Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 273  All

Author Topic: The Necro Wars  (Read 346225 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
Re: The Necro Wars
« Reply #1500 on: October 23, 2021, 06:32:53 pm »

Now I just have to research whether other people who have classified these characters would agree with me. I'm probably not the best at differentiating Deontology and Virtue ethics.

Can't find a classification. How disappointing.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: October 23, 2021, 06:50:33 pm »

Someone  reading this tells me whether I'm correct about Ned and Brienne. (I know I'm right about Varys.)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: October 24, 2021, 12:41:08 am »

A young boy enters a barber shop and the barber whispers to his customer, “This is the dumbest kid in the world. Watch while I prove it to you.”

The barber puts a dollar bill in one hand and two quarters in the other, then calls the boy over and asks, “Which do you want, son?”

The boy takes the quarters and leaves.

“What did I tell you?” said the barber. “That kid never learns!”

You have ten seconds to get it

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
    • View Profile
« Reply #1503 on: October 24, 2021, 04:45:39 am »

A young boy enters a barber shop and the barber whispers to his customer, “This is the dumbest kid in the world. Watch while I prove it to you.”

The barber puts a dollar bill in one hand and two quarters in the other, then calls the boy over and asks, “Which do you want, son?”

oh wow, this is a joke from my childhood as well
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: October 24, 2021, 04:55:32 am »

Obviously the leaves are worth more than 50 cents.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: October 24, 2021, 06:09:48 am »

Obviously the leaves are worth more than 50 cents.

You've found an improvement over the intended solution

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1506 on: October 24, 2021, 06:16:30 pm »

God Ethereal journeys is good. I love music so much.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: October 25, 2021, 04:40:33 pm »

Finally launched the goddamn user study that I've been struggling with for about two weeks. Here's hoping that it doesn't go terribly wrong somehow. I'm paying about 400$ in compensation to do this.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: October 25, 2021, 04:43:21 pm »

I should now say something about how I will be mad if I don't get a phd position after putting so many hours into a proper paper, but actually if I visualize the possibility, my mind reacts with relative equanimity.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1509 on: October 25, 2021, 04:54:07 pm »

I've heard people say that getting invited into the AI Alignment forum is harder than getting a paper published in a prestigious journal. For me, even assuming my paper does get published, that will have been harder. But it's mostly because, even though I've gotten way better at it, I still don't like having to adjust to a complex formal system like modern academia. I do think the intellectual work I've done for the alignment forum is more valuable and was also 'harder' in some objective sense.

The time that I was working on the programming part of the paper was more fulfilling and subjectively easier, even though I've worked extremely long hours. It's just so much easier for me to have one large well-understood task like 'write a program that does this thing' that I can just come back to day after day than something messy like figuring out how to run a study or how to get the formalities around a paper right, where I repeatedly have to figure out what the next step even is.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1510 on: October 25, 2021, 04:58:07 pm »

But really, academia is altogether not that bad (in the AI context, anyway). As far as formalities go, most of it makes sense, and doing it all for the second time should be much easier than it was the first time. I could certainly image it being way worse. And of course, other areas like medicine or social science *are* much worse.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: October 25, 2021, 06:00:27 pm »

so much depends
upon

a red wheel
barrow

glazed with rain
water

beside the white
chickens

I've used this poem a lot in html class because the formatting/word ratio is great. But on a poetry side, I don't see the appeal. Does anyone else?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1512 on: October 26, 2021, 10:03:56 am »

What cancer has invaded peoples minds to make them think they have to put background music into every fucking video even if it's about a completely serious intellectual topic and not entertainment

Another thing that I forgot on my top 10 most annoying things in the world list

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: October 26, 2021, 10:06:48 am »

Like I'm watching a FAQ about phd applications right now and it plays obnoxious rock music. I'd love to have a dead serious conversation about doing this

even if you think the average person doesn't have the attention span to listen for 4 minutes without hearing music, surely you would want to filter out these people anyway. what kind of message is this sending? what is the upside

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1514 on: October 26, 2021, 10:11:36 am »

I have the literal greatest music I have ever encountered available at my finger tips at all times, but what I really needed was your shitty song playing way too while hearing people talk this is great thanks so much

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1515 on: October 26, 2021, 10:50:07 am »

Time for an update

The ten most annoying things in the world (v2)

10. offensive ggs
9. Websites demanding special characters in passwords
8. bureaucracy
7. having to beg high status people for things
6. dropping the article when translating movie titles / disregarding the article of movies/albums/books when sorting items
5. background music in videos that shouldn't have music
4. people saying Elon Musk is a bad guy, especially if they pretend to care about climate change
3. people making no sense when talking about consciousness
2. people not changing their minds
1. insects

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: October 26, 2021, 10:53:05 am »

talking to faust has made me more understanding of dislike for Elon musk, hence the drop of one place.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: October 26, 2021, 10:57:11 am »

whenever I post here a lot, it's a sign that I have to work on something not very time insensive but fuzzy and unpleasant, in this case writing a motivation letter. I've done it a bunch of times a couple of months ago, but it's still very difficult, and especially so if it's to a faceless institute rather than a specific professor

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: October 26, 2021, 10:57:49 am »

talking to faust has made me more understanding of dislike for Elon musk, hence the drop of one place.
And here I was thinking people just became significantly more annoying when talking about consciousness.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: October 26, 2021, 11:12:33 am »

To the unknown person who is in charge of screening applications and probably hoping to reject it as quickly as possible to save time,

Doing a PhD or doctorate doesn't sound like it will allow me to use my time optimally, but it's still pretty good and having a PhD or doctorate will increase my status in the academic world dramatically, so I've decided to do this. I still don't really understand the difference between the two, and I'm especially confused now after reading the description on your website (doing a PhD to earn a doctorate??). But this isn't that important. Either one would be good. So it would be nice if you hired me.

I seriously question the correlation between making yourself sound good in a letter and actual skill. Aren't you selecting for something like lack of shame? So I'm not sure what to say here. I also don't know how much the motivation letter actually matters. Anyway I'm really good at doing research, look at my awesome paper. It includes a program that does a real thing and it puts out numbers that are high than those that have existed before, isn't that neat. Also it has lots of code that is probably pretty beautiful and non-stupid compared to what many other produce. And it has a user study. It will totally get published too, this kind of thing just takes months, there was literally no way to get it published before writing this application. So you should thus definitely hire me.

Also while you have no way of verifying this, I'm actually good at working consistently and for long hours on a difficult problem where I can't really ask for help, which I believe is like really important for a PhD and probably the kind of thing you should trying to select for. And I'm really smart. You should definitely hire me.

Kind Regards,

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1520 on: October 26, 2021, 11:18:23 am »

PS: I have no specific reason to want to work at your institute, but I don't buy that most others do because the information you can find about it is incredibly generic, and anyway most people send applications to dozens of places all at once. The real reason I'm applying is that a professor I like told me she only takes PhD students applicants from your institute. It would be awesome if that can work out after all.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1521 on: October 26, 2021, 11:36:25 am »

That is probably a reasonable template in terms of broad structure, except for the PS

MiX

• Navigator
  • Shuffle iT Username: MiX
  • It's me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1522 on: October 26, 2021, 11:52:34 am »

Actually I feel inspired to write The ten most annoying things in the world, preliminary list

10. wounds on my tongue that make eating painful
9. people arguing that politicians who advocate for term limits need to step down early
8. bureaucracy
7. offensive ggs
6. having to beg high status people for things
5. people making no sense when talking about consciousness
4. dropping the article when translating movie titles / disregarding the article of movies/albums/books when sorting items
3. people saying Elon Musk is a bad guy, especially if they pretend to care about climate change (sorry faust)
2. people not changing their minds
1. insects

I'm glad your hatred for offensive ggs has reduced. That's the first step!

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #1523 on: October 26, 2021, 11:58:29 am »

To the unknown person who is in charge of screening applications and probably hoping to reject it as quickly as possible to save time,

Doing a PhD or doctorate doesn't sound like it will allow me to use my time optimally, but it's still pretty good and having a PhD or doctorate will increase my status in the academic world dramatically, so I've decided to do this. I still don't really understand the difference between the two, and I'm especially confused now after reading the description on your website (doing a PhD to earn a doctorate??). But this isn't that important. Either one would be good. So it would be nice if you hired me.

I seriously question the correlation between making yourself sound good in a letter and actual skill. Aren't you selecting for something like lack of shame? So I'm not sure what to say here. I also don't know how much the motivation letter actually matters. Anyway I'm really good at doing research, look at my awesome paper. It includes a program that does a real thing and it puts out numbers that are high than those that have existed before, isn't that neat. Also it has lots of code that is probably pretty beautiful and non-stupid compared to what many other produce. And it has a user study. It will totally get published too, this kind of thing just takes months, there was literally no way to get it published before writing this application. So you should thus definitely hire me.

Also while you have no way of verifying this, I'm actually good at working consistently and for long hours on a difficult problem where I can't really ask for help, which I believe is like really important for a PhD and probably the kind of thing you should trying to select for. And I'm really smart. You should definitely hire me.

Kind Regards,
This reminds me of the flatshare application I sent to rent a room with what are now two of my best friends.

I'm not sure it will succeed but I think it is pretty effective at selecting for a workplace where you would feel comfortable.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1524 on: October 26, 2021, 02:45:52 pm »

Okay the first of 6 people completed his job and it all seems to have worked flawlessly. Well almost, I did realize that it was a bit easier to cheat than anticipated, but well you can cheat in this kind of thing anyway, so no big deal. Still a relief.

Haven't checked how good the results are yet, here's hoping these people are not all way worse at this than I was.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 273  All

Page created in 1.588 seconds with 19 queries.