Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: You make the card: An F.DS community-created fan card! (Part 16)  (Read 14056 times)

Gubump

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Gubump
  • Respect: +1683
    • View Profile
Re: You make the card: An F.DS community-created fan card! (Part 16)
« Reply #50 on: January 20, 2016, 06:48:48 pm »
+1

Fair enough. Could it be emended to 'This cannot cause you to play more than one Action', like the wording of Mission?

I don't think the wording of Mission works well here.  Mission says "you can't buy cards", which doesn't really conflict with anything.  But what happens when I use this reaction to play Golem?  I dig for 2 action cards... then I can't play them?  Golem requires that I play them, which is actively contradicting the restriction from the reaction.  If we assume that the restriction takes precedence (which is not currently part of Dominion rules), what happens next? Do I put the revealed Action cards back on top of my deck, or discard them?  It's not defined.

The most similar case I can think of with Mission is Black Market, and I'm not sure what happens there.  But Black Market doesn't require that you buy a card, so it's not quite the same.

The wording of Mission that I meant was 'this can't cause you to take more than two consecutive turns'--i.e. playing Outpost or buying Mission on a Mission turn has no effect. Couldn't the wording 'this can't cause you to play more than one Action card' similarly prevent Throne Room, Herald, etc from playing Action cards?

Think about it this way: The reaction causes you to play Throne Room, and since Throne Room is the card that's causing you to play another Action card, it isn't the reaction causing you to play it, and therefore the reaction isn't causing you to play more than one Action card.
All of my fan card mockups are credited to Shard of Honor and his Dominion Card Image Generator (the new fork).
If you're having font issues with the generator, click this link and click on the button to request temporary access to the demo server that loads the font.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10766
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2016, 06:51:46 pm »

Fair enough. Could it be emended to 'This cannot cause you to play more than one Action', like the wording of Mission?

I don't think the wording of Mission works well here.  Mission says "you can't buy cards", which doesn't really conflict with anything.  But what happens when I use this reaction to play Golem?  I dig for 2 action cards... then I can't play them?  Golem requires that I play them, which is actively contradicting the restriction from the reaction.  If we assume that the restriction takes precedence (which is not currently part of Dominion rules), what happens next? Do I put the revealed Action cards back on top of my deck, or discard them?  It's not defined.

The most similar case I can think of with Mission is Black Market, and I'm not sure what happens there.  But Black Market doesn't require that you buy a card, so it's not quite the same.

The wording of Mission that I meant was 'this can't cause you to take more than two consecutive turns'--i.e. playing Outpost or buying Mission on a Mission turn has no effect. Couldn't the wording 'this can't cause you to play more than one Action card' similarly prevent Throne Room, Herald, etc from playing Action cards?

This is a moot point because GendoIkari has already posted the poll, and this effect would probably have been too complex anyway, but I was just clarifying what i meant.

Actually Mission doesn't have that wording; Outpost does. But that's the wording that he was responding to... it doesn't work because there's still a valid question of "what if you use your action-play to play Golem"? Golem now tells you to play 2 actions. Does this prevent that? I would think probably not, because it's not the reaction that's causing you to play more than 1 action, it's Golem.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10766
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 20, 2016, 06:55:46 pm »
+1

If we assume that the restriction takes precedence (which is not currently part of Dominion rules)

Isn't it assumed that something like this is in place though?  Otherwise how do we know whether Moat or Militia gets priority?

Hmmm... that's an interesting example/question, but I still think it's different than 2 effects, one which says "you must do X" and the other which says "you can't do X". With Moat, it specifically calls out the other effect and says to ignore it. It's more like Coppersmith in that it changes the effects of playing another card. This is different than simply having a restriction that says you can't do something.

Though, this does make me realize that you could probably re-word such a restriction so that it would work, though it would be messy: "Until the end of turn, card instructions that tell you to play another card have no effect."
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2016, 10:35:09 pm »
+1

The best solution would be to set it aside, and play it at the start of your turn, like Prince does.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 20 queries.