Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 274  All

Author Topic: The Necro Wars  (Read 347902 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: The Necro Wars
« Reply #2250 on: December 31, 2021, 11:47:13 am »

I am also sceptical about why I should put these carpets that I've just pushed back into their respective unnatural low entropy states back into my room. What's the point of having carpets, exactly? Is it just an aesthetic thing? Because I think I prefer the look without them. And they're just going to make dust spawn more quickly

Mostly it's more comfortable to step on a carpet than the floor, but carpets also marginally help with thermal insulation and acoustics.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2251 on: January 02, 2022, 11:10:14 am »

Let it be known that writing about morality and consciousness is harder than either thinking about Factored Cognition or doing work on image classifier interpretability

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: January 02, 2022, 03:11:39 pm »

It's really funny to me to see netflix recommend the first two harry potter movies. Year long conditioning of parodies makes it so I can't help but laugh just seeing their faces.

It helps that none of the movie characters ever became a serious contender for how I think about the book characters, which at least used to be quite important to me. People say they imagine Hermione looking like Emma Watson, but I don't think I've ever done that. Hlps again that I don't tend to think a lot in images anyway

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2253 on: January 02, 2022, 03:12:31 pm »

The harry potter movies also just aren't particularly good. The third is good, and I think the seventh was okay, the rest was between eh and quite bad..

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: January 02, 2022, 03:13:23 pm »

I do remember that Harry has no plan whatsever how to catch horcruxes in movies 7-8, which did strike me as an odd plot choice. He's completely stumbling through

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2255 on: January 02, 2022, 03:18:03 pm »

For curiosity and continuity, let's look at IMBD scores

01 - 7.6
02 - 7.4
03 - 7.9
04 - 7.7
05 - 7.5
06 - 7.6
07 - 7.7
08 - 8.1

I rate this moderate yuck. 08 > 03 is proposterous

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2256 on: January 02, 2022, 03:19:38 pm »

Here is the improved list

01 - lol
02 - lol
03 - 8.2
04 - 2.8
05 - 4.7
06 - 5.3
07 - 5.9
08 - 3.3

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: January 02, 2022, 03:20:46 pm »

Malfoy's face in the first two movies is just the funniest thing

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2258 on: January 03, 2022, 07:47:36 am »

Sometimes you don't notice how ridiculous a word sounds before you use it a bunch. I'm not sure I could have guessed which word includes the string "enomenolo"

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: January 03, 2022, 09:45:46 am »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2260 on: January 03, 2022, 11:46:48 am »

So supposedly people who are pregnant have a 13x higher IFR (infection fatality rate) than normal people. Not sure I buy this, but if I do, this means my sister actually had a serious risk of death, somewhere between 0.9% and 4.5%.

Which does, in fact, fit with what happened, which as mentioned is a severe case. I unfortunately don't know exactly how the IFR translates to the outcome distribution. Presumably there is a bell curve, there is a point on the bell curve such that you die to the right of it, and the probability mass of the area to the right is the IFR. But this doesn't answer the question. I still don't know what the risk of hospitalization is or the risk of severe outcomes or the median outcome

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: January 03, 2022, 05:31:32 pm »

Victoria is a fucking great movie

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: January 04, 2022, 08:03:26 am »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: January 04, 2022, 09:11:37 am »

So annoyed by articles about health risks that don't have numbers. "Pregnant people are at higher risk from the flu". Yes, thank you. You realize this can mean 1.5x and 50x?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: January 04, 2022, 09:47:49 am »

It appears that I have the most upvoted 1-2 star review of Girl from Nowhere on IMBD. This makes me very happy. I actually put real effort into it, too.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2265 on: January 04, 2022, 10:56:16 am »

I notice that I still don't have a healthy relationship to my own writing. I either like it a lot of am really embarrassed by it (and I can't tell until some time has passed). There ought to be a middle ground where I think it's okay.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: January 04, 2022, 12:40:20 pm »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: January 04, 2022, 12:49:22 pm »

Although I am more impressed with the pianist and the person who wrote the software than the composer

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: January 05, 2022, 06:57:30 am »

and vampires

although I don't believe the slope is correct. 80% of people had phones with cameras in 2009?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: January 05, 2022, 08:11:05 am »

My Ex is a Shit-eating Whore

twist: the ex unironically describes this as "an (incredibly sweet) ad". I do appreciate this kind of humor

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2270 on: January 05, 2022, 08:15:48 am »

although I don't believe the slope is correct. 80% of people had phones with cameras in 2009?

It doesn't seem to claim that, the point at 2010 looks like it's about 75%. Between smart phones, dumb phones with cameras, and people carrying small digital cameras everywhere they went, it still seems high but maybe not ridiculously so.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: January 05, 2022, 08:30:51 am »

singled out 2009 because my still-only-anonymously-published-and-in-the-process-of-rewrite webnovel has this plot point where the main character thinks they only have a few more years before the existence of vampires will be revealed due to exactly this. But I assumed this was around the time where people started to carry cameras.

not going to be too sad if this is off, though. the universe is probably already a counterfactual if you think it through enough. the rough slop of the graph is what matters for plausibility

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: January 05, 2022, 08:49:58 am »

I'm struggling to find a way to make a lesson about networks, which is part of the curriculum for one of my classes (the only one with weekly rather than biweekly lessons, also I have both groups, so it's a significant fraction of my hours).

I don't think I understand much about networks at all, and most of what I read is a bit like "here is this very high level description of a process on a particular level of abstraction that I can don't fully understand and can't contextualize and which depends on a thousand other concepts that are all similar". This is probably part of the "not being comfortable with information that relies on a lot of unknowns" problem that I have.

I understand graphs. Those are nice, rigorously defined objects. But this whole package sending through networks and routing internet IP switch network layer abstraction direct link thing, not so much.

Here is the translated description in the curriculum

Areas of application of networks

Data packets, addressing, path finding / routing

Network components

Storage of data in networks

Encryption of data

Data security

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: January 05, 2022, 08:52:13 am »

And then like, Encryption and data security are massive areas that aren't particularly related to networks. Supposedly I'm meant to have super brief non-technical introductions to those.

Maybe it just has to be a lesson like "here is a bunch of non-connected information about different things, memorize it"

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2274 on: January 05, 2022, 10:12:40 am »

And then like, Encryption and data security are massive areas that aren't particularly related to networks. Supposedly I'm meant to have super brief non-technical introductions to those.

Would it suffice to tell the students where they can study those on their own and come up with a brief demonstration why it's not only important but also cool and exciting, to make some of them motivated enough to actually study it? I mean, one lesson isn't really enough to even get started on anything useful, and if you don't even have time for a full lesson dedicated to encryption and data security, that's even worse.

Pages: 1 ... 89 90 [91] 92 93 ... 274  All

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 21 queries.