Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 273  All

Author Topic: The Necro Wars  (Read 346433 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
Re: The Necro Wars
« Reply #1525 on: October 26, 2021, 03:05:14 pm »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: October 26, 2021, 04:13:49 pm »

Correlation of fetishes with political positions: https://twitter.com/Aella_Girl/status/1453040463775141892

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1527 on: October 27, 2021, 01:27:25 am »

I have the literal greatest music I have ever encountered available at my finger tips at all times, but what I really needed was your shitty song playing way too while hearing people talk this is great thanks so much

It might be the literal greatest music you have ever encountered, but it does not support the atmosphere of the video, unlike the music that's on the video.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: October 27, 2021, 05:40:16 am »

I have the literal greatest music I have ever encountered available at my finger tips at all times, but what I really needed was your shitty song playing way too while hearing people talk this is great thanks so much

It might be the literal greatest music you have ever encountered, but it does not support the atmosphere of the video, unlike the music that's on the video.

No this is BS. A movie has an atmosphere and specific music tailored for that, and I'm all for film music. Certain videos certainly could be in the same category. This video was showing a bunch of interviews with people explaining things about their hiring process. The music that maximally enhances this atmosphere is utter silence, not an obnoxious rock song that someone just put over there unedited

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: October 27, 2021, 05:40:48 am »

Like theoretically this is true, practically no

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1530 on: October 27, 2021, 12:57:30 pm »

Haven't checked how good the results are yet, here's hoping these people are not all way worse at this than I was.

The first two are quite good! I'm pleasantly surprised.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: October 27, 2021, 01:16:42 pm »

I thought it would be funny to send the 'motivation letter' to my mom, so I did, and she thought it was real. Which I'd say proves that I was right to think it'll be funny.

But also made me think. I'm way too much of a coward to actually send something like this, but maybe I should import 5% of it into my real attempt? Thinking of the line where I point out that these letters test for the wrong thing.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: October 27, 2021, 01:23:14 pm »

If my life were story, I would totally send it like this and it would work. Unfortunately, life is not a story and the person screening it is allowed to not have the appropriate sense of humor.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: October 27, 2021, 05:36:38 pm »

But also made me think. I'm way too much of a coward to actually send something like this, but maybe I should import 5% of it into my real attempt? Thinking of the line where I point out that these letters test for the wrong thing.
I feel like that in particular is like telling the person reading it "you're doing your job wrong", which might not garner the best reactions.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: October 27, 2021, 05:40:00 pm »

ow good point

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: October 27, 2021, 06:01:02 pm »

Haven't checked how good the results are yet, here's hoping these people are not all way worse at this than I was.

The first two are quite good! I'm pleasantly surprised.

And the third one did extremely poorly. Oh well. That's certainly interesting.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1536 on: October 28, 2021, 01:21:45 am »

No this is BS. A movie has an atmosphere and specific music tailored for that, and I'm all for film music. Certain videos certainly could be in the same category. This video was showing a bunch of interviews with people explaining things about their hiring process. The music that maximally enhances this atmosphere is utter silence, not an obnoxious rock song that someone just put over there unedited

I'm pretty sure the music that maximally enhances this atmosphere is not utter silence. It's common for people to be dumb and put their favorite music there instead of the most appropriate music, but the fact that people are putting music on their videos is not dumb in and of itself and they probably do it to copy videos they have seen where the music was appropriate.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: October 28, 2021, 01:25:41 pm »

I question the claim that the person put their favorite song there. I think it's more likely that they had a vague idea in their head of wanting to convey a 'fun' or 'casual' vibe or whatever and did that.

Otherwise I mostly grant your point, but it doesn't have a lot of bearing on the particular instance

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: October 28, 2021, 01:27:08 pm »

The remaining three people have one day to complete their task. Not doing this would be extremely unprofessional, given that I've told them exactly what they had to do and in what time frame before getting their final confirmation.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: October 28, 2021, 01:39:08 pm »

I mean basically it comes down to

- music to enhance atmosphere is definitely a real thing
- However, most people suck at most things, so it's mostly done poorly, and in this case doing it poorly <<<<<<<< not doing it at all

It's almost surprising that I'm very rarely annoyed at music in movies. I guess professionals really know what they're doing in this case.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: October 28, 2021, 05:55:26 pm »

The move from a structuralist account in which capital is understood to structure social relations in relatively homologous ways to a view of hegemony in which power relations are subject to repetition, convergence, and rearticulation brought the question of temporality into the thinking of structure, and marked a shift from a form of Althusserian theory that takes structural totalities as theoretical objects to one in which the insights into the contingent possibility of structure inaugurate a renewed conception of hegemony as bound up with the contingent sites and strategies of the rearticulation of power.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1541 on: October 29, 2021, 04:17:51 am »

It's almost surprising that I'm very rarely annoyed at music in movies. I guess professionals really know what they're doing in this case.

Well, mostly yes, but working with a composer is also much easier for a director than having to find pre-existing music that fits the scene. Although some directors who are perhaps just starting out and doing some of their first indie projects still make the mistake of treating the composer as though they were just an infinite library of pre-existing music, and for example give the composer descriptions of tracks they want instead of just giving the scenes to score, or move the tracks around after the composer has sent them a time-synced score.

t. composer who mostly gets hired for these types of indie projects

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1542 on: October 29, 2021, 04:54:04 am »

The move from a structuralist account in which capital is understood to structure social relations in relatively homologous ways to a view of hegemony in which power relations are subject to repetition, convergence, and rearticulation brought the question of temporality into the thinking of structure, and marked a shift from a form of Althusserian theory that takes structural totalities as theoretical objects to one in which the insights into the contingent possibility of structure inaugurate a renewed conception of hegemony as bound up with the contingent sites and strategies of the rearticulation of power.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: October 29, 2021, 11:58:22 am »

Too bad I can't upvote that post, because that was really funny

(You can thank [Judith Butler](https://muse.jhu.edu/article/9446))

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: October 29, 2021, 01:32:22 pm »

Finally launched the goddamn user study that I've been struggling with for about two weeks. Here's hoping that it doesn't go terribly wrong somehow. I'm paying about 400$ in compensation to do this.

It did go terribly wrong after all, but in a way that was hard to spot.

Well, terribly wrong as in there was a programming bug that skrewed with the results. It probably only screwed with them a little, but it means the numbers are wrong and I can't use them.

This was a massive failure on my part. I noticed something was weird right before I kicked off the study, but I was under time pressure and wanted to get it done soon so I rationalized it away. Investigating that weird thing would have led me to the bug. I know because I investigated it right and it led me to the bug.

"noticing confusion" as it is generally called is a rationalist virtue, and I thought I had gotten a lot better at that. Actually I still think I did -- I remember that I did, in fact, notice the weird thing and that my brain told me t hat it could be a bug. I think I would have investigated if I had had more time. Certainly, while working on the main program, there have been many instances like this, and I think I did quite well.

So the failure isn't really in the noticing part, it's in the 'ignore it anyway because the would be very annoying to search for a bug right now' part. A different kind of failure, but no less bad.

Anyway, I hereby award myself minus 80 points.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1545 on: October 29, 2021, 01:37:50 pm »

Moving forward, this is kind of nice, though. All six people did finish their part on time, and it was a mixture of people who did well and people who did very poorly. Now I can just ask the people who did well if they're up for doing it again. Also there was something else I wanted to change; I can do that now.

Basically I'm retroactively rebranding the study as a pilot study and can run the real study next.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: October 30, 2021, 07:13:27 am »

It's funny that I now procrastinate on writing the application by doing work for school.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: October 30, 2021, 08:53:52 am »

They actually want the letter to be two pages long. I do respect that; this  makes it way harder to be generic. Talking for about 3/4 of a page, minus introduction and stuff, is almost exhausted by going through the obvious things; you have only a little space to be original. But now you really have to actually say things.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: October 31, 2021, 07:03:20 am »

Hosting my coded on a private website

some code is python code that generates HTML code. Now I'm writing this python code that generates HTML in HTML (because it's a website). Which of course throws errors because the HTML compiler recognizes HTML structure in the HTML code that is supposed to just be a string in python code, but I found an easy fix

The funny thing is that I didn't try to make anything more complicated than it needed to be, this was a totally genuine occurence

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: October 31, 2021, 10:19:11 am »

trying to come up with a reason to put into the letter why I want to work with that program in particular but I can't do it. There's not even a list of publications online

guess I'll just say that they seem like an excellent choice and I already know some of the professors
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 273  All

Page created in 1.803 seconds with 19 queries.