Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 273  All

Author Topic: The Necro Wars  (Read 345744 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
Re: The Necro Wars
« Reply #4625 on: November 13, 2022, 04:16:55 am »

Also notice how your mind constructs the percept of a single unified line at the bottom of the picture, even though about half of it has no physical correspondence. Bet you didn't think I could breed a crossover between both topics!

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4626 on: November 14, 2022, 04:53:12 am »

There's probably a chance that I only got my grant accepted because of SBF and FTX. Thankfully I'm a consequentialist so I'm not particularly bothered ... clutch timing!

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4627 on: November 14, 2022, 04:54:06 am »

to clarify: that's because the far future fund just had a lot more money because of SBF, so they were presumably funding more things. I don't know that it wouldn't have made the cut anyway, but it's certainly possible.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4628 on: November 15, 2022, 02:41:03 am »

Quote from: more Steven Lehar paper stuff
Pessoaet al. (1998) make the case for denying the primacy of conscious experience. They argue thatalthough the subjective experience of filling-in phenomena is sometimes accompanied by someneurophysiological correlate, that such an isomorphism between experience and neurophysiology is notlogically necessary, but is merely an empirical issue, for, they claim, subjective experiences can occur inthe absence of a strictly isomorphic correlate. They argue that although the subjective experience ofvisual consciousness appears as a “picture” or three-dimensional model of a surrounding world, this doesnot mean that the information manifest in that experience is necessarily explicitly encoded in the brain.That consciousness is an illusion based on a far more compressed or abbreviated representation, in whichpercepts such as that of a filled-in colored surface can be explained neurophysiologically by “ignoring anabsence” rather than by an explicit point-for-point mapping of the perceived surface in the brain.

In fact, nothing could be farther from the truth.

idk why exactly, but this is so funny to me. >Patiently explains position.< "In fact, nothing could be farther from the truth". Very diplomatic :D

And he's completely right, of course. It's a difficult question whether conscious experience requires an explicit or implicit  representation in the brain, but it most certainly requires information to be there, otherwise we're getting into extremely wacky metaphysics (namely Interactionism).

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4629 on: November 15, 2022, 02:48:03 am »

In fact, the “dirty little secret” of neuroscience, as Searle( 1997, p.198) calls it, is that we have no idea what the correct level of analysis of the brain should be, because there is no universally accepted theory of how the brain actually codes perceptual or experiential information.

Amen

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4630 on: November 16, 2022, 09:10:56 am »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4631 on: November 16, 2022, 09:40:45 am »

didn't realize what a funny guy he is. Too bad he's 70.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4632 on: November 17, 2022, 04:16:05 am »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4633 on: November 17, 2022, 06:00:35 am »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4634 on: November 17, 2022, 11:41:34 am »

So this is one of the harder visual percepts:

Do you see what this is on first glance? Or after a few seconds? It took me a long time, which is probably related to having poor visualization skills, though I'm not sure.

The correct interpretation is one continuous black band wrapped repeatedly around a spiraling white cylinder

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4635 on: November 17, 2022, 11:42:40 am »

Kept thinking it looked like  a face, which it is not

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4636 on: November 17, 2022, 11:44:13 am »

And another one:

This one is really ridiculous hard imo.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4637 on: November 17, 2022, 12:05:39 pm »

So this is one of the harder visual percepts:

Do you see what this is on first glance? Or after a few seconds? It took me a long time, which is probably related to having poor visualization skills, though I'm not sure.

It took me a few seconds, maybe a few more seconds to figure out what was going on at the bottom.

I couldn't see this one at all, then I looked up the original image it was based on. I can see it now, but it's kind of unfair compared to all the other ones because there's so much information in the picture that's completely irrelevant to the subject.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4638 on: November 17, 2022, 12:49:40 pm »

[+1]

You might have mentioned this before, but do you have good visualization skills?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4639 on: November 17, 2022, 12:50:17 pm »

(Btw should put this somewhere, the second one is an image of the head of a cow, at the bottom left)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4640 on: November 17, 2022, 01:02:53 pm »

You might have mentioned this before, but do you have good visualization skills?

Probably at least average, but nothing I would brag about. Visual memory is my weakest human benchmark.

Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4641 on: November 17, 2022, 01:03:21 pm »

(I did not actually join 3 days ago, the screenshot is old)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4642 on: November 17, 2022, 07:52:04 pm »

those are impressive tbh. I don't remember my results but I'm pretty sure I wasn't in the top half in everything

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4643 on: November 17, 2022, 07:52:42 pm »

White  to play. What's the move?

(This is not difficult, but it was against an almost 1600 opponent, so it was special.)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4644 on: November 17, 2022, 08:20:44 pm »

those are impressive tbh. I don't remember my results but I'm pretty sure I wasn't in the top half in everything

To be fair, most of those are not my first attempts, I tryharded it for like a few days (hence the "joined 3 days ago" in the screenshot).

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4645 on: November 19, 2022, 05:35:13 am »

(Lehar made these himself btw.)

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #4646 on: November 19, 2022, 07:32:02 am »

(Lehar made these himself btw.)
I don't know anything about the guy, but it's not exactly a good look when you use the same kind of imagery that a conspiracy theorist would.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4647 on: November 19, 2022, 09:11:26 am »

Yeah I don't actually disagree; I don't find his rhetoric with reviewers convincing, and this is probably actively harmful to his cause. I just think it's really funny.

And he is 100% right, not because of his rhethoric but because of his papers. Which have almost none of this tone; like that's why it was such a big surprise. His papers are really clean, object-level and (imo) really good.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4648 on: November 19, 2022, 09:13:55 am »

For some context, his entire thing is modeling how vision works based on introspection, and part of that was taking lots of psychedelics and observing what that does to visual perception. It probably takes a weird person to do that, but it didn't detract from his ability to make robust arguments.

(In the unlikely case anyone actually wants to look at a paper, this one is really good.)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4649 on: November 20, 2022, 09:24:10 am »

I can't listen all that much to Rush because their music is too normal-sounding with male clean vocals, but I have great respect for their lyrics. Some people say that ambiguity is a feature; I think this is mostly BS. It's not actually difficult to write ambigious lyrics; you just optimize for the sound the words make while having a vague theme in mind and otherwise don't worry about content (e.g., everything Opeth has ever written).

I think it's much harder to write lyrics that have umambiguous meaning but sound very poetic. E.g., Subdivisions or Bu2B

The writing is also very strict in terms of rhyming schemes, which is kinda neat.
Pages: 1 ... 184 185 [186] 187 188 ... 273  All

Page created in 0.117 seconds with 19 queries.