Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 123  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part III  (Read 650210 times)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
Re: Random Stuff Part III
« Reply #1650 on: September 10, 2016, 05:15:09 pm »
+1

I mean, what other genre of music gives you the freedom that you get in rap music to be this creative with your rhymes and lyrics?

Pretty much all of them, aside from ones that are defined by lack of vocals or very specific kinds of rhyming. It's true that hip hop usually has remarkably strong rhyming, but there's nothing that prevents other genres of music from having similarly strong rhyming as well, and in various genres of avant-garde music, you'll often find lyrics with creative usage of both rhymes and lack thereof.

Also, lots of rap hate has subtle undertones of racism and classism in it. Really.

That's definitely true and also a pretty big part of the reason why I'm inclined to include raps in my arrangements regardless of the genre and why I choose to wear clothing associated with the hip hop subculture whenever I'm performing any kind of music live, especially if it's solo cello stuff. Although, surely the #1 reason why people dislike rapping and hip hop music has nothing to do with racism or classism and everything to do with laziness and reluctance to learn about any kind of music that you're not already familiar with.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: September 10, 2016, 06:43:30 pm »
+2

...has nothing to do with racism or classism and everything to do with laziness and reluctance to learn about any kind of music that you're not already familiar with.

The thing is, reluctance to learn about unfamiliar things is one of the roots of intolerance and prejudice.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: September 10, 2016, 07:45:28 pm »
+1

...has nothing to do with racism or classism and everything to do with laziness and reluctance to learn about any kind of music that you're not already familiar with.

The thing is, reluctance to learn about unfamiliar things is one of the roots of intolerance and prejudice.

It's probably a prerequisite but not a cause.  You can just not want to learn about something because you don't have the time or curiosity for it.  You just accept that you're missing out on whatever benefit may be there.  Like, I don't know anything about gardening.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: September 10, 2016, 08:42:32 pm »

I mean, what other genre of music gives you the freedom that you get in rap music to be this creative with your rhymes and lyrics?

Prog metal.

Or, really, anywhere. It's like Awaclus said. You just have to not care what others think. Here is an example of lyrics from someone who doesn't give a crap of what others think. That isn't even metal. But it should settle any doubts you might have about whether people can do what they want if they do what they want.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: September 10, 2016, 08:44:39 pm »

Rap is the best lyricism and flow of any music in our current generation. Anyone writing it off because of caricatures of what they think popular rappers sound like or what they think of people who listen to rap, is quite simply missing out on the best music of our time, at least in terms of lyrics and rhythmic production.

Also, lots of rap hate has subtle undertones of racism and classism in it. Really.

Awesome. I'm probably missing out. Can you give an example of some of the best lyrics out there?

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: September 10, 2016, 09:09:59 pm »

Totally agree, bit we probably shouldn't get this thread locked talking about it. Maybe we can make a topic in rsp if people are interested.
I already know J Reggie's favorite rapper  ;)
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #1656 on: September 10, 2016, 10:20:06 pm »

Totally agree, bit we probably shouldn't get this thread locked talking about it. Maybe we can make a topic in rsp if people are interested.
I already know J Reggie's favorite rapper  ;)
Not sure if I get this reference...

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: September 10, 2016, 10:37:57 pm »

I think J Reggie is more into J-Reggae.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_reggae

Yes, it's real.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1658 on: September 11, 2016, 02:01:55 am »

Just because you have a reluctance to learn about unfamiliar music doesn't mean you have a reluctance to learn about unfamiliar people. The vast majority of the population has the former and doesn't have the latter, and usually when people dislike hip hop, they also dislike other genres of music that are more associated with reasonably wealthy white people.

Awesome. I'm probably missing out. Can you give an example of some of the best lyrics out there?

And some of the best sound design to go with it:

Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: September 11, 2016, 11:44:02 am »

Rap is the best lyricism and flow of any music in our current generation. Anyone writing it off because of caricatures of what they think popular rappers sound like or what they think of people who listen to rap, is quite simply missing out on the best music of our time, at least in terms of lyrics and rhythmic production.

I'm not going to do rap justice here, but here's a few. The video linked earlier in the thread is really quite something. Highly recommend it to understand a lot of rap's appeal.

Kanye West ft. Rick Ross, Jay-Z, Nicki Minaj - Monster

The Jay-Z verse kinda sucks here, but other than that this song has excellent production, tons of killer lines from Kanye, and quite possibly the best verse of the 2000s from Nicki Minaj. Highlights include Kanye's punchline "Have you ever had sex with a pharaoh? Put the pussy in a sarcophagus". And then he keeps rhyming things with sarcophagus! What the fuck.

But really, the Minaj verse carries the whole song and album here. Someone you probably didn't take seriously before you heard this song manages to completely switch vocal tones and styles within the middle of a single line, multipl times.

Black Star (Mos Def / Talib Kweli) - Definition

If you're one of those people who's like "I would like rap but I get really hung up on the violent misogynistic messages", congrats, this great song doesn't really have much of that. It's a great example of the kind of technical wordplay and multisyllable rhyming structures that are a highlight of both rappers at their peak. It's a little dated, but it's still a great song that you almost have to listen to several times to pick up all the setups and verses.

I'll do more soon, I'm on my phone and just wanted to post a few favorites.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: September 11, 2016, 02:15:50 pm »

I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: September 11, 2016, 03:06:56 pm »
+1

If we're talking clever lyrics and rhyming schemes, I would submit:

Lyrics (it's kind of hard to hear the words on first listen) with possible minor errors:

http://songmeanings.com/songs/view/3530822107858561396/

I specifically love "sin and illness" in "a crime, crime, crime/ sin and illness is time".  It's almost like an auditory palindrome: the 'sin' at the beginning mirrors the end of "ness" (or 'sen' backwards). 

There is also heavy use of consonance and alliteration, and I think the song breaks up into different consonant blocks: starts with a lot of 'm', 'b', 'l, and "soft" 'n' sounds, also with alliteration of 's'.  Then it moves into a more... harsher? harder? pattern with 's' sounds throughout ('slipped us mickeys', etc.) , with "harder" n sounds.  (Not sure I can explain what I mean by "soft" 'n' and "hard" 'n', but first they work with the more calm 'm' sounds that make them feel softer and then with the second verse ('sin', 'illness', 'neither', 'nor', 'nasty').  Then it goes softer again, with "w" and "r" sounds throughout.  Since the song also has a theme of changing seasons, I think this kind of pattern works on multiple levels.

The simple end-of-line rhyme scheme is standard, I think, but the internal structure is, at least in my opinion, really neat.

Not to mention the actual lyrical content, which contains some metaphors that I think are just hilarious and particularly clever.  Like love is lighter than air, so our only hope is to climb into a blimp of romance.  You know, because blimps rise above air; maybe we can catch our fleeting love with one.  Love which by its very nature slips through our fingers (say, like sand) as time goes on.  So we have to do things to keep it alive (getaway at the beach), but time still fights us, so we need to make big romantic gestures to save it.

Also, fulsome.  What a great word. 

Well, I really like this song so I guess I'm biased, but I feel like everything in it works really well together. 

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #1662 on: September 11, 2016, 04:55:40 pm »

I've completed three trials of the new Ace Attorney (Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Spirit of Justice) and I'm already like 80% confident that (potential spoilers up to that point) 1: The client in the final trial is going to be Rayfa and 2: Her dad is going to be the prime suspect but turn out not to be the one who committed the murder. I dunno who the victim will be yet, Dhurke or Nahyuta probably

Anyway I'm sure I'll find out before too long.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: September 11, 2016, 06:35:48 pm »
+1

I generally am not a fan of rap.

But I do find Bo Burnham to be particularly witty. His math song is pretty cool, though I don't know if that would qualify as rap.

His Words, Words, Words song does, though.

A man has no signature

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: September 12, 2016, 03:03:21 am »

No way, next you'll tell me that Fear of a Black Planet and "Fuck tha Police" are political!
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1665 on: September 12, 2016, 03:05:54 am »
+2

I've completed three trials of the new Ace Attorney (Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Spirit of Justice) and I'm already like 80% confident that (potential spoilers up to that point) 1: The client in the final trial is going to be Rayfa and 2: Her dad is going to be the prime suspect but turn out not to be the one who committed the murder. I dunno who the victim will be yet, Dhurke or Nahyuta probably

Anyway I'm sure I'll find out before too long.

It's Mr. Green, in the Hall, with the Revolver.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #1666 on: September 12, 2016, 03:06:21 am »

Hey, the Major General song has good rhymes!

I've heard people say it's basically rap before rap was made...
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Infthitbox

• Explorer
  • Respect: +440
    • View Profile
« Reply #1667 on: September 12, 2016, 11:28:10 am »

Re: personal music listening equipment

If you can spare $1000, I'd go with the Grado Statement Series, which are the headphones I have. Admittedly, this would also require that your music player and music files are of sufficient quality to shine through.

That being said, you aren't going to get a great experience out of any earbuds, so having ones that work on both sides is pretty good if that's the game you're in.

Re: rap

There is garbage music in every genre, and in fact, it is that garbage you are mostly likely to casually encounter. I don't tend to seek out rap, but I do listen to My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy (the album containing the song Monster that chris mentioned) quite frequently. 

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1668 on: September 12, 2016, 11:58:08 am »

There is garbage music in every genre, and in fact, it is that garbage you are mostly likely to casually encounter.

I think this is the basic thing.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1669 on: September 12, 2016, 12:25:02 pm »

If you can spare $1000, I'd go with the Grado Statement Series, which are the headphones I have.

I'm not familiar with those particular headphones, but generally speaking, getting headphones that cost more than $100 is a massive waste unless you also have a decent headphone amplifier because the built-in headphone amps in computers and such are horrible crap.

Infthitbox

• Explorer
  • Respect: +440
    • View Profile
« Reply #1670 on: September 12, 2016, 12:45:21 pm »

If you can spare $1000, I'd go with the Grado Statement Series, which are the headphones I have.

I'm not familiar with those particular headphones, but generally speaking, getting headphones that cost more than $100 is a massive waste unless you also have a decent headphone amplifier because the built-in headphone amps in computers and such are horrible crap.

These are actually good about that; but yes, when I use my computer (which I typically don't do for music but occasionally do for other media) it is rather lackluster. My media player itself powers them beautifully.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1671 on: September 12, 2016, 01:39:45 pm »

I was in logic class today, and somebody formatted an argument basically like this:

'A ≡ ~A'

I tried not to, but I ended up laughing.
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #1672 on: September 12, 2016, 04:07:48 pm »
+1

I'm now up to case 5, just finished Investigation 1. Wow. 200% unexpected.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Seprix

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1673 on: September 12, 2016, 04:50:26 pm »

Phoenix Wright?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1674 on: September 12, 2016, 05:00:33 pm »
+1

Phoenix Wright?

The third sequel, Phoenix Wleft.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 123  All

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 21 queries.