Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Any Games with 6+ Supply Piles Empty?  (Read 2200 times)

biomathics

• Herbalist
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
Any Games with 6+ Supply Piles Empty?
« on: October 16, 2015, 11:48:16 am »

I was mucking around with the first game kingdom against three bots (because, why not).  There were several times when I emptied the village and smithy piles, and then ended by gaining all the remaining VP cards on the last turn.  On a recent game, I found I had $2 left over on my last turn, and there was one cellar left, so I decided to buy it also (because, why not), leaving 6 supply piles empty, and it got me wondering.

Any one have some interesting game archives in which 6+ supply piles are empty at the end?  Preferably not just cleaning up for cleaning up sake (like I did), but where emptying each pile was helpful, directly or indirectly, in gaining more VP?  And not just in a game where that was the goal (because that is pretty easy with a few Alt-VP cards available); the more serious/challenging/death-defying odds on the last turn, the better.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 12:43:42 pm by biomathics »

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
Re: Any Games with 6+ Supply Piles Empty?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 01:08:16 pm »

I have one game with 6 piles empty, but it was mostly for-funsies. It was also terribly misplayed by both of us, looking back on it.
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 04:28:10 pm »
+12

I had a game on the new MF software last night against the bots and remembering this post, with 4 hagglers in play, decided to see how many piles I could empty. It turns out that 7 empty piles can crash the software (it couldn't allocate extra memory to a data array).

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9631
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 10:05:54 pm »

I had a game on the new MF software last night against the bots and remembering this post, with 4 hagglers in play, decided to see how many piles I could empty. It turns out that 7 empty piles can crash the software (it couldn't allocate extra memory to a data array).

You might want to report that as a bug.  :)
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

biomathics

• Herbalist
  • Respect: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 05:43:13 pm »

Base Set, First Campaign, game 19 is actually good for emptying piles.  This game resulted in 10 empty piles, and since 10 Goons were in play, all (except for the curse pile) contributed to maximizing the VP directly.

Of course, the winner could just have bought a bunch of copper once the VP cards were dry, so in a strict sense only five piles had to be emptied to achieve the same score (actually one 10 VP better, since no curses).  Of course, with Chapel and Moneylender, Copper can be bought and trashed earlier on so that that pile would run out too at the end, forcing other piles to be emptied as well.  The only problem for this game in particular is the opponent would not cooperate and insisted on buying Provinces with most turns (since all those Council Rooms followed by Goons meant he was going to have a pretty nice three-card hand each time; if only I could have played a Minions just prior to the Goons play each turn!)

Pikanto

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 12:16:50 pm »
+4

Base Set, First Campaign, game 19 is actually good for emptying piles.

when i read your post, i actually had to try to maximise the potential of that board (since campaing bots are stupid it worked out very nicely :-)

1710 VP and all piles emptied:

« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 12:18:24 pm by Pikanto »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.613 seconds with 21 queries.