Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: In Which Stef’s Forge outclasses Mercenary  (Read 1544 times)

JW

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: JW
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
In Which Stef’s Forge outclasses Mercenary
« on: December 22, 2015, 04:27:00 pm »
+2

Code: [Select]
Poor House, Urchin, Envoy, Bazaar, Counting House, Jester, Treasury, Venture, Grand Market, Forge
Log here (Provinces/Estates). Stef opens Envoy/Silver, while dudeabides opens double-Urchin. Stef buys Forge on turn 3 while dudeabides doesn’t hit Mercenary until turn 6. Stef trashes the last of his starting cards on turn 8 and wins easily.

What’s the best opening here? Urchin and Mercenary can hinder both the ability to buy Forge early and the value of Forge’s trashing. However, Envoy helps to hit $7 quickly and having key engine components at 4, 5, and 6 means that Forge’s gaining is certain to be useful. With Bazaar for +Actions, it will be harder to get to double-Mercenary turns than with a $4 Village.

Should dudeabides have gone for a fourth Urchin when he didn't collide on turns 3/4 (over a Silver)? If you open Envoy-Silver but don’t hit $7, what do you buy? Jester aiming to connect Urchin-Jester? Bazaar to build the draw engine for eventual Forge trashing?
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 07:31:53 pm by JW »

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +808
    • View Profile
Re: In Which Stef’s Forge outclasses Mercenary
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 04:40:49 pm »

Thanks for sharing this game.
I would have never considered going Stef's path here. It looks like he got perfect luck early on though with Envoy into Forge on turn 3. Dude's Mercenary took a while and then Stef was already about to take off. I'm not totally convinced but it's hard to argue against Stef here.
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2015, 07:31:30 pm »
+2

My plan was to buy a couple of bazaars and envoys. I don't mind adding some of those and hitting $7 a bit later, as I'm more likely to have a good forge turn at that point.
I would not buy jester before making the forge work. There is nothing in his deck that I want, and junking someone who plays with mercenary is not that effective.

And then I had amazing luck, threw all my old plans out of the window, and the outcome of the game is pretty meaningless.
Join the Dominion League!

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +808
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2015, 06:49:15 am »

My plan was to buy a couple of bazaars and envoys. I don't mind adding some of those and hitting $7 a bit later, as I'm more likely to have a good forge turn at that point.
I would not buy jester before making the forge work. There is nothing in his deck that I want, and junking someone who plays with mercenary is not that effective.

And then I had amazing luck, threw all my old plans out of the window, and the outcome of the game is pretty meaningless.

Well, I would not have come up with your plan A either. I think it's pretty hard to skip Urchin and on this board I would not have seen it. I wouldn't expect that you could build up getting discard attacked almost every turn while you would like to hit 7 to actually start trashing yourself. Also, you basically need the forge in your starting hand as you'll be getting it denied with Envoy

So yeah you got lucky and switched to plan A1 instead of A :)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 06:51:09 am by assemble_me »
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.742 seconds with 21 queries.