Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 273  All

Author Topic: The Necro Wars  (Read 346325 times)

infangthief

• Duke
  • Shuffle iT Username: infangthief
  • Respect: +10000 (I wish)
    • View Profile
Re: The Necro Wars
« Reply #2975 on: March 15, 2022, 09:56:35 am »

apropos of nothing, but this is a hilarious button

not even out of context; it is actually about buying status
My first thought was it would tell you how many Buys you had left this turn.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2976 on: March 15, 2022, 11:26:38 am »

so how strong is the +1 card throne room?

It's not a Throne Room, it's a cantrip that gives a Lost City duration effect next turn. It's not quite strictly better than Caravan but very close.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2977 on: March 15, 2022, 11:29:46 am »

true if you draw your entire deck every turn and would play the card anyway, not true if you don't

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2978 on: March 15, 2022, 11:58:03 am »

true if you draw your entire deck every turn and would play the card anyway, not true if you don't

It's true whenever it gets laundered (which it naturally does every time you play it if you draw your entire deck, but also a substantial part of the time when you don't).
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2979 on: March 15, 2022, 12:08:39 pm »

'substantial', yes. 'Almost always', no. And the powerlevel of the card seems crazy high if it doesn't.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #2980 on: March 15, 2022, 12:29:47 pm »

so how strong is the +1 card throne room?

It's not a Throne Room, it's a cantrip that gives a Lost City duration effect next turn. It's not quite strictly better than Caravan but very close.
Well, it's not as spammable as Caravan though, at leas in a less enginey deck.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2981 on: March 15, 2022, 12:36:07 pm »

so on the on hand maybe I shouldn't be talking since I haven't played dominion in forever but on the other hand ...

Like it's Lost City AND A SCHEME if you were going to play the card anyway. Aren't you underestimating how good a scheme is? (One that you can't mess with.) If it stops you from having a dead turn once, it's way way above 'rate' for a Lost City

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2982 on: March 15, 2022, 12:36:42 pm »

Seems like the kind of thing you would understimate due to optimism bias

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #2983 on: March 15, 2022, 12:59:33 pm »

Seems like the kind of thing you would understimate due to optimism bias
It's also optimism bias to assume your Royal Galley will always hit a useful Action.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2984 on: March 15, 2022, 01:32:07 pm »

well if you draw it anyway it doesn't really matter whether you hit your good action or your bad action. Even a moat would be great anti-dead-turn insurance

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2985 on: March 15, 2022, 02:26:14 pm »

'substantial', yes. 'Almost always', no. And the powerlevel of the card seems crazy high if it doesn't.

Well it's half the time if you have no draw and more often than that if you do, and it's just a vanilla cantrip if it doesn't connect with an Action. In practice, by the time it reliably connects, you are usually already drawing a lot.

so on the on hand maybe I shouldn't be talking since I haven't played dominion in forever but on the other hand ...

Like it's Lost City AND A SCHEME if you were going to play the card anyway. Aren't you underestimating how good a scheme is? (One that you can't mess with.) If it stops you from having a dead turn once, it's way way above 'rate' for a Lost City

One copy of it is just half a Lost City and half a Scheme, and considering that it costs exactly half as much as a Lost City and a Scheme ($4 and a buy as opposed to $8 and two buys), that seems pretty reasonable. You don't have to give your opponent that extra card though.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2986 on: March 15, 2022, 02:30:33 pm »

I'm not saying it's a bad card, it's pretty useful. But it's not even close to the craziest thing Donald X. has printed recently.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2987 on: March 15, 2022, 02:50:40 pm »

Oh and then there is a 1 million word romance novel about applejack, so make that 5 million words total.

Actually it's nine and a half million, I've created a spreadsheet where I included everything. There were another 200 stories on the main account, most of them short, but still more than 4 million words between them.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2988 on: March 15, 2022, 05:39:59 pm »

Oh snap my paper got accepted

I feel like I've been damaged from all the phd rejections, turns out you can also get emails with the opposite response

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2989 on: March 15, 2022, 05:40:50 pm »

also it feels so incredibly distant now but I think I'll still go there and present it

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2990 on: March 15, 2022, 05:49:07 pm »

Looks like a very narrow accept, two "weak accept"  and one "weak reject". the main critique was that the literature review and comparison was lacking.

I probably could have seen that coming. I didn't really take that part seriously and gave it far less thought than the rest, just sort of managed a few paragraphs about what other papers do since you're supposed to do tthat

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2991 on: March 15, 2022, 05:52:06 pm »

It is a bit weird because I'm now supposed to go to Paris and listen to all of the other presentations, but I don't really care about any of that stuff anymore.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2992 on: March 15, 2022, 05:55:03 pm »

Looks like a very narrow accept, two "weak accept"  and one "weak reject". the main critique was that the literature review and comparison was lacking.

I probably could have seen that coming. I didn't really take that part seriously and gave it far less thought than the rest, just sort of managed a few paragraphs about what other papers do since you're supposed to do tthat

I bet for most people, they are working with a professor who knows the field and can help them with that stuff. Without that, making sure you know everything relevant related to your project is like a seriously tall ask. It's the kind of thing that's supposed to be a side effect of working in a field for years.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2993 on: March 16, 2022, 03:50:51 am »

So Lalight, today is day #3 right? On a scale from 0-10, how would you rate your mood today and yesterday? (Not how your circumstances are evolving, just how you feel relative to them.)

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #2994 on: March 16, 2022, 04:53:12 am »

So Lalight, today is day #3 right? On a scale from 0-10, how would you rate your mood today and yesterday? (Not how your circumstances are evolving, just how you feel relative to them.)

I'd say the day before yesterday was the hardest, closer to 3 or 4, yesterday it was more like 6, today I just woke up, so can't really say
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #2995 on: March 16, 2022, 04:57:18 am »

I had a weirdest dream that I was on the negotiations between Elon Musk and Putin and my job was to sort plethora of ballpens by color. And while I was sorting I evaluated them also by sharpness and which one is more probable to end the life of one of the negotiators by thrusting it into one's eyeball. Then I realized I'm behind the glass and it was crushing.

I don't like this, I don't even remember having dreams about killing anyone

LaLight

• Jester
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #2996 on: March 16, 2022, 04:59:58 am »

but! I didn't have any dreams since I've left Russia and i am relieved I have them again, these are an important part of my life

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2997 on: March 16, 2022, 12:57:50 pm »

reviewers: you should include x and y and z and xx and yz
ICPRAI: you have to do everything the reviews say, also remember that there is a strict page limit of 12.

and somhow, no-one noticed that adding stuff takes space

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2998 on: March 16, 2022, 01:03:20 pm »

I'd say the day before yesterday was the hardest, closer to 3 or 4, yesterday it was more like 6, today I just woke up, so can't really say

can you be more specific? Like, hard because of taingible things (concrete problems, anxiety, fear, homesickness, etc.) or for no tangible cause? ... Hm, I realize this distinction is harder to verbalize than I realized. Maybe motivation is the best proxy.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2999 on: March 16, 2022, 01:30:29 pm »

So I think I'm not gonna go to Paris and instead just participate online. For someone who isn't super interested in travel and doesn't have amazing social skills and not really any planned future that requires building connections in academia, going to the conFERENCE (I keep forgetting this word today, it's crazy, I just keep wanting to say "convention") is a big ask. Also expensive. Attending online is expensive as well, 450 euros, which doesn't matter for most people because of course this kind of thing is sponsored, but for me well.
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 273  All

Page created in 1.45 seconds with 19 queries.