Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Is this the only way to guarantee a province each turn for the rest of the game?  (Read 9091 times)

GOON GARDEN

• Salvager
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
+1

Stash is considered by many to be the weakest $5 card.

However, if you see stash + scavenger, lead with scavenger and silver, or lead with stash if its a 5-2.

Get three stashes ASAP, and additional scavengers if you draw less than 5$.

You need three scavengers and three stashes.

Now here is what you do:

play scavenger, discard deck (this triggers the 3 stashes - top deck them.)

Using scavenger, choose to place the other scavenger on the top deck.

Now your next turn is all set up -- One scavenger and three stash. You may repeat the same move each turn  until the game ends.

You have now created a loop that can be repeated to guarantee to buy a province every time.

Is this the only combo that makes dominion "solved"?  Is there any other combo that guarantees a province each turn?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 07:28:53 am by GOON GARDEN »
This user is banned!

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
+9

Bishop can create decks that buy and trash a Province each turn, but still score points. There are also decks which can reliably buy/gain a Province and set it aside with Native Village or Island.

Also relevant

EDIT: With King's Court/Scheme you can guarantee top-decking so many things that you can easily hit $8 on your turns. There's the Mandarin/Horn tricks as well, for example you have a hand with Copper, Silver, Gold, Stash, Horn; play your treasures so you have $8, play your Horn, gain a Mandarin, top-deck the five treasures, then buy your Province.

EDIT 2:
You need two scavengers and three stashes.

You need either four Stashes or three Scavengers, just in case you draw a hand of two Scavengers and three Stashes, that way you can still top-deck a Scavenger for next turn.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 07:23:55 am by AdamH »
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

GOON GARDEN

• Salvager
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile

Oh yeah, I forgot about the bishop one :) I think I have only 100% pulled that off once though

EDIT:

EDIT 2:
You need two scavengers and three stashes.
You need either four Stashes or three Scavengers, just in case you draw a hand of two Scavengers and three Stashes, that way you can still top-deck a Scavenger for next turn.

Quite right! Thanks for catching that, I didn't consider that because incidentally I always had 3 or more scavenger
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 07:31:26 am by GOON GARDEN »
This user is banned!

Haddock

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Haddock
  • Doc Cod
  • Respect: +559
    • View Profile

I made a King's Court/Scheme/Bishop-based Golden Colony deck IRL once.  Trashed and bought 3 Colonies per turn (can't remember what the source of Buy was).  It would have just carried on getting more ridiculous, but it ran out the Colonies too soon.
The best reason to lynch Haddock is the meltdown we get to witness on the wagon runup. I mean, we should totally wagon him every day just for the lulz.

M Town Wins-Losses (6-2, 75%): 71, 72, 76, 81, 83, 87 - 79, 82.  M Scum Wins-Losses (2-1, 67%): 80, 101 - 70.
RMM Town Wins-Losses (3-1, 75%): 42, 47, 49 - 31.  RMM Scum Wins-Losses (3-3, 50%): 33, 37, 43 - 29, 32, 35.
Modded: M75, M84, RMM38.     Mislynched (M-RMM): None - 42.     Correctly lynched (M-RMM): 101 - 33, 33, 35.       MVPs: RMM37, M87

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
+4

Your deck is Oasis/Oasis/Native Village/Poor House/Poor House/Province. No matter which five of the six cards you draw, you can play oasis, discard province, play native village setting aside the province, play both poor houses, and buy a new province, indefinitely.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile

With a really thin engine it might be impossible to dud, with island or native village. Double tactician helps with that too.

Or something as simple as scheme-scrying pool with NV/island.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 07:34:32 am by liopoil »

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile

Bishop + Fortress is infinite points as long as the game doesn't end.

4 Bishops + 4 Fortresses is 12 VP per turn.
Use 3 Fortresses to draw the 4th one and get 4 Actions and just trash the 4th Fortress 4 times with the Bishops.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
+2

There are many ways. The slightly relevant ones are Scavenger/Stash, Scavenger/King's Court, King's Court/Scheme and the Bishop golden decks.

With three or more cards, there are a ton of different golden decks you can build, but there is no point in memorizing any of them because you might easily play thousands, even tens of thousands of games without ever playing a kingdom with those three specific cards in it. My favorite is Graverobber/Inn/Procession/Feast because I actually did that in a full random game once.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

aku_chi

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: aku chi
  • Respect: +1436
    • View Profile

The Counting House + Travelling Fair combo can guarantee Province, Colony, or better each turn as long as there are Counting Houses left in the supply.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile

There are many ways. The slightly relevant ones are Scavenger/Stash, Scavenger/King's Court, King's Court/Scheme and the Bishop golden decks.

With three or more cards, there are a ton of different golden decks you can build, but there is no point in memorizing any of them because you might easily play thousands, even tens of thousands of games without ever playing a kingdom with those three specific cards in it. My favorite is Graverobber/Inn/Procession/Feast because I actually did that in a full random game once.

I still don't get the Graverobber/Inn/Procession/Feast thing. Can someone explain it to me?

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos

With three or more cards, there are a ton of different golden decks you can build

Quoted for truth.

I guess the only other two-card combo that is really standard that does this is Apothecary/Native Village, but even that isn't very reliable and requires support. On the other hand, Apothecary is so good that you usually want to build this deck anyways.

When I'm looking at a board, there are a few cards that make me ask very specific questions:

Develop/Procession: "How good is Develop/Procession going to be this game?"
Torturer: "Is there a village to go with it?"

etc.

One of these is with Native Village, and it goes like "can I get control over what I put on my mat?" -- if the answer is yes then it's usually something you want to do. There's always top-deck interaction to make that possible but remember not to overlook stuff like

Draw your deck -> discard card from your hand -> play NV

or even

Draw your deck -> gain a province (Remodel, whatever) -> play NV

With Island, I don't do this check and it's because you need a good chunk of draw to make a deck that can not only draw two dead cards reliably every turn, but also spare an Action to play the Island, AND generate two buys and $12. That almost always requires a village AND some other big support. Usually if you're mirrored or contested on components at all you don't have time to build something like this and score enough points to win the game, so it comes into play only against opponents who are not really aware of decks ambitious enough to do all of this stuff. Usually those players (very new players) look at Island and think "Wow! Points AND I don't have to draw my Estates OR give up those points? This card is OP!" and pile the Islands so this trick is irrelevant there too. I've just pulled it off so infrequently in practice that it isn't on my checklist.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
+4

I still don't get the Graverobber/Inn/Procession/Feast thing. Can someone explain it to me?

Deck: empty
Hand: Procession/Procession/Feast/Graverobber/Inn
Discard: Procession/some other stuff
Trash: Graverobber/some other stuff

Play Procession on Procession.
   Procession 1: Play Feast, gaining Procession, Feast, (trash Feast, gain any fiver from this. Unfortunately you can't use this gain to seed your discard with Procession on the first turn you do this.)
   Procession 2: Play Graverobber
      Graverobber 1: Trash Inn, gain Province
      Graverobber 2: Gain Graverobber from trash (goes on top of deck)
   (trash Graverobber)
Trash Procession, gain an Inn, shuffle [Procession originally in discard]/[Procession/Feast gained from Procession 1 on Feast]/[Inn just gained] into your deck, which is just that Graverobber, so you get that same hand for tomorrow.

You discard a Procession from in play to seed your discard for next hand, and you trash a Graverobber to seed the trash for next hand.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama

Procession 1: Play Feast, gaining Procession, Feast, (trash Feast, gain any fiver from this. Unfortunately you can't use this gain to seed your discard with Procession on the first turn you do this.)
   (trash Graverobber)
Trash Procession, gain an Inn, shuffle [Procession originally in discard]/[Procession/Feast gained from Procession 1 on Feast]/[Inn just gained] into your deck, which is just that Graverobber, so you get that same hand for tomorrow.

You discard a Procession from in play to seed your discard for next hand, and you trash a Graverobber to seed the trash for next hand.

Ooh, you can do it like that, too. I did it in a slightly different way because there was other support in the kingdom (namely Crossroads and Necropolis) and obviously it's also possible to just buy more Inns to replace the non-drawing splitters, which is slower to set up because Inns are expensive, but it gains an extra Duchy per turn and doesn't have to worry about the Procession split.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs

I love trying to build Golden Decks. The real difficulty is surviving long enough to get it going.

If you can get down to a 5-card "deck" that has a +VP, trasher, or pseudo-trasher you could potentially play the same hand every turn.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile

(trash Graverobber)

Thank you for this. I was thinking about it in a similar way, but realized that the Processions and Inns eventually run out of Supply. I guess that's inescapable.

That means this combo breaks down if the Procession pile or Inn pile is depleted (you only gain Graverobbers from the trash), but you've hopefully gotten a bunch of Provinces by then, and you can get more with just the Processions/Graverobbers/Inns you have.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama

That means this combo breaks down if the Procession pile or Inn pile is depleted (you only gain Graverobbers from the trash), but you've hopefully gotten a bunch of Provinces by then, and you can get more with just the Processions/Graverobbers/Inns you have.

It doesn't have to break down if the Procession pile is depleted (if you use another splitter instead of double Procession). It does also break down if the Feast pile is depleted, though.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
+14

Wow, it has happened. Fds threads now have click-baiting titles.

Next up:
"These 5 combos make Counting House invincible. Number 4 will make you cry."
"You won't believe what stef did in this game against some random stranger."
"These 10 dominion fanfics have changed AdamH's life."
"Did you know all these 19 pictures of Donald X eating sauerkraut?"

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
+4

Came up with another 3-card combo: Forge, Fortress, Native Village.

Deck is 3x Fortress, Forge, Native Village.  Play Fortress, play Forge (2x Fortress -> Province), play NV to remove Province from deck.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs

Deck is 3x Fortress, Forge, Native Village.  Play Fortress, play Forge (2x Fortress -> Province), play NV to remove Province from deck.
Couldn't you do that with 2x Fortress, 2x Native Village, 1x Forge? Assuming you are down to those 5 cards, you can play NV, putting nothing on the mat, play Forge trashing your two Fortress for the Province, then play the other NV to put the Province on the mat.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile

Couldn't you do that with 2x Fortress, 2x Native Village, 1x Forge? Assuming you are down to those 5 cards, you can play NV, putting nothing on the mat, play Forge trashing your two Fortress for the Province, then play the other NV to put the Province on the mat.

Sure, the first village could be any village.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
+1

I'm disappointed no one has mentioned this one yet.

Copper-Silver-Royal Seal-Gold-Horn of Plenty gaining Mandarin each turn, which lasts as long as you have Mandarins in the supply.

Replace Royal Seal with Venture or Hoard if those are out. Replace with Platinum in a Colony game.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 07:59:07 pm by Titandrake »
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
+2

A deck of Throne Room-Remodel-Province-Province-Province will guarantee you two provinces each turn for the rest of the game.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
+1

Copper-Silver-Royal Seal-Gold-Horn of Plenty gaining Mandarin each turn, which lasts as long as you have Mandarins in the supply.

Don't worry, I'll save you!

There's the Mandarin/Horn tricks as well, for example you have a hand with Copper, Silver, Gold, Stash, Horn; play your treasures so you have $8, play your Horn, gain a Mandarin, top-deck the five treasures, then buy your Province.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
+4

Don't worry, I'll save you!

There's the Mandarin/Horn tricks as well, for example you have a hand with Copper, Silver, Gold, Stash, Horn; play your treasures so you have $8, play your Horn, gain a Mandarin, top-deck the five treasures, then buy your Province.

Isn't Counterfeit more relevant for this? Counterfeit, Gold, Gold, Gold, Gold can just buy both cards, and doesn't depend on a third kingdom card, making Counterfeit/Mandarin more likely to appear.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
+6

So...anyone know about any golden decks with Scout? I'm asking for a friend.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 2.369 seconds with 21 queries.