Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15  All

Author Topic: KC is far more skippable than people think.  (Read 92703 times)

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
Re: KC is far more skippable than people think.
« Reply #125 on: January 05, 2016, 04:05:09 pm »
+1

The thread was already derailed by trolls. AdamH is one of the only constructive people in here and he is the sole reason my first experience with this forum was not completely negative.

As for KC, I was under the impression that the consensus was that KC is never skippable because of some comments I had seen, hence the "90-93%" being considered "far more than people think" I expect to be ribbed for indulging in hyperbole when I make threads so people can poke fun at me if they wish, but the way in which it was done was far more irritating than it was amusing. Furthermore, people were mocking me in a most distasteful way simply for estimating the percentage of KC games that are skippable.

I'm sorry that you felt that, and I see how it could have come through that way.
If it can make you feel better, it was never my intention to mock you in the few joking posts I made on the matter. I was rather commenting on the (in my opinion) pointlessness of arguing about finely defined percentages in general. I'm confident nobody else was specifically picking at you in the ensuing percentage galore, and was rather going for the general funniness.  :)

GOON GARDEN

• Salvager
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 05, 2016, 04:10:25 pm »

What I mean is  that life is short and anyone could die at any time. Life is too short to waste time being subjected to people such as yourself, and life is too short to waste your time engaging in the unfunny mockery of others.
I just hope I live to see the day when scientists have extended the human lifespan so far that unfunny mockery of others can finally be a truly rewarding activity.

I hope you live long enough to outgrow the douche bag mindset that inspired that comment

I was referring to the fact that we could die at any time and the science of life extension won't change the fact that we could die at any time.  SO be kind to others, is what I was saying.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 04:14:16 pm by GOON GARDEN »
This user is banned!

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 05, 2016, 04:13:07 pm »
+2

What I mean is  that life is short and anyone could die at any time. Life is too short to waste time being subjected to people such as yourself, and life is too short to waste your time engaging in the unfunny mockery of others.
I just hope I live to see the day when scientists have extended the human lifespan so far that unfunny mockery of others can finally be a truly rewarding activity.

I hope you live long enough to outgrow the douche bag mindset that inspired that comment
Calling the creator of Dominion a 'douchebag' on his own forum is generally a bad idea.
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 05, 2016, 04:13:44 pm »
+23

TheExpressicist's spreadsheet with card stats for the top 20 players (a year ago) showed a gain rate of 82% for King's Court

GOON GARDEN

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 05, 2016, 04:15:26 pm »

Calling the creator of Dominion a 'douchebag' on his own forum is generally a bad idea.

Go ahead, ban me, doing so would be doing me a favor really
This user is banned!

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 05, 2016, 04:18:14 pm »

Go ahead, ban me, doing so would be doing me a favor really
If you really feel that bad, you should click away from the forum for an hour or so. I've done that before, back when all the n00bs (like Stef and Wandering Winder) tried to tell me Scout wasn't good.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 05, 2016, 04:19:41 pm »
+2

I was referring to the fact that we could die at any time and the science of life extension won't change the fact that we could die at any time.  SO be kind to others, is what I was saying.

See, it's like, you're saying everyone else is being all rude and insulting to you, when really it's just you insulting other people.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 05, 2016, 04:20:08 pm »

TheExpressicist's spreadsheet with card stats for the top 20 players (a year ago) showed a gain rate of 82% for King's Court

Well, then it's settled. 

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 05, 2016, 04:21:52 pm »
+1

And a win rate with of 71% with vs 49% without which suggests that they should buy it more. Problem is, being so expensive, many of the games when they didn't buy it, they realistically wanted it and never got the occasion to buy it.

Do I miss councilroom.

GOON GARDEN

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 05, 2016, 04:26:43 pm »

See, it's like, you're saying everyone else is being all rude and insulting to you, when really it's just you insulting other people.

I insulted ONE person. ONE. And I do regret it already. Sorry Donald. But your comment was very unkind and I did nothing to provoke you. Sorry for retaliating with further unkindness. I guess I just got fed up with all of this. I wish the mods could just close this thread so I could forget about this awful experience.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 04:28:02 pm by GOON GARDEN »
This user is banned!

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5161
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 05, 2016, 04:33:20 pm »
+4

You are one of those people who disagrees for the sake of disagreeing.
There is productive disagreeing and there is disagreeing that is nothing more than petty diversions. You are of the latter category
The amount of petty nitpicking in this forum is offputting to say the least
You're not funny
that witherweaver is decidedly unfunny
[I am] Being surrounded by a mob
Life is too short to waste time being subjected to people such as yourself
[...]
You aren't any funnier or wittier than a parrot is when it repeats a phrase.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 05, 2016, 04:34:04 pm »
+1

To be fair, KC probably is far more skippable than I think. (or rather, as I act)

This thread most definitely does not need to be locked nor does anyone need to be banned.

I'm pretty skeptical of the idea that derailing threads with jokes, tangents, memes, whatever is bad for dominionstrategyforum living up to its name.

I also think that nitpicking is essential otherwise we would run out of things to talk about too fast. Also it's fun(ny).
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 04:35:38 pm by liopoil »

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #137 on: January 05, 2016, 04:34:08 pm »
+3

And a win rate with of 71% with vs 49% without which suggests that they should buy it more. Problem is, being so expensive, many of the games when they didn't buy it, they realistically wanted it and never got the occasion to buy it.

Do I miss councilroom.
And that win% rate suggests that of the 82% of games it was gained, only 86% of those games did that player win. This suggests that the original assertion of 90%-93% is actually too high, and that KC is more skip-able than originally thought.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25715
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 05, 2016, 04:36:22 pm »
+4

Like, I don't see why the General Discussion forum isn't good enough for this. Why can't that discussion all go there and then all of the Dominion discussion go here, then it's all organized.
I think the way to understand this is just to turn it back on yourself. Why do you personally have these huge posts about this topic in this thread that wanted to be about King's Court? This was the place, this is where the conversation was happening. You didn't start a thread somewhere else to say this off-topic stuff; other people also didn't. I would not expect them to in the future either.

Two reasons:
It was a rhetorical question, but I don't mind that you answered it. If looking at yourself as another guy posting off-topic is impossible, well I don't have a second way to explain it to you. You, Adam H., have devoted more time in this thread to off-topic posts than anyone. "They started it" isn't much of an excuse.

I think anyone who starts a thread with the premise "KC is far more skippable than people think," and then amends that to saying it's good 90-93% of the time, should expect to be ribbed.

I really, really, disagree with you, man.
I do not feel like I put that especially harshly, note my use of the word "rib;" neither did I phrase it in such a way that it even took into account any particular actual post, which man I do not have the time to pore over, I am too busy with unfunny mockery.

I am confident that there are nuns who would rib someone for that particular communication failure. I do not think that particular activity establishes someone as a Bad Person. What is that Mark Twain quote. All I care to know is that a man is a human being--that is enough for me; he can't be any worse.

But if that's how you would treat people, then you aren't exactly someone I would want to be bros with. I really think you should reconsider that.
I am some guy. If it's important to you that I be someone in particular, well, I am probably not that person. If you're a dog person, who knows, I may be a cat person. It will be like that for thing after thing, until I am just some monster with all the wrong pets.

And I don't know if you're a dog person or a cat person. That isn't a level at which we interact. So far, we mostly talk about how you don't like the forums but I do.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 05, 2016, 04:36:38 pm »
+9

I wish the mods could just close this thread so I could forget about this awful experience.

Just shut down your computer and go for a walk, preferably through some enchanting forest if you're fortunate enough to live near one. Taking a run could also help. Your mood is not in the hand of the mods and it's self-debilitating to pretend otherwise.

SirMartin

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +19
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 05, 2016, 04:36:42 pm »

You are one of those people who disagrees for the sake of disagreeing.
There is productive disagreeing and there is disagreeing that is nothing more than petty diversions. You are of the latter category
The amount of petty nitpicking in this forum is offputting to say the least
You're not funny
that witherweaver is decidedly unfunny
[I am] Being surrounded by a mob
Life is too short to waste time being subjected to people such as yourself
[...]
You aren't any funnier or wittier than a parrot is when it repeats a phrase.
You forgot the part where he called everyone 'snotty' and went after me when I wasn't trying to be militious.

GOON GARDEN

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 05, 2016, 04:39:43 pm »

ugh. Its almost 6 AM here and I can't sleep. I normally don't have any trouble sleeping.

To the posters who continually mock me:Please leave me alone. I guess I didn't realize how shitty I was feeling until I got embroiled in arguments and  a lot of negative crap in my life came up to the surface. I feel pretty depressed about life right now. I am not blaming this forum for how I feel right now but obviously someone who is in a fragile state such as myself shouldn't be posting here.
This user is banned!

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 05, 2016, 04:40:31 pm »
+9

Man this isn't my forum. I just hang out here, like anyone. I guess I do get to moderate two sub-forums, but so does uh Robz888. Oh man Ozle has a sub-forum. That shows you just how serious moderating sub-forums is.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 05, 2016, 04:41:12 pm »
+4

Oh man Mic, now you've gone too far. You just couldn't leave it alone, could you. *disgust*

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 05, 2016, 04:42:59 pm »
+2

ugh. Its almost 6 AM here and I can't sleep. I normally don't have any trouble sleeping.

To the posters who continually mock me:Please leave me alone. I guess I didn't realize how shitty I was feeling until I got embroiled in arguments and  a lot of negative crap in my life came up to the surface. I feel pretty depressed about life right now. I am not blaming this forum for how I feel right now but obviously someone who is in a fragile state such as myself shouldn't be posting here.

I hope you feel better soon!

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 05, 2016, 04:44:35 pm »

Man this isn't my forum. I just hang out here, like anyone. I guess I do get to moderate two sub-forums, but so does uh Robz888. Oh man Ozle has a sub-forum. That shows you just how serious moderating sub-forums is.
I'm pretty sure you're theory, but I personally consider it your forum. You invented Dominion!

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 05, 2016, 04:48:17 pm »
+6

Now this, I can't and won't mock.  In fact it's refreshing to see someone being this forward.  Even assuming this isn't mental illness and is just plain "I've had a bad day/week," man, self care is important.

Someone above (SCSN?) suggested taking a walk, and I advise the same if that's your thing.  Walk away for a while, nap, shower, decompress, play a game, whatever you do to feel better.  You do you.

I'm literally typing this while in front of a therapy light.  I've been there, dude.  Go, do some self care, come back later and we can all forget how this thread played out.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12871
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #147 on: January 05, 2016, 04:50:47 pm »

1. Many of the little quips are overused, to the point where some people find it irritating to read Scout jokes. They are no longer funny because they are overused.

No, they are funny precisely because they are "overused". They're parts of the board culture and while the culture is supposed to evolve over time, it comes mostly in the form of inclusion of new in-jokes. Old in-jokes die when they cease to be in-jokes, but that really doesn't happen very often when the community is like this.

2. Many of the little quips are about being pedantic, which can often have some uncomfortable effects. These effects include personal offense being taken by someone who was quoted out of context or whose words are being misunderstood and being made light of; and also they can sort of look like they're on-topic but can begin to move the discussion in a direction that can either be very far from what the OP really wanted to talk about, or worse, onto something not related to Dominion at all. So one post goes partially off-topic, and the next one goes even more, and 5 posts later in this chain we're talking about something completely unrelated.

Some would say that if the OP is upset about a change in topic or takes personal offense where none was intended that "lol this is the internet, just get used to it or gtfo, don't be so sensitive." I realize I may be in the minority in saying this, and my argument here isn't the most compelling thing ever, but here it is: Really? Are you serious? What the H? Is that really the image you want this community to give off? Especially in someone's first thread, when we can't respect what they ask for? Yeah this is the internet but jeez, have some decency. At least try and to be open-minded enough to realize that not everyone shares the "dwi or gtfo" mentality and maybe we would be a more welcoming place if we didn't end up doing that to people who are new here?

Most newbies have no problems with the community as far as I can tell. The other option is having strict moderation, and strict moderation needs rules to be in place, and rules are the exact opposite of welcoming because nobody ever bothers to read them and then they post something which is technically not allowed and get warned by a moderator or banned or something.

3. The quips are not evenly peppered in, they come in deluges of 5-10 posts made in like an hour's time. This is significant because after one of these little tangents, it's harder for someone to come in and read that and just go back to talking about Dominion. It's even harder when they do so only to have their posts nitpicked by even more posts that are off-topic. It's even harder when the short posts where little thought went into them are rewarded by +1s while the posts that someone spent a while thinking about and had thought and *gasp* actual Dominion insight or questions don't get nearly the same treatment. I spent 15 minutes typing up something I think is thoughtful and I see 5 one-liners were posted while I was typing that have completely changed the subject, now I feel weird making my post and even weirder when it vanishes in a sea of getting made fun of or indifference to all of our lovely quips! Quips are so great!

It's not at all harder to come in and go back to talking about Dominion. Just click on the "Post Reply" button, type your post in the biggest of the text fields and click the "Post" button when you're done, just like you would when everyone is already talking about Dominion. It's not an IRL conversation so it doesn't have to flow like one.

4. The number of these posts is greater than 1/5 of X. I don't know what the number in this thread was, and I don't know what the right number is, but suffice it to say that the people who think similarly to what I'm describing wish they were less in number than what they are. Maybe zero isn't the perfect number for Y, but golly gee it's probably less than what it is now; enough so that it's not taking more value away from these people than the quippers could possibly be getting.

I'm rather comfortable with the 475+/500 that's pretty typical of threads on /a/.

Even if you don't agree with these, can you at least understand why someone out there could feel like the quips are taking away from the discussion at hand? If you at least recognize that someone out there could possibly feel differently than you do, then is it too much to ask to respect that person's wishes when they ask for the quips and nitpicks to stop?

The answer I've seen from this community so far has been "yes, that is too much to ask." I will refer to my previously mentioned "Really? Are you serious? What the H? Is that really the image you want this community to give off?" argument.

No, it is certainly beyond my comprehension why someone feels like anything added to the discussion takes something away from it. That's seems a lot like a contradiction to me.

And yes, it is obviously too much to ask. I don't usually read long Dominion related posts because they're tl;dr, do you not feel that it would be too much to ask to respect my wishes if I asked for the long Dominion related posting to stop?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 05, 2016, 04:51:25 pm »

Now this, I can't and won't mock.  In fact it's refreshing to see someone being this forward.  Even assuming this isn't mental illness and is just plain "I've had a bad day/week," man, self care is important.

Someone above (SCSN?) suggested taking a walk, and I advise the same if that's your thing.  Walk away for a while, nap, shower, decompress, play a game, whatever you do to feel better.  You do you.

I'm literally typing this while in front of a therapy light.  I've been there, dude.  Go, do some self care, come back later and we can all forget how this thread played out.

Therapy light?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 05, 2016, 05:09:45 pm »
+1

Therapy light?

10000 lux of full-spectrum light about 30 cm from your face for 20-30 min.  Used for seasonal affective disorder and sometimes depression, especially in northern latitudes in winter.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15  All

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 21 queries.