Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 273  All

Author Topic: The Necro Wars  (Read 346782 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
Re: The Necro Wars
« Reply #4550 on: October 21, 2022, 03:36:16 am »

Relevant but not conclusive paragraph from book 6:

“My dear Prime Minister, you can’t honestly think I’m still Minister of Magic after all this? I was sacked three days ago! The whole Wizarding community has been screaming for my resignation for a fortnight. I’ve never known them so united in my whole term of office!” said Fudge, with a brave attempt at a smile.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #4551 on: October 21, 2022, 04:04:14 am »

Relevant but not conclusive paragraph from book 6:

“My dear Prime Minister, you can’t honestly think I’m still Minister of Magic after all this? I was sacked three days ago! The whole Wizarding community has been screaming for my resignation for a fortnight. I’ve never known them so united in my whole term of office!” said Fudge, with a brave attempt at a smile.
Yeah, seems like the Liz Truss situation but it's not like she was democratically elected. It could well be an internal ministry thing. Especially "sacked" is not a term usually used for like, votes of no confidence but rather some kind of board meeting deciding to let the CEO of a company go.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4552 on: October 21, 2022, 01:11:51 pm »

one odd thing about book 4...

why is Fleur such a bitch? From book 5 onward, she's perfectly nice. I know harry rescues her sister, but still, I hereby accuse the book of INCONSISTENT CHARACTERIZATION

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4553 on: October 21, 2022, 01:14:31 pm »

Also Ron is so immature jesus. But I guess he's 14 so it makes sense

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4554 on: October 21, 2022, 01:18:43 pm »

But man even when the content is questionable, Rowling can really be funny

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4555 on: October 21, 2022, 01:29:16 pm »

Ah harry and ron are both so stupid :(

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4556 on: October 21, 2022, 01:45:09 pm »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4557 on: October 23, 2022, 04:28:19 am »

Here's one of the deepest mysteries of technology

Sometimes, there are pdf files that are pixel-y, like if you zoom in really hard, you see it's all just 2-color and not all letters look the same (e.g., compare both p letters)

So you'd think those are just pdfs that save images rather than text, right? Wrong! Because you can copy text out of them. So what gives? If the pdf knows they're letters, why aren't they just rendered as letters (i.e., super high resolution re-rendered when you zoom, grayscale, etc)? Does it store both letter and image information? BUt why? ??? ??? ???

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4558 on: October 23, 2022, 05:30:38 am »

Here's one of the deepest mysteries of technology

Sometimes, there are pdf files that are pixel-y, like if you zoom in really hard, you see it's all just 2-color and not all letters look the same (e.g., compare both p letters)

So you'd think those are just pdfs that save images rather than text, right? Wrong! Because you can copy text out of them. So what gives? If the pdf knows they're letters, why aren't they just rendered as letters (i.e., super high resolution re-rendered when you zoom, grayscale, etc)? Does it store both letter and image information? BUt why? ??? ??? ???

This feature is actually FUCKING GREAT! This is what PDFs need! because there's a gorillion reasons why text in text data form can get rendered differently on different systems, programs, etc. and the point of PDFs is that they get rendered exactly the same way on every system. But being able to copy the text is useful, so you have that, too.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4559 on: October 23, 2022, 06:57:36 am »

Uh, what the actual fuck?

English Harry Potter book (#3):

“What sort of animal —?” Harry began, but Hermione cut him off. “That was still really
dangerous! Running around in the dark with a werewolf! What if you’d given the others the slip,
and bitten somebody?”

“A thought that still haunts me,” said Lupin heavily. “And there were near misses, many of them.
We laughed about them afterwards. We were young, thoughtless — carried away with our own
cleverness.

“I sometimes felt guilty about betraying Dumbledore’s trust, of course… he had admitted me to
Hogwarts when no other headmaster would have done so, and he had no idea I was breaking the
rules he had set down for my own and others’ safety. He never knew I had led three fellow
students into becoming Animagi illegally. But I always managed to forget my guilty feelings
every time we sat down to plan our next month’s adventure. And I haven’t changed…”
Lupin’s face had hardened, and there was self-disgust in his voice. “All this year, I have been
battling with myself, wondering whether I should tell Dumbledore that Sirius was an Animagus.
But I didn’t do it. Why? Because I was too cowardly. It would have meant admitting that I’d
betrayed his trust while I was at school, admitting that I’d led others along with me… and
Dumbledore’s trust has meant everything to me. He let me into Hogwarts as a boy, and he gave
me a job when I have been shunned all my adult life, unable to find paid work because of what I
am. And so I convinced myself that Sirius was getting into the school using dark arts he learned
from Voldemort, that being an Animagus had nothing to do with it… so, in a way, Snape’s been
right about me all along.”

“Snape?” said Black harshly, taking his eyes off Scabbers; for the first time in minutes and
looking up at Lupin. “What’s Snape got to do with it?”

“He’s here, Sirius,” said Lupin heavily. “He’s teaching here as well.” He looked up at Harry,
Ron, and Hermione.

“Professor Snape was at school with us. He fought very hard against my appointment to the
Defense Against the Dark Arts job. He has been telling Dumbledore all year that I am not to be
trusted. He has his reasons… you see, Sirius here played a trick on him which nearly killed him,
a trick which involved me —”

Black made a derisive noise.

“It served him right,” he sneered. “Sneaking around, trying to find out what we were up to…
hoping he could get us expelled…”

Same passage in the German Version:

»Was für ein Tier ... ?«, wollte Harry wissen, doch Hermine
unterbrach ihn.

»Das war immer noch sehr gefährlich! Mit einem Werwolf
in der Dunkelheit umherzulaufen.«

»Du hast Recht«, sagte Lupin nachdenklich. »Aber wir
waren jung und dachten, mit unserem Scharfsinn könnten wir
alles machen. Ich will nicht verhehlen, dass es manchmal
brenzlig wurde. Einige Male hätte ich die andern fast aus den
Augen verloren und jemanden verletzt. Und dann, eines Tages,
rächte sich alles. Ihr - ähm - habt sicher bemerkt, dass Professor
Snape mich nicht leiden kann. Der Grund ist, dass Sirius ihm
einen Streich gespielt hat, der ihn fast das Leben gekostet hätte.«
Black grunzte hämisch.

»Geschah ihm recht«, krächzte er. »Hat rumgeschnüffelt
und wollte rausfinden, was wir vorhatten ... er wollte doch nur,
dass wir von der Schule fliegen ...«

Google Translate

"What animal...?" Harry demanded, but Hermione did
interrupted him.

“It was still very dangerous! With a werewolf
walking around in the dark."

"You're right," said Lupine thoughtfully. "But we
were young and thought that with our ingenuity we could
do everything. I won't hide it sometimes
got hot. A few times I almost got the other ones out
Lost eyes and hurt someone. And then one day
everything avenged itself. You - um - must have noticed that Professor
Snape doesn't like me. The reason is that Sirius gave him
played a prank that nearly cost him his life."
Black grunted maliciously.

"Served him right," he croaked. 'Sniffing around
and wanted to find out what we were up to... he just wanted
that we will be kicked out of school..."

They just cut out an entire passage! Why would they do that?? I've just read that literally for the first time!

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4560 on: October 23, 2022, 06:59:10 am »

And it's an important passage, too. Whhhy????

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4561 on: October 23, 2022, 07:00:11 am »

This feature is actually FUCKING GREAT! This is what PDFs need! because there's a gorillion reasons why text in text data form can get rendered differently on different systems, programs, etc. and the point of PDFs is that they get rendered exactly the same way on every system. But being able to copy the text is useful, so you have that, too.

Oh yeah, that actually makes tons of sense.

Although not all pdfs are like that -- some do re-render letters.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4562 on: October 25, 2022, 04:16:08 pm »

Remember how I said Ron was stupid for having the three of them be a Rook, a Bishop, and  pawn in chess?

We now have rigorous data to show that I'm right! https://twitter.com/algekalipso/status/1584984986230599680

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4563 on: October 25, 2022, 04:18:43 pm »

*be a rook, bishop, and knight.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4564 on: October 27, 2022, 08:54:27 am »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4565 on: October 27, 2022, 08:57:54 am »

It's so interesting that under Open Individualism + Eternalism, merely having a blissful experience is like a valuable community service

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4566 on: October 28, 2022, 05:50:18 pm »

This Wikipedia Article reads like a horror novel. And this

Cullen, upset with the judge, kept repeating, "Your Honor, you need to step down" for thirty minutes until Platt had Cullen gagged with cloth and duct tape. 

is probably the strangest sentence I've ever read on Wikipedia. This is the kind of thing bad writers do ... "he stared at her for 1 minute", not realizing how long that is. but this is wikipedia. what the hell

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4567 on: October 28, 2022, 05:59:09 pm »

NYT:

But on Friday, facing another round of sentencing, this time for his murders in Pennsylvania, he infuriated the relatives of some of his victims by repeating his bizarre chant hundreds of times over 30 minutes, during which attempts to muffle him proved unsuccessful.

"I feel very cheated," said Walter Henne, a relative who showed up in court to address Mr. Cullen and had to raise his voice to be heard over him. "Our last trump card was taken away from us by the childish behavior of Mr. Cullen."

A judge ignored Cullen's outbursts and gave him six more life sentences.

I'm not sure I believe it though. It's the NYT after all.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4568 on: October 28, 2022, 07:42:37 pm »

I stand by my assessment that Elon's ownership of Twitter will not have improved the site in any way by April 2023. However, I am now considerably more pessimistic about the possibility of it having negative effects — and not necessarily just for Twitter itself either, but for online freedom of speech in general, and actually less directly for democracy and human rights both online and AFK. I still think there's a good chance he's just going to realize he's being an idiot and stop being one, I'm just not that confident about that anymore.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4569 on: October 29, 2022, 05:00:44 am »

If it stays as it is now, you win the bet, right?

I've become less optimistic since because my opinion of Musk has declined.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4570 on: October 29, 2022, 05:45:27 am »

If it stays as it is now, you win the bet, right?

I've become less optimistic since because my opinion of Musk has declined.

If a neutral judge rules that it stayed as it was or got worse, I win, but it only works if someone can judge that.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4571 on: October 29, 2022, 03:08:49 pm »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4572 on: October 29, 2022, 04:12:51 pm »

Classic Aella Poll

I wonder how many of the 25% who voted no would still vote no if it was any other religious ritual.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4573 on: November 01, 2022, 01:48:41 pm »

Don't say anything. I know what you're thinking -- anyone reading this -- you were desperately hoping to spontaneously find an explanation that tells you all about animal walking cycles. ... well, I was going to do something else, but if it's so important, I'll explain it. You're welcome!

So, insects have a bunch of so-called gaits, which are the patterns in which they use their legs. Here are the common ones:

E.g., the first one is where the insect first uses its right hindleg, then its right middle leg, then its right front leg, then its left hind leg, then its left middle leg, then its left front leg. (And then repeats.) The second-last one is where it first uses the right front&hind leg and the left middle leg, then the other three. (And then repeats.) The black stripes denote protraction, which is the swing of the leg forward.

Now, how could evolution have implemented all of this? Since intelligence is all about bits moving around, surely it's with several algorithms that each implement different gaits, right? Or perhaps a more clever interpretation with some modular pieces?

Well, nope! The basic building block here is something called a pacemaker cell, which is a cell that, as the name says, oscillates between different states. (Two weeks ago I still thought this was a fringe theory; I was wrong; it's actually perfectly mainstream.) There's one such oscillator for each leg. When the oscillator reaches a certain point, the leg protracts. You've probably noticed already that the retraction time is always constant (the stripes are all equally long); the insect takes the same amount of time to swing a leg forward if it's running (e.g., second-last gait) than if it's walking slowly (e.g., first gait).

All of these pacemaker cells only obtain a single input from the central nervous system, which is the period (i.e., how long each oscillator takes for each oscillation). That's it! The entire system produces all of this stuff with only a single scalar input! All oscillators have that same frequency.

That itself wouldn't do it of course; the legs also need to be coordinated. Here are the mechanisms:

- There's a so-called "servomechanism circuit" that adjusts the strength of the movement based on sensory feedback about how much is needed, e.g., you need more if it's going uphill. This is the boring part.
- There's a mechanism which the oscillators on the same side exchange information. Basically, whenever the R3 oscillator (right hindleg) reaches a certain point, it sends a signal to R2, and R2 adjusts its speed such that it is a fixed time behind R3. And yes, I mean a fixed time -- not dependent on the period! You'll notice that in all gaits, the time between the start of R3 and R2 is the same! Ditto for R2 and R1, also an exchange of information. And L3 to L2 and L2 to L1.
- There's another mechanism by which each oscillator exchanges information with the same oscillator on the opposite side (i.e., R3 to L3 and R2 to L2 and R1 to L1). The receiving oscillator adjusts itself such that it is exactly half of the period apart, i.e., 180°. Again, you'll notice that in all gaits, R3 and L3 are exactly half of the period apart, and ditto with R2/L2 and R1/L1.

And that's it! Well, almost. That's enough to produce all of the gaits above. And I know this for sure because I've implemented it all with a python program!

You simply set the period, and off it goes. The oscillators are at the left, and each time  I've also made it so a new cylce starts, it prints a black stripe on the right. I've made it so they are initially in the wrong position, but the feedback signals above make it so they adjust themselves quickly and are then perfectly stable.

The final detail is an error signal that happens a when a leg doesn't touch the ground. If this didn't exist, then if the insect had lost its middle legs and tried to run (second-last gait), it would do R3&R1 -> L3&L1 -> (loop), which obviously doesn't work because it would fall. But with the final error signal, it does R3&L1 -> R1&L3 -> (loop) instead, which is  the same that a 4-legged creature like a horse does when it's running! And the same mechanism also applies when the leg is just temporarily hindered; maybe it's not lost but didn't touch the ground for some reason, then the next leg spontaneously comes for the rescue.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4574 on: November 01, 2022, 01:54:42 pm »

The big takeaway: here's one problem where we know exactly how evolution solves it. (Maybe the hardest problem for which this is true?) And the solution uses physical mechanisms all over the place!

- The pacemaker cells doing the oscillation are physical. I've only found explanations for the pacemaker cells in the heart so far, but I think they're all the same. If it works like that, it's doing something with charged substances that go in and out of the cell, thus creating an oscillating electrical charge. So not actually a mechanical oscillation with a restoring force, but no less physical.

- The information exchange between the oscillators is also physical! I've never seen anyone say this explicitly, but it has to be physical because it doesn't use the central nervous system (the gaits still work if the connection to the nervous system is severed), so there cannot be an algorithm implemented.

- Ditto for the signal that sets the period.

The mechanism that *computes* the period comes from the nervous system and is probably logical. Not saying logical/bit-based algorithms don't have a part. But evolution heavily utilized physical mechanisms to have this intelligent behavior -- and it is intelligent; it reacts to changes in the environment and amputated legs, etc.
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 273  All

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 19 queries.