Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 273  All

Author Topic: The Necro Wars  (Read 346833 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
Re: The Necro Wars
« Reply #4525 on: October 15, 2022, 11:00:27 am »

I'm both disgusted and impressed

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4526 on: October 15, 2022, 11:05:29 am »

Of course, "no one gives money away ever so if they do it's a scam" still works.

This in fact is basically a perfect metric as far as the internet goes, at least when it's not in niche communities.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4527 on: October 15, 2022, 12:14:35 pm »

Take a look at this: https://twitter.com/dsya_haryana/status/1581113618661113856

It's a really clever scam. The person pretends to be Elon Musk and to do a crypto giveaway. I think the way it works is that you're asked to send X BTC or ETH to an address, and then receive 2X back (but ofc you really get nothing back).

I remember when people did this scam in RuneScape. Goes to show how useful playing RuneScape is, it teaches you to recognize scams IRL.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4528 on: October 17, 2022, 04:49:34 am »

It's really adorable how naive Rowling was during the first Harry Potter Book. You have an entire castle full of teenagers undergoing puberty, and the worst thing that happened all year is that three of them visited the astronomy tower at midnight. Then they get -150 points, which is about as much as Hermione should make in an average week, and it's the main thing people talk about for the rest of the year.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4529 on: October 17, 2022, 04:51:15 am »

It works perfectly as a children's book, but it's a little odd how the entire universe behaves according to 11yo logic

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4530 on: October 17, 2022, 04:58:37 am »

... now I feel like I've posted this before. But I'm not gonna check.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4531 on: October 17, 2022, 05:49:17 am »

So, blood purity is, presumably, totally uncorrelated to anything in the harry potter universe.

However, in a weird statistical quirk, that should mean that, within Slyhtherin, pure-bloods are systematically less cunning or ambitious than half-bloods. Why? Because the hat presumably wants to balance houses. So if you have a pure-blood, this makes them more suited for Slytherin, thus meaning they require fewer other characteristics. And conversely, a half-blood would have to be more cunning to clear the bar.

And amusingly, it also means that outside of Slytherin, being a pure-blood should be positively correlated with the attributes of the respective house. This is true by symmetry, but you can also see it logically; if you're a pure-blood, you have an easy ticket to Slytherin, so if you're not in Slytherin, it's a sign that your qualification for another house is strong enough to outweigh that.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #4532 on: October 17, 2022, 07:17:18 am »

So, blood purity is, presumably, totally uncorrelated to anything in the harry potter universe.

However, in a weird statistical quirk, that should mean that, within Slyhtherin, pure-bloods are systematically less cunning or ambitious than half-bloods. Why? Because the hat presumably wants to balance houses. So if you have a pure-blood, this makes them more suited for Slytherin, thus meaning they require fewer other characteristics. And conversely, a half-blood would have to be more cunning to clear the bar.
It's like white men in academia!
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4533 on: October 17, 2022, 03:32:30 pm »

I did not expect this comparison coming from you.

What I can say is that 100% (as far as I remember) of the doctorate/phd positions I've looked at had a disclaimer that women or people of color would be preferentially picked. But that alone doesn't prove anything; it's not like there's any enforcement. They can write whatever on their website without following it.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4534 on: October 17, 2022, 03:53:05 pm »

I did not expect this comparison coming from you.

What I can say is that 100% (as far as I remember) of the doctorate/phd positions I've looked at had a disclaimer that women or people of color would be preferentially picked. But that alone doesn't prove anything; it's not like there's any enforcement. They can write whatever on their website without following it.
Oh I think you misunderstand. The white men are the pure-bloods in this analogy.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4535 on: October 17, 2022, 04:58:03 pm »

... ah. of course.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4536 on: October 18, 2022, 11:49:57 am »

It's funny because Hans cheating with Anal beads

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4537 on: October 18, 2022, 11:50:28 am »

And the first is funny because he was like "the chess speaks for itself" after his win

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4538 on: October 20, 2022, 06:00:52 am »

The dreaded moment is coming closer. I'm slowly running out of plot points. You don't quite appreciate how writing requires ideas for every single event until you do it yourself.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4539 on: October 20, 2022, 12:51:34 pm »

One strange thing about Harry Potter is how Hogwarts never suffers publicity damage from having

- Lord Voldemort
- A fraud
- A werewolf
- A Death-Eater

teach Defense Against the Dark Arts in years #1-4. (Obv. being a werewolf is not a character deficit, but large parts of society are stupid enough to think it is.)

Though kind of unclear how much of this is public knowledge

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4540 on: October 20, 2022, 12:54:31 pm »

Hmm in book 4, Dumbledore gives a speech about how Voldemort murdered Diggory, but he doesn't say anything about Moody or Crouch, so I guess the students don't know. Maybe Rowling thought it would just be too awkward...

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4541 on: October 20, 2022, 01:43:43 pm »

Let's see if this new starwars thing is actually any good. It is only I who gets to decide that since everyone else is wrong about this franchise.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4542 on: October 20, 2022, 01:50:00 pm »

Well based on literally the first 5 minutes this is indeed looking better than any starwars thing I've seen*, though that's honestly not a very high bar

*except attack of the clones

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4543 on: October 20, 2022, 02:28:09 pm »

Ok finished episode 1. Idk if I'll end up liking this show, but man it's comical how infinity more competence is contained in this show vs. starwars VI-IX

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4544 on: October 20, 2022, 02:31:28 pm »

One strange thing about Harry Potter is how Hogwarts never suffers publicity damage from having

- Lord Voldemort
- A fraud
- A werewolf
- A Death-Eater

teach Defense Against the Dark Arts in years #1-4. (Obv. being a werewolf is not a character deficit, but large parts of society are stupid enough to think it is.)

Don't they basically have a monopoly on allowing people to do magic? Seems like they don't really have to give a ShiT about PR.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4545 on: October 20, 2022, 03:10:00 pm »

I don't think so. I think the ministry can disallow people to use magic, but not Hogwarts.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4546 on: October 20, 2022, 03:29:23 pm »

I don't think so. I think the ministry can disallow people to use magic, but not Hogwarts.

Are adult wizards by default allowed to use magic even if they didn't go to Hogwarts? Underage wizards aren't, and neither is Hagrid, who was expelled from Hogwarts.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4547 on: October 20, 2022, 03:49:24 pm »

I think so. Definitely there's a bit in book 4 where Malfoy says his mother considered sending him to Durmstrang.

My interpretation of the Hagrid thing is that the punishment was being expelled and losing magic privileges, but not that he lost them because he was expelled

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4548 on: October 20, 2022, 04:04:09 pm »

I think so. Definitely there's a bit in book 4 where Malfoy says his mother considered sending him to Durmstrang.

Durmstrang is far away, though.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4549 on: October 20, 2022, 04:22:42 pm »

- Lord Voldemort
- A fraud
- A werewolf
- A Death-Eater

Don't they basically have a monopoly on allowing people to do magic? Seems like they don't really have to give a ShiT about PR.
Even if this were true though, public opinion could still lead to the restructuring of Hogwarts (I mean it kind of does, right? In book 5 we get Umbridge).

Speaking of this, it's kind of unclear to me how democratically organized the wizarding community is. I mean, the minstry exists, but how is it organized? Are there ever elections? I do not remember anything of the sort.
Pages: 1 ... 180 181 [182] 183 184 ... 273  All

Page created in 0.969 seconds with 19 queries.