Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fun with Pirate Ship  (Read 1334 times)

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5161
    • View Profile
Fun with Pirate Ship
« on: March 05, 2016, 07:51:13 am »
+2

Code: [Select]
Chapel, Lookout, Market Square, Masterpiece, Alchemist, Feast, Pirate Ship, Treasure Map, Graverobber, Soothsayer
Log

The game includes shelters, which is huge here because Necropolis makes for a much more interesting game. As you can see from the log, my opponent went basic big money using Chapel/Market Square for load of Gold and Soothsayer for even more Gold. I tried to break him by playing 2 Pirate ship per turn. Since my opponent often has Market Square in hand, my Pirate Ships are turned into a hand-size attack sometimes. The game left me with some questions:

- could my opponent have countered me effectively by an early big Masterpiece overpay?
- was I correct to cash in on one of the later turns, getting 7 Gold for my Market Squares, or should I have continued building up my Pirate Ships?
- What's the best strategy here anyway? Is it just money? Or closer to what I did? I could also see some Graverobber/Alchemist engine working out.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

terminalCopper

• Explorer
  • Respect: +758
    • View Profile
Re: Fun with Pirate Ship
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 11:42:17 am »
+1

I am pretty sure that the best attempt is to chapel down, get Alchemists and free golds via market square. Pirate Ship is weak against this. Soothsayer is great if opponent skips alchemists. Build until you have 16.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
Re: Fun with Pirate Ship
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 08:53:52 pm »

Fascinating board. I could see some awesome Graverobber things going on here, though there isn't the Actions needed and it's slowwwwwwwwww compared to the Chapel/MS/Alchemist Gold orgy party. Playing two Pirate Ships a turn is cute fun, but I don't see it working unless the opponent takes an eternity to build up. Wow, John loses two Golds a turn? He doesn't care, he can get back like 6 a turn if he wants, with all the buys to buy fodder for trashing and extras for accidental Potion trashings. I think TerminalCopper is right here.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 02:53:24 pm by Seprix »
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.533 seconds with 21 queries.