Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Inn- goons?  (Read 2001 times)

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
Inn- goons?
« on: January 14, 2016, 10:37:55 pm »

https://dominion-game-logs.s3.amazonaws.com/game_logs/20160115/log.0.1452828418328.txt
I avoided tunnel because it is hard to use gold with not many cards in your hand. I was planning on goons BM is with inns and monuments thrown in. Because I had so many goons I was able to play three a turn and top deck all may other goons. That was a lot of vp chips for a non-Engine goons game :)

theright555J

• Moneylender
  • Dragged into engines kicking and screaming!
  • Respect: +171
    • View Profile
Re: Inn- goons?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 08:52:42 am »

Nice game. This is interesting to me because HT reaction gives nice defense against Goons and gives a larger handsize which in turn makes Inn easier to use. Gold can be clunky, as you mention. I'm not totally sure how much better your opening was than his, since trashing the Hovel is a good move and tunnel is better junk to have, however your opening makes it much more likely to hit 6 quickly. I do think your opponent took too many tunnels throughout the game. Over-tunneling is a mistake I still make that the better players demonstrate well--if you want tunnel you want 1 copy and a whole bunch of cycling.
Wondering what my name refers to?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cribbage_statistics

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1731
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 12:13:42 pm »
+1

I wonder if using University to grab all the Armories would be a thing here, as Armory is your only draw.  There is no thinning, which almost always makes Armory moot.  But if you could grab them uncontested, and never really buy green and just play Goons for VP chips, I wonder if that could win against an opponent that is greening and maybe playing a Goons every other turn or so.

Other than that, I don't see much going on here because, in addition to being Goons'ed, all cards except Armory decrease your hand size.  I like your opening as it gives you a greater chance of spiking $6 early, as you did.  But if I wanted to go the University/Armory route, I might open Herbalist-Potion instead.  Not sure.

EDIT: I actually don't even know if playing multiple Goons per turn will do you all that much good though, because there are no cheap components that you want a lot of.  So I would think as long as you can reliably play 1 Goons per turn, and have mostly Golds (from Tunnel) and few Silvers, that would be just as good as playing 3 Goons per turn.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 12:18:10 pm by Dingan »

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 12:23:11 pm »

I wonder if using University to grab all the Armories would be a thing here, as Armory is your only draw.  There is no thinning, which almost always makes Armory moot.  But if you could grab them uncontested, and never really buy green and just play Goons for VP chips, I wonder if that could win against an opponent that is greening and maybe playing a Goons every other turn or so.

Other than that, I don't see much going on here because, in addition to being Goons'ed, all cards except Armory decrease your hand size.  I like your opening as it gives you a greater chance of spiking $6 early, as you did.  But if I wanted to go the University/Armory route, I might open Herbalist-Potion instead.  Not sure.

EDIT: I actually don't even know if playing multiple Goons per turn will do you all that much good though, because there are no cheap components that you want a lot of.  So I would think as long as you can reliably play 1 Goons per turn, and have mostly Golds (from Tunnel) and few Silvers, that would be just as good as playing 3 Goons per turn.

Are you confusing Armory and Ironmonger? Armory is the Workshop variant that gains to the top of your deck.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Dingan

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Dingan
  • Respect: +1731
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 12:36:55 pm »

Are you confusing Armory and Ironmonger? Armory is the Workshop variant that gains to the top of your deck.

Ooohh hahaha whoops, no I was thinking of Advisor.  Dang those A-cards, I always mix them up.  Well, nevermind what I said... *walks away*

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +353
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 06:12:36 am »

Here you won because oponent didnt play well, as said before one does need only two tunnels to generate gold and ht/tunnel with trashing hovel looks like better opening.

However main problem is that he didnt get enough goons, as that kills your combo as with three card hand you couldn't play double goons and buy inns and getting horse traders looks bit unreliable so best you cold do is gold,gold,goons hand and buy province+copper.

Then you missed graverobber that allows you gaining provinces in endgame.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.605 seconds with 21 queries.