Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57  All

Author Topic: M77: Scout Mafia - Game Over! Town wins!  (Read 132145 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
Re: M77: Scout Mafia - Game Over! Town wins!
« Reply #1350 on: March 17, 2016, 06:13:29 pm »

*that you're wrong

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: March 17, 2016, 06:14:09 pm »

We knew there was no ub cuz our strongman was one shot so MMM was impossible
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: March 17, 2016, 06:22:08 pm »

Yeah, it was safe to fakeclaim UB, but I think we're arguing if it was safe for scum to fakeclaim masons if ss and chairs were scum.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: March 17, 2016, 06:22:56 pm »

well given that many people here reject maths to different degrees I can't claim that you're right. Still, it is clearly not 'safe'.
I guess we're just arguing the semantics of "safe". I agree with you it's a very risky play.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: March 17, 2016, 06:23:38 pm »

Wait... wait. waitwaitwaitwait. No. What we're discussing right now doesn't make sense. Whether or not there is an UB depends on the Masons.

So here is the deal. If there is no UB, that confirms the masons, because a single M roll is the only way there is no UB. So, in your scenario where there are no masons and scum wants to fakeclaim them, there is always an UB. In a scenario where there is an M and scum fakeclaims masons, you have two claimed mason teams.

So it always subtracts 3 T's, meaning that scum can only fakeclaim if there are 5 or 6 real Ts around.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: March 17, 2016, 06:25:41 pm »

As seen in this game: there were masons, scum fakeclaimed UB - same probabilities - I immediately called RR scum despite having had a town read on him.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: March 17, 2016, 06:26:04 pm »

At no point in this debate did I get the impression that silver is actually considering being wrong.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1357 on: March 17, 2016, 06:30:35 pm »

The other important point is that there is no reason to lynch one of the masons before at LyLo. Literally zero- I said this a million times in the game thread, and it's 100% true. So even if town assumes masons are lying, you still have a shot at lynching one player, and if he flips scum, you're fine.

It is 100% false and it doesn't become true no matter how many times you repeat it without addressing my arguments that actually show why it is false.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: March 17, 2016, 06:33:33 pm »

The other important point is that there is no reason to lynch one of the masons before at LyLo. Literally zero- I said this a million times in the game thread, and it's 100% true. So even if town assumes masons are lying, you still have a shot at lynching one player, and if he flips scum, you're fine.

It is 100% false and it doesn't become true no matter how many times you repeat it without addressing my arguments that actually show why it is false.
Can you link those arguments?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1359 on: March 17, 2016, 06:41:13 pm »

Can you link those arguments?

Sure.

http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=14803.msg577444#msg577444
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=14803.msg577463#msg577463
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=14803.msg578052#msg578052
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=14803.msg578066#msg578066
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: March 17, 2016, 06:49:12 pm »

well given that many people here reject maths to different degrees I can't claim that you're right. Still, it is clearly not 'safe'.

This is another example of your implicitly condescending tone.  No one here is 'rejecting maths".  Someone here (you) are attempting to draw invalid conclusions from some tangentially relevant arithmetic.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: March 17, 2016, 06:56:24 pm »

At no point in this debate did I get the impression that silver is actually considering being wrong.

Well I already admitted to being wrong in the manner debate. The other debate; I laid things out in more detail.

Can scum fakeclaim Masons safely?

To simplify, we can assume scum always has full information over the setup. That only benefits them.

Now, different cases:

Case 1: There has been 1 M rolled.

This means there is no Universal Backup and 2 Masons. In a massclaim, there are 2 claimed mason teams. There is no setup with 2 mason teams and no UB, therefore one of the teams must be lying

Case 2: There have been 3 Ms rolled.

This means there is a Universal Backup and 2 Masons. In a massclaim, there are 2 claimed Mason Teams. The only setup that allows for 2 Mason teams is MMMMMM. If any other PR has claimed, you know that someone must be lying. If not, you either play MMMTTT or MMMMMM. Odds that it is MMMMMM = 8/1000 < 1%

Case 3: There have been more than 3 Ms rolled.

In a massclaim, this creates an impossible setup, because the fakeclaim requires 3 Ms and there are only 6.

Case 4: There's been 2 or 0 M's rolled.

Here we have a UB and no real masons. In a massclaim, the setup that town is presented with has exactly 3 fewer Ts than the real Setup.

So if the real Setup has

0 or 1 or 2 Ts -> impossible
3 Ts -> Two setups presented are {the3PRs}MMM vs {same3PRs}TTT. Odds for the first are again 8/1000
4 Ts -> Two setups presented are {the2PRs}MMMT vs {same2PRs}TTTT. Odds for the first one are 32/1000 = 3,2%
5+ Ts -> a much higher number

Conclusion:

Scum can only fakeclaim masons safely in a setup with 5 or 6 Ts. In other setups, it is either guaranteed or extremely likely that one claimed PR is lying.

... okay?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: March 17, 2016, 06:57:59 pm »

This is another example of your implicitly condescending tone.  No one here is 'rejecting maths".  Someone here (you) are attempting to draw invalid conclusions from some tangentially relevant arithmetic.

I'm sorry, I've come across numerous examples of people rejecting maths and its implications in mafia.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: March 17, 2016, 07:06:22 pm »

We already knew all this long ago when I said that Mafia knows whether or not they can safely claim. 

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: March 17, 2016, 07:08:21 pm »

The calculations involved here, like every other time, are highly irrelevant, because they take into account none of the other information available.  It's, basically, ignoring thousands of posts of information and pretending the given game state only depends on two or three posts.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1365 on: March 17, 2016, 07:10:11 pm »

And really can we stop calling this math every time it comes up?  Because it isn't.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: March 17, 2016, 07:10:32 pm »

We already knew all this long ago when I said that Mafia knows whether or not they can safely claim.

So do you agree with what I said? One thing that means is that scum could not fakeclaim safely in the game that we just played.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: March 17, 2016, 07:20:45 pm »

The calculations involved here, like every other time, are highly irrelevant, because they take into account none of the other information available.  It's, basically, ignoring thousands of posts of information and pretending the given game state only depends on two or three posts.

See: this is what I mean when I say players are rejecting maths. I didn't say they do it for no reason. Obviously they think they have a reason. But they are rejecting it, so why are you calling me out for saying it? I also reject things. I won't call you out if you say that I reject religion. Your quote above is you rejecting my maths.

Anyway. The reason why this all works despite ignoring all the other stuff you talk about is that all the other stuff does is amount to reads. Reads only change accuracy by a few percent from what is statistically random.

So let's say the statistically random is 50% and you have a strong read on someone. Let's say that the chance for your read to be wrong is only 1 in 5. That is a super accurate read. If town had those reads, we would win almost every game. But let's say that you have it.

Now let's say that the read favors the player who is being discriminated by the setup. Now you have a 1/5 = 20% chance for your read to be inaccurate, and on the other side a 3% chance for the setup to have rolled the unlikely way. And you know one of those is true. The odds that the setup ended up rolling the inaccurate way is 3%/20% = 15%.

This is how it works. This is why it works. Denying that is rejecting maths. And you do not even have this level of accuracy in normal reads.

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: March 17, 2016, 07:28:30 pm »

So do you agree with what I said? One thing that means is that scum could not fakeclaim safely in the game that we just played.
Look, I don't think any of us actually care if it was "safe" or not, just if it's possible. This is because Mafia is a psychology game not a math game.

Also, not everyone can follow complicated math that well (including me). I keep reading your math posts but it seems like you keep using variables that don't matter. Like why include the cases with 0,1,2 T? Of course scum can't fakeclaim masons there. Why include 5 or 6 Ts? You claimed day 3 when everyone knew of the B and V rolls. Like I read it and am concerned that you're pulling the wool over my eyes somehow.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: March 17, 2016, 07:49:17 pm »

I am not rejecting math.  Math is about understanding the essence of something.  What you are doing is not math.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: March 17, 2016, 07:53:32 pm »

Look, I don't think any of us actually care if it was "safe" or not, just if it's possible. This is because Mafia is a psychology game not a math game.

Also, not everyone can follow complicated math that well (including me). I keep reading your math posts but it seems like you keep using variables that don't matter. Like why include the cases with 0,1,2 T? Of course scum can't fakeclaim masons there. Why include 5 or 6 Ts? You claimed day 3 when everyone knew of the B and V rolls. Like I read it and am concerned that you're pulling the wool over my eyes somehow.

well I wanted to be thorough, accounting for all cases. And I'm not even that good at maths. I make mistakes all the time; SP and Egork are both much better than I am. But I at least understand the principle.

You or anyone else doesn't have to follow it, but when WW accuses the pan of being bad and then faust accuses me having confirmation bias, well what am I supposed to do? I can either just take it or provide evidence for the contrary. I believe in evidence.

Also, the latest point of debate with WW is a recurring theme that has been relevant a lot of times in the past. Someone makes a math argument, someone else says that doesn't work because you're ignoring this and that, I've heard it before. You can weigh reads and setup probabilities against each other, that's why setup probabilities that are so clear should be treated identically to proofs. 97% should almost always be treated as 100% in this context. I guarantee you that it would lead to better results if everyone did it.

I am not rejecting math.  Math is about understanding the essence of something.  What you are doing is not math.
believe what you want then

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: March 17, 2016, 08:10:12 pm »

You kept accusing me of this.... Except... I was taking into consideration those posts, as were others. And then applying the math to it. I don't know why you felt I wasn't? Maybe because I wasn't agreeing with you so thereby I must not have been taking into consideration the math?

I don't know. That really isn't fair.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: March 18, 2016, 03:09:18 am »

I don't know, or particularly care, if the "math" is math, or even right.

If there is a 3% chance that something occurred, and I decide as scum to try to convince everyone that it happened, that's a valid, if reckless plan.

If I'm town in the same scenario, does it make me more likely scum because it only happens 3% of the time?  Nope.  When I'm town, I'm town.  And yet, regardless of reads and play, ss's argument would be to lynch me as a fake claimant.

And if I fake claim town as scum (higher probability of rolling town than anything else) you don't automatically buy that just because of math.

I think that's the point "against math."
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1373 on: March 18, 2016, 03:32:55 am »

If I'm town in the same scenario, does it make me more likely scum because it only happens 3% of the time?  Nope.  When I'm town, I'm town.  And yet, regardless of reads and play, ss's argument would be to lynch me as a fake claimant.

The point is that the expected number of correct lynches when you lynch you in that situation is 0.97. That's like 2-4 times the expected number of correct lynches when lynching someone else in that situation. 3% of the time, it ends up being a bad idea, but simply because it is a good idea 97% of the time, it's worth doing every time unless there is an extremely good reason to believe otherwise.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: March 18, 2016, 03:44:43 am »

The point is that the expected number of correct lynches when you lynch you in that situation is 0.97. That's like 2-4 times the expected number of correct lynches when lynching someone else in that situation. 3% of the time, it ends up being a bad idea, but simply because it is a good idea 97% of the time, it's worth doing every time unless there is an extremely good reason to believe otherwise.

So could you just figure out the percentages for every player in a given game and then lynch by number?
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57  All

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 15 queries.