Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Author Topic: News on forthcoming expansions  (Read 50018 times)

kn1tt3r

• Minion
  • Respect: +278
    • View Profile
Re: News on forthcoming expansions
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2012, 02:11:29 am »

I like the name Dark Ages. It would have been a fitting name for the final expansion since Dominion would go literally go into Dark Ages with no new expansions coming out in the foreseeable future. And, 500 cards! Wow that is huge. It sounds like you wanted to make the last expansion something special. It kind of sucks RGG is changing the release schedule, but I am super excited for this years expansion. Also, VP cards and money with pictures sounds nice. Will Colonies and Platinums be included with this?

According to Donald's post on BGG it will contain Colonies, Platinums, and Potions.

Link please?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/8251138#8251138

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2012, 04:17:15 am »

I'm really looking forward now for the digital release and the Dark Ages Expansion. I shouldn't have read that. Now I just can't wait to get ~45 new Kingdom cards.
I'm really curious if the digital release will be updatable so it will include all 2 forthcoming expansions. I hope so.

I agree that Dark Ages somehow suggests expanding the curse theme. But if not, at least there will be really annoying attacks, as the theme hints at.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2012, 10:16:36 am »

I'm really looking forward now for the digital release and the Dark Ages Expansion. I shouldn't have read that. Now I just can't wait to get ~45 new Kingdom cards.
I'm really curious if the digital release will be updatable so it will include all 2 forthcoming expansions. I hope so.

I agree that Dark Ages somehow suggests expanding the curse theme. But if not, at least there will be really annoying attacks, as the theme hints at.

Yeah, Attacks definitely seems like a theme.  I don't think there'll be any tokens or mats, because there wouldn't be room for all the extra cards if there were.  It'll probably be a cards-only expansion like Hinterlands.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

MrFrog

• Baron
  • Shuffle iT Username: MrFrog
  • Respect: +101
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2012, 11:47:54 am »

'Dark Ages'... wouldn't that mean 25 kingdom cards and 200 blanks?  ::)

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2012, 11:56:50 am »
+4

rinkworks cannot be more excited.

rinkworks

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +937
    • View Profile
    • RinkWorks
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2012, 04:39:40 pm »
+1

So here's a thought about Dark Ages.  If there really were ~44 new kingdom cards, would they fit in the plastic storage tray?  A lot of space is wasted in the divisions between slots.  500 cards fit in Base and Intrigue, sure, but only because the Coppers, Silvers, Golds, Estates, and Curses are such fat packs that can slip into a single slot.

This (plus Donald's off-handed remark that the then-last expansion "has its own thing going on") makes me lean towards the thinking that Dark Ages will have some exotic sort of mechanic going on that will require it to have one or two packs of cards of more than 10 or 12.  Not that this would be it, but the long-abandoned idea of Confusion cards would be an example of this:  a new mechanic that requires a large stockpile of some other kind of card.

I see that as being much more likely than 44 new kingdom cards.   But we'll see.

rinkworks cannot be more excited.

Rock on!

ugasoft

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2012, 07:53:00 am »
+1

So here's a thought about Dark Ages.  If there really were ~44 new kingdom cards, would they fit in the plastic storage tray?  A lot of space is wasted in the divisions between slots.  500 cards fit in Base and Intrigue, sure, but only because the Coppers, Silvers, Golds, Estates, and Curses are such fat packs that can slip into a single slot.

I use standard dominion boxes (I've all expansions) just to proudly show how nerd I am. I keep them on my bookcase in an artistic way, showing my friends that I'm a dominiion fan... but cards, mats, tokens, stuffs are not in their original boxes anymore! I've special handmade boxes... I'd like to see published some "ad hoc" Dominion Card Boxes that can contain all ~2000 cards (+1000 in production with these two expansions I'm dying to wait for...).

tlloyd

• Tactician
  • Respect: +84
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2012, 10:09:22 pm »

The base cards in that product have art, full-card art. Copper with art, etc. So, while you can buy it to replace worn cards, or in order to play the game without having the main set or Intrigue, or to play with 5-6 without having both the main set and Intrigue, you can also get it if you are one of those people who thought the base cards should have art.

Donald, how many of the Provinces, Estates and Curses will there be? Enough for 5 or 6 players? Now that I'm thinking of it, are you supposed to have more than 12 Colonies if you play Prosperity with 5 or 6 players?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2012, 12:09:17 am »

Donald, how many of the Provinces, Estates and Curses will there be? Enough for 5 or 6 players? Now that I'm thinking of it, are you supposed to have more than 12 Colonies if you play Prosperity with 5 or 6 players?
The base cards product only supports 2-4 players. Obv. you can add it to Dominion or Intrigue to support 5-6. Supporting 4 players took 249 cards, and these numbers have to be round; we did not think most people would be thrilled paying for more cards they didn't need.

The Prosperity rulebook indicates that you have 12 Colonies for 3 or more players. That includes 5-6 players.

tlloyd

• Tactician
  • Respect: +84
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2012, 12:52:47 am »

The base cards product only supports 2-4 players. Obv. you can add it to Dominion or Intrigue to support 5-6. Supporting 4 players took 249 cards, and these numbers have to be round; we did not think most people would be thrilled paying for more cards they didn't need.

The Prosperity rulebook indicates that you have 12 Colonies for 3 or more players. That includes 5-6 players.

Thanks for the info. Mostly I'm trying to design a storage case and wanted to know how many cards there will be in the end. So other than the indeterminate number of future promo cards and the remote possibility of future expansions beyond Guilds, it looks like something approaching 3200 cards. Anyone care to confirm that?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 01:01:39 am by tlloyd »

^_^_^_^

• Minion
  • Crazy, You Have Been Warned
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2012, 08:22:08 pm »

I use standard dominion boxes (I've all expansions) just to proudly show how nerd I am. I keep them on my bookcase in an artistic way, showing my friends that I'm a dominiion fan... but cards, mats, tokens, stuffs are not in their original boxes anymore! I've special handmade boxes... I'd like to see published some "ad hoc" Dominion Card Boxes that can contain all ~2000 cards (+1000 in production with these two expansions I'm dying to wait for...).
This seems like a great idea. Donald get some people working on this ASAP!  ;D
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Doug Z
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Donald X
The cost to buy me is 5Copper. What's Your Cost?

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2219
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2012, 09:34:30 am »

it looks like something approaching 3200 cards. Anyone care to confirm that?

I've been meaning to sit down and calculate this. I'm glad someone else is going through that work, because my free time has just been sucked away by theatre. Stupid conflicting hobbies.
A man has no signature

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2012, 02:23:42 am »

Ugh, considering I caught on to Dominion just after Cornucopia came out, this feels somewhat similar to picking up A Song of Ice and Fire a couple years after Feast for Crows came out, though I'm certainly glad that Donald X is not George R R Martin and is actually able to put out a product more often than every five years.  What I'm getting at is that I was able to walk into so many expansions (or books) and devour them in quick succession, but now I have to wait.  I'm not sure if this is better or worse than starting off with the first item and waiting for each new entry...  I want Dark Ages/Winds of Winter nooowwwww....
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

ugasoft

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2012, 04:06:29 am »

Thank you Donald for your explanations.

My "problem" here is that I usually run "mid-size" tournaments in my house. I had all expansions on the market so far and I hat to play in more than 3 players (ok, I hate 3-players matches too).

My current setup, listed [num_players ___ comma separated players in each table, starting from "main table"]
3 (3)
4 (2,2)
5 (2,3)
6 (3,3 or 2,2,2 it depends how many noobs are in the tournament)
7 (2,2,3)
8 (2,3,3)
9 (3,3,3)
10+ sorry guys, it's impossible, too few cards :(

Problems:
- I can share low treasures (coppers, silvers and golds) among tables, relaxing the rule of empty piles over these piles (ok, with hinterlands traders and tunnel I may have some problems, not yet played in tournaments)
- I try to share Potions, I usually look at the kingdom cards and I give some potions here and there, if some table is running out of potions, I'll move froma table to another, or, in worst case, I use white cards
- I go somewhat crazy with low green cards... I had to produce for 3 tables 12 duchys, 12 provinces, something like 24 estates... I've printed them on papers and put the printed&cut cards in the sleeves of some unused kingdom card (imagine the setup of a tournament turn! I becoem skilled at it)
- I go utterly crazy with Colonies and Platinums... And we all love Colony Game

Conclusions:
- I can afford (and I will) another copy of the Base Dominion, but I don't want another Prosperity.
- I hope the "yet-to-come" Basic-Card-With-Art Expansion will contain more than 12 colony-platinum

Thank you for your time!

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2012, 05:58:13 pm »
+3

Nothing special, but here's just a quick update for the Base Cards on the official Rio Grande Games Page.
You can see the cover and the price:
http://www.riograndegames.com/games.html?id=419

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2012, 08:16:36 pm »

Nothing special, but here's just a quick update for the Base Cards on the official Rio Grande Games Page.
You can see the cover and the price:
http://www.riograndegames.com/games.html?id=419

Too bad the picture's so small...

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2012, 01:39:36 am »

The price seems reasonable. I can't wait to see what the cards look like in person.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2012, 11:51:56 am »

Given that the Base cards are supposed to be coming out this month, when do you think we'll start seeing the art for them?

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2012, 03:04:19 am »

I can't wait to see what the new Victory and Treasures look like. Shouldn't this be coming out any day.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25672
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2012, 08:21:04 pm »

Given that the Base cards are supposed to be coming out this month, when do you think we'll start seeing the art for them?
Probably not until it's out and someone scans them.

As of today Jay expects it "late March."

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2012, 08:26:54 pm »

Great, I'll expect it in May ;)

^_^_^_^

• Minion
  • Crazy, You Have Been Warned
  • Respect: +111
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 14, 2012, 09:09:39 pm »

I'll expect it in September
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Doug Z
"Chicken Chicken Chicken"-Donald X
The cost to buy me is 5Copper. What's Your Cost?

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 14, 2012, 09:18:20 pm »
+2

Well I for one have full faith in Jay and am expecting it in March ... of next year.

Fuu

• Bishop
  • Shuffle iT Username: Fuu
  • Respect: +87
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 14, 2012, 10:24:39 pm »
+1

I'm looking forward to learning what on earth a duchy looks like.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2012, 02:27:55 am »

But... but... that'll push back Dark Ages and just NO.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 21 queries.