Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Level 6s pulling 4 provinces in 13 turns  (Read 17367 times)

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
Level 6s pulling 4 provinces in 13 turns
« on: January 17, 2012, 02:47:20 pm »
+2

What is this crap?

The level of play on iso is getting pretty damn good.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
Re: Level 6s pulling 4 provinces in 13 turns
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 02:50:00 pm »
+2

What is this crap?

This is the well-known "rating deflation" phenomenon. It tends to happen when you have a close-to-zero-sum rating system applied to a population whose members are mostly improving quickly.
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

Forge!!!

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +128
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 02:59:03 pm »

It seems that, in order to even know that online dominion exists, and to have an account, you seem to have gotten to a point where you know general strategy. Everyone starts on at least a relatively high level. Rarely will I get the level 2 who buys seven secret chambers for no reason.

ackack

• Explorer
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 03:00:04 pm »
+1

What is this crap?

Post the game log at some point.

A while back I lost to a level 1 in a Horn of Plenty game where I'd say I got legitimately outplayed regarding build order. I was kinda puzzled why this guy was level 1 - he's climbed up to the low teens now - but I think the idea was basically that no matter what was out there he was going to try to build some sort of ornate engine. And every now and then the board rewards that.

I suspect that's the main thing. High level players are likely to do reasonably well on most boards. Some low level players will be uniformly mediocre across boards, but some will find lucky boards that play exactly to their strengths where they can be quite good indeed.

meshuggah42

• Salvager
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 03:14:11 pm »

Another explanation could be that these players play a lot in real life and are intricatley familiar with the game and how to choose the best possible strategy, but somehow didn't know about iso, or simply didn't want to play online for some reason.

ackack

• Explorer
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 03:32:34 pm »

Another explanation could be that these players play a lot in real life and are intricatley familiar with the game and how to choose the best possible strategy, but somehow didn't know about iso, or simply didn't want to play online for some reason.

These people don't stay level 1s; they're just underrated by the system. That's not much of a mystery. There are people with hundreds of games logged on isotropic who are not very good but occasionally bust out crazy games.

painted_cow

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +20
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 05:33:23 pm »

Thats not a new phenomenom. Sometimes when I played level 0 players a while ago I only thought "...man, when is he making a mistake finally???" And sometimes they really tend to do the major things like I would play them (not only on BM). Kinda puzzling, but this just happens sometimes :-)

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 06:13:12 pm »

The level is a lot higher now. It's not just good players with dummy accounts. These forums might even have something to do with it.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 06:22:30 pm »

The level is a lot higher now. It's not just good players with dummy accounts. These forums might even have something to do with it.
Yeah. I've had LOTS of people I don't recognize/haven't heard of wishing me luck in the tournament as I played games against them today...

RisingJaguar

• Minion
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 07:19:24 pm »

Yeah. I've had LOTS of people I don't recognize/haven't heard of wishing me luck in the tournament as I played games against them today...
Ditto that.

^_^_^_^

• Minion
  • Crazy, You Have Been Warned
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 07:41:37 pm »

Ditto that.
Lol. Hi :P I was one of the level 0s playing really well recently. Just climbed up to level 17. Also, thanks for the games WW and RJ. Good luck in the tournament to you both ;)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 10:57:43 pm by ^_^_^_^ »
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Doug Z
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Donald X
The cost to buy me is 5Copper. What's Your Cost?

mangaguy

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 07:50:46 pm »

Lol, I was pretty recently Level 0 too. Maybe in the last few weeks I began reading DS and I'm OK now.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 09:58:00 pm »

Also remember that "Level 0" equates to "Level 25 +- 25."  Someone as good as a level 30 will play their first 100 or so games getting to level 20 (unless they get extremely lucky).  So playing a level 6 might mean you're really playing someone who is 29 +- 23.

The good news is, if you play someone who is 29 +- 23, your ratings change is based on the 29 rather than on the "6."
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Anon79

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +39
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2012, 01:02:11 am »

Also remember that "Level 0" equates to "Level 25 +- 25."  Someone as good as a level 30 will play their first 100 or so games getting to level 20 (unless they get extremely lucky).
It doesn't take that long.

There was another thread on "how long does it take you to reach your level if you had to start anew" and the answer given was that it should be very fast, because that's how the rankings are supposed to work. The empiricist in me decided that I needed to actually try it... check out "half125" on the isotropic leaderboard. There was one bad loss via Ambassador where I really should have done better, but for the most part I think you get to level 20 in far less than 100 games. About 20-30 games should do it.

mrdirt73

• Chancellor
  • Respect: +4
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2012, 08:31:37 am »

That's somewhat where I'm at.  I was stuck at around level 10-15 for the longest time, but have gotten my level up to 20 playing just 2-3 games a night the last week after reading everyone's thoughts and rankings in the rankings thread.

That thread alone has really helped me re-evaluate all the cards.

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2012, 08:46:16 am »

That's somewhat where I'm at.  I was stuck at around level 10-15 for the longest time, but have gotten my level up to 20 playing just 2-3 games a night the last week after reading everyone's thoughts and rankings in the rankings thread.

Hm, rrenaud. So basically it seems this is my fault. ;)
But seriously, this forum really helps a lot, it helped me and will help other players too.
Or, it was a high level player who got a new account.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2012, 09:18:04 am »

(Re-)Evaluating cards is an evolutionary thing.

I know I evaluated cards differently after my first 100 games from when I was starting out. Then again after my first 1000 games. And again after the 2000 game mark.

Ambassador: Wait, it gives no money and doesn't draw anything? What good is this?

I've gotten new found love for Explorer however.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
  • First to 5000 Isotropic wins
  • Respect: +118
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2012, 10:57:30 am »

Watching WW stomp someones Governor deck's face with double Merchant Ship was an eye opener for me.  This site is good for all of us.
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>
<b>IsoDom1 Winner:  shark_bait
IsoDom2 Winner: Rabid
Isodom3 Winner: Fabian</b>
Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalie ar Atanatári, Utúlie'n auré!

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2012, 11:14:15 am »
+1

stomp, really?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2012, 11:38:49 am »

Watching WW pull out a win over Fabian's Governor deck with double Merchant Ship was an eye opener for me.  This site is good for all of us.

FYP
I do think Merch ship was right there, but man, it was close.

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2012, 11:44:27 am »

<a href=http://councilroom.com/game?game_id=game-20120108-190412-7328fea6.html>Stop being modest.</a>  The fact that it was against Fabian only makes it that much more impressive.
Jake <a href=http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201203/17/game-20120317-030206-6456f97c.html>opening: opening: Silver / Jack of All Trades</a>

Fabian

• 2012 Swedish Champion
  • Respect: +542
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2012, 11:47:04 am »
+2

I'm $1 from winning that game on turn 13. I think "man, it was close" is a more accurate description of the game.

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2012, 11:51:11 am »

My apologies, I stand corrected.  Double Merchant winning from second position against an excellent player who opens Governor?  Noteworthy, at the least.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 11:59:39 am by Mean Mr Mustard »

danshep

• Navigator
  • Respect: +15
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2012, 07:38:45 pm »

I'm $1 from winning that game on turn 13. I think "man, it was close" is a more accurate description of the game.

If you bought the province on your turn 13, WW would've won on his turn 13 by buying the last province (4 provinces each, WW up by 3 fairgrounds). WW led by at least a province for the whole game.

Mean Mr Mustard

• Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2012, 07:41:24 pm »

He could have Governed one Gold into a Province and bought the last one, for a narrow win.  I completely missed this until it was pointed out.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.