Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A lot of ideas for cards  (Read 4806 times)

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +776
    • View Profile
A lot of ideas for cards
« on: December 16, 2015, 02:45:54 pm »
+1

Hi everyone,

I have been a lurker for a few weeks (haven't read that much, but a little bit) and a big dominion fan (I have base game, Intrigue & Adventurers in 'real life' and all the expansions on the online game). At work, I came up with a series of cardideas, that I would like to share with you before coming up with ways to print them and playtesting them.

I am looking for comments of all sorts, ranging from (1) best idea ever to (2) concept is good, but the way it is now, doesn't work to (2B) this is how you can improve it to (3) this is the worst thing ever, kill it with fire, to (4) everything in between.

I don't really have names yet, so I used the first thing that came to my mind that was easy to use.

Also: I am looking for an easy way to print and playtest them, but I haven't found anything. I don't want to pay for new 'empty' cards for cards I might not use when I have decided to playtest them, so I am bit puzzled there. Any suggestions on that front might be useful. (I have read the guide towards making custom made cards (how great was that guide?) but that section at the end was a bit... less useful for me, I think. Anyone have any suggestions?)

I am not trying to be the most innovative kind of guy or anything; it's just 'I like the game, nd I like thinking on a metalevel about the game'. (When I was heavily into pokemon, I kept thinking of new pokémons and new pokemon attacks as well.)

Anyway, to the cards!

Added: I just realized how many cards there are. I am not sure this is ok, but I'm willing to offer the first three people with an informed feedback post €5 (payable only via paypal) for their time and effort in providing feedback. (Contact me over PM. :) I teach economics, I have no problem incentivizing people.)

Also: if a certain card isn't very useable in a very particular combination ('ow, if you have these 4 other cards, than the card is broken', then I don't mind it too much. It's just to have a collection at home of fancards, including others I have collected from the internetz. It's not to be a genuine competitor or anything, so I don't mind that too much. I do mind if you think it's straightforwardly broken/unusable with a large variety of cards.)

Cost $2

Bulbasaur
Action / Reaction
+1 Card
+1 Action
--------------------------------
When another player plays an Attack, you may set this aside from your hand. If you do, then, at the start of your turn, this card is the first card you play and gives: +1 card, +1 buy, +$1.

Frased like this, it should mean you still have only one action to play when it's your turn, no?
(I know this card is dead in kingdoms with no attack cards, but I consider this, for my personal collection, a minor issue.)

Ivysaur
Action / Reaction
+1 Action
Show your hand. Discard all Treasure cards. If you discarded at least one card: +$3.
When another player plays an Attack card, you may discard this. If you do, gain a Silver, putting it in your hand.
Stacking might be an issue. But still: given that you have to discard all your treasures... I can imagina a kind of village-smithy-Ivysaur scenario where you keep on getting money and keep on discarding it with multiple Ivysaurs, but... getting to that state seems difficult enough to allow it. No?

Venusaur
Treasure / Reaction
$1
When another player plays an Attack card, you may set this aside from your hand. At the start of your next turn, +$1 and play this card.

Charmander
Action / Attack
+1 Card
Each other player reveals his hand and discards the Treasure card with the highest cost. Each player who did draws a card.
Again, accountability is an issue. I went for highest cost rather than value given the difficulty establishing value for some treasures.

Charmeleon
Action
+1 Action
Return a card from your hand to the Supply. Gain a card with the same cost but different name as the returned card.
When you buy this, you may overpay for it. For each $1 you overpay, each other player gains a Curse.
Not actually an Attack because the cursing happens on buy.

Cost: $3

Charizard
Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
Trash a card from your hand.

Squirtle:
+1 Action
Reveal the top 5 cards of your deck. The player to your left chooses 3 for you to discard. Put the rest into your hand.

Wartortle
Action
Trash your hand.
+1 Card
+1 Action
Gain a Silver, putting it in your hand
Choose one:
+3 Cards; or +$3

Blastoise
Treasure
$0
When you play this, you may trash a card from your hand. If you do, +$2

Caterpie
Action / Duration
+1 Card
+1 Action

At the start of your next turn, reveal your hand. If you revealed:
No Treasure cards, +$3
No Action cards, +$2

Metapod
Action / Victory
+1 Action
Reveal your hand. If you revealed no Curse cards, +1 Card
Worth 1 VP for every 2 Curse cards in your deck

Butterfree
Action
+1 Action
While this is in play, cards cost $1 less, but not less than $0.
Note that other than Bridge, cost reducers work on an in-play basis rather than a per-play basis, mainly because of Throne Room/King's Court shenanigans.

Cost: $4

Weedle
Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
For each unused Action you have, +$1 (Action, not Action card)

Beedrill
Action / Reaction / Victory
+$1
When another player plays an Attack card, you may set this aside from your hand. The attack has no effect on you. While this is set aside, when another player plays an Attack card, it doesn't affect you. At the start of your next turn, +1 Card and return this to your hand.
1VP

Pidgey
Action
+1 Action
+1 Buy
Trash up to 3 cards from your hand
+$1 per card in the trash
Return at least one card from the trash (if possible) to the supply.
Return up to four cards from the trash to the supply.

Pidgeotto
Action / Attack / Reaction
+$1
+1 Buy
Each other player with 4 or more cards in hand discards a card.
When another player plays a pidgeotto card, you may show this card. If you do, then after the Attack resolves, +1 card.

Pidgeot
Action
+1 Card
You may play a Treasure from your hand twice.

Rattata
Action / Attack
+2 Cards
Discard 2 cards
Each other player discards down to 3 cards in his hand.

Raticate
+3 Actions
+1 Buy

Spearow
Treasure
$0
Reveal your hand. +$1 for each Action card you revealed.

Fearow
Action
+$2
Spend all your unused Actions. +1 Buy for each Action spent.
+1 Action
There's no card that deliberately spends an Action, so wording is based roughly on Storyteller.

Ekans
Action
Trash an Action card from your hand other than Ekans (or reveal a hand with no such cards). Gain a Gold for each $2 in the trashed card's cost.
Ekans can not be trashed with Ekans.

Arbok
Action
Choose one: +2 Cards or +2 Actions

Pikachu
Action / Victory
+1 Card
+1 Action
You may trash a card from your hand.
Worth 1VP per 3 cards in the trash with a cost greater than $2 (round down).

Raichu
Action
+1 Action
Discard any number of Victory cards from your hand. +1 Card per card discarded.

Sandshrew
Action
You may discard an Action. If you did, +3 Cards, +1 Action

Sandslash
Action / Attack
Each other player with 3 or more cards in hand chooses one: he discards a card; or he trashes a card from his hand.
If this is the first time you played Sandslash this turn, +1 Card, +1 Action.

Nidoran (Female)
Action / Duration
Now and at the start of your next two turns:
+1 Action

Nidorina
Action
Trash a card from your hand that costs more than $0 (or reveal a hand with no such cards).
If the card's cost in coins was:
$1 or $2: Gain a Spoils from the Spoils pile.
$3 to $5: Gain two Spoils from the Spoils pile.
$6 or greater: Gain four Spoils from the Spoils pile.

If the card had {P} in its cost, gain a Spoils from the Spoils pile.

Nidoqueen
Action / Duration
Discard any number of cards. For each card discarded, you may set aside a card from your hand. At the start of your next turn, put the set-aside cards in your hand.
Made it Duration to match Haven and Gear.

Nidoran (male)
Action
Gain 2 Coppers.
+1 Buy
Reveal your hand. Trash all Coppers you reveal. +1 VP for each Copper trashed.

Nidorino
Action
+3 Cards
Discard a card.
Each other player discards down to 3 cards in hand.

Nidoking
Action
You may look through your discard pile and take an Action card costing at most $4. Play that card twice.

Clefairy
+1 Card
+2 Actions
If you have 4 or more cards in play (including this card), +$3

Clefable
Victory
2VP per 3 Golds in your deck (round down)

Vulpix
Action / Duration
+$1
At the start of your next turn: +$2
At the start of your next turn after that: +$3

Ninetales
Action / Attack
+1 Action
Each other player with 4 or more cards in his hand discards or trashes (his choice) a Treasure card from his hand, or reveals a hand with no Treasure cards.

Jigglypuff
Action
Set aside this and another Jigglypuff from your hand. If you set aside two Jigglypuffs, gain up to four Action cards with total cost $16 or less, setting them aside. Each turn, at the start of your Clean-up phase, you may put one of those Action cards into your hand. If you do, draw one fewer card in that Clean-up phase.
Set aside borrowed from Prince mainly to track which cards you have available to take.

Wigglytuff
Action / Duration
At the start of your Buy phase, if this is the only Action card you played this turn, +$2

At the start of your next turn, +$3

Zubat
Action / Attack
+1 Action
Put up to two cards on your Zubat mat. For each other player, if he has any cards on his Zubat mat, you may choose one and put it on top of his deck.
The returning to your deck is now considered redundant based on current rulings.

Golbat
Action
You may trash a Silver card from your hand. If you do, +$5

Oddish
Action / Victory
+2 Cards
+1 Action
2 VP

Gloom
Each other player reveals his hand and discards a card you choose, then discards a card of his choice and draws 2 cards.

Cost: $6

Vileplume
Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
While this is in play, when you buy a card, +1 VP.

Paras
Action / Duration
You may choose an Action card from your hand. Now, and at the start of your next turn, play it twice.

Parasect
Action
+2 Cards
+2 Actions
You can't buy this if you have any Copper in play.

Venonat
Do this three times: Choose one:
+1 Card
or
+1 Action
or
+1 buy
or
+$1

Venomoth
Action / Victory
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1
2 VP

Diglett
Action
+3 Cards
+2 Actions
+1 Buy
+$1
Each other player gains a Spoils from the Spoils pile, putting it into his hand. They are not affected by any Attack cards played this turn.

Dugtrio
Action / Attack
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
Silver and Gold produce $2 less this turn (but not less than $0).
If you buy Silver or Gold this turn, each other player gains a SilverCurse or GoldCurse from the appropriate pile, respectively.

Meowth
Removed because of good feedback. :)

Persian
Action / Treasure
If you play this as an Action card, take 3 coin tokens during your Clean-up phase.
If you play this as a Treasure card, +$1 and take 1 coin token during your Clean-up phase.

Cost: $7

Psyduck
You may set this aside. If you do, set aside a Treasure card from your hand. At the start of each of your Buy phases, play that Treasure, setting it aside again when you discard it from play. (Stop playing it if you fail to set it aside on a turn you play it.)

Golduck
Treasure
$3
+1 Buy

Mankey
Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$3
You can't buy this if you have any Coppers or Silvers in play.

Cost: $9

Primeape:
Action
Your estates count as $1.
Your duchy count as $3.
Your provinces count as $6.

Special cards

SilverCurse
Treasure / Curse
+$2
(This card is not in the supply.)
-1VP

GoldCurse
Money / Curse
+$3
(This card is not in the Supply.)
-2VP

« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 07:55:36 am by AdrianHealey »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Re: A lot of ideas for cards
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 03:35:51 pm »
+3

Quality over quantity, my friend. Nobody wants to read through 59 half-baked card ideas. Maybe pick your top 5 ideas and ask about them.

Also, you should re-word your cards to be consistent with the published English versions. It's "Treasure", not "Money", etc.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 03:50:05 pm »

Quality over quantity, my friend. Nobody wants to read through 59 half-baked card ideas. Maybe pick your top 5 ideas and ask about them.

Also, you should re-word your cards to be consistent with the published English versions. It's "Treasure", not "Money", etc.

Haha, absolutely right. Dutch translations suck-monkey-balls.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 05:19:12 pm »

I will review the... uh... Top 4 8.

As for playtesting, you might want to take a look at "Tabletop simulator". It allows implementing games, including your own cards. I use it.

Bulbasaur should say "When another player plays an attack card, you may set this aside from your hand. If you do, at the start of your next turn, put it in your hand and +1Buy, +$1."
It has the issue of people losing track of whether it gave money and being useless on board without attacks.

Ivysaur should make you reveal your hand, as you could cheat by just discarding whatever you want. It should speak of "Treasure cards". I think it has the issue that it's either bad because you have too many treasures, or none at all. A deck where you want a few stray Coppers is rare, allthough there may be games where you can't avoid it. Ironically, the card itself keeps you from reaching that state. The reaction is okay, but should say "gain a Silver, putting it in your hand".

Venusaur repeats the tracking issues from Bulbasaur. Still not sure how to make this work without a very clunky wording. Worse because there is no precedence for a Treasure card that does something like that.

Charmander is a card that "trashes" a card from an opponent's hand. Besides possibly making an opponent lose all cards in his hand (no limit á la "each other player with 4 or more cards in hand"), such attacks are very unpopular. It also suffers from really helping players that just want to play action cards (which is a good strategy quite often) and being incredibly luck dependant. Also it would need players to reveal their hands, because otherwise i could just trash a lowly Copper with a Gold in hand and nobody would notice (Dominion usually avoids situation where player honesty is necessary).

Charmeleon would just never be played if you didn't have a card you want to return. Far worse is its overpay effect, which makes it possibly stronger than Ill-Gotten-Gains. Interestingly, i did a similar card, but that one switched a card in your hand when you gained it, so you had better control of what you got rid of.

Charizard is too strong for its cost. Compare Junk Dealer, which (admittedly) gives a coin instead of the buy, but also costs $5 and is still regarded as a very strong $5-card. A card that gives +1 Card, +1 Action is called a "cantrip" here. Cantrip trashers are considered very strong, and a card that gives just "+1Card, +1Action, trash a card" will possibly considered too strong for $4, yet too weak for $5. So, Charizard is more of a (weaker) $5. So much for "too weak". Chapel costs $2, but it's widely agreed Chapel isn't "worth" $2. People gladly pay $4 or more for it. The consens is Chapel costs $2 to be available for anyone, so nobody gets an incredible lead by being the only one able to buy it.

I assume Squirtle would say "the player to your left chooses 3 cards from your hand. Discard them". Well, compare Advisor, which does something similar. Without thinking too much about it, this is probably decently priced.

Is Wartortle supposed to give +$2 money or to gain a Silver, putting it in your hand? I assume you are aware these things are not the same, but the wording is confusing. Either way, a card that trashes all cards in your hand can be very good. Think of Count.

I guess i'm done for now.

Roadrunner7671

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Roadrunner7672
  • Forum Mafia Record: 18-33-2
  • Respect: +1346
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 06:35:06 pm »

Okay, it's time. I'm going to read every single card and write a response about every single one. Wish me luck, you might not hear from me for a week or two. I'm actually just going to edit this post as I go instead of making a new one, that way I can do it in chunks.

Bulbasaur: This actually seems a little swingy. In a kingdom with no attacks, you would never, even buy this card. That's why Moat has +2 cards, +2 of something is generally more useful than +1 of two things. And when there is an attack card that gets played, this is very OP. It defends against discard attacks and gives you a huge bonus. This would have to be playtested in 2-4 games with attack cards and 2-4 games without attack cards.

Ivysaur: This card seems overpowered. Get as thin as you can as soon as possible, then make a deck with these and cantrips that give +buy, or villages and non-terminals that give +buy. Play Ivysaur, discard the one treasure that you kept. Play a card to draw that treasure back, play another Ivysaur. Buy Like three Provinces. This one seems swingy as well, but who knows?

Venusaur: This card just seems underpowered. $2 can get you a lot more than a Copper on boards without an attack. And the reaction part isn't great, it's more of a consolation prize than a real defense. Maybe price it at $1 to make games with Upgrade/Remake more interesting?

Charmander: By throw away, I hope you mean discard. Trashing the opponent's highest value treasure is obviously crazy powerful. Even though this card seems a little weak, I personally like it. It's good to buy later in the game, and they don't stack super well if you get more than three of them.

Charmeleon: Chameleon seems a bit powerful with its effect. However, overpaying $3 is not good. You would want to play test this with an overpay cost of both $1 and $2. You might also want to consider making this card cost $3, particularly if you're going with overpaying by $1. I like returning to the supply more than trashing though, at least in this instance.

Charizard: This card is actually really good, it's similar to Junk Dealer. A cantrip trasher is always nice, you might want to look into a $4 cost. You say it's 'deceitful,' but you simply stop playing it after you're done trashing. Getting rid of seven bad cards and three dead cards and replacing them with one dead card is very, very good.

Squirtle: This reminds me of Advisor. However, with the way it's worded, they can discard any three cards from your hand, not just from the five you draw. This makes it worse. Overall, I think it's fairly balanced, but it is not a card I would personally buy as I tend to get screwed with Advisor and Pillage and Envoy.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 07:01:00 pm by Roadrunner7671 »
Oh God someone delete this before Roadrunner sees it.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 07:59:17 pm »

I've got some spare time so I'll review some cards here, I'm just going after the most glaring rule issues, if I think a card would be unfun I'll say that, but that doesn't mean you won't find them fun.
As for the printing suggestions, I usually just take 10 coppers or 10 random cards, and put something (a printed version of my card or just a lap saying "Warlock") into the sleeves. If you're not playing with sleeves then you obviously can't use this method.
You can spare time by just proxying the cards as you actually gain them rather than doing all ten from the beginning.
Anyway, I'll start from the bottom and scout for issues:

Diglett
Action
+3 cards
+2 actions
+1 buy
+$1
All other players get a spoils in their hand and are protected from future attacks.
You get a lot of stuff... but so do your opponents. Can we balance such a card, or is it too hard?
I think it might be kind of balanced, problem is 3 free coins for your opponent are a lot.
Anyway, I suggest streamlining it to +3 Cards +3 Actions to make it faster to parse and do less things.
I'd word it:
+3 Cards
+3 Actions
All other players gain a spoils, putting it in their hand.
-------
While this is in play, when you play an Attack card, the other players are unaffected.

Meowth
Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
+1VP
Ok, I'm sure I'm not going to be the only one saying this (supposing someone gets this far down the list  ;)) but this has the potential of leading to endless games where your most lucrative strategy pointwise is not buying any cards and going on playing your Meowth chains, thus never ending the game. If you want an easily spammable (playable in big numbers) vp generator you need to ensure that playing it will bring the game closer to an end. (bonus points if it is not overpowered)

Persian
Action / Money
If you use this card as an action card: get 3 coins during the clean up fase.
If you use this card as money: +$1 and get a coin during the clean up fase.

Unsure what you want this to do, as coins probably get reset between turns (I think this is still a grey area in the rules as no card does that - Caravan Guard works around it by being a Duration). I think you could do most of what you want with an Action-Duration reading:
"Choose one:
+1 Action +2coins,
or at the start of your next turn: +3 coins."
I like the concept of a Duration letting you have a weaker benefit now and discard it this turn into your deck (since Durations get discarded when they finish doing stuff) or a better benefit next turn. Definitely worth trying.

7 Costs:
Psyduck
Put this card aside, together with a money card. Play that money card every turn.
I'd go with the failsafe wording from Prince:
"You may set this aside. If you do, set aside a Treasure card from your hand. At the start of each of your Buy phases, play that Treasure, setting it aside again when you discard it from play. (Stop playing it if you fail to set it aside on a turn you play it)."

Golduck
Money
3$
+1 Buy
This could work, but it's definitely a bit lackluster.

Primeape: (9 coins)
Action
Use the value of victory cards as money.
The problem with this kind of cards is how you deal with alt-vp. How much money is Gardens worth? You might want to just give a flat money bonus based on the cost of the Victory cards or specifically name the Base Victory cards and give each a value. Also, I'd word it as "For the rest of your turn, you may..."

SilverCurse
GoldCurse
Are these meant for gaining with Cursers instead of normal curses? Because having the type Curse gives them that funny trait, that the cursed player may take one of these instead of the regular Curse.

Anyway, I also suggest you choose a few cards from these to focus on, this would also help getting more extensive and focused feedback.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 08:38:39 pm »
+1

I'll try to fix up the wording (I may disagree with other people's interpretations, including your own, so feel free to correct them). Some notes on tricky wordings or interpretations included, but real comments may come later.

Cost $2

Bulbasaur
Action / Reaction
+1 Card
+1 Action
When another player plays an Attack, you may set this aside from your hand. If you do, then at the start of your next turn, +1 Buy, +$1, and play this card.

Although worded like this, the playing of the card as a reaction doesn't cost an action, so it actually becomes like a Village/Market (or a Bazaar with a Buy).

Ivysaur
Action / Reaction
+1 Action
Discard all Treasure cards. If you discarded at least one card: +$3
When another player plays an Attack card, you may discard this. If you do, gain a Silver, putting it in your hand.
Slight accountability issue (similar to Throne Room, Moneylender). Need to reveal your hand first?

Venusaur
Treasure / Reaction
$1
When another player plays an Attack card, you may set this aside from your hand. At the start of your next turn, +$1 and play this card.

Charmander
Action / Attack
+1 Card
Each other player reveals his hand and discards the Treasure card with the highest cost. Each player who did draws a card.
Again, accountability is an issue. I went for highest cost rather than value given the difficulty establishing value for some treasures.

Charmeleon
Action
+1 Action
Return a card from your hand to the Supply. Gain a card with the same cost but different name as the returned card.
When you buy this, you may overpay for it. For each $1 you overpay, each other player gains a Curse.
Not actually an Attack because the cursing happens on buy.

Cost: $3

Charizard
Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
Trash a card from your hand.

Squirtle:
+1 Action
Reveal the top 5 cards of your deck. The player to your left chooses 3 for you to discard. Put the rest into your hand.
OR
+5 Cards. Reveal your hand. The player to your left chooses 3 cards for your to discard.
Did you mean for the player to your left to make you discard 3 of the 5 cards you drew, or of all the cards in your hand? Wordings given for both.

Wartortle
Action
Trash your hand.
+1 Card
+1 Action
Gain a Silver, putting it in your hand
Choose one:
+3 Cards; or +$3

Blastoise
Treasure
$0
When you play this, you may trash a card from your hand. If you do, +$2

Caterpie
Action / Duration
+1 Card
+1 Action

At the start of your next turn, reveal your hand. If you revealed:
No Treasure cards, +$3
No Action cards, +$2

Metapod
Action / Victory
+1 Action
Reveal your hand. If you revealed no Curse cards, +1 Card
Worth 1 VP for every 2 Curse cards in your deck

Butterfree
Action
+1 Action
While this is in play, cards cost $1 less, but not less than $0.
Note that other than Bridge, cost reducers work on an in-play basis rather than a per-play basis, mainly because of Throne Room/King's Court shenanigans.

Cost: $4

Weedle
Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
For each unused Action you have, +$1 (Action, not Action card)

Beedrill
Action / Reaction / Victory
+$1
When another player plays an Attack card, you may set this aside from your hand. While this is set aside, when another player plays an Attack card, it doesn't affect you. At the start of your next turn, +1 Card and return this to your hand.
1VP
Wording borrowed from Lighthouse, although note that the way I've worded it means it doesn't protect you against the attack that you react to.

Pidgey
Action
+1 Action
+1 Buy
Trash up to 3 cards from your hand
+$1 per card in the trash
If you have returned fewer than 4 cards to the supply this game, return a card of cost $2 or less to the supply.
That last part is really hard to word, and will be incredibly difficult to track. If you only wanted to count 4 cards returned specifically by Pidgey, the wording would be even worse.

Pidgeotto
Action / Attack / Reaction
+$1
+1 Buy
Each other player with 4 or more cards in hand discards a card.
When another player plays an Attack card, you may discard this from your hand. If you do, then after the Attack resolves, +1 card.

Pidgeot
Action
+1 Card
You may play a Treasure from your hand twice.

Rattata
Action / Attack
+2 Cards
Discard 2 cards
Each other player discards down to 3 cards in his hand.

Raticate
+3 Actions
+1 Buy

Spearow
Treasure
$0
Reveal your hand. +$1 for each Action card you revealed.

Fearow
Action
+$2
Spend all your unused Actions. +1 Buy for each Action spent.
+1 Action
There's no card that deliberately spends an Action, so wording is based roughly on Storyteller.

Ekans
Action
Trash an Action card from your hand other than Ekans (or reveal a hand with no such cards). Gain a Gold for each $2 in the trashed card's cost.
Ekans can not be trashed with Ekans.

Arbok
Action
Choose one: +2 Cards or +2 Actions

Pikachu
Action / Victory
+1 Card
+1 Action
Worth 1VP per 3 cards in the trash with a cost greater than $2 (round down).

Raichu
Action
+1 Action
Discard any number of Victory cards from your hand. +1 Card per card discarded.

Sandshrew
Action
You may discard an Action. If you did, +3 Cards, +1 Action

Sandslash
Action / Attack
Each other player with 3 or more cards in hand chooses one: he discards a card; or he trashes a card from his hand.
If this is the first time you played Sandslash this turn, +1 Card, +1 Action.

Nidoran (Female)
Action / Duration
Now and at the start of your next two turns:
+1 Action

Nidorina
Action
Trash a card from your hand that costs more than $0 (or reveal a hand with no such cards).
If the card's cost in coins was:
$1 or $2: Gain a Spoils from the Spoils pile.
$3 to $5: Gain two Spoils from the Spoils pile.
$6 or greater: Gain four Spoils from the Spoils pile.

If the card had {P} in its cost, gain a Spoils from the Spoils pile.

Nidoqueen
Action / Duration
Discard any number of cards. For each card discarded, you may set aside a card from your hand. At the start of your next turn, put the set-aside cards in your hand.
Made it Duration to match Haven and Gear.

Nidoran (male)
Action
Gain 2 Coppers.
+1 Buy
Reveal your hand. Trash all Coppers you reveal. +1 VP for each Copper trashed.

Nidorino
Action
+3 Cards
Discard a card.
Each other player discards down to 3 cards in hand.

Nidoking
Action
You may look through your discard pile and take an Action card costing at most $4. Play that card twice.

Clefairy
+1 Card
+2 Actions
If you have 4 or more cards in play (including this card), +$3

Clefable
Victory
2VP per 3 Golds in your deck (round down)

Vulpix
Action / Duration
+$1
At the start of your next turn: +$2
At the start of your next turn after that: +$3

Ninetales
Action / Attack
+1 Action
Each [other?] play with 4 or more cards in his hand discards or trashes (his choice) a Treasure card from his hand, or reveals a hand with no Treasure cards.

Jigglypuff
Action
Set aside this and another Jigglypuff from your hand. If you set aside two Jigglypuffs, gain up to four Action cards with total cost $16 or less, setting them aside. Each turn, at the start of your Clean-up phase, you may put one of those Action cards into your hand. If you do, draw one fewer card in that Clean-up phase.
Set aside borrowed from Prince mainly to track which cards you have available to take.

Wigglytuff
Action / Duration
At the start of your Buy phase, if this is the only Action card you played this turn, +$2

At the start of your next turn, +$3

Zubat
Action / Attack
+1 Action
Put up to two cards on your Zubat mat. For each other player, if he has any cards on his Zubat mat, you may choose one and put it on top of his deck.
The returning to your deck is now considered redundant based on current rulings.

Golbat
Action
You may trash a Silver card from your hand. If you do, +$5

Oddish
Action / Victory
+2 Cards
+1 Action
2 VP

Gloom
Each other player reveals his hand and discards a card you choose, then discards a card of his choice and draws 2 cards.

Cost: $6

Vileplume
Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
While this is in play, when you buy a card, +1 VP.

Paras
Action / Duration
You may choose an Action card from your hand. Now, and at the start of your next turn, play it twice.

Parasect
Action
+2 Cards
+2 Actions
You can't buy this if you have any Copper in play.

Venonat
Do this three times: Choose one:
+1 Card
or
+1 Action
or
+1 buy
or
+$1

Venomoth
Action / Victory
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$1
2 VP

Diglett
Action
+3 Cards
+2 Actions
+1 Buy
+$1
Each other player gains a Spoils from the Spoils pile, putting it into his hand. They are not affected by any Attack cards played this turn.

Dugtrio
Action / Attack
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
Silver and Gold produce $2 less this turn (but not less than $0).
If you buy Silver or Gold this turn, each other player gains a SilverCurse or GoldCurse from the appropriate pile, respectively.

Meowth
Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+1 Buy
+1VP

Persian
Action / Treasure
If you play this as an Action card, take 3 coin tokens during your Clean-up phase.
If you play this as a Treasure card, +$1 and take 1 coin token during your Clean-up phase.

Cost: $7

Psyduck
You may set this aside. If you do, set aside a Treasure card from your hand. At the start of each of your Buy phases, play that Treasure, setting it aside again when you discard it from play. (Stop playing it if you fail to set it aside on a turn you play it.)

Golduck
Treasure
$3
+1 Buy

Mankey
Action
+1 Card
+1 Action
+$3
You can't buy this if you have any Coppers or Silvers in play.

Cost: $9

Primeape:
Action
Use the value of victory cards as money.
Nope.

Special cards

SilverCurse
Treasure / Curse
+$2
(This card is not in the supply.)
-1VP

GoldCurse
Money / Curse
+$3
(This card is not in the Supply.)
-2VP

tristan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +193
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2015, 03:01:16 am »

About Bulbasaur, cantrip reactions are problematic as there is no cost to having a lot of them. Just imagine a cantrip Moat. Now this doesn't undo the attack but it still changes the relative strength of attack cards. Doesn't mean that the card is bad but you gotta keep this potential issue in mind during testing.

Ivysaur is crazily overpowered. Two of them with two coppers and you could buy a Grand Market!

Venusaur is nearly strictly worse than Lighthouse.

About Charmeleon, I would consider not making it an Attack as it is only a (potential) on buy Attack. It is after all an IGG variant.

Charizard is a cantrip trasher and has to cost 4$ or 5$. I would change the wording to "trash a card from your hand".

Squirtles is political and far too strong. Discarding 3 cards ruins theturn of the attacked player so everybody has to quickly buy Squirtles as defense against Squirtles. Defending against itself is a self-synergy one should be wary about.

Wartortle is far better than Chapel the first 1-3 times you play it, far too strong and probably an auto-buy in all Kingdoms.

Blastoise doesn't make any sense the way it is worded.

Caterpie should cost 4. It is after all at least a duration double Peddler.

Butterfree is probably OK.

Weedle has to cost more than more than 4$ as it is a Peddler variant which is superior to the hypothetical vanilla Peddler which should cost 4$.

Sorry but I stopped here for obvious reasons.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2015, 06:54:43 am »

You guys are still the best. :) I apologize for being overtly enthusiastic. Thank you so much!

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2015, 07:19:56 am »

I will review the... uh... Top 4 8.

As for playtesting, you might want to take a look at "Tabletop simulator". It allows implementing games, including your own cards. I use it.

Bulbasaur should say "When another player plays an attack card, you may set this aside from your hand. If you do, at the start of your next turn, put it in your hand and +1Buy, +$1."
It has the issue of people losing track of whether it gave money and being useless on board without attacks.

Ivysaur should make you reveal your hand, as you could cheat by just discarding whatever you want. It should speak of "Treasure cards". I think it has the issue that it's either bad because you have too many treasures, or none at all. A deck where you want a few stray Coppers is rare, allthough there may be games where you can't avoid it. Ironically, the card itself keeps you from reaching that state. The reaction is okay, but should say "gain a Silver, putting it in your hand".

Venusaur repeats the tracking issues from Bulbasaur. Still not sure how to make this work without a very clunky wording. Worse because there is no precedence for a Treasure card that does something like that.

Charmander is a card that "trashes" a card from an opponent's hand. Besides possibly making an opponent lose all cards in his hand (no limit á la "each other player with 4 or more cards in hand"), such attacks are very unpopular. It also suffers from really helping players that just want to play action cards (which is a good strategy quite often) and being incredibly luck dependant. Also it would need players to reveal their hands, because otherwise i could just trash a lowly Copper with a Gold in hand and nobody would notice (Dominion usually avoids situation where player honesty is necessary).

Charmeleon would just never be played if you didn't have a card you want to return. Far worse is its overpay effect, which makes it possibly stronger than Ill-Gotten-Gains. Interestingly, i did a similar card, but that one switched a card in your hand when you gained it, so you had better control of what you got rid of.

Charizard is too strong for its cost. Compare Junk Dealer, which (admittedly) gives a coin instead of the buy, but also costs $5 and is still regarded as a very strong $5-card. A card that gives +1 Card, +1 Action is called a "cantrip" here. Cantrip trashers are considered very strong, and a card that gives just "+1Card, +1Action, trash a card" will possibly considered too strong for $4, yet too weak for $5. So, Charizard is more of a (weaker) $5. So much for "too weak". Chapel costs $2, but it's widely agreed Chapel isn't "worth" $2. People gladly pay $4 or more for it. The consens is Chapel costs $2 to be available for anyone, so nobody gets an incredible lead by being the only one able to buy it.

I assume Squirtle would say "the player to your left chooses 3 cards from your hand. Discard them". Well, compare Advisor, which does something similar. Without thinking too much about it, this is probably decently priced.

Is Wartortle supposed to give +$2 money or to gain a Silver, putting it in your hand? I assume you are aware these things are not the same, but the wording is confusing. Either way, a card that trashes all cards in your hand can be very good. Think of Count.

I guess i'm done for now.

Thanks for your feedback! I agree the wording is not as clear as it should be. Will edit accordingly.

By the tabletop simulator, do you mean this: http://berserk-games.com/tabletop-simulator/ ? Or is there another one somewhere? How difficult is it to set it up? I have no experience with this, but I am grateful for the tip. :)

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2015, 07:46:43 am »

I'll try to fix up the wording (I may disagree with other people's interpretations, including your own, so feel free to correct them). Some notes on tricky wordings or interpretations included, but real comments may come later.

Thanks! I have changed the wording of my original post according to your suggestions. I changed a few things, but this has been veruy useful.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2015, 07:58:31 am »

Okay, it's time. I'm going to read every single card and write a response about every single one. Wish me luck, you might not hear from me for a week or two. I'm actually just going to edit this post as I go instead of making a new one, that way I can do it in chunks.

I hope you manage! :) Some wordings have been changed, based on Conman's (very generous help!)

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2015, 08:04:12 am »

I've got some spare time so I'll review some cards here, I'm just going after the most glaring rule issues, if I think a card would be unfun I'll say that, but that doesn't mean you won't find them fun.
As for the printing suggestions, I usually just take 10 coppers or 10 random cards, and put something (a printed version of my card or just a lap saying "Warlock") into the sleeves. If you're not playing with sleeves then you obviously can't use this method.
You can spare time by just proxying the cards as you actually gain them rather than doing all ten from the beginning.
Anyway, I'll start from the bottom and scout for issues:

Useful. I changed a few wordings, but nothing to obviously glaringly wrong (except Meowthc, which I deleted), if I understand your feedback correctly.

http://www.sleevedominion.com/collections/sleeves-for-dominion/products/sleeves-for-dominion <= Am I too understand you can buy 500 sleeves for 18 EURO? Because that sounds insanely cheap. Too cheap to be real. I am probably missing something, no?

Because that sleeve mechanism seems like a good idea.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2015, 09:25:16 am »

Yes, TS is very fitting for this kind of task. There is little you have to do as long as you stick to cards. For other things, there's a little more effort involved, but it's pretty neat. Not sure how much it costs now, though.

AdrianHealey

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2015, 09:27:13 am »

Yes, TS is very fitting for this kind of task. There is little you have to do as long as you stick to cards. For other things, there's a little more effort involved, but it's pretty neat. Not sure how much it costs now, though.

Great suggestion, then. I'll check it out! :)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.208 seconds with 22 queries.