Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 123  All

Author Topic: Random Stuff Part III  (Read 650387 times)

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff Part III
« Reply #1625 on: September 09, 2016, 11:01:33 pm »
+1

The best type of earbuds are the cheap/free ones. It's not like I use them for anything besides bad rap and YouTube.
have you ever tried good rap? i usually don't listen to it but i've heard that it's pretty good
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

schadd

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: September 09, 2016, 11:02:13 pm »
+3

The best type of earbuds are the cheap/free ones. It's not like I use them for anything besides bad rap and YouTube.
have you ever tried good rap? i usually don't listen to it but i've heard that it's pretty good
excuse me. i know that bad rap tends to get a bad rap, and it's fine if you would rather listen to that
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: September 09, 2016, 11:06:50 pm »

I think 'good rap' might be an oxymoron
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1628 on: September 10, 2016, 01:46:14 am »

Of course there's good rap, just like there's good vibrato, good screaming, good falsetto, etc. Naturally, it takes a lot of practice before you're able to perform any extended vocal technique well, and rap is not an exception, so there's a lot of vocalists who suck at rap, but you can also find lots of vocalists who have practiced their raps enough to sound good.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3188
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: September 10, 2016, 04:38:04 am »

I think 'good rap' might be an oxymoron
try the song 'Stan' by eminem

It's the only good rap song I've ever heard! At least the only good one with a name.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: September 10, 2016, 06:28:05 am »
+1

Where does all the aversion to rap come from? I don't really like the Hip Hop culture either, but rap is so versatile and used in so many genres that I doubt you guys like no rap part at all.
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: September 10, 2016, 09:11:25 am »

I think the reason is that the most in-your-face bad music that I and others have been involuntarily subjected to is either rap, techno, a mixture, or cheap pop. As a result I'm pre-disposed to disliking all those genres. I really cannot stand being forced to listen to music. One reason why I never go to certain places.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1632 on: September 10, 2016, 10:50:59 am »

rap, techno, a mixture, or cheap pop. As a result I'm pre-disposed to disliking all those genres.

Except the first one isn't a genre, it's a vocal technique.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: September 10, 2016, 11:21:25 am »

rap, techno, a mixture, or cheap pop. As a result I'm pre-disposed to disliking all those genres.

Except the first one isn't a genre, it's a vocal technique.

Rap is both a genre and a vocal technique. Not all songs with rap in them fall under the rap genre, and not every song in the rap genre consists entirely of rap.

Hip-hop is generally a preferred, umbrella term, but there are edge cases where songs are definitely rap songs, but are less clearly hip-hop songs.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: September 10, 2016, 12:10:15 pm »

whatevs. hip hop or rap. It's not like I am an expert.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #1635 on: September 10, 2016, 01:24:26 pm »

Where does all the aversion to rap come from? I don't really like the Hip Hop culture either, but rap is so versatile and used in so many genres that I doubt you guys like no rap part at all.

Because it's fucking terrible.  Have you listened to anything in the past 20 years?  At least the fucking terrible shit they play in public places.  There is no sense of rhythm, or even of music.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: September 10, 2016, 01:25:50 pm »
+6

I just bought The Talos Principle on Steam. On sale till monday, but even after only playing a bit over an hour, this game is amazing. If you can spare $10, it's worth it. A puzzle game with great atmospheric and philosophical elements. Highly recommend, especially for people on this forum.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: September 10, 2016, 01:47:10 pm »
+1

It's basically Insane Clown Possee, just in different octaves.

Rap music is not by its nature bad, but the teeny pop shit they play today (oooh, we're so gangsta because we swear and talk about drugs!  Look at me!  Look at me!) is the lowest crap.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1638 on: September 10, 2016, 02:09:08 pm »
+2

Rap is both a genre and a vocal technique. Not all songs with rap in them fall under the rap genre, and not every song in the rap genre consists entirely of rap.

Hip-hop is generally a preferred, umbrella term, but there are edge cases where songs are definitely rap songs, but are less clearly hip-hop songs.

Where exactly are you getting this from?

Because it's fucking terrible.  Have you listened to anything in the past 20 years?  At least the fucking terrible shit they play in public places.  There is no sense of rhythm, or even of music.

That is a characteristic of music that gets played in public places, not a characteristic of hip hop (and certainly not a characteristic of rap).

schadd

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: September 10, 2016, 02:32:18 pm »

I just bought The Talos Principle on Steam. On sale till monday, but even after only playing a bit over an hour, this game is amazing. If you can spare $10, it's worth it. A puzzle game with great atmospheric and philosophical elements. Highly recommend, especially for people on this forum.
that is correct

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #1640 on: September 10, 2016, 03:01:28 pm »
+3

I hate earbuds.  They're uncomfortable and icky.  Give me a good pair of over-the-ear headphones.

No, not Beats, WTF is wrong with you?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Seprix

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3676
    • View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: September 10, 2016, 03:17:07 pm »

Holy cow, the game looks great. I want to get this. I don't play on my computer though. Is it on the PS4?
DM me for ideas on a new article, either here or on Discord (I check Discord way more often)

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: September 10, 2016, 03:22:11 pm »

Holy cow, the game looks great. I want to get this. I don't play on my computer though. Is it on the PS4?

A quick google says it is, but it's probably full price, which was around 45$. It was on sale which is why I bought it. I don't know if it's worth 45$, but I mean, I think it won't be a disappointment no matter the price. I was immersed from the first minute I was playing.

Funny enough, this game does a better job at horror than most horror games, even though that is not the intention. The unknown of the world, and learning what is around you is more scary than a weird monster to me.

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
  • Respect: +1322
    • View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: September 10, 2016, 03:28:02 pm »

In my opinion you don't get better lyricists than in rap music.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: September 10, 2016, 03:44:20 pm »
+5

I mean, what other genre of music gives you the freedom that you get in rap music to be this creative with your rhymes and lyrics? Granted, I think the message that a majority of rappers choose to put in their songs is not ideal, but still.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Chris is me

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Chris is me
  • What do you want me to say?
  • Respect: +3457
    • View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: September 10, 2016, 03:57:55 pm »
+1

Rap is the best lyricism and flow of any music in our current generation. Anyone writing it off because of caricatures of what they think popular rappers sound like or what they think of people who listen to rap, is quite simply missing out on the best music of our time, at least in terms of lyrics and rhythmic production.

Also, lots of rap hate has subtle undertones of racism and classism in it. Really.
Twitch channel: http://www.twitch.tv/chrisisme2791

bug me on discord

pm me if you wanna do stuff for the blog

they/them

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: September 10, 2016, 04:17:57 pm »

It's certainly possible there is good, less commercial stuff.  Generally the music of any genre that you hear played, well, anywhere in public is terrible. 

J Reggie

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: J Reggie
  • Respect: +1487
    • View Profile
    • Jeff Rosenthal Music
« Reply #1647 on: September 10, 2016, 04:25:10 pm »

Also, lots of rap hate has subtle undertones of racism and classism in it. Really.

Totally agree, bit we probably shouldn't get this thread locked talking about it. Maybe we can make a topic in rsp if people are interested.

drsteelhammer

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: drsteelhammer
  • Respect: +1470
    • View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: September 10, 2016, 04:28:23 pm »

Thanks for the link 2.7, that was really interesting. I'd encourage anyone who is somewhat educated to start a new thread about rap music.
Join the Dominion League!

There is no bad shuffle that can not be surmounted by scorn.

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: September 10, 2016, 04:36:30 pm »

Maybe we can make a topic in rsp if people are interested.

I'd encourage anyone who is somewhat educated to start a new thread about rap music.

Random Stuff: the one thread that cannot get derailed.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 123  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 21 queries.