Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Sopio? Anyone heard of it?  (Read 2212 times)

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
  • Respect: +1013
    • View Profile
Sopio? Anyone heard of it?
« on: October 03, 2014, 02:41:31 am »

This thing.

It's sort of a cross between Uno and Fluxx. Turns are draw-play style, every player from the same central deck. There are cards that give positive and negative points (in increments of 50) and effect cards that do other things - playing extra cards, changing people's scores, screwing with other players' hands, etc. Every player has their own points pile to keep score and the goal is to get to a thousand points.

Basically it's a really fun game and it's more complex than it appears... if you're not playing with deck 1 that is. I'd really recommend trying it out.
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

!!CHANGED MY USERNAME ON 2.0!!

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Sopio? Anyone heard of it?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 03:08:18 am »
+1

Seems too chaotic for my tastes. I enjoyed Fluxx in high school but I really dislike it now. This would probably fall in the same area. It also seems like it has a lot of Take That elements, which I'm not fond of. Never liked Munchkin, for example. They're fine games, just not my speed.

What do you like about Scopio? What niche does it fill in your game collection?

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 10:20:21 am »
+3

Well, first of all, I probably shouldn't admit this on the forum, but I'm not that much of a gamer. The only reason I play Dominion is because I used to go to game nights at a local store and it's the one I enjoyed the most even though I'm kinda bad at it (which is what this forum will hopefully fix). So I don't have much of a game collection at all.

BUT, that's part of what I like about Sopio. It kind of fits both worlds because it's got elements for both gamers and non-gamers to enjoy. The lower decks are simple enough that people can easily play them who are only used to stuff like Uno or Gin Rummy, and then they can gradually move up to higher decks. Experienced gamers can dive right into the high decks/expansions and even try to create their own decks focusing on different aspects - effects-only, speed game, instant cards, and rule alterers are just a few "themes" that I can come up with right now. Not to mention that people can create their own cards. So yeah, I like it because it's as simple or as complicated as you want to make it.

Also I like that there's so much humor involved. There are a lot of funny cards and when you get up to decks 5/6/7 basically every card has a visual pun on it. It gives you something to laugh at when you're playing/formulating/etc.

Here's a video that better explains how to play and stuff.

What do you mean by Take That elements? Just curious.
Sure it's just a game. The same way that your best friend in the whole world is "just a friend".

TwitchYouTubeMusic

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2984
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 10:54:32 am »
+6

I'm pretty sure going to game nights makes you a gamer.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 12:58:15 pm »
+1

You play games, you're a gamer. Don't buy into the argument that you need to play certain games or be an expert or all that. You're on a game strategy forum! That's pretty hardcore in itself.

"Take That" means that the game has you directly attacking other players, usually the current leader or just somebody who hurt you first.

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +490
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 11:27:30 pm »

It looks like a game of 1000 Blank White Cards...except somebody else made all the cards.

Elanchana

• Minion
  • Princess of Derpminion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 10:38:03 am »

So I'm reviving this thread because... there's finally a Sopio app on the app store!

It's brand new so unfortunately there are a couple of flaws - the exclusion of all decks except deck one and the lack of a multiplayer server are the most blatant. Oh and it's only on iPhone/iPad right now.

BUT, it's still a way to play Sopio without having to buy the cards! There's a tutorial and achievements and stuff and it's still pretty fun for what it has. I'm hoping that they'll add the higher decks and multiplayer in soon, because that makes the game so much more interesting, but I understand why they haven't yet - some of the cards are kinda convoluted and would be REALLY hard to script. But, I mean, Dominion did it, so Sopio can do it too. Eventually.

I'm currently looking for a way to get my iPhone screen to show up on my computer so I can stream some Sopio games to Twitch. Any ideas?

TwitchYouTubeMusic

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 07:03:22 pm »

So I'm reviving this thread because... there's finally a Sopio app on the app store!

It's brand new so unfortunately there are a couple of flaws - the exclusion of all decks except deck one and the lack of a multiplayer server are the most blatant. Oh and it's only on iPhone/iPad right now.

BUT, it's still a way to play Sopio without having to buy the cards! There's a tutorial and achievements and stuff and it's still pretty fun for what it has. I'm hoping that they'll add the higher decks and multiplayer in soon, because that makes the game so much more interesting, but I understand why they haven't yet - some of the cards are kinda convoluted and would be REALLY hard to script. But, I mean, Dominion did it, so Sopio can do it too. Eventually.

I'm currently looking for a way to get my iPhone screen to show up on my computer so I can stream some Sopio games to Twitch. Any ideas?
I'll revive this thread too! Apparently there is a Sopio app, that's awesome. I learned how to play quite recently and only played like twice, but it was fun.
Thanks Ela!
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 21 queries.