Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Recover  (Read 6397 times)

beri

• Bishop
  • Respect: +55
    • View Profile
Recover
« on: February 15, 2016, 08:34:24 am »

Recover (Action-Duration) $0
At the beginning of your next turn: draw until you have 5 cards in hand, +2 cards.
————
When you buy this, play it.
This card becomes unbuyable and ungainable until the end of your turn as soon as you have gained a card or got $1 or more.

Means you can only get this card if it is nearly the only thing you do on your turn. Is wording ok?
Does it sound too good? Perhaps it could be toned down to +1 card.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
Re: Recover
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 08:55:13 am »
+1

Recover (Action-Duration) $0
At the beginning of your next turn: draw until you have 5 cards in hand, +2 cards.
————
When you buy this, play it.
This card becomes unbuyable and ungainable until the end of your turn as soon as you have gained a card or got $1 or more.

Means you can only get this card if it is nearly the only thing you do on your turn. Is wording ok?
Does it sound too good? Perhaps it could be toned down to +1 card.
You probably have to say "You may not gain a Recover if you ....".
I think you're best served by an Event-with-related-nonSupply-pile here:

Pain - 0$ Event
If this is your first buy this turn, gain a Recover and play it, then end your Buy phase.

beri

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 12:33:22 pm »

This sounds good, but why do you need to make it an event?
Pain - 0$ Event
If this is your first buy this turn, gain a Recover and play it, then end your Buy phase.
Can't you just go with:

Recover - 0$ Action-Duration
————
You can't buy or gain a Recover if you have gained or trashed a card this turn.
When you gain this, play it, then go straight to your Clean-up phase.

?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 12:34:27 pm by beri »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 12:37:14 pm »

Is the +2 cards also next turn?  If so, it may as well be "draw up to 7".  If not, you should move it to the start.

beri

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 01:17:01 pm »
+1

+2 cards is only at the start of your next turn.

It would be written in the same format as "At the beginning of…", not in vanilla format.

Or I could add "then +2 cards".

I didn’t put "draw up to 7 cards" so that it can stack (another Recover, Throne Room, etc.).
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 01:18:07 pm by beri »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 01:31:25 pm »

Ah, fair enough.  I didn't consider stacking multiples.

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 01:47:06 pm »

Why not make it simply an Event instead of a card or make it a return-to-the-supply one-shot to make tracking easier than it would be in the case of an Event?

beri

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 02:20:18 pm »

Why not make it simply an Event instead of a card or make it a return-to-the-supply one-shot to make tracking easier than it would be in the case of an Event?
Because you can play it multiple times in a game! When you buy it, you play it for free, but then you put it in your discard and it will cost you an action the next times you want to play it.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5349
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 09:59:32 pm »

Suggestion for wording:

Recover, Action - Duration, $0
At the start of your next turn, draw until you have 5 cards in hand, then +2 Cards.
-----
You can not gain this if you gained another card this turn.
-----
When you gain this, play it and end your turn.

Sadly, this wording also doesn't avoid the second line, but at least it's mostly old mechanics. The only difference would be that Grand Market forbids buying, not gaining, but it's basically an automatic Trader reveal. Oh, and you can buy it after gaining something else, but that does nothing.

Also, i think it's a bit weird that you try to make sure this card allows for practically nothing else on your turn, but, on the other hand, intentionally made the wording more complex to ensure it stacks. I'd probably go with simply "up to 7".

Edit: Also, i should probably point out how similar this idea is to Expedition. Discard attacks aside, it's also much weaker in my opinion.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 10:05:34 pm by Asper »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 11:35:29 pm »

You could just put those two below-line things together under one line.  They have the same timing.

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 02:29:35 am »

Because you can play it multiple times in a game! When you buy it, you play it for free, but then you put it in your discard and it will cost you an action the next times you want to play it.
It is not that strong so I have a hard time to tell whether this being an Event or this being a card would be stronger.

majiponi

• Jester
  • Respect: +734
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2016, 03:22:49 am »

Suggestion for wording:

Recover, Action - Duration, $0
At the start of your next turn, draw until you have 5 cards in hand, then +2 Cards.
-----
You can not gain this if you gained another card this turn.
-----
When you gain this, play it and end your turn.
What happens when I play Golem, revealing Hermit and Throne Room, choosing Hermit to play at first, and play it to gain Recover?
What happens when I play Stonemason, trashing Estate(Curse and Copper pile is empty)?
What happens when my opponent played Swindler to let me gain Recover?
This text has many problems.

And, I think this card/Event is overpowering. Who wants to buy Expedition when this is in the Kingdom?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 11:36:16 pm by majiponi »

beri

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2016, 07:06:09 am »

I can see the problems this causes. Wording should be "When you BUY this … end your BUY phase".
You may want to buy Expedition over this when you have more than 1 buy left. And you may want to buy this as a one-time help but not want it in your deck.

Recover (Action - Duration) $0
At the start of your next turn: draw until you have 5 cards in hand, then +2 Cards.
-----
You can not gain this if you trashed a card or gained another card this turn.
-----
When this is your first buy in your turn, play it and end your Buy phase.

Another version:
You may trash a card.
At the beginning… then +1 Card
that helps you recover from a bad deck due to heavy attacking.

Actually, my goal is to find a card that goes well with the "cost $0, you can only buy this card when you’ve done nearly nothing on your turn" format. I’m not too attached to its present form, so any other ideas are welcome.

For example, I find Herald to be the perfect card for an overpay ability, since I often want it even when I have too much money.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 06:06:16 am by beri »

majiponi

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2016, 11:45:58 pm »
+1

How about this idea?

Easter
$0 - Event
End this Buy phase.
If you didn't gain a card in this turn, gain Resurrection and play it.

Resurrection
$0* - Action - Duration
At the start of your next turn: draw until you have 7 cards in hand.
(This is not in the Supply.)

beri

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2016, 06:20:39 am »

I liked the fact that it could stack (+2 cards) and could be used only if your turn was plain useless, hence "if you haven’t gained or trashed a card this turn".

I do like the idea of it being an event though, because it does not take up a Kingdom card slot and Recover is more of a way out in hard times rather than a strategy per se.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 06:22:03 am by beri »

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2016, 06:36:31 am »

What is this intended to do if you buy the card from the Black Market deck?
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5349
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2016, 06:48:20 am »
+1

How about this idea?

Easter
$0 - Event
End this Buy phase.
If you didn't gain a card in this turn, gain Resurrection and play it.

Resurrection
$0* - Action - Duration
At the start of your next turn: draw until you have 7 cards in hand.

Cleanest implementation yet. I mean, it's still an Expedition that junks you and has a restriction rather than costing (affordable) $3, but if you (beri) want that, well, this seems the best way to do it to me.

beri

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2016, 08:05:57 am »

Maybe the trash now and draw 1 later is more in the spirit of coping with a crappy deck, what do you guys think?

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2016, 09:27:57 am »

There's kind of already a thing that exists in the niche of "let you do something on that shitty turn when you're not doing anything" -- Alms. Obviously the effect is very different, but I think it's design from a similar point of view, and it's much cleaner of an effect that what you're trying to do here.

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2016, 09:47:43 am »

I agree with Asper, the Event version of this is more or less covered by Expedition.
About the card version, keep in mind that "at the beginning of your next turn: draw up to 5 cards, +2 Cards" is very often, i.e. in the absence of handsize attacks, just +2 Cards at your next turn which isn't all that great. It is probably weaker than Caravan (two Caravans are equivalent to Lost City and Recover).

The only Kingdoms in which your card might be strong are junking-intensive ones which you often have hands that provide less than 3$.

majiponi

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2016, 01:07:06 am »
+1

About the card version, keep in mind that "at the beginning of your next turn: draw up to 5 cards, +2 Cards" is very often, i.e. in the absence of handsize attacks, just +2 Cards at your next turn which isn't all that great. It is probably weaker than Caravan (two Caravans are equivalent to Lost City and Recover).

Well, I disagree. This idea is similar to Tactician (or maybe Haven/Gear). In Dominion, "deviation" is important; earning $4 in each turn is usually weaker than earning $0 in each odd turn and $8 in each even turn. These cards make deviation. Later "+2 cards" is not so weak.

tristan

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2016, 04:03:53 am »

Well, I disagree. This idea is similar to Tactician (or maybe Haven/Gear). In Dominion, "deviation" is important; earning $4 in each turn is usually weaker than earning $0 in each odd turn and $8 in each even turn. These cards make deviation. Later "+2 cards" is not so weak.
I do not disagree that "+2 Cards next turn" is not bad. The problem is that the card does nothing on the turn it is played and I think I just illustrated that it is probably weaker than Carvan (as you need village support). As its next turn effect is most often just equivalent to that of a double Caravan, a Wharf without the extra buy as well as Gear (I guess it is safe to say that most of the times Recover is a tad weaker than Gear) I also think that the card is not novel enough to be interesting.

To be fair, the card is better in the presence of handsize attacks and Reserve and Duration cards that reduce your handsize at the beginning of your turn (Ratcatcher and Amulet).

beri

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2016, 04:43:43 am »

Ok here is a revised version

Charity
$0 - Event
End this Buy phase.
If you did not gain or trash a card in this turn, gain a Resurrection and play it.

Recover
$0* - Action - Duration
Trash up to 2 cards from your hand.

At the beginning of your next turn: draw up to 5 cards, then +1 Card.

So if you buy this with a very junk deck (and a blank turn), it will help you recover on the longer term.
If you did just because you had one bad turn but your deck is not that bad overall, it may be a nuisance when you draw it, since it no longer makes you draw that good on next turn. So don’t overbuy it.

And it gets more different from Gxpedition and gear this way, doesn’t it?

Then it is your first buy in your turn and the first buy in your Buy phase will no longer be.

majiponi

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2016, 01:07:57 am »

Charity
$0 - Event
End this Buy phase.
If you did not gain or trash a card in this turn, gain a Recover and play it.

Recover
$0* - Action - Duration
Trash up to 2 cards from your hand.

At the beginning of your next turn: draw up to 5 cards, then +1 Card.

I'll buy it in turn 1 or 2 even if I have 3 Copper in my hand to trash 2 Estates from my hand. Is it possible? (Ending my Buy phase doesn't mean starting my Cleanup phase.)
Maybe "you lose all Buys" clause is clearer.

Then it is your first buy in your turn and the first buy in your Buy phase will no longer be.
I disagree. You fail to end your buy phase because you are in Action phase. Event version doesn't have this problem.

beri

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2016, 05:30:48 am »

I'll buy it in turn 1 or 2 even if I have 3 Copper in my hand to trash 2 Estates from my hand. Is it possible? (Ending my Buy phase doesn't mean starting my Cleanup phase.)
Maybe "you lose all Buys" clause is clearer.
Yes it is possible.
How can you end your Buy phase and not start your Clean-up phase?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 2.292 seconds with 21 queries.