Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Author Topic: AdrianHealey's Fan Cards  (Read 21526 times)

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
AdrianHealey's Fan Cards
« on: January 15, 2016, 12:18:41 pm »
+2

Hi everyone,

My friends have exams now (and I do not, I graduated) and I want to prepare a (mini) expansion based on nicknames and other relevant things that are deer to us. (That explains the weird names.) I am no expert and I am not looking for the most interesting or daring expansions ever (all hail Seasons in that regard). But I do want them to be at least somewhat solid, so that when we play 'with ourselves' (quiet, your dirty mind) that the cards at least have some possibility of being bought. (Because the pictures used will all be private pictures related to our personal life, I left these out for the purpose of feedback.)

I'll present every couple of days 3 cards. Feel free to give feedback on feasibility, strength, etc.

Even if it's just a: 'I see nothing wrong with this card, that would help as well!

I am not too worried when a certain card is outrageous with one or two 'regular' dominion cards. (It's not meant as being a widely sold expansion after all.)

Can anyone share a duration card template, a treasure template (think counterfeit) and an action/victory card templat (think nobles)? That would be much appreciated.

Approved cards so far

img width=200

Comments:
Creative Artist has 12 cards in supply.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 09:35:30 am by AdrianHealey »

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
Re: Cards for friends
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2016, 12:23:25 pm »

You really should share cards in text form. That makes replies and commentary easier to follow.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 12:26:48 pm »

Man, last time I did that I read the exact opposite! But I can add text form. :)

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 12:30:14 pm »

If anything, you can edit much easier from text. Especially for those of us who may be using mobile devices.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 12:31:40 pm »

I added text and kept the images. :)

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +364
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 12:43:00 pm »
+1

So, here are a few formatting changes just to make the cards consistent with the way actual Dominion cards are designed.

Houdini / $2+
(Action / Attack)
+1 Action
Return a card from your hand to the supply. Gain a differently named card with the same cost.
---
When you buy this, you may overpay for it. For every $3 you overpaid, each other player gains a curse.

Philosopher / $3
(Action)
+1 Action
Reveal the top 5 cards of your deck. The player to your left chooses three of them. Discard those cards. Put the other cards in your hand.

Viking / $2
(Action / Reaction)
+1 Action
Reveal your hand and discard all treasures revealed. If you discarded at least one treasure: +$3.
--
When another player plays an attack card, you may discard this. If you do, gain a silver. I'm not sure whether this is accurate to your intention?

So yeah, philosopher is similar to Advisor, but if you don't care about that, it looks fine on first glance. It's quite a bit worse, but the $3 cost does matter because you want a lot of them, just like with Advisor.

Houdini seems to be a variant of Ill-gotten Gains - it also seems okay. It's nice that the way of getting curses also comes with a way to get rid of them.

Viking is weird - how would it change your deck-building? It's pretty weak too - compared to poor house, it gives less money and makes your silver useless. You probably also don't want to discard it from your hand to get a silver - compare the reaction to Beggar, which is similar, to get yourself banked on power level.

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2016, 12:43:50 pm »
+1

I really enjoy the blackness of your cards, looks way cooler than any image.

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2016, 12:44:03 pm »
+1

khem..

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2016, 12:49:51 pm »

So, here are a few formatting changes just to make the cards consistent with the way actual Dominion cards are designed.

Houdini / $2+
(Action / Attack)
+1 Action
Return a card from your hand to the supply. Gain a differently named card with the same cost.
---
When you buy this, you may overpay for it. For every $3 you overpaid, each other player gains a curse.

Philosopher / $3
(Action)
+1 Action
Reveal the top 5 cards of your deck. The player to your left chooses three of them. Discard those cards. Put the other cards in your hand.

Viking / $2
(Action / Reaction)
+1 Action
Reveal your hand and discard all treasures revealed. If you discarded at least one treasure: +$3.
--
When another player plays an attack card, you may discard this. If you do, gain a silver. I'm not sure whether this is accurate to your intention?

So yeah, philosopher is similar to Advisor, but if you don't care about that, it looks fine on first glance. It's quite a bit worse, but the $3 cost does matter because you want a lot of them, just like with Advisor.

Houdini seems to be a variant of Ill-gotten Gains - it also seems okay. It's nice that the way of getting curses also comes with a way to get rid of them.

Viking is weird - how would it change your deck-building? It's pretty weak too - compared to poor house, it gives less money and makes your silver useless. You probably also don't want to discard it from your hand to get a silver - compare the reaction to Beggar, which is similar, to get yourself banked on power level.

Thanks for this.

I'm thinking of increasing Houdini's overpay to 2, because at 3 it seems like it wouldn't be used too much.

Viking, I'd sort of thought, could be useful when (1) you are under attack (militia, witch), (2) useful in decks with little reliance on treasures. If you have a suggestion to increase the viability of the card, I am all ears. Maybe change it to +$4? I'd also hoped that the +1 action would increase it chances of being combined. Say you have estate, 2 coppers, smithy and a viking. Use viking, than use smithy. It's definitely meant as an early booster, that later would mainly be used to give silvers. Maybe I overestimated it's possibilities. 

Can you imagine situations (with a reasonable chance of happening) where you'd buy philosopher?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 12:54:01 pm by AdrianHealey »

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2016, 12:54:29 pm »
+1

There's two key things I noticed with Houdini.

1. This is the first overpay by more than $1

2. I wouldn't reduce the cost for that intended effect. If you go to $2 overpay, $6 will give two Curses to each player.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2016, 12:58:00 pm »

There's two key things I noticed with Houdini.

1. This is the first overpay by more than $1

2. I wouldn't reduce the cost for that intended effect. If you go to $2 overpay, $6 will give two Curses to each player.

I don't think 1 is gamebreaking.
I agree that two is an issue, but bear in mind that when this happens... Houdini is in the game, available to change curses into coppers. Sacrificing 6 to buy a not too useful card (Houdini) should come with some incentive, no?

But I see your point, obv.

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2016, 01:26:53 pm »
+1

Well, it could be quite useful as a pseudo-trasher. It obviously can't get rid of $0 cards but mid and end game it could come in handy.

GeneralRamos

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +104
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2016, 02:03:30 pm »
+1

I have some templates on my home computer. I can send you them later. A couple asthetic notes: the card name and type text is better simulated by the free font Optimus Princeps, which you can easily find and download. The card text is Times New Roman. Using these will make the card look a bit more like a real Dominion card.

Houdini--I like the general idea for the overpay. As for the main part of the card, I wonder if it might be better to have the card trashed rather than returned to the supply.

Biking: you have the discard effect twice on there. I think I see you trying to make a differentiation, but it runs into some confusion. If I might suggest a more "official" wording: "When another player plays an Attack card, you may discard this. If you do, gain a Silver. The top half seems a bit weak, or maybe just a bit more niche. But it also seems like it anti-synergizes with the reaction effect of gaining more silvers. The card's action seems like it favors a deck with few treasures, and coppers at that. It also does not stack very well, despite its +Action. I would suggest reworking the top half to be more useful, or strengthen the bottom significantly. (Maybe: When you discard this other than during clean-up, you may gain a Silver, putting it on top of your deck.)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2016, 02:27:42 pm »
+1

For Philosopher, you could try some variant of Harbinger.  Between you and the player to your left, have one split the drawn cards into 2 piles and the other choose which pile you get to keep.  That follows the theme and effect while being less similar to Advisor.

Xerxes hit the nail on the head comparing Viking to Poor House and Beggar.  It's really weak.  Maybe if it stacked (not requiring the discard to produce coin) or if it did more... With the name, it may be more appropriate to make it an Attack of some sort instead of a reaction.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2016, 07:48:41 pm »

What if I made Viking into a cantrip (+1 card, +1 action) and made the discarding of money optional?
And change the silver into something like tunnel: 'If you discard this at any other time than during the clean up face: you may gain a silver and put it aside. Put the silver in your hand at the beginning of your next turn.'

Would that give it more punch and create some synergy, and it's still a back up that can be used if you happen to draw a bad money hand.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 08:01:44 pm by AdrianHealey »

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2016, 07:50:51 pm »

I have some templates on my home computer. I can send you them later. A couple asthetic notes: the card name and type text is better simulated by the free font Optimus Princeps, which you can easily find and download. The card text is Times New Roman. Using these will make the card look a bit more like a real Dominion card.

Houdini--I like the general idea for the overpay. As for the main part of the card, I wonder if it might be better to have the card trashed rather than returned to the supply.

Thanks! The reason why I choose the 'back on the supply' part is really niche for our friend group. We have a lot of games where we 'feel' it ends too early because we run out of decks. Also: I just like the fact that even if you get rid of your curses (if any), there is still the thread they come back. But it's really niche. I guess it's probably closer to an official card if it was trashing, but for the purpose I am making it, I am making it 'put back in the supply'. Thanks for the feedback!

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2016, 07:54:04 pm »

For Philosopher, you could try some variant of Harbinger.  Between you and the player to your left, have one split the drawn cards into 2 piles and the other choose which pile you get to keep.  That follows the theme and effect while being less similar to Advisor.

I am afraid this will take too much time. (I also have harbinger set aside to print as a fan card at a latter stage.) But it's an interesting idea, for sure. If you have any suggestions that would keep it slightly closer to the original idea (Laboratory/Advisor), that would be great. But I might change it to the harbinger if the consensus is that the current one is just too weak.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2016, 01:44:07 pm »

Feedback so far has been great! Thanks. I am content with Houdini (very much so) and Philosopher (not so much, yet). I'll rework Viking.

Here are three versions of the same card:

The idea is: transform (redudant?) action cards into golds. A chapel you don't need? Get one gold. A sea hag? Get two.

The left is the 'weakest' one, and the right one is the 'strongest' one.
2 questions: should it be a Can trip?
When do you think it would start becoming worth it to buy it? I am fine with the card being relatively more niche.

GeneralRamos

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2016, 03:00:20 pm »
+1

I think in general concept, School Building is fine. Its closest comparison would be Treasure Map, I suppose. Both require getting two cards to collide, but this one has greater flexibility with the trade-off of a weaker return, and doesn't self-trash, so it has greater longevity. If you are going to leave it non-terminal, I think I might skip the top-decking. I'm more favorable to keeping it if you made it a terminal.

Some wording clean-up to conform to official Dominion cards:
You may trash an Action card from your hand that is not School Building. Gain Golds equal to half its cost in $, rounded down[, putting them on top of your deck].

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2016, 03:50:49 pm »

Thanks! What do you think of the 'can't trash school building' requirement?

Also: thanks for the phrasing.

enfynet

• Torturer
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2016, 03:59:18 pm »
+4

You may trash an Action card from your hand that is not School Building. Gain Golds equal to half its cost in $, rounded down[, putting them on top of your deck].
I'm nit-picking a little bit here. Trader says:
Trash a card from your hand. Gain a number of Silvers equal to its cost in coins.

And Rats says:
Trash a card from your hand other than a Rats (or reveal a hand of all Rats).

So let's use that..

You may trash a card from your hand other than a School Building. Gain a number of Golds equal to half its cost in coins, rounded down, putting them on top of your deck.

Obviously with it being an optional trash, you don't need to reveal. Also, "putting them on top of your deck" comes straight from Treasure Map.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2016, 08:19:04 pm »

I think it would be fine for them to trash each other.  It seems like a minor power increase.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2016, 09:01:34 pm »
+1

So non-terminal, trash each other and topdecking. :) Thanks guys!

Pretty straightforward. I like a flexible card, because it opens up more room on the kingdom for other cards. (Although this is potentially one of those cards that will be sold out pretty fast.)

Too strong? Or good enough at 4?

GeneralRamos

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2016, 09:51:31 pm »
+2

As it is, I don't think Creative Artist should be priced more than $3. One can argue that each of the given effects is on their own worth less than $3 (the non-terminal $2 is still strictly worse than silver). I don't think the flexibility is quite enough to warrant its moving from $3 to $4. Note Pawn's ability to choose two makes it in some ways more versatile than this, even if each given choice is less powerful.

GeneralRamos

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2016, 09:54:52 pm »

I'm nit-picking a little bit here. Trader says:
Trash a card from your hand. Gain a number of Silvers equal to its cost in coins.

And Rats says:
Trash a card from your hand other than a Rats (or reveal a hand of all Rats).

So let's use that..

You may trash a card from your hand other than a School Building. Gain a number of Golds equal to half its cost in coins, rounded down, putting them on top of your deck.

Obviously with it being an optional trash, you don't need to reveal. Also, "putting them on top of your deck" comes straight from Treasure Map.

Good point on the wording. I was extrapolating from the "card that is not a Victory" sort of wording. Forgot about rats.
But don't forget this is supposed to restrict it to Actions cards! So that phrase in the wording should remain.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All

Page created in 1.832 seconds with 20 queries.