Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 123  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part III  (Read 657694 times)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part III
« Reply #1775 on: September 19, 2016, 02:11:47 pm »

But why don't you donate without illegally downloading all that stuff?

I'm with Awaclus on this. There is virtually no reason to do this. Consuming a piece of media doesn't hurt the developer at all.

And he's also right that it could help them. I'm watching through the Ghibli movies right now, and you've probably seen me express how much I adore Spirited Away at places. I've already gotten one other person to watch a bunch of them, and will probably make others do it too because I don't want them to miss out. At some point someone could pay for them.

But even in the worst case where that never happens and Ghibli doesn't in any way benefit from me, it is still only as bad as it'd be if I hadn't watched any of their movies in the first place. So yeah. Advertisement and stuff.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1776 on: September 19, 2016, 02:15:39 pm »

I was waiting for an answer so I could elaborate with basically what you have here. I don't think a system works if it breaks down upon everyone following it.

"It wouldn't work if everyone did it!" is a non-argument. You can say this about virtually every career choice. If everyone went for the same career choice you did, the world wouldn't work.

The question is would it be good if more people did it, and the answer is an unambiguous yes. If, at some point, this is no longer true, then I'd reassess the situation.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3680
    • View Profile
« Reply #1777 on: September 19, 2016, 02:20:58 pm »

I was waiting for an answer so I could elaborate with basically what you have here. I don't think a system works if it breaks down upon everyone following it.

"It wouldn't work if everyone did it!" is a non-argument. You can say this about virtually every career choice. If everyone went for the same career choice you did, the world wouldn't work.

I'm not sure you're refuting what he is saying. I don't think either of you are talking about the same thing.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1778 on: September 19, 2016, 02:34:20 pm »

I think it does. He said a system doesn't work if it wouldn't work if everyone did it. I said that it makes no difference what would happen if everyone followed it. The system is working. Artists are a bit worse off and much poorer people a bit better with what I'm doing, which is a net positive. That has to be what "work" means in this context.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1779 on: September 19, 2016, 02:35:18 pm »

I think it does. He said a system doesn't work if it wouldn't work if everyone did it. I said that it makes no difference what would happen if everyone followed it. The system is working. Artists are a bit worse off and much poorer people a bit better with what I'm doing, which is a net positive.

What if everyone paid for things instead? How would the system break down then?
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1780 on: September 19, 2016, 02:48:40 pm »

when have I said that that would be a bad thing? ???

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1781 on: September 19, 2016, 02:49:52 pm »

If nobody pays for it, there will be no product.

That's how it would work if all creators did what I'm suggesting they should do (i.e. crowdfunding every project and not doing the project if they don't get paid enough money for it to be worth their time). The way most creators do it now, the creators create the product for free and then if nobody pays for the product (regardless of whether or not they acquired it through other means), they just spent a lot of time and got nothing in return but the product definitely exists.

if everyone is a utilitarian who thinks the way that you do, why does anybody have to pay for anything?

I don't think there exists a utilitarian who thins the way that I do. I'm not a utilitarian, I'm an ethical egoist (which is why I download stuff for free and then don't donate to charities outside of special occasions when I happen to feel like donating money either to a creator I like or a charity I like). People have to pay for certain stuff that has value (like services and physical items) because that stuff is limited and not freely available to everyone.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1782 on: September 19, 2016, 02:56:36 pm »

When you said that a system doesn't work when everyone follows it. See what I mean when I thought that you and eHalcyon were talking past each other? I may be making the same mistake, because that is an obvious refutation. It's way too easy, and cannot be what you are arguing.

If nobody pays for it, there will be no product.

That's how it would work if all creators did what I'm suggesting they should do (i.e. crowdfunding every project and not doing the project if they don't get paid enough money for it to be worth their time). The way most creators do it now, the creators create the product for free and then if nobody pays for the product (regardless of whether or not they acquired it through other means), they just spent a lot of time and got nothing in return but the product definitely exists.

It would be cool to have everything crowdfunded. I wouldn't disagree with that. It couldn't work with everything, but I don't hate crowdfunding as an idea.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1783 on: September 19, 2016, 03:01:51 pm »

When you said that a system doesn't work when everyone follows it.

I think I was talking about my "system." If everyone refused to pay for media, that might be a problem.

Or it might be a good thing, because movies can still fund themselves through theaters and if art gets generally harder to make we'd have less of it and probably more of it would be passion projects. Awaclus' album would still have been made. For anime specifically it'd be worst, because anime makes most of its money through sales. But again, this is a theoretical discussion with no impact on the points I'm making.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1784 on: September 19, 2016, 03:12:45 pm »

It would be cool to have everything crowdfunded. I wouldn't disagree with that. It couldn't work with everything, but I don't hate crowdfunding as an idea.

Why couldn't it work with everything?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3839
    • View Profile
« Reply #1785 on: September 19, 2016, 03:24:41 pm »
+2

You want to keep discussing this here.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: September 19, 2016, 06:24:22 pm »

In the exact scenario described, he is right - if the only two options are illegal download or not acquire at all, it is obviously better for you to download it, and at worst it has no effect on the content creator. At best there is "exposure" which has nonzero value.

The reasonable response here is a reminder that people die of exposure.

And tell their friends about it. By the end of the day, you've gained a bunch of fans for free. That's super useful to a creator.

But unsurprisingly, not as useful as food.  Having a bunch of fans who will then also illegally download your stuff, and no one who pays even the smallest bit, means you starve.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: September 20, 2016, 09:41:55 am »
+1

GOOD MORNING.

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: McGarnacle
  • So, ya like doughnuts, eh?
  • Respect: +641
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: September 20, 2016, 09:48:30 am »

GOOD MORNING.

Now lets act like that brief time the forum was down didn't drive us to the depths of insanity.
This is exactly the kind of deep analysis I come to f.ds for. 

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: September 20, 2016, 09:50:52 am »

GOOD MORNING.

Now lets act like that brief time the forum was down didn't drive us to the depths of insanity.

TELL ME MCGARNACLE, ARE YOU AFRAID?

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: September 20, 2016, 09:56:08 am »

GOOD MORNING.

A little

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

McGarnacle

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: September 20, 2016, 09:57:29 am »

GOOD MORNING.

A little

Looks to me like someone had a rough night.

Forum Mafia Record
Town 1/2 50%
Scum 0/0

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1792 on: September 20, 2016, 11:08:54 am »

But unsurprisingly, not as useful as food.  Having a bunch of fans who will then also illegally download your stuff, and no one who pays even the smallest bit, means you starve.

Only if I work for free.

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1185
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: September 20, 2016, 11:32:05 am »

Probably it's more moral to donate charity and not download the games illegally than it is to donate to charity and download the games illegally. So if you are trying to optimize your morality I guess you can't play games.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: September 20, 2016, 11:37:12 am »
+1

It's probably also more moral to go join a charitable outreach program than to post on this board, so you should all probably go do that.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1795 on: September 20, 2016, 12:25:17 pm »

Probably it's more moral to donate charity and not download the games illegally than it is to donate to charity and download the games illegally. So if you are trying to optimize your morality I guess you can't play games.

How is it moral to not download games?

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3458
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: September 20, 2016, 03:07:12 pm »

How is it moral to not download games?

This isn't what he meant, but one argument would be that games are wasted labor that could be used to do good in other mediums.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: September 20, 2016, 03:24:50 pm »

The spider weaves the web, the trick drains blood, the fly multiplies in defecation.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: September 21, 2016, 08:36:04 pm »
+7

Programming Fail of... well, the worst I've seen in a long time.

Program won't run on my computer.  Back and forth a bit with tech support, log files, etc.

Tech comes back with:  "Oh, I hadn't noticed the first time that your date format isn't normal.  Can you change it to mm/dd/yy?  That should fix the problem"

It seems to have fixed the problem.

What blithering idiot created a program that asks the client for the formatted date, rather than just using the system date?  Like... what the actual fuck??

(I use dd MMM yyyy for my dates, like most scientists do.  One could argue that yyyy-mm-dd is better though.  American date notation sucks giant baboon balls.)
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: September 21, 2016, 09:10:40 pm »

I agree with the last part. my date notation in the forum is YYYY/MM/dd - hh:mm:ss. Also agree with the first part :P
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 123  All

Page created in 1.431 seconds with 22 queries.