Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Storage solutions with Empires  (Read 18872 times)

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
Storage solutions with Empires
« on: February 01, 2016, 12:52:29 pm »
+2

I've thought for a long time about this, and I suspect many other people will have a similar issue. With Empires being released, there will no longer be enough room for all Dominion expansions' kingdom cards and a set of supply cards to play with in one box.

Here's my current storage solution

These boxes are now being sold as Dominion storage solutions, but I use Fantasy Flight sleeves (and I'm not willing to give them up). There just isn't enough room in this box for all the cards. There are plenty of solutions out there that involve multiple boxes, or can accommodate unsleeved cards. Hopefully this thread can help brainstorm some solutions.

Binders:

I've seen some really big binders out there, and they're plenty big enough, strong enough, and elegant enough to hold everything all at once. Sure, getting cards out of these things takes longer than it would with just one big box, but I'd be happy if I could get this to work. The main problem comes in when you require any kind of sleeves.

You can transport these binders and not worry about your cards falling all over the place because the stacks of cards fit tightly enough into the pages to prevent this. With sleeves, not only can I not find pages that will hold a stack of 10 or 12 sleeved cards, but even if I could, I'm not sure they would hold the cards tightly enough for them to stay put while not damaging the sleeves. This might be a dealbreaker but maybe there's something out there that I don't know about yet.

One big box:

The Hobby Lobby Box has been the standard for this up until now. With some reinforcement and an extra box to cannibalize parts from, I was able to put something together that was strong enough and looked good. I even got to wood-burn a design on the front and it really grabs a lot of attention. No lie: people have sat down with me to learn and play Dominion because of that box.

But it's not big enough anymore, and I haven't seen any sort of case out there that's appropriate for this. I'm not the handiest person in the world, so I don't think I could make something like this from scratch that was strong enough and that looked good. A bigger box would be just fine but I just don't know where to start. I haven't given up, and I'll post anything interesting here, but that's about where I'm at right now.

So if there are any ideas, maybe we can brainstorm here together. Oh yeah, and I'd really like it if this thread didn't get de-railed. Silence would be vastly superior to that in my opinion, so I'll be pressing the "report to moderator" button on every post that deviates from this topic. Please, let's not waste theory's time here. <3
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Eran of Arcadia

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +513
    • View Profile
Re: Storage solutions with Empires
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 12:55:57 pm »
+1

I just finished transferring all of my cards into the Hobby Lobby box. There isn't a lot of room to spare . . . but I keep all 3 sets of base cards in there and could easily move some of those out to make space. If I got rid of the randomizers as well I could end up fitting 3 more expansions in the box, with the current setup (which includes all mats and tokens, and Mayday sleeves.)

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 01:00:51 pm »

What kind of dividers do you use? I had to make my own out of PlexiGlas™ since I need to store my cards vertically, they are about as thin as I really think is feasible.

Also I've had some issues with Mayday sleeves -- like sleeves from two different packs being sized differently enough that I can tell the difference easily. Like, I just ordered these sleeves for my latest IRL tournament and now I want to throw away all of my Mayday sleeves and just unsleeved for those games (I inherited a set with several expansions that was sleeved with Maydays).

I'd be happy if there was enough room to store all kingdom cards and just one set of base cards in the box, I already carry around a cardboard box for extra base cards and such.

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +558
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 01:17:09 pm »
+1

I'll post pictures of my storage solution at some point.
It will fit everything including empires (unsleeved) I think as long as I remove the extra set of intrigue Base cards. Just posting here to remind me to actually post this.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

Eran of Arcadia

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 01:46:26 pm »
+1

What kind of dividers do you use? I had to make my own out of PlexiGlas™ since I need to store my cards vertically, they are about as thin as I really think is feasible.

I made some out of cardboard. While my wife was watching Making a Murderer in the next room, so in my mind Dominion will forever be associated with Steve Avery.

Have a link.

Also I've had some issues with Mayday sleeves -- like sleeves from two different packs being sized differently enough that I can tell the difference easily. Like, I just ordered these sleeves for my latest IRL tournament and now I want to throw away all of my Mayday sleeves and just unsleeved for those games (I inherited a set with several expansions that was sleeved with Maydays).

I've noticed that there's a size difference, but it's only apparent if I'm really looking and if all the cards are perfectly aligned, neither of which condition comes up in games for me.

I'd be happy if there was enough room to store all kingdom cards and just one set of base cards in the box, I already carry around a cardboard box for extra base cards and such.

My ideal would be getting everything (including the instructions) into one container, but that probably won't happen. If I take out one set of base cards I still have 2 which is enough for 6 player games (or 2 4-player games.)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2016, 01:47:46 pm by Eran of Arcadia »

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2016, 01:49:17 pm »

I made some out of cardboard. While my wife was watching Making a Murderer in the next room, so in my mind Dominion will forever be associated with Steve Avery.

Are they rigid? Or are they like thick cardstock? If they aren't rigid, do you have any issues with them? Are they pre-made, like you printed them out?

Maybe I can squeeze in another expansion if I re-do my dividers yet again :-\

jamfamsam

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: jamfamsam
  • Respect: +1214
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2016, 01:56:43 pm »
+1

My dividers are on heavy card stock printed from Sumpfork's tab generator

http://domtabs.sandflea.org/

Laminating them (which I haven't done yet) would make them more durable and not take up as much space as the plexiglass, I think.

I will probably have room in my Hobby Lobby box for Empires but my cards aren't sleeved.
"There is no extra charge for awesomeness..."

Eran of Arcadia

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2016, 02:00:07 pm »
+1

Are they rigid? Or are they like thick cardstock? If they aren't rigid, do you have any issues with them? Are they pre-made, like you printed them out?

Nothing so fancy. I just cut up a cardboard box. The measurements are very crude so there are gaps everywhere but they get the job done. I'm sure someone who knows what they are doing could do a better job.

Hockey Mask

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +184
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2016, 02:21:18 pm »

I have not used the Hobby Lobby box but I think two of these are the answer. At least then I will have some stress-free room-to-grow.
-The Compulsive Completist

Nyarpy

• Chancellor
  • Shuffle iT Username: Nyarpy
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2016, 02:39:34 pm »

I have the Hobby Lobby box with the dividers from Spielgeek. They're a little pricey, but saved a ton of work making them myself.

nana-king

• Swindler
  • Respect: +51
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2016, 02:46:23 pm »

We recently switched to the binder which is great (we don't sleeve our cards).  Empires will likely fit without an issue but if/when another expansion comes out we are going to need to rethink everything.

I don't think it would be too difficult to make a box that is a little bigger than the Hobby Lobby box.  It would be nice if you could put some kind of storage for mats, tokens, et. al. in the lid.  Little pockets or something.  And when I say it wouldn't be too difficult I mean I will probably ask my friend to enjoys wood working to do it for me.  But two Hobby Lobby boxes just seem like too much.  Then again we were lugging around all 10 boxes up until this fall :/

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2016, 02:52:54 pm »
+1

Such is the nature of my obsession that I'm not really concerned about money when it comes to this.

I'll take a closer look at these dividers when I get a chance -- the last time I looked for printable dividers I didn't find any at all that were vertical, which is super-lame.

Nana-king, if you end up contacting this friend, let me know, maybe? I'll be your best friend <3

...I wonder what it's like to have friends...

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2016, 02:59:29 pm »
+1

I'll take a closer look at these dividers when I get a chance -- the last time I looked for printable dividers I didn't find any at all that were vertical, which is super-lame.

There are plenty of vertical dividers out there - I'll upload a picture of my setup tonight and include a link for what I used.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2016, 03:08:23 pm »
+1

I will say this. I used to use the binders, and while a decent storage solution, they can sometimes mess up sleeves. I now use a wooden case and will likely just buy a second wooden case.

ObtusePunubiris

• Bishop
  • Respect: +187
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2016, 04:12:22 pm »
+1

I could probably make Empires fit in my Hobby Lobby box by removing my third set of base cards and/or the mats, but 1) I'd rather keep everything together and 2) if there's ever another expansion after Empires there would just be no way.  So I've started looking into a briefcase solution.  I envision something about 5 x 2 inches larger with custom cut foam inside.  That would give me one more row than the Hobby Lobby box and each row would be a bit longer.

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2016, 04:21:02 pm »
+1

I'm hoping empires will fit in my hobby lobby box, but I also use Mayday sleeves and the plastic bag method. So that's not much help. I'd love to make custom boxes, but alas, living in an apartment doesn't allow me the woodworking tools I'd like to have. Maybe I could design one and make it when I go home sometime

jamfamsam

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: jamfamsam
  • Respect: +1214
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2016, 05:19:10 pm »
+1

The Sumpfork dividers print horizontal or vertical. Mine are vertical.
"There is no extra charge for awesomeness..."

ravi

• Bishop
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2016, 05:44:42 am »
+1

Everything for me fits in the Big Box: http://imgur.com/a/dp4BI I think that Empires should still fit as well. I simply used regular paper for the dividers. They are a bit flimsy but still do the trick. I think if you used a bit tougher paper it would still work. I am very careful when carrying that thing around though, not sure how long it will hold up but it has lasted since September fairy well including lugging it to a game night at someone else's place.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2016, 10:12:36 am »

It's not very glamorous, but I have everything except Adventures in a white 5000-card box. Each set of 10 is in a card sleeve. I have foam blocks separating the expansions from each other.

Adventures is not in the box because I need more sleeves. I also do not sleeve my cards individually.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1757
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2016, 11:09:55 am »

I previously had kept each set of 10 (or more) in 3x4 inch ziplock bags and everything fit into a single large expansion Dominion Box.

I did the Hobby Lobby box last year after getting Adventures, because things no longer fit. I also got the thicker Mayday Sleeves at that time because my base cards were starting to show quite a bit of wear.  I wrapped each Kingdom card in a strip of cardstock to make a rudimentary envelope, and labeled the top of them so I could pack the cards in the box really tightly. That allowed everything to fit with a bit of extra room for all the tokens in the last row.  Another 300 card expansion will definitely overflow the box with the thicker sleeves, so at this point I think my plan is to come up with a separate solution for all the basic cards.  Removing those will certainly allow Empires to fit.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2016, 04:40:03 pm »

Sorry for the delay, I didn't get a chance to look at these until recently.

Have a link.

This looks pretty spiffy -- it looks like the kingdom cards are packed in pretty tightly on the right side there, yeah? Do you have any trouble getting them out to play with them or closing the box? Or are they just not really all that tight?

My dividers are on heavy card stock printed from Sumpfork's tab generator

http://domtabs.sandflea.org/

This actually looks pretty nice. I will have to do some experimentation on these -- last I saw this generator it didn't support vertical dividers so this solution is something new to me that might work well. I may be able to get away with experimenting with different types of paper to see what's the thinnest thing I like, then trying to calculate how much space that will save me. While I'm reluctant to change my dividers again, it's mostly because I spent a ton of time on the ones I currently have, which isn't actually a good reason. The PlexiGlas isn't perfect and having opaque, tabbed, double-sided dividers might be a good thing.

I'll upload a picture of my setup tonight and include a link for what I used.

I'm still waiting with baited breath :P I think I've seen what you use IRL but I don't really remember the dividers at all.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2016, 05:28:49 pm »
+1

I'm pretty sure it's "bated breath"
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2016, 05:40:26 pm »
+4

I'm pretty sure it's "bated breath"

I'm pretty sure 'baited breath' is grammatically correct. For instance, the breath could be part of some daring conniving plot. I'm less sure that's what Adam intended, but I'm even less sure what the point of the tangent is, so oh well.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2016, 06:16:36 pm »

I'd really like it if this thread didn't get de-railed. Silence would be vastly superior to that in my opinion, so I'll be pressing the "report to moderator" button on every post that deviates from this topic. Please, let's not waste theory's time here. <3

Please, let's not get into this.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2016, 06:44:27 pm »
+2

I'd really like it if this thread didn't get de-railed. Silence would be vastly superior to that in my opinion, so I'll be pressing the "report to moderator" button on every post that deviates from this topic. Please, let's not waste theory's time here. <3

Please, let's not get into this.

Oh, sorry, I didn't actually read your initial wall of text.  Just skimmed.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 21 queries.