Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Mythic cards- Personal supply piles  (Read 1606 times)

Miked

• Salvager
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
Mythic cards- Personal supply piles
« on: December 05, 2015, 11:02:29 am »
+1

These cards attempt to fix the problem that some players have with the knights and tournament by providing piles of cool, unique cards that are available to every player. So there are 5 mythic cards which appear in 5 card supply piles, one for each player. The mythic pile is only counted as empty when each player's pile has been emptied. The first 3 cards cost 5 and the last 2 cost 6 and each card has a different restriction on when it can be bought.

On to the cards:

Fairy
Action-Mythic - $5
+2 Actions
Reveal the top 3 cards of your deck, put the revealed Action cards into your hand and discard the rest.
_______________________________________________________________________________________
You can't buy fairy unless you have played an Action this turn.

Druid
Action-Mythic - $5
Trash a card from your hand. Gain a card costing up to 4, if it is an Action play it, otherwise put it into your hand.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________
You can't buy Druid unless you have 3 Action cards in play.

Goblin
Action-Attack-Mythic - $5
Each other player reveals cards from the top of his deck until he reveals a treasure costing 3 or more. They trash that treasure and gain a copper. You may gain a treasure from the trash, putting it on top of your deck.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
You can't buy goblin unless there are 4 or more Treasures in the trash.

Unicorn
Action-Mythic - $6
Do this twice: Choose one:
+2 cards; +2 Actions; +$2; +2 Buys.

Dragon
Action-Attack-Mythic - $6
+$3
Each other player with 5 or more cards in hand trashes a non-victory card costing 3 or more from his hand or reveals a hand with no such cards.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
You can't buy dragon unless you have a Copper, Silver and Gold in play.

The cards always appear in the same order. Some of the cards help towards bypassing the restriction of later cards. Fairy allows 3 actions to be played for druid, druid trashes cards for goblin and goblin can gain gold and silvers for dragon. Goblin and druid both prevent Unicorn from being gained.

Any critique on the overall concept or the balance of the individual cards is greatly appreciated!

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
Re: Mythic cards- Personal supply piles
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2015, 11:39:47 am »

the thing is, i would say on about 90-something percent of turns after turn 4 maybe, you will play at least one action, so fairy is just, a realllly good card. the same for druid- three actions isn't really that much, unless there are definitely no non-terminal actions, in which case druid is just not a card in the kingdom. there is more material to be had, probably, out of rewarding an ability to play actions cards, beyond peddler, but i would say that it's more fun when there's arbitrarity in that reward; druid rewards that one turn where you played three actions and got $5 by improving your current and future turns' ability to play three actions and get $5. peddler rewards playing 4 actions and having buys by giving you non-terminal money, what? those aren't related, and thus the decision is weird and different and instead of saying, engines become a lot stronger and easy to set up around turn 5, it says that at some point engines will be able to create more money and also a weird thing with remodels.

goblin is straight-up unavailable on the ~30% of boards that don't have copper trashing, which is yikes. other than that, thief that never misses is ok. your opponent has to re-evaluate whether they are gonna go for money in action cards or in treasure cards or some mysterious other thing. also i will get really angry when you trash my horns of plenty

unicorn, suffers from the sort of big problem of cards that want you to play/not play other cards, being that, you'll just look at the kingdom and say, are the trashing/attack cards better than unicorn (also that same sort of problem as goblin, about 20% of boards will just not have worthwhile trashing/attacks). that said, that isn't necessarily an easy or exclusive question, sometimes it messes with the order in which you build the engine. steward likes it a lot.

i think my favorite of these, thus, is dragon, sort of, i'm a fan of synergizing with the cards that are always out, and this one occasionally will just accidentally turn your council room-bm thing into an engine on turn 7, when you realize there's still time to get villages. really good attack, starts to get devastating when the green cards will occasionally force you to trash a wharf or something and thus engines can hit later, which is sort necessary from its buy condition.

not bad, overall.
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2015, 03:56:47 pm »

three actions isn't really that much, unless there are definitely no non-terminal actions, in which case druid is just not a card in the kingdom.

goblin is straight-up unavailable on the ~30% of boards that don't have copper trashing

Fairy is a village, ensuring that Druid is buyable, and Druid is a trasher, ensuring that Goblin is buyable.

(That said, it'd suck to have someone's Dame Molly hit your Fairy on a board with no other non-terminals, locking you out of the rest of the sequence.)

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2015, 04:34:48 pm »

three actions isn't really that much, unless there are definitely no non-terminal actions, in which case druid is just not a card in the kingdom.

goblin is straight-up unavailable on the ~30% of boards that don't have copper trashing

Fairy is a village, ensuring that Druid is buyable, and Druid is a trasher, ensuring that Goblin is buyable.

(That said, it'd suck to have someone's Dame Molly hit your Fairy on a board with no other non-terminals, locking you out of the rest of the sequence.)
ah, well, it's still goofy. it still asks, when are you not interested in buying this train of cards, which is not very often.
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9415
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2015, 10:05:53 pm »

Make them non-trashable, like Fortress?  Give every Mythic card the property "when you would trash this, put it in your discard pile."  It gives them a tiny boost with TFB cards, but I can't think of a good reason to trash these.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 2.207 seconds with 20 queries.