Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 30  All

Author Topic: Secret Hitler I [Round 12]  (Read 73292 times)

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
Re: Secret Hitler I [Round 1]
« Reply #200 on: January 13, 2016, 06:09:57 pm »

gkrieg is totes fascist by the way.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: January 13, 2016, 06:20:36 pm »

He's good

That you would say that does not exactly surprise me...
Would you be more "surprised" if I lied and said fascist?

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: January 13, 2016, 06:22:59 pm »

I am pretty sure that either faust or Tables are fascist just based off of their chattiness. 

Ah. Right. Because this game would go so much better if we all just lurked around and did nothing like you.

I haven't been nearly as lurky as other people.  Why single me out?

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: January 13, 2016, 06:38:26 pm »

I am pretty sure that either faust or Tables are fascist just based off of their chattiness. 

Ah. Right. Because this game would go so much better if we all just lurked around and did nothing like you.

I haven't been nearly as lurky as other people.  Why single me out?

Because the other don't try to discourage activity like you do.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 13, 2016, 06:38:43 pm »

He's good

That you would say that does not exactly surprise me...
Would you be more "surprised" if I lied and said fascist?

Well, yes.

EgorK

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 13, 2016, 06:51:08 pm »

Actually both I and tables did similar mistake in assumptions, namely we calculated from the viewpoint of spectator. Liberal or hitler apriori should be 5/8, fascist - 3/8. Which makes Arch little more scummy. I'll update all calculations when I'll be at computer

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 13, 2016, 08:06:26 pm »

Current Game State

Round 3

Turn Order, current President or candidate in bold, current Chancellor or candidate in italic:

gkrieg13
Archetype
Tables
A Drowned Kernel
ghostofmars
Hydrad
Grujah
faust
EgorK

Liberal Policies enacted: 0
Fascist Policies enacted: 1
Next Executive Power: Investigation (#2)
Recent Failed Governments: 0

Deck: 14 cards
Discard: 2 cards

Deck and discard contain (total): 10 Fascist, 6 Liberal

Fate of the World:  Unknown

Tables is now the Presidential candidate.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 14, 2016, 02:01:03 am »

Actually both I and tables did similar mistake in assumptions, namely we calculated from the viewpoint of spectator. Liberal or hitler apriori should be 5/8, fascist - 3/8. Which makes Arch little more scummy. I'll update all calculations when I'll be at computer

For a fascist, the probability is either exact 1 or exactly 0...

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 14, 2016, 02:02:04 am »

And don't bother with all the numbers... we get it; Arch is scummy. Whether he is 62% scum or 67% scum doesn't really matter.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 14, 2016, 02:36:52 am »

Some of us like doing numbers though faust :3. But yes, I calculated from the viewpoint of an outsider, it doesn't change the numbers too much except making Arch more scummy, as EgorK says.

Don't have time right now to reply to much, but I do agree that discouraging activity is scummy. Liberals want as much activity as possible (that's actually relevant). And the more you post, the more likely you are to slip up and say something bad which is another reason activity is good - we want the fascists to slip up and say something bad, while liberals are less able to uh 'scumslip' for hopefully obvious reasons.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: January 14, 2016, 04:51:52 am »

Some of us like doing numbers though faust :3.

Yes, I think about 90-93% of f.ds posters like doing numbers.

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 14, 2016, 09:18:44 am »

I wasn't discouraging activity. I was just saying that I bet one of the super active players are fascist. Faust likes to control the game either way, so his activity isn't a scum tell. That's why I was suspecting tables.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 14, 2016, 10:57:09 am »

Forum Games are far more skippable than you think.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 14, 2016, 12:49:29 pm »

Forum Games are far more skippable than you think.

Vote: Faust
Vote: Kirian

I wasn't discouraging activity. I was just saying that I bet one of the super active players are fascist. Faust likes to control the game either way, so his activity isn't a scum tell. That's why I was suspecting tables.

Correct me if I'm wrong and accidentally setting up a strawman, but is this what you're stating?

At least one highly active player (Faust or me) is likely fascist
Faust normally plays like this.
Therefore I am likely fascist.

There's a number of errors in your reasoning here. The first point is technically valid, but that's just because out of any two randomly picked people there's likely to be a fascist - the odds of any two randomly picked people being liberal is 5/9*4/8 = 5/18 (about 28%), and that drops to 4/8*3/7 = 3/14 (about 21%) if you work on the knowledge that you are yourself liberal, which of course everyone will claim they are. There's nothing particularly special about Faust and I being the most active players other than we happen to be the most active players.

The second point and third point is... well I presume it's true, everyone seems to be saying it and it'd be a crazy thing to lie about. But in that case it's a non-tell, not a liberal tell. And that means even if you stuck with your first point, it doesn't tell you anything directly about Faust.

Anyway, let's move on to my nominations. I can't pick ghost, since he was recently chancellor. I'm warming up somewhat to Faust being liberal, I feel like he defended himself sincerely and honestly and looking back at his older posts I'm not really getting a scummy vibe any more, I feel like I sorta just overjumped on miscommunications. ADK I still have a decent read on, but he's also next in line, and so he'd be a very risky pick. EgorK has been given a liberal read by Arch, which does mean something. It's... tempting to pick Egor based on it, and see what happen, but it has a decent chance of backfiring. Who else? Despite the above, I'm actually not really suspicious of Gkrieg. Bad logic is not a scumtell, it's just an I-screwed-up-tell. But he's also willing to change his opinions fairly quickly based on information coming in, and that tends to be a good sign to me (after all liberals are trying to work everything out from scratch, so it makes sense for them to reconsider everything. Fascist know everything anyway, so are just trying to blend in and get other people looking scummy, which tends to not have quite as much suspicion switching).

So... right now I'm considering out of those three: EgorK, Faust, Gkrieg.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 14, 2016, 02:06:52 pm »

So... right now I'm considering out of those three: EgorK, Faust, Gkrieg.

Well, the good thing about Egor is even if he is a fascist, it would be very risky for him to enact a fascist policy, because he would take Archetype down with him. I am of course also not opposed to getting the seat myself.

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 14, 2016, 02:38:30 pm »

I'm really just trying to figure things out, which is hard to do with so little information.  I think my statement that faust was scummy came partially from feeling attacked for no reason.  I haven't been in a government, and my voting has been very liberal.  I also haven't been able to figure out why my government didn't pass.  I have played a few IRL games of this and the first government almost always passes because no one has enough information to be against it.  Unlike resistance, there will only ever be 2 people in a government, which means we really just need to find people that we really trust, which we can't do without the information from voting and policy passing.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 14, 2016, 04:12:12 pm »

the first government almost always fails because no one has enough information to be for it.

FTFY. In the first mission if you're voting yes blindly there's a decent high chance you're voting yes for a mission with a fascist on, even if you assume Hitler is playing liberal. Just getting a little information from voting patterns and the like helps make that first decision more informed.

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 14, 2016, 04:14:07 pm »

the first government almost always fails because no one has enough information to be for it.

FTFY. In the first mission if you're voting yes blindly there's a decent high chance you're voting yes for a mission with a fascist on, even if you assume Hitler is playing liberal. Just getting a little information from voting patterns and the like helps make that first decision more informed.

I agree, but more information is gathered when you see what cards should be left in the deck, and what people say is left in the deck right before the shuffle.  You can often tell which president was lying about drawing 3F just based off what the last president draws.

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 14, 2016, 04:16:06 pm »

I agree, but more information is gathered when you see what cards should be left in the deck, and what people say is left in the deck right before the shuffle.  You can often tell which president was lying about drawing 3F just based off what the last president draws.

Of course it won't always be perfect information, because we don't get to see the results.  I don't think voting blindly is really all that bad.  If you aren't voting blindly yes, then there isn't really much voting pattern to look at, because you know some liberals are making decisions like they know something, and that fascists are making decisions because they do know something, which are hard to distinguish from each other.

ghostofmars

• Moneylender
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 14, 2016, 06:38:10 pm »

I haven't been in a government, and my voting has been very liberal.  I also haven't been able to figure out why my government didn't pass.  I have played a few IRL games of this and the first government almost always passes because no one has enough information to be against it.
I wouldn't agree with your claim that you voted very liberal. You approved a government that you were not part of that enacted a fascist law. The only person that can easily claim that they voted liberal is Grujah.

However, the voting pattern (from other players against your government) makes it less likely that you are fascist.

Regarding whether one should always pass/reject the first government. It depends a bit on the group meta. The advantage of choosing always the first (or always the last) is that the fascists cannot push one of theirs as president. It is just random. The disadvantage is that you do not learn anything from the voting pattern.

For me there was a simple reason not to vote for your government, which is similar to Tables' reason to vote against Archetype. When your government would be rejected, I would be a potential president in round 2 instead of round 3.

Finally, ADK as you are a potential president this turn, would you mind suggesting your shadow cabinet?

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 14, 2016, 07:38:51 pm »

I would nominate Hydrad. I would under no circumstances nominate Archetype or gkrieg.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 15, 2016, 03:36:35 am »

I would nominate Hydrad. I would under no circumstances nominate Archetype or gkrieg.

Seriously, Hydrad? Why not Egor?

Hydrad

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hidrad
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 15, 2016, 04:51:41 am »

hmm So when do we start voting again?

Hurrah!

Good point though.
For anyone else, such a statement would be a scum tell.  For Hydrad, it's simply a tell that you're reading something from Hydrad.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 15, 2016, 01:24:08 pm »

Hydrad seems liberal to me. Although I might nominate you if I thought that had a better chance of going through.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: January 15, 2016, 01:50:26 pm »

Hydrad seems liberal to me. Although I might nominate you if I thought that had a better chance of going through.

... to repeat my question: Why not Egor?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 30  All

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 20 queries.