Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 83  All

Author Topic: M78: Insomnia Mafia- Game Over, Scum Wins!  (Read 179632 times)

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
    • View Profile
Re: M78: Insomnia Mafia- Night 0
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2016, 07:08:07 pm »

vote: yuma

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2016, 07:09:56 pm »

So I think neighborhood claiming right off the bat is probably best?

I don't think so at all

Ok. Cause in a similar game to this Harry potter1 I had the same thought as you and was ultimately proven wrong.

Odds are that mafia already know 2 of the neighborhoods, and possibly 3. And I think we will to an extent want to know who we are lynching so that we can make sure we don't eliminate a power we might want to use tonight, maybe other nights won't matter as much, but today I think it is a factor we should be ant to know about.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2016, 07:11:08 pm »

vote: yuma

Phooey. At least give me a chance to explain before getting your {insert something mildly witty here}

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2016, 07:11:46 pm »

I was not involved in Harry Potter, and am willing to listen, but my first thoughts are not D1.

D2/D3, yes, we will want to. Not D1 though.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2016, 07:12:10 pm »

And if you don't believe me go check out that mafia game. Hosted by EFHW I think M28?

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2016, 07:13:32 pm »

I was not involved in Harry Potter, and am willing to listen, but my first thoughts are not D1.

And I too am willing to listen, which is why I haven't forced the issue by claiming, but I can already tell that the two of us are thinking the same thing but approaching it from different perspectives...

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2016, 07:25:13 pm »

Probably no. And until we have decided a course of action,

Nobody should share anything that happened in their QT.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2016, 07:25:39 pm »

And I too am willing to listen, which is why I haven't forced the issue by claiming, but I can already tell that the two of us are thinking the same thing but approaching it from different perspectives...

I think Harry Potter Mafia played a little bit differently because there was the power to vote in each house?  Different than controlling a PR.

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2016, 07:26:06 pm »

Unless it's their mafia QT, which they should promptly share

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: M78: Insomnia Mafia- Day One
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2016, 07:26:46 pm »

This is the thing, I crunched the number, chances that mafia does not know all neighborhood are roughly 50%. And if that's the case, I think it will be very beneficial to keep it that way.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2016, 07:27:43 pm »

Oh good faust is here to declare ultimatums.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2016, 07:27:53 pm »

Yes we don't want to lynch the wrong people. But that can be taken care of by letting people claim at L-1. No reason to claim everything right away.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2016, 07:28:28 pm »

I confirmed in my neighborhood QT. So did the two other players.

Oops.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2016, 07:29:35 pm »

I had vote: yuma typed, but I will be let myself get worked up over this.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2016, 07:30:10 pm »

"I will not let myself get worked up", that should say.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2016, 07:32:07 pm »

Look, yuma. You're not 100% sure that claiming is the best course of action, right? And on the chance that it's not, that means we don't want to give mafia additional information. Any talk about QTs gives away that information. So unless we have a consensus that we want to share this, we should not. Am I so off base here?

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2016, 07:33:42 pm »

I had vote: yuma typed, but I will be let myself get worked up over this.

good for you!

but can you see my frustration...

I make a casual suggestion and get vote for it.

You make an ultimatum in bold font and automatic agreement.

I concede my suggestion could very well be wrong and your ultimatum could very well be right, but I am honestly really tired of everything that comes out of your mouth being treated like doctrine and other player's being automatically assumed to be jack-assery. I just doesn't make the game very fun to have someone consistently hit you over the head saying, you are an idiot, go back to your cave

But sure, I'll abide your commands and play nice. But allow me to feel frustrated, please...

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2016, 07:35:24 pm »

Look, yuma. You're not 100% sure that claiming is the best course of action, right? And on the chance that it's not, that means we don't want to give mafia additional information. Any talk about QTs gives away that information. So unless we have a consensus that we want to share this, we should not. Am I so off base here?

No. I just want to have a discussion about my ideas. Instead I get votes and condescension. I am not looking for uber amounts of respect. Just a modicum of it.

I have to say that if you had come out with my suggestion people would have been claiming their neighborhoods left and right cause you suggested it... and maybe you wouldn't have suggested it because it actually isn't a good idea, but I think you get where I am going with this...

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 07, 2016, 07:42:59 pm »

So ultimately this is why I think we should neighborhood claim.

Today is probably the one and only day that we will be lynching at random... Not truly random, but from no previous information... so "semi-random."

Other days will have the previous days lynches and any information that is gleaned from night actions/interactions.

As such on those future days we may want to lynch someone who is in a neighborhood that has a power role that we may want to use more than the others. But I think we should still lynch that person regardless of their neighborhood. Because lynching is how we play and win the game as town, not allowing our preferred lynch to be dictated by other conditions.

That said, today is the only day that we don't have those preferences set by previous days. So I think it would be better to full house claim so that we can decide from which neighborhood(s) we want to lynch from the get go (I have ideas as I think others do as well) and ensure that we get to use the powers that we want tonight. Yes, to an extent we can do part of that by allowing for L-1 claims and such... but I have zero confidence in our collective ability to do that. Pessimist am I? Sure, but look around...

In addition, I don't think we will be giving mafia all that much information that is extra. They probably already know two houses. Possibly three (and possibly one) and will likely learn them relatively soon regardless.

But like I said I am not going to force this if people don't want to, but just putting the idea out there to consider...

I guess if people want to vote me for discussing... feel free... but that just feels kinda ridiculous to me...

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 07, 2016, 07:45:40 pm »

or maybe I am just legitimately an idiot. I was in Harry Potter Mafia where I argued against house claiming until people who knew better proved me wrong. So prove me wrong... and I'll go sit down and be quiet like a good little boy.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 07, 2016, 07:59:48 pm »

No. I just want to have a discussion about my ideas. Instead I get votes and condescension. I am not looking for uber amounts of respect. Just a modicum of it.

I have to say that if you had come out with my suggestion people would have been claiming their neighborhoods left and right cause you suggested it... and maybe you wouldn't have suggested it because it actually isn't a good idea, but I think you get where I am going with this...

Sorry. I'm perfectly willing to have a discussion. But I think it is really easy to accidentally leak that info, and so I felt it was a necessary step to first remind everyone to be cautious. I was afraid that had I done all the explaining needed before making that post, some information would already have leaked. I don't want to come across as commanding, but I know some people are not thinking about the setup as much as others and may casually drop that, for instance "I have a town read on that guy because of what happened in our QT" or some such.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 07, 2016, 08:07:29 pm »

So I will get into my reasoning more specifically.

Scum has one top priority neighborhood to kill from: the Doctors. As long as the Doctors can use their power, the mafia cannot get rid of the IC. There is an about 38% a priori chance that scum is not in the Doctor neighborhood. If that's the case and mafia is also not evenly distributed to the other QTs, that's a big upside for us: Scum have to guess who's a Doctor and if they get if wrong, gkrieg will remain alive one more Day.

I understand that you're worried about people not letting others claim at L-1. I am too, to an extent. I kinda hope that as long as we have an IC around, that policy is just a little more enforceable. Like, we could all agree that the hammer should come from gkrieg, and if anyone breaks that rule, they get instalynched the following day. And then we just hope that town does not mess up. And if they mess up, well at least we get to blame someone else for losing the game.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 07, 2016, 08:08:20 pm »

Well I for one think the information leak would be worth the information of tow reads or scum reads based off QT interactions. That to me is an acceptable trade if it means we get a chance for a better lynch.

Hydrad

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hidrad
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2016, 08:08:35 pm »

hihi!

So lets see if I can figure out pros and cons or claiming.

Cons: Scum could just target a strong PR group to kill them all and we lose a good PR. (I'm not really sure what the best PR's and stuff are but I'm sure there are tiers.

We could lynch someone with a strong PR instead of a weak PR if its a 50/50 tossup. (this is a really weak point IMO. I agree with yuma that we really shouldn't use what neighbour hood they are in to influence our lynches)

They know who to kill to disable a group if they need to? (Hmm kinda the same as the first point)

They know where everyone is if they didn't have a good idea before. (but according to faust its a 50/50 so not a huge risk on this one I guess)

Not to many cons I'm thinking of.

Pros.

we can potentially coordinate PRs better maybe?

Town could publically choose who they want to lead the neighbour hood or whatever? to reduce the chance of scum choosing everything in a neighbourhood? (this could be interesting. that way even if scum has 3 people in one neighbourhood they wouldn't be able to use it like they wanted as easily)

Potentially get out of RVS easy?

Can't think of much else right now.

Overall less cons then I thought and more pros maybe? I dunno I'd be down for claiming if others agreed.

PPE2
For anyone else, such a statement would be a scum tell.  For Hydrad, it's simply a tell that you're reading something from Hydrad.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 07, 2016, 08:11:04 pm »

I concede my suggestion could very well be wrong and your ultimatum could very well be right, but I am honestly really tired of everything that comes out of your mouth being treated like doctrine and other player's being automatically assumed to be jack-assery. I just doesn't make the game very fun to have someone consistently hit you over the head saying, you are an idiot, go back to your cave

And, as an aside, that is not what I want either. People should absolutely go out and challenge me. That happens too little, and it's how I win my games as scum (which is nice), because it seems people just think of me as some kind of authority. Well, I'm not, and some people would probably get better at playing mafia if they started to disagree with me more.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 83  All

Page created in 2.247 seconds with 19 queries.