Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: When to not play Vault  (Read 2077 times)

Biderman

• Coppersmith
  • Respect: +8
    • View Profile
When to not play Vault
« on: January 15, 2012, 11:44:34 am »

A 5/2 opener on a board with vault is verry powerful. But is it always the right move? There are a few 5 costs that could be better, like Montebank. So, my question is this:

The game just started and you go first. You see q Vault, but decide instead to buy...?

Basically, when is opening Vault not the best move. I'm especially interested to see if any 4 costs make the list... Do you buy Vault vs Gardens Workshop?

def

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +166
    • View Profile
Re: When to not play Vault
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 03:01:25 pm »

See councilroom for every opening that lists better there. Best should be Mint/Fool's Gold.
Vault/nothing is listed at 384, so what's the thought behind your claim that vault is so strong? Even opening Upgrade/nothing is listed higher. This alone is not enough to conclude that Vault really is the 384-best opening, but it says something. For single cards, I'd prefer Mountebank, Witch and Trading Post in most games.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3413
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 03:10:30 am »

Without proper trashers or other cursers, getting that first Curse in before your opponent's first reshuffle with IGG can be huge.

Then again Vault is a decent soft counter to it.

IGG openings aren't that high on the openings list, but I still like them. Perhaps too much...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 03:06:58 am by Davio »

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 04:17:31 am »

Vault is a great opening when vault+money is a good strategy (i.e. when there are no attacks, and where there is no way to build an engine that beat it). For such an engine to exist, there needs to be either an attack to slow the vaults or an alternative source of VPs, since the vault player can get to 5 provinces pretty quick.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +2221
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 10:30:30 am »

I would be less inclined to buy Vault when there are hand-reducing attacks out there. I'd be relying on using Vault to offset the damage caused by Militia or Ghost Ship while giving everyone else a benefit. That does not strike me as worthwhile in most situations.

Torturer is a funny situation, though. If my hand is something I want to hang onto, then gaining that Curse to my hand could actually benefit my Vault. It might be enough to push me to 8 or 11. But, that's dependent on those two cards you drew. Not exactly a sure enough bet to justify taking a Curse.
A man has no signature

jomini

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +768
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 12:18:29 pm »

There are a lot of times I'd take a lot of other things over vault:

Hand reducing attacks turn vault's always-gain-a-gold, get provinces easily into a lowly 5 coin hand.

Trashing is often better than vault. Upgrade, apprentice & trading post are all attractive ways to build up to megaturns.

I love governor's flexibility too much. I mean early in the game I can't hope for much more from vault than a gold. With governor, I can grab a gold and something else (e.g. a spy) to more than offset a silver.

Attacks are often better, most of the 5 coin attacks beat vault down hard.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.539 seconds with 20 queries.