Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 123  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part III  (Read 653632 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3224
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part III
« Reply #2125 on: December 15, 2016, 11:34:57 am »

Awaclus's country probably couldn't even declare war because some lackey didn't want to do the paperwork involved. Freaking Red Tape.

I mean, the US doesn't really declare war, just sends people everywhere. But this is starting to get too RSP for random stuff

Awaclus is from Finland, not from the US.

Yes, but seprix is from the US. I was going more of a "red tape is restrictive, but not always a bad thing" by comparing to the US. Every country has its own faults.

I was wondering if that's what you meant, but then I thought if you did that sentence would have an 'also' in it :P

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: December 15, 2016, 12:53:28 pm »

I was wondering if that's what you meant, but then I thought if you did that sentence would have an 'also' in it :P

Et too, Brute?
A man has no signature

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: December 15, 2016, 06:07:46 pm »
+5

"More fun than playing Monopoly!"

Though possibly this belongs in the math(s) thread.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: December 15, 2016, 06:20:32 pm »
+4

That reminds me. In my YouTube "Recommended" videos there's one titled something like "What actually happens when you land on Free Parking in Monopoly?" and it goes for eight minutes. Eight. Minutes. I don't plan on watching it but I'm really hoping that it starts with someone saying "Nothing." and then just has eight minutes of muzac.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: December 16, 2016, 07:59:47 am »
+1

That reminds me. In my YouTube "Recommended" videos there's one titled something like "What actually happens when you land on Free Parking in Monopoly?" and it goes for eight minutes. Eight. Minutes. I don't plan on watching it but I'm really hoping that it starts with someone saying "Nothing." and then just has eight minutes of muzac.

That's one reason I almost always ignore videos now. Too many people think they're more clever and interesting than they really are, so they make some six-minute video about a topic that can be handled with only 30 seconds of reading. He could literally just read from cue cards for 30 seconds, and it'd have been a much better use of all of our time than that video.

It doesn't help that many of these videos aren't edited or scripted, so it's just someone saying um and ah a lot punctuated with uncomfortable pauses.

Maybe the eight-minute video about Free Parking starts off with, "nothing," and then categorically describes why the game is made worse by adding even more money to the system.

But I'm sure it could also turn out to be another unscripted, unedited morass of stumbling through words.

Also, I can just read about Free Parking rather than listen to someone talk about it.
A man has no signature

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +576
    • View Profile
« Reply #2130 on: December 16, 2016, 08:12:28 am »

This came up on my Youtube list as well. Not planning on watching it.
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #2131 on: December 16, 2016, 11:52:20 am »
+2

All right, I've sacrificed myself for you guys and watched the video.

While it takes a minute or so to get to "Nothing," the intro says that it's about all the things you're doing wrong.  Then it covers basically all the bad house rules people use (including some I'd never heard of, and wondered what people were thinking), tells you the real rules, etc.  It does discuss the reasoning behind not using house rules--every single one of them prolongs the game or increases the chance of fist-fights.  And of course using the real rules to your advantage can really increase your win chances.

Also, fun line (paraphrasing):  "You can sit in jail, and if you're rich enough, you can just continue to do business as usual, much like in real life."

It doesn't help that many of these videos aren't edited or scripted, so it's just someone saying um and ah a lot punctuated with uncomfortable pauses.

This one was definitely scripted.  I think most of what I watch on YT is scripted--certainly the best informative Tubers out there are working form scripts.  The only one I watch who doesn't is Brady Haran, and in general, because he's talking with actual mathematicians and scientists, they actually get to the point (although Cliff Stoll, for instance, rambles some).
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2132 on: December 16, 2016, 01:36:30 pm »

If you're really good at monopoly, you might reach a 52% winrate against someone who only plays casually! And maybe a 50.5% winrate against someone who's examined the mechanics for 5 minutes.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #2133 on: December 16, 2016, 01:59:53 pm »

If you're really good at monopoly, you might reach a 52% winrate against someone who only plays casually! And maybe a 50.5% winrate against someone who's examined the mechanics for 5 minutes.

But only the real geniuses among us can increase their odds at Candyland.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2134 on: December 16, 2016, 02:07:41 pm »

That highly depends though. If you've mastered the most important skill at Monopoly, which is convincing the other players to let you go first, you can reach a 99.5% win rate against anyone!
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2135 on: December 16, 2016, 02:17:55 pm »
+1

That highly depends though. If you've mastered the most important skill at Monopoly, which is convincing the other players to let you go first, you can reach a 99.5% win rate against anyone!

Then there is the ability to convince someone to give you a monopoly in orange for the low, low price of Boardwalk.
A man has no signature

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2136 on: December 16, 2016, 02:19:21 pm »

All right, I've sacrificed myself for you guys and watched the video.

While it takes a minute or so to get to "Nothing," the intro says that it's about all the things you're doing wrong.  Then it covers basically all the bad house rules people use (including some I'd never heard of, and wondered what people were thinking), tells you the real rules, etc.  It does discuss the reasoning behind not using house rules--every single one of them prolongs the game or increases the chance of fist-fights.  And of course using the real rules to your advantage can really increase your win chances.

Also, fun line (paraphrasing):  "You can sit in jail, and if you're rich enough, you can just continue to do business as usual, much like in real life."

Awesome. I'm going to go watch the video. It sounds interesting.

And I do get a chuckle out of people who insist that you get no money while you're in jail. No, this actually does mirror real life. I would argue that in real life it's not actually a desirable choice, but late in the game, you want to sit in jail for as long as possible.
A man has no signature

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2137 on: December 16, 2016, 02:19:42 pm »

Getting first certainly doesn't get you anywhere near 99,5%.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2138 on: December 16, 2016, 03:19:40 pm »

Getting first certainly doesn't get you anywhere near 99,5%.

How about something like 90-93%?

In all seriousness though, it's not overly amazing to be first (although it is a very significant advantage), but it super sucks to be last if there are more players.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #2139 on: December 16, 2016, 03:25:46 pm »
+2

That highly depends though. If you've mastered the most important skill at Monopoly, which is convincing the other players to let you be the banker, you can reach a 99.5% win rate against anyone!

FTFY
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +576
    • View Profile
« Reply #2140 on: December 16, 2016, 07:39:55 pm »
+2

That highly depends though. If you've mastered the most important skill at Monopoly, which is convincing people to play Dominion instead, you can reach a 99.5% win rate against anyone!

FTFY
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2141 on: December 16, 2016, 11:51:35 pm »

it super sucks to be last if there are more players.

Yeah, that probably isn't a guaranteed death sentence for you, but you're going to have an uphill battle unless the dice are somehow in your favor.

I suppose if I were to play Monopoly, I'd consider a house rule to help out those going later. Perhaps if you do not own any properties when you take your first turn, you are allowed a number of rerolls equal to the number of players that went before you. These rerolls can only be spent to avoid landing on property that's already bought. If your final reroll puts you on one, then you have to accept it. If a roll of doubles puts you on someone's property and you accept the result, you cannot use a reroll on subsequent rolls that turn.

It's still swingy as hell since you could still just land on income tax or a card that screws you over, but you at least have a chance of not getting too screwed by the people before you.

But I'll probably never see that rule implemented. I'm not opposed to playing Monopoly, but when you hang out with board gamers, they usually suggest playing better games.
A man has no signature

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2142 on: December 17, 2016, 03:04:57 am »

That highly depends though. If you've mastered the most important skill at Monopoly, which is convincing people to play Dominion instead, you can reach a 99.5% win rate against anyone!

FTFY

I want to see the guy who has 99,5% winrate in dominion against a casual player.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2143 on: December 17, 2016, 10:51:31 am »
+1

FTFY

I want to see the guy who has 99,5% winrate in dominion against a casual player.

That just means that you have a 99.5% chance of winning Monopoly by playing Dominion instead.

The 0.5% comes from those rare moments when you open a Dominion box and find that some asshole stuffed Monopoly in it instead.
A man has no signature

LaLight

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: LaLight
  • Because I'm a potato
  • Respect: +972
    • View Profile
« Reply #2144 on: December 17, 2016, 11:08:02 am »
+2

FTFY

That just means that you have a 99.5% chance of winning Monopoly by playing Dominion instead.

The 0.5% comes from those rare moments when you open a Dominion box and find that some asshole stuffed Monopoly in it instead.

This is a good 1st of April joke!
Wins: 15, 10
Losses: 11, 5, 1
Draws: 1
MVPs: 4
Mod/Co-mod: 18

I always have a limited access to forum on weekends.

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #2145 on: December 20, 2016, 02:40:02 pm »

i'll let you explain feminism to me/if you'll let me use your hdtv
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: December 20, 2016, 06:34:44 pm »
+3

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: December 20, 2016, 08:24:05 pm »

Wait...

D10-1 is equal to D8

D6+1 is equal to D8

Is a roll of D10-1 as good as a roll of D6+1?
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: December 20, 2016, 08:38:29 pm »

Wait...

D10-1 is equal to D8

D6+1 is equal to D8

yup

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: December 20, 2016, 08:42:48 pm »

Wait...

D10-1 is equal to D8

D6+1 is equal to D8

yup
That's crazy!
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 123  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.