 21, 2022, 07:46:00 am »

I started it at 3:25 and it first started to make sense at 3:28, but then I had to re-evaluate that assumption at 3:35 and it took me until 3:43 to confirm that the initial assumption was in fact correct and then it stayed that way for the rest of the song (and I did like it). I am familiar with Kayo Dot's newer stuff though, so it's not like their musical language is completely foreign to me.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4434 on: September 21, 2022, 08:26:38 am »

I started it at 3:25 and it first started to make sense at 3:28, but then I had to re-evaluate that assumption at 3:35 and it took me until 3:43 to confirm that the initial assumption was in fact correct and then it stayed that way for the rest of the song (and I did like it). I am familiar with Kayo Dot's newer stuff though, so it's not like their musical language is completely foreign to me.

ok now I'm really impressed

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4435 on: September 21, 2022, 08:28:43 am »

So if you heard this song without seeing the band name, would you have been able to guess that it's kayo dot? Given that they don't even have another album in the same genre.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4436 on: September 21, 2022, 09:04:28 am »

So if you heard this song without seeing the band name, would you have been able to guess that it's kayo dot? Given that they don't even have another album in the same genre.

Well I can obviously only guess now that I have seen it, and I guess it's maybe about 50/50? If Kayo Dot was a super popular band, then I'm pretty sure I would be able to guess it from the compositional style and the arrangement and the vocals and the drums, but the fact that they're not makes it unlikely by default that a random song picked by someone else would be from them, and so if someone made me listen to a song that sounds like Kayo Dot, I could potentially think that it's more likely that it's an artist I have never heard before that just happens to sound like Kayo Dot.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4437 on: September 21, 2022, 09:10:12 am »

Also cognitive biases are very strong in identifying composers (at least for me). When I'm listening to a song I know the composer of, it's very easy to recognize the things that composer always does, but if I think I know who the composer is but I'm mistaken, I still attribute some of the things I'm hearing in the song as being typical of the composer I think it is.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4438 on: September 21, 2022, 09:26:59 am »

Oh hey actually here's a chance for me to demonstrate my composer recognition ability/biases. As far as I know, it has not been announced who is doing the music for this upcoming movie. The previous two movies from the same director had the music done by Radwimps, but the singer in this trailer is definitely not Radwimps' singer. By default, I don't think it would be ridiculously unlikely for the movie to have a different composer or have an insert song by a different artist as the director has worked with different composers and artists before, nor would it be ridiculously unlikely for Radwimps to feature a guest singer, but judging from the compositional style, I am like 90-93% sure this is Radwimps.

It remains to be seen whether this will be an example of how I can recognize Radwimps or how I can trick myself into finding Radwimps characteristics from songs that are not by Radwimps when I start with the preconceived notion that it could potentially be Radwimps.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4439 on: September 21, 2022, 02:49:41 pm »

Man I've seen so many movies that show a poker scene, some guy bets high, and then it's revealed that he has 27o. It's such a dreadful sterotype. Anyone who goes to the River with 27o in almost any situation is terrible at poker. Bluffing is not about showing confidence, there's friggin strategy involved.

Maybe it's time to quit the show before I have to witness it going bad. Season 1 was great. Season 2 was very good. Season 3 was amazing. Season 4 was only... let's call it "good". Season 5 shows severe signs of decline already.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4440 on: September 21, 2022, 03:32:20 pm »

Man I've seen so many movies that show a poker scene, some guy bets high, and then it's revealed that he has 27o. It's such a dreadful sterotype. Anyone who goes to the River with 27o in almost any situation is terrible at poker. Bluffing is not about showing confidence, there's friggin strategy involved.

Maybe it's time to quit the show before I have to witness it going bad. Season 1 was great. Season 2 was very good. Season 3 was amazing. Season 4 was only... let's call it "good". Season 5 shows severe signs of decline already.

Decline of civility?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4441 on: September 21, 2022, 04:50:55 pm »

quality

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4442 on: September 21, 2022, 05:39:08 pm »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4443 on: September 21, 2022, 05:40:09 pm »

Also if I just post this and another post then...

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4444 on: September 21, 2022, 05:40:18 pm »

Quads get.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4445 on: September 22, 2022, 04:39:44 am »

I'm 90-93% sure that there's a joke I'm not getting

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4446 on: September 22, 2022, 05:03:09 am »

Another argument against functionalism I've never thought about before (idea from watching a Steven Lehar lecture):

Everything in complex systems can go wrong. As in, there are mistakes. Software crashes. That's why we do redundancy and stuff.

Obviously, things in the human brain can also go wrong, and they do. We've catalogued hundreds of different ways in the form of mental disorders.

So if human vision were the product of bits, you'd expect to see, well, bit errors! Some people ought to have, e.g., rectangular regions on their visual field where the color is inverted, or that have a static color, or anything in that ball park. There should be some hint that it's made out of pixels when things go wrong. But afaik there are no reports of this. There *are* ways the visual field stops working, but they manifest differently. They can be things like, not being able to bind the field into a coherent hole, not being able to recognize objects, or seeing geometrical patterns anywhere on psychedelics.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4447 on: September 22, 2022, 05:27:06 am »

Man, human visual has so much going on it's *crazy*.

First of all, it's both 2d and 3d; the color information itself is 2d but the percept is 3d and extends behind your head. So there's modal and amodal perception stacked on top of each other. Then it does all this gestalt stuff of finishing partially hidden shapes and choosing the most symmetrical and simple explanations. Then it has all of this information on each point simultaneously. E.g., each pixel has both a luminosity and a brightness value. If you look at monocolored surface with continuous shading, it's perceived as static brightness with differing luminosity, so strictly more information than what's contained in just the color of each pixel, which would also fit with static luminosity and changing brightness. In fact, a white sheet of paper with poor lighting has the same color as a dark gray surface in bright daylight, but they are perceived totally differently.

Then it's all a spherical projection where an infinite depth is projected into a finite representation. Parallel lines extending into the depth dimension are somehow perceived as parallel and not parallel at the same time.

And it seems like even the laws of physics (or rather, a much more primitive version, probably Aristotle style) are encoded in perception. If I imagine a rock, it automatically wants to fall down. It requires effort to make it stay in place. If I imagine an abstract shape, it doesn't want to move. And this works even though I have really poor visual imagination skills. And the same works with modal stimuli. If you see a flying bird covered up by a billboard, the visual field will automatically compute the flight path, and you'll amodally perceive it flying behind the billboard.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4448 on: September 22, 2022, 07:27:45 am »

I'm 90-93% sure that there's a joke I'm not getting

Decline of civility?

This was a reference to the "Decline of civility on isotropic?" thread on f.ds, which eventually had a decline of civility itself and had to be locked, making it one of the legendary awful threads that are often referred to in f.ds inside jokes.

quality

Thanks!

Although your "quality" was obviously meant to clarify what there had been a decline of in the TV show you had been watching, "quality" can also be used as an adjective to describe something very good. So I chose to interpret it in the latter sense, as if it was a review of my "Decline of civility" joke. This is funny not only because of the potentially ambiguous meaning of the word, but also because the joke in question was very low-effort and not particularly clever, making it very surprising that you would give it such a high evaluation — defying expectations in absurd ways is a classic technique in comedy.

Quads get.

The reply number of this post ends in four copies of the same digit, also known as quads. Because for any given reply number, only one person per thread can have it in their post, it is cool to get cool reply numbers, such as quads.

Now the jokes are funny because I have explained them.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4449 on: September 22, 2022, 07:56:24 am »

This was a reference to the "Decline of civility on isotropic?" thread on f.ds, which eventually had a decline of civility itself and had to be locked, making it one of the legendary awful threads that are often referred to in f.ds inside jokes.

And here I am, hearing about it for the first time
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 273  All

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 20 queries.