Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Big Money-Lookout  (Read 972 times)

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
Big Money-Lookout
« on: January 12, 2012, 07:31:53 pm »

In this game http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/12/game-20120112-162025-a4a4a35a.html

Alchemist, Cartographer, Conspirator, Governor, Harvest, Herbalist, Inn, Laboratory, Lookout, Potion, and Thief

I had no intention of taking the strategy that I did at the end. I figured I would try something similar to my opponent in using Governor to get golds, maybe a lab and if possible some conspirator chains... Mostly I didn't have a great plan going in.  I started 3-4 lookout because I liked the idea of trashing early.

But in turns 5-8 I had 4 straight opportunities to buy gold. I opted to to this instead of Governor each time. The first times I thought, "hey these golds will help me get to Governors faster" and the last two "hey, I already have the golds Governor would get me, so I'll just take another one or two."

In the end I had 4the  Golds along with 5 silvers and started Greening pretty quick. I had read elsewhere that Lookout was bad for Big Money. But in this case the game was over pretty quick--13 turns. Did I luck out in getting those 4 straight golds--I am pretty sure luck was involved, but how much luck?  Or is lookout actually a viable option for big money?

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: Big Money-Lookout
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 07:46:20 pm »

It wasn't lucky. The governor accelerated your deck.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
Re: Big Money-Lookout
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 07:47:52 pm »

Lookout is a bad opening for big money. It can let you trash a couple estates, but at the cost of not having an early silver. The main thing that helped you was that your opponent was using Governor's trash option to let you upgrade your estates into silvers. If you had opened basically anything instead of lookout, you would still have won.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 20 queries.