Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15  All

Author Topic: KC is far more skippable than people think.  (Read 92704 times)

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
Re: KC is far more skippable than people think.
« Reply #100 on: January 05, 2016, 01:09:02 pm »
+11

"king's court is clearly as not as skippable as the OP thinks, what else is there to talk about?"

Relevant topics that have been touched on in this thread other than skippability of KC on that particular board include:

- generalizing the cases where KC may be skippable and giving tools to identify them when could come up elsewhere, specifically the effect of junking attacks
- valid and invalid criteria for determining whether one strategy is "better" than another (on that board, yes, but the discussion hasn't been restricted to that board)
- methods for speaking precisely about how good things are and noting its important when communicating in a text setting

All of these I feel are really good, really important topics to be discussed, but the most important thing(s) are the ones that could be talked about here but aren't because of the excess noise happening, such as:

- clarification on a Dominion-related statement either because something wasn't stated clearly enough or, more context is required for someone less familiar with the game
- any question inspired by reading this discussion, as long as it's constructive and Dominion-related, however tangential it may be to the original topic (even if that discussion happens several months from now after people have just stopped talking in this thread)

It may seem silly, but I know for a fact that there are tons of people who lurk on these forums and don't post. One of them decided to stop lurking just to talk about this topic, and because of the excess noise in this thread, regretted doing so at some point. Regardless of how he handled it, the fact remains that there was potential for a new member of this community to be welcomed in and more Dominion-related discussion to take place as a result and this is how the community handled it (by making him feel regret). How many other lurkers do you think will read this thread, see how goon garden felt, and choose to remain lurkers as a result? If the answer is anything other than "absolutely zero, no questions asked" then maybe we owe it to them to not crap all over someone's first thread (and first direct interaction with F.DS) like we have here.

And then there are people here who want to see more Dominion discussion. I'd guess that most of these people are not the same ones that have done the damage in this thread, but if any of the people who made posts in this thread that were not Dominion-related at all feel like there should be more Dominion discussion, then my advice to them is to be the change you want to see.

And if there is no overlap (or even if there is, actually) people can just mash the "report to moderator" button on posts that were completely off-topic and derailed the discussion. This was the guidance I was given; if people get slapped on the wrist and are made more aware that some people out there are not appreciative of their remarks, maybe they will see the damage they have done and be less inclined do more of it in the future -- so far the only feedback they've been given is large amounts of +1s, which is sending a very clear message. So "be the change you want to see" applies here in that if you don't like seeing this and don't think it should be rewarded, then press the closest thing this forum has to a downvote button. In fact, I might be doing that shortly.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7868
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 05, 2016, 01:21:59 pm »
+5

You can both talk about Dominion and throw off lighthearted remarks at the same time and the world won't end.

I totally agree with this. In fact, I throw in lighthearted remarks into my posts all of the time. They're everywhere in my Jack article, which is one of the most "serious" and Dominion-related posts I've ever made. OTOH, just count the number of posts in this thread right now and see what percentage of them have no Dominion content whatsoever (I'm not going to do this, I'm speaking rhetorically, but sure someone can do this, that's fine) and you'll see how lighthearted remarks can come at the expense of Dominion content. Like, what if posts with no meaningful Dominion content were just removed? I bet this would read a lot better and lots of people would be happier. It's so easy for those to not be posted, you know?

Like, this is exactly my point, that this is not the case.  It is not as the expense of Dominion content.  If those posts weren't there, there would not be less Dominion content, there would just be less of the lighthearted posts.  I guess you can say you're reducing the density of Dominion content.  But to me it's like, you read a thread, someone makes a (quite possibly lame) joke, you either chuckle and move on or ignore it and move on.  No harm done.   

funkdoc

• Witch
  • Respect: +414
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 05, 2016, 01:37:27 pm »
+2

GOON GARDEN, i'm with you on a lot of this.  my post was meant to describe a common pattern of behavior here, not to say that it's right.  i will say that anywhere i've been, new posters who strongly challenge common assumptions get treated like this if not worse - seems to come with the territory, unfortunately.

adam, everything you seem to be looking for would be much better accomplished on twitter were it not for the fact that hardly anybody here uses it.  you would expect the character limit to hurt your chances of quality discussion, but that's more than made up for by the extra options you have to regulate things (blocking, etc.).  every twitter thread is basically its own mini-forum where everyone has mod powers that only apply to their own experience there, and i think that's a huge boon to [serious] stuff; there's a reason black lives matter originated on twitter and not a forum.  buuuuuuut the eurogame world is 5 years behind the times here so i can understand why you keep holding out hope!

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 05, 2016, 02:02:46 pm »
+6

You can both talk about Dominion and throw off lighthearted remarks at the same time and the world won't end.

I totally agree with this. In fact, I throw in lighthearted remarks into my posts all of the time. They're everywhere in my Jack article, which is one of the most "serious" and Dominion-related posts I've ever made. OTOH, just count the number of posts in this thread right now and see what percentage of them have no Dominion content whatsoever (I'm not going to do this, I'm speaking rhetorically, but sure someone can do this, that's fine) and you'll see how lighthearted remarks can come at the expense of Dominion content. Like, what if posts with no meaningful Dominion content were just removed? I bet this would read a lot better and lots of people would be happier. It's so easy for those to not be posted, you know?

Like, this is exactly my point, that this is not the case.  It is not as the expense of Dominion content.  If those posts weren't there, there would not be less Dominion content, there would just be less of the lighthearted posts.  I guess you can say you're reducing the density of Dominion content.  But to me it's like, you read a thread, someone makes a (quite possibly lame) joke, you either chuckle and move on or ignore it and move on.  No harm done.   

I for one don't post actual content that relates to Dominion on this forum any more, and I once did if you look back at my history, because of this exact reason. Maybe it is me that needs to grow a thicker skin and be tougher on the Internet. But you know what, I am not going to. That is my personality. So is it my problem or yours? Probably mine but that doesn't erase the fact that you can't just say "no harm done" and "move on" and let it just sit at that. Although a lack of my posts about Dominion might not be "harm." You can be the judge of that...

But I know I am less likely to post something (even something like this makes me hesitant and squeamish to post given the anticipated reaction) and I know there are others out there like me. And I am not even saying that people should stop reacting and posting the things they do. All I am saying is that it is naive to think that people are as ready and willing to just ignore stupid jokes as you are. Jokes do have an effect on the amount of Dominion content. Because I am posting less because of them. Others are too. Is it worth it? I can't answer that.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #104 on: January 05, 2016, 02:38:36 pm »
+4

just count the number of posts in this thread right now and see what percentage of them have no Dominion content whatsoever and you'll see how lighthearted remarks can come at the expense of Dominion content.

It is exactly my point that it is the case, and I feel like you aren't getting it. Perhaps I have communicated my point suboptimally, so allow me to attempt this again.

Let's take a thread with X posts that are all about Dominion, with zero of them off-topic. Every post is relevant to the discussion or to Dominion or whatever. Now let's pepper in Y posts that are one line each, with a little quip that isn't related to anything, but generates a nice, hearty chuckle for some, who then press the +1 button. Let's also say that Y does not exceed 1/5 of X, this number is arbitrary but it just means that we still have more Dominion commentary than quips. There are now X+Y posts in the thread, and we still have our X posts about Dominion, which we didn't change, so we didn't take away from the Dominion discussion. Yay! An argument could be made that in this ideal case, we have not lost anything Dominion-related, and we added in our chuckles and +1s while nobody really minded our quips because they were short, sporadic, and easily ignorable by everyone who cared about discussing Dominion. I don't necessarily agree with this argument (I haven't really decided) but let's just give you this: let's say this is not harmful.

But that's not what happens here, and let me outline the key differences.

1. Many of the little quips are overused, to the point where some people find it irritating to read Scout jokes. They are no longer funny because they are overused.

2. Many of the little quips are about being pedantic, which can often have some uncomfortable effects. These effects include personal offense being taken by someone who was quoted out of context or whose words are being misunderstood and being made light of; and also they can sort of look like they're on-topic but can begin to move the discussion in a direction that can either be very far from what the OP really wanted to talk about, or worse, onto something not related to Dominion at all. So one post goes partially off-topic, and the next one goes even more, and 5 posts later in this chain we're talking about something completely unrelated.

Some would say that if the OP is upset about a change in topic or takes personal offense where none was intended that "lol this is the internet, just get used to it or gtfo, don't be so sensitive." I realize I may be in the minority in saying this, and my argument here isn't the most compelling thing ever, but here it is: Really? Are you serious? What the H? Is that really the image you want this community to give off? Especially in someone's first thread, when we can't respect what they ask for? Yeah this is the internet but jeez, have some decency. At least try and to be open-minded enough to realize that not everyone shares the "dwi or gtfo" mentality and maybe we would be a more welcoming place if we didn't end up doing that to people who are new here?

3. The quips are not evenly peppered in, they come in deluges of 5-10 posts made in like an hour's time. This is significant because after one of these little tangents, it's harder for someone to come in and read that and just go back to talking about Dominion. It's even harder when they do so only to have their posts nitpicked by even more posts that are off-topic. It's even harder when the short posts where little thought went into them are rewarded by +1s while the posts that someone spent a while thinking about and had thought and *gasp* actual Dominion insight or questions don't get nearly the same treatment. I spent 15 minutes typing up something I think is thoughtful and I see 5 one-liners were posted while I was typing that have completely changed the subject, now I feel weird making my post and even weirder when it vanishes in a sea of getting made fun of or indifference to all of our lovely quips! Quips are so great!

4. The number of these posts is greater than 1/5 of X. I don't know what the number in this thread was, and I don't know what the right number is, but suffice it to say that the people who think similarly to what I'm describing wish they were less in number than what they are. Maybe zero isn't the perfect number for Y, but golly gee it's probably less than what it is now; enough so that it's not taking more value away from these people than the quippers could possibly be getting.

Even if you don't agree with these, can you at least understand why someone out there could feel like the quips are taking away from the discussion at hand? If you at least recognize that someone out there could possibly feel differently than you do, then is it too much to ask to respect that person's wishes when they ask for the quips and nitpicks to stop?

The answer I've seen from this community so far has been "yes, that is too much to ask." I will refer to my previously mentioned "Really? Are you serious? What the H? Is that really the image you want this community to give off?" argument.

adam, everything you seem to be looking for would be much better accomplished on twitter were it not for the fact that hardly anybody here uses it.  you would expect the character limit to hurt your chances of quality discussion, but that's more than made up for by the extra options you have to regulate things (blocking, etc.).  every twitter thread is basically its own mini-forum where everyone has mod powers that only apply to their own experience there, and i think that's a huge boon to [serious] stuff; there's a reason black lives matter originated on twitter and not a forum.

Umm, pardon my ignorance. You are clearly much more well-versed in the Twitters than I am (you saw my attempt, it was pathetic, I felt like a fish out of water). I was thinking more along the lines of Reddit, a very large community where [serious] tags are respected and lots of really, really great discussion takes place as a result. If this is not a valid comparison then please tell me, because I'm not sure whether or not I agree with you.

buuuuuuut the eurogame world is 5 years behind the times here so i can understand why you keep holding out hope!

I don't think you meant any offense by this, but it doesn't quite seem appropriate. If I asked you to not make comments like that would you do it? Maybe I'm just missing the point? I don't think I'm that far behind the times, am I? I'm pretty hep with what the cool kids have to say, cowabunga! Bee's knees! Bully for F.DS!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 05, 2016, 02:57:49 pm »
+1

just count the number of posts in this thread right now and see what percentage of them have no Dominion content whatsoever and you'll see how lighthearted remarks can come at the expense of Dominion content.

It is exactly my point that it is the case, and I feel like you aren't getting it. Perhaps I have communicated my point suboptimally, so allow me to attempt this again.

(snip for brevity)

It's not that I don't get it, it's just that I don't agree.  From my perspective, it feels like you don't get it, but I guess we just see it differently.  Well, that much is clear, that I'm saying I don't think it's the case and you're saying that it is. 

To me the sentiment is not so much "lol this is the internet, just get used to it or gtfo, don't be so sensitive", and I think that's an unfair representation of the people on this forum.  Because I think that, while perhaps a little bit brash, the people that frequent this community are overall intelligent and nice people.  It's rather something like "look, we probably derailed your thread with random off-topic comments, and now we're going on about something else, but this is just because we're a weird sort with weird humor, and we don't mean any disrespect or offense to you.  I'm sorry if you don't like us, but we're not going to be too personally invested in it anyway." 

Honestly, I appreciate the wit from people that post here.  Not me, I'm not witty, but there are quite a few, and they make me chuckle, and that makes my day better.  I suppose I'm also interested in the auxiliary topics moreso than Dominion itself, so there's a bit of an inherent gap between us there.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #106 on: January 05, 2016, 03:05:46 pm »
+3

I'm not sure I would have more than 100 posts if I was required to post Dominion-related content all the time. I just don't have that much to say that wasn't already said by people with more knowledge or experience than me.

I could go on for quite a while when it comes to cars or movies though, as I have quite a bit of practice there. Even then it gets to a point where I would be repeating myself as there is only so much content to work with.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

faust

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
  • Respect: +5161
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 05, 2016, 03:14:22 pm »
+2

Being surrounded by a mob picking apart every word is downright horrid considering how short life is.

That's a great epitaph. I think I will use it on every post of mine from now on, considering how short life is.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #108 on: January 05, 2016, 03:17:18 pm »

It's not that I don't get it, it's just that I don't agree.  From my perspective, it feels like you don't get it, but I guess we just see it differently.  Well, that much is clear, that I'm saying I don't think it's the case and you're saying that it is. 

That's cool. I'm not saying you have to agree with me and I hold no delusions that I'll change your mind. But can you see how people would feel the way I'm describing, and do you have any desire to make this forum a place where those people can have what they want too? That's sort of where I'm going with this... Like, it seems reasonable at least to stop trolling when the OP specifically asks you to stop trolling, instead of trolling the fact that he asked you to stop trolling. That would be a really good start and it doesn't seem like you would lose much enjoyment by doing that.

Honestly, I appreciate the wit from people that post here.  Not me, I'm not witty, but there are quite a few, and they make me chuckle, and that makes my day better.  I suppose I'm also interested in the auxiliary topics moreso than Dominion itself, so there's a bit of an inherent gap between us there.

I'm not sure I would have more than 100 posts if I was required to post Dominion-related content all the time. I just don't have that much to say that wasn't already said by people with more knowledge or experience than me.

I could go on for quite a while when it comes to cars or movies though, as I have quite a bit of practice there. Even then it gets to a point where I would be repeating myself as there is only so much content to work with.

Like, I don't see why the General Discussion forum isn't good enough for this. Why can't that discussion all go there and then all of the Dominion discussion go here, then it's all organized. I love it when things are organized, you should see my desks at work and my Dominion box and my board games when they're all nice and put-away. It's like, so totally amazeballs. I just don't see how everyone can't be happy with that! Let the Dominion discussion be what it is without augmenting it with things that aren't Dominion "just to keep it going," I would bet large amounts of money that this would result in more and higher-quality Dominion-related discussion than what we currently have.

faust

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 05, 2016, 03:18:45 pm »
+7

It is bad when every thread that tries to start a discussion about Dominion is killed off by jokes. It is worse when every thread that tries to start a discussion about Dominion is killed off by people ranting about how bad it this that all threads about discussing Dominion are being killed off by jokes, considering how short life is.

EDIT: Damn, I nearly forgot.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 03:23:28 pm by faust »

GOON GARDEN

• Salvager
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 05, 2016, 03:24:16 pm »

Being surrounded by a mob picking apart every word is downright horrid considering how short life is.

That's a great epitaph. I think I will use it on every post of mine from now on, considering how short life is.

What I mean is  that life is short and anyone could die at any time. Life is too short to waste time being subjected to people such as yourself, and life is too short to waste your time engaging in the unfunny mockery of others.

You aren't any funnier or wittier than a parrot is when it repeats a phrase.

And with that being said, I am reminded that posting on this forum is pretty much the least rewarding thing I could possibly be doing with my time.

This user is banned!

GOON GARDEN

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 05, 2016, 03:26:15 pm »

It is bad when every thread that tries to start a discussion about Dominion is killed off by jokes. It is worse when every thread that tries to start a discussion about Dominion is killed off by people ranting about how bad it this that all threads about discussing Dominion are being killed off by jokes, considering how short life is.

How can something that is already derailed be derailed again? AdamH is one of the few gentlemen in this thread and you accuse him of derailing a thread when he is actually the only constructive poster in this thread and his attempt to try to turn the derailed thread into something positive is both noble and laudable.
This user is banned!

faust

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 05, 2016, 03:28:42 pm »
+2

How can something that is already derailed be derailed again? AdamH is one of the few gentlemen in this thread and you accuse him of derailing a thread when he is actually the only constructive poster in this thread and his attempt to try to turn the derailed thread into something positive is both noble and laudable.

I don't think it was that derailed to begin with. And while this is certainly a worthwile discussion to have, you kinda grow tired of it when you read it like me for the umpteenth time on this forum, considering how short life is.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 05, 2016, 03:29:06 pm »
+1

I have this sinking feeling that the f.ds regulars are not the trolls in this scenario.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 05, 2016, 03:29:40 pm »
+6

This thread is kinda funny if you read it pretending its one the forum mafia games.

I'm calling an Awaclus/Goon Garden scum team.

WW I can't get any kind of decent read on here, as per usual.
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25715
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 05, 2016, 03:29:45 pm »
+10

Like, I don't see why the General Discussion forum isn't good enough for this. Why can't that discussion all go there and then all of the Dominion discussion go here, then it's all organized.
I think the way to understand this is just to turn it back on yourself. Why do you personally have these huge posts about this topic in this thread that wanted to be about King's Court? This was the place, this is where the conversation was happening. You didn't start a thread somewhere else to say this off-topic stuff; other people also didn't. I would not expect them to in the future either.

I think anyone who starts a thread with the premise "KC is far more skippable than people think," and then amends that to saying it's good 90-93% of the time, should expect to be ribbed.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 05, 2016, 03:30:42 pm »
+4

Life is too short to spend time talking about how short life is, considering how short life is.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 05, 2016, 03:31:44 pm »

I think anyone who starts a thread with the premise "KC is far more skippable than people think," and then amends that to saying it's good 90-93% of the time, should expect to be ribbed.

In his defense, if he were of the opinion that people considered it good 100% of the time, then 90-93% of the time is far (well, infinitely) more skippable.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25715
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 05, 2016, 03:33:56 pm »
+15

What I mean is  that life is short and anyone could die at any time. Life is too short to waste time being subjected to people such as yourself, and life is too short to waste your time engaging in the unfunny mockery of others.
I just hope I live to see the day when scientists have extended the human lifespan so far that unfunny mockery of others can finally be a truly rewarding activity.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 05, 2016, 03:41:57 pm »
+3

Well, to be frank, and without pointing any accusatory fingers at the OP, the way his post was worded pretty much begged for the start of a flame war.
That was most unfortunate, and surely unintentional, but I think this thread would have brought much more satisfaction to many of the parties involved had the tone of that one first post been more diplomatical.
This doesn't justify us providing fuel to the kindle, resulting in a heated discussion about KC, then about heated discussions, then about the single parties involved (yuk) and then a light-hearted poking fun at the whole matter, and then again turning to the good old issue of should funnies be limited on f:ds.

I think this thread's intopicness (and civilty, never forget about civilty!) were beyond redemption long before the pack of jokes came.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 07:21:27 pm by Accatitippi »

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 05, 2016, 03:42:48 pm »
+8

The argument is that threads would go like this:
Dominion Content
Jokes
Dominion Content

Rather than this:
Dominion Content
Jokes
Comments on how jokes are getting us off-topic
Big argument about how jokes always get us off-topic

And now we never get back to the original discussion.  It may have gotten off-topic before, but it either would have died off (if people decided there was nothing left to add to the original discussion), or we would have gotten back on-topic.  Instead, we have now gotten into a completely off-topic discussion and it looks unlikely that we will ever get back on-topic.

The fact that AdamH has been nice to you and (I think) more reasonable than some of the others here in that regard doesn't make what he's saying about this topic right or more productive.  I think his comments are much more derailing than the jokes people were making earlier in the thread.

That being said, I agree with him that people took it too far.  I think it's okay to poke fun at other users, but it was clear that you were upset by it and it should have stopped after that.  I think the community needs to make more of an effort to be careful with this, especially with new users, who are not familiar with us and don't see it as much as a joke about something they said, but more as a joke about them personally.

If you're wondering why you got the response you did, I think it is because of the thread title.  In fact, most of what you said in thread sounds completely reasonable to me, and probably would have been to most people here, had you not made such a bold claim in the title.  I don't think it's nitpicking to complain about that one particular statement, because when you put it as the title, it's natural to assume that that's the main claim you are trying to back up.  You made some good points about King's Court, but none of them support the claim that it is "far more skippable than people think".  In fact, I don't think you ever stated how skippable you think everyone else thinks KC is, which seems like it would be a really important things to discuss before you can make that conclusion.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #121 on: January 05, 2016, 03:46:50 pm »
+2

Like, I don't see why the General Discussion forum isn't good enough for this. Why can't that discussion all go there and then all of the Dominion discussion go here, then it's all organized.
I think the way to understand this is just to turn it back on yourself. Why do you personally have these huge posts about this topic in this thread that wanted to be about King's Court? This was the place, this is where the conversation was happening. You didn't start a thread somewhere else to say this off-topic stuff; other people also didn't. I would not expect them to in the future either.

Two reasons:

First, I don't know of a better place. If you can suggest one I'll be happy to do it there. I have suggested a place for discussion about cars and how short life is: the General Discussion forum. If I had the power I'd split off the thread and move those posts over there, so maybe we pester Theory and ask him to do it? I mean I'd actually be happy if that happened but I have never been successful in the past in doing so. I think the system is broken so I have to fix the system from inside the system, or something like that.

Second, I'm not the one that started the derailing of this thread, in fact I've worked harder than most to bring it back on track. Sure my recent posts haven't been on the original topic but at this point I think you'd agree that I'm at least in the good graces of the OP. Goon garden is upset because of the direction that this went and has a really bad taste in his mouth -- maybe he's speaking more from a place of anger but I've been exactly there before and I feel like I can help bridge the gap between him and the people who have made him upset. I feel like there's a lot of value in that, wouldn't you say? So yeah I can make the case why my words belong here, but it's much harder to do for other posts in this thread like the ones that caused Goon garden to become upset in the first place.

I really, really, disagree with you, man. I feel like this thread was awesome up until that point: OP made a statement, some people expressed constructive disagreement with parts of it and clarification was made, then once everybody knew what they were talking about we found out we didn't disagree as much as we did before, but some new opinions were brought forward and an intelligent, constructive discussion was had. Maybe you wouldn't have phrased it in the same way as him but I think what he was saying was at least clear.

Why would you make fun of someone for that? Like, seriously, what kind of person are you? Maybe if there was some way to clearly show you're being sarcastic you could pull it off? In any case, that failed, and when he said he didn't appreciate it, are you really trying to justify the fact that people just doubled down on it and continued when it was clearly bothering him? That is not a nice thing to do.

Donald, I love you man, you should have seen me squee when I saw my wife's wedding present to me -- your autograph. You know how much that meant to me. But if that's how you would treat people, then you aren't exactly someone I would want to be bros with. I really think you should reconsider that.

GOON GARDEN

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 05, 2016, 03:48:21 pm »

The thread was already derailed by trolls. AdamH is one of the only constructive people in here and he is the sole reason my first experience with this forum was not completely negative.

As for KC, I was under the impression that the consensus was that KC is never skippable because of some comments I had seen, hence the "90-93%" being considered "far more than people think" I expect to be ribbed for indulging in hyperbole when I make threads so people can poke fun at me if they wish, but the way in which it was done was far more irritating than it was amusing. Furthermore, people were mocking me in a most distasteful way simply for estimating the percentage of KC games that are skippable.
This user is banned!

GOON GARDEN

• Salvager
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 05, 2016, 03:55:04 pm »
+1

I am absolutely sickened by all the folks giving AdamH flack

I had a pretty bad day today, and it didn't get any better when I logged onto this forum. AdamH was the only person I interacted with today who didn't add to the pain I was already feeling, but in fact alleviated it somewhat and gave me a reason to be positive.

This thread was going to turn into drama regardless of AdamH's posts -- And if the thread got off track, its my hyperbole in the title that should be blamed, not AdamH.

Whatever you think of what he has to say, do not blame him, that is absolutely ludicrous. Blame me or blame the trolls.

You have no idea what someone might be going through when you mock them or heap negativity on them. Life is too hard for us to be unkind.

Remember, this is a community. The health of the community supercedes the agenda of this thread, especially when it was destined to be a train wreck (due to my penchant for hyperbole)

You have finite time and energy each day. You can use it to add to people's pain or you can make people smile and feel good. Choose wisely.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2016, 03:56:34 pm by GOON GARDEN »
This user is banned!

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #124 on: January 05, 2016, 03:56:40 pm »
+1

I have not seen anyone here seriously suggest that KC is a must-buy on every board.

And I should apologize for bringing Adam into the thread, by mentioning one of his recurring jokes. (Which was relevant to the discussion, but I digress...)
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 15  All

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 21 queries.