Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Dominion Industrialisation  (Read 3247 times)

Michaelf7777777

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +2
    • View Profile
Dominion Industrialisation
« on: January 15, 2012, 07:02:54 pm »

Here are my ideas for cards for a new expansion. Feedback is welcomed.

Pub
Cost: 2
Action
+1 Coin
+2 Buys

Retirement Village
Action
+2 Actions
+1 Buy

Rotten Borough
Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
Name a card type, reveal cards from your deck until you find a card of that type, placing it on top of your deck and discarding all other revealed cards

Telescope
Action – Duration
+1 Card
+1 Action
At the start of your next turn, you may discard your hand, if you do +4 Cards

Colonist
Cost: 3
Action
+1 Coin
+1 Buy
Gain either a Silver or an Estate on top of your deck

Diplomat
Action – Attack – Reaction
Gain a Silver
All opponents gain two copper
- - - - - - -
You may reveal and discard this card to remain unaffected by an opponent’s attack card

Factory Town
Action
+1 Card
You may trash a card from your hand, if you do +2 Actions

Luddite
Action
+1 Buy
Trash any number of action cards. +1 VP for every action card trashed in this way

Policeman
Action
+2 Cards
Trash 2 Cards

School
Action
+1 Action
Gain up to two action cards costing up to 3 placing them in your hand

Crowded Cities
Cost: 4
Action – Attack
+2 Cards
All other players must either trash a victory card or gain a curse.

Death of God
Action – Victory
During the buy phase this turn, curses can be played as if they were coppers
- - - - - - -
Worth 1 VP for every 3 curses in your deck (Rounded Down)

Field Nurse
Action - Reaction
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
Trash any number of curses from your hand. Gain a card costing equal or less than the number of curses trashed
- - - - - - -
When a card is trashed from your deck, discard pile, hand or play area, reveal this card to put the trashed card in your hand instead

Gong Farmer
Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
If there are no cards in the trash, +1VP
You may gain a card from the trash into your hand
- - - - - - - - - -
When you gain this shuffle all the cards in the trash and reveal the top card and choose whether you gain a copy of the card or all opponents do

Jail
Action - Attack
+1 Coin
+1 Buy
All other players either discard two cards or gain a curse (their choice)

Tavern
Action
+1 Coin
+2 Buys
For every unused buy this turn, +1 Card during the clean up phase when drawing your hand for next turn

Unions
Action - Attack
+2 Coins
All other players with five or more cards in their hands must discard a treasure card or reveal a hand with no treasures

Villa
Action
+2 Actions
+1 Coin
+1 Buy

Gold Rush
Cost: 5
Action – Treasure
Gain a gold
- - - - - - - -
Worth one coin for every gold you have in play

Note: Action-Treasure Cards played during the action phase also have their treasure effect during the buy phase. If you play Action-Treasure cards during the buy phase you do not get the benefit of the action

Hunting Dog
Action
Discard a card from your hand. Gain a different, non-victory card costing the same amount from the supply.

Refrigerated Goods
Action
+1 Action
You may play Victory Cards from your hand. +1 Coin for each victory card played in this manner.

Revolution
Action – Attack
All players (including you) reveal and thrash the top card of their deck. All players (including you) may then gain a card whose cost is two less than the card they thrashed or a card that costs zero.

Steam Engine
Action
+2 Cards
+3 Actions
While this card is in play, gain a curse whenever you buy a non-action card

Taxman
Action – Attack
All other players must either reveal and discard a treasure card or show a hand with no treasure. For each treasure card revealed in this manner you may either gain a copy of the revealed card into your hand OR all other players gain the revealed card

Machine Gun
Cost: 6
Action - Reaction
+1 Buy
Trash as many cards as you like. +1 Coin for each card trashed in this manner
- - - - - - - - - - -
You may reveal this from your hand to gain cards from opponents attacks into your hand instead of their usual locations

Nationalists
Victory
Worth 1VP for each copy of the most common action card in your deck

Standardised Goods
Action
+1 Action
+1 Coin
+1 Buy
Reveal your hand. Reveal cards from your deck until a revealed card shares a name with a card in your hand. Put the matching card in your hand discarding all other revealed cards
- - - - - - -
While this card is in play, when you buy an action card, you may choose to gain an additional copy of the card bought.

World Fair
Action – Victory
+2 Cards
+2 Actions
+2 Buys
You may only play one World Fair a turn
- - - - - - - -
2 VP

Barracks
Cost: 7
Action - Victory
+3 Cards
+1 Coin
+1 Buy
- - - - - - - - -
1 VP for every two attack cards in your deck
- - - - - - - - -
When you gain this, each opponent gains a copper
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 07:05:27 pm by Michaelf7777777 »

FireChipmunks

• Swindler
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion Industrialisation
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 12:16:57 am »

Pub - I don't think this is necessarily unbalanced, but I don't see it as being tremendously interesting. Woodcutter achieves pretty much the same purpose as this card, only this is useful in even less situations. I'm not saying its weak compared to Woodcutter, I'm saying it doesn't add anything to the game. Most decks won't care if they get +2buys or +1 buy, and the ones that do need more buys are able to afford something better than this. If this were the only card in a set with +buy, it would be useful, but I don't see it being more fun or more interesting than a woodcutter.

Retirement Village - I think this is actually a bit underpowered. I admit, I used to think a 2-dollar card with +2 Actions would be balanced, but then Crossroads came out, and it gives 3 actions AND has a potentially very powerful drawing effect. So, if you're going to make a card with only 2 actions, I think it should have something more powerful on it than just a +buy. When you draw this, you've effectively got a hand of 4 cards, and that makes it a lot harder to put together an action chain than if you had a village with +1 card on it. The buy is nice, but I don't think this card would help create any strong decks as it is.

Rotten Borough - This one is really interesting, but I think it might be a bit too powerful. I'm imagining a situation where you start 2/5 and open with this, and mountebank. So, every time you play this, you guarantee yourself the mountebank next turn. It would get weaker if you bought other actions, but if you played it with just 1 other action, it would be like a cheaper scheme that you can open with on 2/5. And, if you were building an action deck that used conspirators, scrying pools, etc, this could help you cycle through your coppers and estates really easily. This might be better off at 3$, and even then I'm not sure how it compares to scheme. Scheme guarantees you an action the next turn, but so do this, and this also discards your useless cards. So it might even be good at 4$. I'm not sure. Its certainly a great idea though.

Telescope - I like this one. It seems balanced to me.

Colonist - I guess the obvious comparison here is Bureaucrat. This gains you a silver on your deck, but instead of the attack, it gives 1$ and 1 buy. And there are rare instances (or at endgame) where you might want to use it for an estate. The effect makes it seem like a slightly worse woodcutter, but you don't usually need a woodcutter's +buy until later, and later, you don't want the silvers anymore. So I don't think this is undercosted at 3.

Diplomat - This seems really powerful. If you look at other powerful 3/4 cost attacks like ambassador and sea hag, you'll see they don't give you any bonus, thus they limit the opportunities you get early on to buy good cards. But this gives your opponent two junk cards, and it starts giving you silver so that you can easily build up to getting 5$ cards or golds. Plus it has a reaction.

Factory Town - Its a village that also trashes a card. That is very very powerful. The only other cantrip trasher is Upgrade, and that costs 5$. This does the same thing, except you don't gain a better card, but it gives a second action instead. The only thing balancing it out is that you can't really use it to set up large action chains, since you'll eventually run out of cards to trash. Still, these would be an amazing opener. Needs to be priced at at least 4.

Luddite - I don't really see this as being very useful. It would only work in setups with workshop, ironworks, and lots of cheap cantrips. Otherwise, you'd be getting only 1 VP with it most of the time, and you'd be trashing a valuable action to do it. This needs a very specific type of card in the setup to work, and even then, it seems very slow and inefficient.

Policeman - It's basically masquerade, but stronger. Sure, it can't do all the tricks that masquerade can, but masquerade will often read "+2 Cards, trash a card" and this is stronger than that. The only thing that balances it out is that later on, it becomes much riskier to play. Still, I have a feeling this is overpowered. I mean, this is 2 of steward's options at once.

School - This would be incredibly powerful in any setup with 2/3$ cantrips. Play it and you get two pawns, two wishing wells, two oases, etc. Even more powerful in setups with vineyard, conspirator, scrying pool, etc, setups where workshop or ironworks are good. I can't imagine anyone not opening with this if the setup had hamlet, pawn, village, menagerie, etc

Crowded Cities - Also very strong. This is basically a witch for 1$ cheaper that allows players to use estates as 1-shot reactions. Would be a must-buy, even moreso than witch/mountebank/sea hag already are.

Death of God - I can't imagine anyone ever having enough curses in their hand to make this useful. You'd need two curses to make this worth 2$, which is the bare minimum effect that a 4$ card should have. Without that, this is a terminal copper, or a terminal nothing. In fact, secret chamber turns those curses into $ too, and its 2$ cheaper and works on other cards too. So, this card's effect is pretty much worse than that in almost all situations. And you also have the problem that in a game with no curses, this does nothing. The victory points are negligable. This would be worth 2VP if you lost the cursing race, and 4$ for 2 VP is not really a big deal. And if you've tied curses, then this gives no more VP than an estate.

Field Nurse - Again, I can't see any situation where you'd have enough curses in your hand for this to be useful. You have no way of reliably getting more than 1-2 curses into your hand. The only way this might have a good effect is if you take all 10 curses, in which case you've already got a huge problem and this card isn't going to help you overcome it ; its too slow for that. And I'm not sure why this has a +buy.

Gong Farmer - This is way too powerful if there are no cards in the trash. Everyone would race for them, and then the game would never end because players would ignore victory cards and just aim to play these as many times as possible. Anyway, cards that use the trash are otherwise too situational. The on-buy effect would be a cool attack for buying what is basically a cantrip, but the cards actual effect would only be useful in games with a select few trashing cards. So, this is too situational if you look at the effects that deal with the trash, and if there is no trash, this becomes...well, basically the strongest card in the game.

Jail - The comparison here would be to militia. This is a militia that has only 1$, but gives a buy. In most cases, that is already weaker than militia. AND it allows your opponent to choose which attack they get hit by, making this even weaker. A +buy can be better than a second $, but only later in the game, which makes this a worse opener than militia in most situations. The reason torturer works with its two choices is that its easy to chain them together with the +3 cards effect, making it possible to hit your opponent with the attack you want. With this, its harder to play multiples in a turn, and the attack becomes weaker as a result.

Tavern - In most situations, this will be a card that gives you +1$, and a free moat the next turn, bringing you up to a 7 card hand. Play this with markets or worker's villages and it becomes even more powerful. And, if you actually need the buys, this isn't much worse than a woodcutter. This could be costed at 5 and it would be ok. I mean, it's basically a duration smithy with a +1$ as it is now, which makes it better than smithy in most cases.

Unions - Seems strictly better than cutpurse to me, except for the fact that you can't play two in a turn. As it is, though, this has the same effect as cutpurse early on, and later on it might even make them discard silvers (or golds)

Villa - I think this is overcosted at 4. A village that doesn't give a card draw makes it much harder to chain actions, since you have one less card to work with. This is like fishing village atm, except that it exchanges the duration effect for a buy. And fishing village's duration effect is much more powerful than a single buy, usually. This could be costed at 3 and it would work, though it might be too similar to fishing village at that point.

Gold Rush - Just the action part of this is very strong. Explorer only gains you a gold if you have a province in hand, this would gain you a gold every time you play it. The treasure part is a bit weak early on, and later on would be worth around 1-2$ every turn. I feel this might work better if it used silvers and gave you silvers instead.

Hunting Dog - Looks good. Having to discard a card to gain another card is a bit slow, so it would depend on how fast the setup is. Sure, using this to gain a 5$ card would be strong, but that means discarding one from your hand, which would slow you down a lot, but for more of a bonus later. I think this works. It leaves you with only a 3-card hand though, after you play it and discard a card. And it uses up your action to do so. So I think this might be better if it had some other effect, either 2$ or +2 cards, or +1 action.

Refrigerated Goods - Um, I hate to tell you this, but this is a secret chamber that only works on victory cards, for 3$ more. Its really really weak. It would usually be no better than a silver.

Revolution - Its just too random. There's no way to incorporate strategy in this, and it could trash one player's province while trashing someone else's copper.

Steam Engine - Really powerful. You could use this to set up a huge action chain really easily. It can't get non-actions, sure, but it could still be used to buy lots of grand markets, goons, conspirators, markets, rabbles, ghost ships, witches, etc. You'd be nearly unstoppable.

Taxman - I kind of like this one. The attack is like cutpurse, but its a 5, so you can only get it later on, when coppers aren't as valuable. However, if you started 5/2, this would be really good. The secondary effect is very much like jester, though since your opponents will most likely reveal a copper, there is only a very low chance that you can gain a gold from this. This works fine in 2-player games, imo, but with more than that...do they get 3 coppers if they all reveal a copper? That's very strong.

Machine Gun - At 6$, its a bit too late for the trashing effect to be very useful. Chapel trashes up to 4 cards, but you start with it, so you're likely to have 3+ cards worth trashing. But once you've achieved 6$, chances are most of your hands will have 3-4 silvers, actions, etc, and you won't be able to trash more than 2 cards at a time with this. I don't really understand the reaction. I think you're saying it lets you gain cards into your hand instead of your discard pile? So you could gain a curse into your hand and then trash it? That is cool, but I think the card needs something to make it a bit more powerful.

Nationalists - Um...I think this is too strong. Buy 10 pawns and this becomes a colony for 6$. Get only 6 of them and its still a 6$ province. This would work tremendously well in any setup with a good cantrip action or two.

Standardised Goods - For 1$ more than a market, this adds a super-haggler effect. I think its too strong as it is, and I don't really know which part of the effect to remove to make it better. Being able to gain a second 5$ card for free is a very strong effect. This could work without ANY of the basic effects, just the part under the line.

World Fair - I think this card would be a must-buy. 2VP in a cantrip is really strong. Its limited by the fact that you can only play one per turn, but I think if this was in a setup, I would do everything I could to build a deck that just cycles as fast as possible to get to this. And I'd buy 2 of them and they probably still wouldn't collide often enough to make it a problem.

Barracks - I think this works. The card's effect is a decent combination of smithy/woodcutter or whatever. For 7$, it would be a bit weak, but it also gives out one copper, and is worth 2VP. So its sort of like a little bit of everything. For 7$, I think its fine. Maybe I'm wrong.

I got a bit lazy towards the end because I realized this is a really long list of cards, but yeah, overall I think a lot of these cards have power issues, but there are also a lot of really cool ideas, and I don't think any of them wouldn't work with a bit of tweaking.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1379
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 01:43:31 pm »

School
Action
+1 Action
You do realize that the first player to play one of these will empty the pile, right?
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 01:48:08 pm »

School
Action
+1 Action
You do realize that the first player to play one of these will empty the pile, right?
CAN empty the pile. But a deck full of these isn't going to have much buying power.
But on the other hand... on any board with 3 possible targets for this card, you have to start defensively buying green on like... well maybe like turn 1. Which is really bad for the game

ShuffleLuck

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 02:56:49 pm »

School
Action
+1 Action
CAN empty the pile. But a deck full of these isn't going to have much buying power.
But on the other hand... on any board with 3 possible targets for this card, you have to start defensively buying green on like... well maybe like turn 1. Which is really bad for the game

Imagine this card with Great Hall on the board. Turns one and two, you buy School. After the reshuffle, you empty the School pile and half the great hall pile. Before you know it, the estate pile is gone as well, and that's gg. Maybe 6 or 7 turns on average to end the game?

This type of thing would also happen with pawn, or any cheap cantrip (such as oasis). Not quite as unstoppable as great hall (because without the VP from great hall, a few duchies could counter the estate rush), but still pretty insane.

Edit: Also,
Field Nurse
Action - Reaction
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
Trash any number of curses from your hand. Gain a card costing equal or less than the number of curses trashed
- - - - - - -
When a card is trashed from your deck, discard pile, hand or play area, reveal this card to put the trashed card in your hand instead

This card would be really strong in certain situations. Like, imagine apprentice, or bishop, or forge... so many possibilities.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 03:03:05 pm by ShuffleLuck »

DrHades

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 03:53:42 pm »

School
Action
+1 Action

Imagine this card with Great Hall on the board. Turns one and two, you buy School. After the reshuffle, you empty the School pile and half the great hall pile. Before you know it, the estate pile is gone as well, and that's gg. Maybe 6 or 7 turns on average to end the game?

This type of thing would also happen with pawn, or any cheap cantrip (such as oasis). Not quite as unstoppable as great hall (because without the VP from great hall, a few duchies could counter the estate rush), but still pretty insane.

Imagine this card with Scheme and 1 other target on the board. "Okay, so I was lucky to play School first, so I buy Province this turn and with no need of any extra luck end the game in my next turn. Your move."

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 03:55:33 pm »

School
Action
+1 Action

Imagine this card with Scheme and 1 other target on the board. "Okay, so I was lucky to play School first, so I buy Province this turn and with no need of any extra luck end the game in my next turn. Your move."
With that board, I don't see how anybody's gonna have the time to buy something as expensive as province...

DrHades

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +79
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 03:58:59 pm »

School
Action
+1 Action

With that board, I don't see how anybody's gonna have the time to buy something as expensive as province...
All I need is School, Scheme and an action that cost $3 or less and gives me at least $1...Schemes will draw me all 7 Coppers...so as I said - buy Province on turn 3, end the game on turn 4  ;D

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +937
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 04:15:39 pm »

This is a lot, so I'll confine my comments to the ones that stand out to me.

Pub
Action
+1 Coin
+2 Buys

When you want lots of Buys (e.g., Gardens, Goons, Vineyard, Silk Road) and can't get them any better ways (Worker's Village, Market, maybe Pawn) this is pretty great.  But those boards are going to be few and far between.  Extra buys often go wasted, and this probably just means more buys go wasted -- particularly since it only gives you $1 extra to spend with them.  I'm not opposed to a +2 Buys card, but I really think it needs to be on a card that synergizes with fat decks and/or high money hands in some additional way.

Telescope
Action – Duration
+1 Card
+1 Action
At the start of your next turn, you may discard your hand, if you do +4 Cards

I like this one, but I wonder about its cost.  The other $2 cantrips include:  (1) Pearl Diver, notoriously weak; (2) Pawn, which doesn't do anything else if you use it as a cantrip.

The thing is, it's probably fine for $2 in terms of power level, but at the $2 price tier it's probably more important to look at how the game will play if people have extra buys and a few coins to burn on them.  In that event, this pile will go fast -- not because anybody actually wants Telescopes but because, hey, why not pick up some with spare cash?  At $3, this won't happen quite as frequently (while still being a pile that's easy to deplete for a 3-pile ending).

As far as the function of the card itself is concerned, I like this variation on Navigator.  Whereas Navigator can be used in combos to pick the cards for a subsequent draw, this one also makes a nice counter to discard attacks...my point being that although they're very similar, they have their own unique niche.

Colonist
Action
+1 Coin
+1 Buy
Gain either a Silver or an Estate on top of your deck

I don't get this one.  What does a Colonist strategy look like?  A single Colonist in a Big Money deck is the only non-destructive use I can think of, and there are plenty of more interesting X's for BM+X.  If you have an engine, the Silver will gum it up.  If you don't, you have to pick your terminals sparingly, and this one won't look very good on most boards.

It would be different if this card did something others don't.  Herbalist is a pretty weak card, but when you want its treasure-return feature, you need Herbalist.  But Bureaucrat and Jack of All Trades will get you Silver, and in different ways so will Trader and Haggler and Talisman and Horn of Plenty and simply buying Silver outright.  The Estate option will basically never be used unless its the last turn of the game.

Diplomat
Action – Attack – Reaction
Gain a Silver
All opponents gain two copper
- - - - - - -
You may reveal and discard this card to remain unaffected by an opponent’s attack card

This is brutally strong, I think.  Junking attacks are among the most powerful in the game, and the ability to sabotage someone else's deck while improving your own basically forces your opponents into a mirror match.  Then again, the fact that you're gaining Silver will slow down your ability to play these a lot, so at least it's self-correcting in that sense.  I'd probably cost this at $4.

My other reservation is purely personal:  I'm not fond of games that force you into Big Money strategies (actions are so much more interesting), and this card basically forces everybody into one.  If either you or your opponents try an engine with this card in play, it'll get junked up by this card.

Factory Town
Action
+1 Card
You may trash a card from your hand, if you do +2 Actions

Too strong, I think.  If you open double Factory Town, trash down, trash one of your Factory Towns with the other, then treat the remaining Factory Town as a dead card -- never playing it at all -- then that's probably reason enough to price it at $4.  Non-terminal trashing is really really good, and all the more so if it helps you replenish your hand a bit as well (replacing itself in your hand, though not the trashed card).

School
Action
+1 Action

Others already pointed out the logistical problem with this, which is that 3-pile endings can happen pretty much instantly:  drain this pile on turn 3, then drain 2 other piles with all your Schools at your leisure.  It may not be a great strategy a lot of the time, but with Great Halls on the board, probably whichever player gets to play School first wins.

Gaining action cards to hand is rife with subtle little problems like these, which is probably why Donald has (to date) thrown out all the Remodel variants he's tested that did that.

Field Nurse
Action - Reaction
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
- - - - - - -

The reaction part is insane.  Combo this with any trash-for-benefit (Salvager, Bishop, Remodel, Apprentice, etc) and you can't run amok.  The action part is almost worth $4 all by itself, though not quite, because you're probably never going to want this as a Curse trasher.  Why?  Because most of the time all you can do is trade them in for Coppers.  If you manage to draw this with enough Curses to get something useful back, you've already lost.

Gong Farmer
Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
If there are no cards in the trash, +1VP
You may gain a card from the trash into your hand
- - - - - - - - - -
When you gain this shuffle all the cards in the trash and reveal the top card and choose whether you gain a copy of the card or all opponents do

In a great many games, this is simply an infinite-VP card.  It'll easy lead to broken game states, where the optimal strategy is not to do anything but play a bunch of these each turn.  I'm convinced it's impossible to make an interesting trash-picking card (though there was a thread here a while back where someone got a lot closer than I would have thought possible), but the trash-picking part isn't the main problem here.  Best to leave the trash in the trash, and avoid non-terminal VP chip earners too.

Tavern
Action
+1 Coin
+2 Buys
For every unused buy this turn, +1 Card during the clean up phase when drawing your hand for next turn

I mentioned that Pub was too weak/situational at $2, but this, the same card but with the last line added, is too strong for the exact same reason that Pub was too weak:  Providing 2 extra buys but only 1 extra coin is going to mean that the extra buys go wasted most of the time.  What's probably going to happen with this is that someone playing Tavern winds up with, I dunno, $3 to $9 to spend, buys one card, doesn't even WANT to use the extra buys and now ESPECIALLY doesn't want to waste them, because each one is a free Laboratory next turn.  So at minimum that's two Laboratories next turn, for just $4.

It's possible that the fact that this is only a terminal Copper this turn will make up for the power boost next turn, but that's a heck of a power boost all the same.

Unions
Action - Attack
+2 Coins
All other players with five or more cards in their hands must discard a treasure card or reveal a hand with no treasures

A Cutpurse most of the time, but trades being able to hit Silvers and Golds sometimes with not being stackable.  This is probably fine.

Villa
Action
+2 Actions
+1 Coin
+1 Buy

Almost certainly too weak.  Although it's only one coin off from being a Festival, that actually makes it a whole lot weaker.  (Note the price difference between Copper and Silver.)  I'd probably want to price this at $2, frankly.  It's a touch strong there, maybe, but a touch weak at $3 (losing Fishing Village's coin and action next turn for only a buy this turn).

Refrigerated Goods
Action
+1 Action
You may play Victory Cards from your hand. +1 Coin for each victory card played in this manner.

Best just to have the Victory cards discarded, rather than played.  Otherwise you'll get into rules hang-ups with Action-Victory hybrids.

This is probably too weak, too, although potentially strong with a large hand size.  But compare to Secret Chamber.  Adding +1 Action possibly compensates for losing the reaction part and only being able to use this on Victory cards, but there isn't a $3 price hike in there at all.  It anti-synergizes a bit, too, since to get the most out of it, you need to discard a lot of cards, and if you're able to do that, you're not as likely to need the +1 Action in the first place.

During the mid-game, this is probably a purely dead card; in the late game, you're lucky if you get better than a terminal Silver out of it.  Compare with Baron:  you only need to collide it with one Victory card (admittedly, it has to be an Estate), but when you do you get +$4 out of it.  And a +Buy, whether you do or not.  And Baron is cheaper.

Revolution
Action – Attack
All players (including you) reveal and thrash the top card of their deck. All players (including you) may then gain a card whose cost is two less than the card they thrashed or a card that costs zero.

So, Saboteur that hits you too?  No thanks!  If it happens to every player, why would I ever buy this?  How could I ever secure an advantage from it?  If I even wanted to have this effect (and why would I?) I'm better off if someone else gets one instead of me.  Then they can waste the buy on getting one, and the card slot and action on playing one.

Steam Engine
Action
+2 Cards
+3 Actions
While this card is in play, gain a curse whenever you buy a non-action card

Only ever buy Steam Engines and money-earning terminals, then buy out the Provinces for a mega-turn.  The curses won't matter.

Machine Gun
Action - Reaction
+1 Buy
Trash as many cards as you like. +1 Coin for each card trashed in this manner
- - - - - - - - - - -
You may reveal this from your hand to gain cards from opponents attacks into your hand instead of their usual locations

The reaction part is problematic.  What's a "card from opponents attack"?  I assume you mean, for example, a Curse from a Witch, but it's not necessarily always clear where a card is coming from.  Technically it doesn't come from the attack anyway.  It comes from the supply.  And if a Curse, which you gained because your opponent played a Witch, counts, how about the Silver you gain instead because you first revealed Trader?  Also, how about this hypothetical card:

Witch Embassy
$4 - Action/Attack
+2 Cards
Each other player gains a curse.
--
When you gain this, each other player gains a Silver.

Does the Silver you get when your opponent buys a Witch Embassy count?  What if your opponent ambassadors you a Cache?  Do you get to reveal this card on the Cache only, or also on the two Coppers that come with it?

Reaction triggers are complicated enough -- witness the many long and confusing threads about it in the Rules forum -- that it's best just to stick with simple triggers.  This probably suffices:  "When you gain a card during another player's turn, you may reveal this from your hand.  If you do, put that card in your hand."

Standardised Goods
Action
+1 Action
+1 Coin
+1 Buy
Reveal your hand. Reveal cards from your deck until a revealed card shares a name with a card in your hand. Put the matching card in your hand discarding all other revealed cards
- - - - - - -
While this card is in play, when you buy an action card, you may choose to gain an additional copy of the card bought.

This is almost certainly broken.  Basically the action portion is a Market where the card you draw is not necessarily the top card of your deck, right?  It's fairly common, when Market is in play, to have multiple Markets played per turn.  And when you have the "while this is in play" clause, it will be more common, because you're going to want to try to play as many of these as you can.  It won't be long before people are getting 5 Festivals one turn, 5 Conspirators next turn, and so on.  Plus, it feeds off itself.  So you buy one of these at first, and maybe next time it comes up, you buy 2, and so on.  Grand Market is already like that (having some means being able to buy a larger number later), but the race is constrained by the no-Copper clause and -- more to the point -- the fact that you have to be able to afford each copy of it you get each turn.

With this, well, if you buy a $6 card, then this card gives you an extra +$6.  That's pretty wild.

Contrast with how other cards allowing you to gain action cards are limited:

1. Talisman: $4 is the price cap, and most of the power actions cost $5+.
2. Haggler: Terminal action, so it's hard to play multiples, and only gets you a card costing less than the purchased card.
3. Border Village: Offset by the fact that you're playing $6 for a Village.
4. Horn of Plenty: Have to work to construct a deck that can play enough cards to make this gain the power cards.

Here, you have (1) no cost cap, (2) a non-terminal that's easy to stack, (3) semi-decent if slightly overpriced value even without the card-gaining clause; and (4) no tricky deck-building required to get it to fire.

World Fair
Action – Victory
+2 Cards
+2 Actions
+2 Buys
You may only play one World Fair a turn
- - - - - - - -
2 VP

If Golem turns up two copies of World Fair, which rule to you break?  Golem's or World Fair's?  Better to say "If this is the first time you've played a World Fair this turn..." and qualify that way.

Even so, this is STILL a must-buy card every time it's on the table.  Maybe you buy extras and maybe not, but that first copy IS a must-buy.  That means the card narrows the strategy space of the game, rather than opening it up by providing additional options.  So I'm not a fan of the card on that basis.  If you want to pack power into a card, it's much better to make it conditional on the right circumstances (Horn of Plenty can gain Provinces, Secret Chamber can give you +$15) or with a drawback (Tactician requires you to discard this turn's hand, Bishop lets other players trash for free) rather than simply limiting how many times you can reap the full effect.

Barracks
Cost: 7
Action - Victory
+3 Cards
+1 Coin
+1 Buy
- - - - - - - - -
1 VP for every two attack cards in your deck
- - - - - - - - -
When you gain this, each opponent gains a copper

Just the vanilla bonuses are worth $7.  Adding the other stuff makes the card quite a bit more powerful.  I'd also say that the "worth 1 VP for every two attack cards" bit is problematic simply because it's often going to appear on boards without any attack cards.  But since that part is gravy on top of what is already strong enough, it's not as big of a deal.  But I really think you're overestimating how strong a $7 card can be.

Have you playtested any of these cards?  My guess is no -- I think if you did, even in a solitaire game you play with yourself just to see how they work, you'd be surprised at the power levels of several of these.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 20 queries.