Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 139  All

Author Topic: M72: Marvel Heroes Mafia (Town Wins!)  (Read 325491 times)

EgorK

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: M72: Marvel Heroes Mafia (Day 1)
« Reply #1075 on: December 04, 2015, 02:26:13 pm »

Hm, if we fully believe yuma with his claim it is advantageous for town to use his role. Absent mafia NK it is neutral, but because of mafia NK there is chance that targets would be same, which sways shooting in town favor

I highly doubt the math checks out on that, but I'll let the competent people tackle that. faust ? 2.7 ?

Just the moment I hoped my math masters and participation in school/university olympiads meant something :(

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: December 04, 2015, 02:26:18 pm »

yuma, since when do you ask for permission to vote someone ? Anyway, EgorK has two votes right now.

since I didn't read 2 days worth of posts....

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: December 04, 2015, 02:26:25 pm »

Oh, I see, he's probably operating on assumption 1.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: December 04, 2015, 02:26:54 pm »

Someone should quote every post made since Yuma left with "ATTENTION: YUMA READ".

I'm too lazy to be that someone.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: December 04, 2015, 02:27:24 pm »

On the other hand, the aspect you listed is pretty minor, though not inconsequential.

yuma

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1080 on: December 04, 2015, 02:27:35 pm »

And also he probably can't kill himself (can you, yuma?) which makes it even better. But we make the game much more variative, so I'd say he should do it only if we lynch town

can't kill myself

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: December 04, 2015, 02:28:11 pm »

Hm, if we fully believe yuma with his claim it is advantageous for town to use his role. Absent mafia NK it is neutral, but because of mafia NK there is chance that targets would be same, which sways shooting in town favor

I highly doubt the math checks out on that, but I'll let the competent people tackle that. faust ? 2.7 ?

Just the moment I hoped my math masters and participation in school/university olympiads meant something :(

Didn't know about that. Still skeptical though.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

EgorK

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: December 04, 2015, 02:30:26 pm »

Absent mafia NK it is neutral

I really doubt that. Do you have any reason to think it?

There are two aspects that make it differ from neutral. It could only be neutral if they fully balance each other out

- the game is roughly balanced around random death / town death. Increasing the former is good. this makes it better
- the game is intentionally balanced to let scum win with random lynches, because town has reads. this makes it worse.

But we have to do significantly better than random here as one option is probably out (yuma probably can't kill himself) and one would not lead to bad outcome even when it should (i. e. yuma killing same person as mafia)

Anyway I agree we should only do this if we need to increase variance, i. e. if we lynch town. Probably not even N1

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: December 04, 2015, 02:30:56 pm »

Didn't know about that. Still skeptical though.

Like : what is the likelihood that yuma hits scum ? Assuming 3 scum, removing him, that's 3/12. If we account for the mafia NK, thats 3 scum kills, 11 town kills, 1 no kill. Don't see how that adds up to pro-town, or am Ihorribly wrong somewhere ?

PPE : I guess we're assuming a mislynch. That's still 3/10/1.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: December 04, 2015, 02:32:25 pm »

I can't count. That's 3 scum, 8 townies, so 3 scum kills, 7 town kills, 1 no kill. Still looks bad.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: December 04, 2015, 02:33:22 pm »

okay, this is only partially directed at you, but it is a very valuable life lesson, and I feel the need to say it.

experience in a certain area is a really shitty metric for who's likely right in an argument that takes place in this area. this is especially true if both persons discussing are reasonably intelligent and both know a little bit about the subject. In fact it's not only not a strong indication, it's almost entirely worthless.

the probability discussion is a great example. I am snapping here because this comment you made bothers me

Silver, if you is not persuaded by arguments provided by Haddock (for some reason, they are quite clear and convincing), can you just take it from someone who was candidate for Russian IMO team and won both Google CodeJam and TopCoder Open (and probability is quite popular theme in this competitions) that he is correct.

People who have spent a lifetime studying something reach vastly different conclusions all the time, every day. Just take a look at politics.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: December 04, 2015, 02:36:24 pm »

Ampharos, on the other hand, confuses me. It always reminds me of Amorphis.

Right, given all the games of f.ds mafia they've played in, it must be pretty annoying.

It's a bad nickname in a mafia context because it's an acronym referring to an avatar. There's no way you'd be able to guess that without context, and what if he changes his avatar ? I guess it's fine in this game because it's been discussed, but if it becomes a thing it's going to have to be very confusing to anyone who hasn't played with Ampharos before.

All of which is pretty unimportant though. Anyone want to lynch e ?

PPE : E=2.7 is something you can understand though. I'm horrible at math and did not know what it was, but when I saw someoneuse it I looked at the player list, google 2.7etc. and got it. Can't do that with YPG.

momsalon was a similarly bad nickname, though at least it resembled the name. No one was using it by the time I got here though, s I never got to rant about it.

I disagree with everything unimportant in this post. You can google Ampharos, and you  will find a yellow pokemon, even if Ampharos changes his avatar. That said, I don't like the acronym YPG either. I also don't like the acronyms II, Igu, Igua or Iguanda, but that's all beside the point.

I agree with the actual content of this post. Ampharos is a bad lynch. He's towny, and the fact that he has never played with Yuma, hasn't read previous games, and is saying he doesn't know how to read Yuma is reason to give him slack for trying to push a Yuma lynch, not reason to go after him.

If it was Awaclus OTOH pushing a Yuma lynch, one would expect him to know better. Oh wait, Awaclus was pushing a Yuma lynch.

Everyone is saying they're fine with an Awaclus lynch. Well, I'll say that I like it a lot better than an Ampharos lynch.

Any takers?

Votes speak louder than words.

I am tired of voting for people and then no one else doing it, and then it not mattering. The only popular lynches in the past couple IRL days are the only two lynches I don't want to lynch (Ampharos, Yuma), hence I haven't been saying much. I guess I thought I should at least try to make something else happen.

But then right after that, Yuma said 'Is EgorK still happening?' and I thought I'd better not switch off, because he's still my top scumread.
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1087 on: December 04, 2015, 02:38:18 pm »

People who have spent a lifetime studying something reach vastly different conclusions all the time, every day. Just take a look at politics.

Do other countries actually have politicians who have spent a lifetime studying something relevant? We don't have that in Finland.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1088 on: December 04, 2015, 02:39:20 pm »

The only popular lynches in the past couple IRL days are the only two lynches I don't want to lynch (Ampharos, Yuma)

Why don't you want to lynch someone who's blatantly obviously lying about being town?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: December 04, 2015, 02:40:02 pm »

Economics would possibly be a better example.

Awaclus, do you have anything to talk about beside yuma ?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: December 04, 2015, 02:41:05 pm »

Absent mafia NK it is neutral

I really doubt that. Do you have any reason to think it?

There are two aspects that make it differ from neutral. It could only be neutral if they fully balance each other out

- the game is roughly balanced around random death / town death. Increasing the former is good. this makes it better
- the game is intentionally balanced to let scum win with random lynches, because town has reads. this makes it worse.

But we have to do significantly better than random here as one option is probably out (yuma probably can't kill himself) and one would not lead to bad outcome even when it should (i. e. yuma killing same person as mafia)

Anyway I agree we should only do this if we need to increase variance, i. e. if we lynch town. Probably not even N1

This is actually a good point (that Yuma can't kill himself).  Makes Yuma ability more pro-town when he's town and more pro-scum when he's scum.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #1091 on: December 04, 2015, 02:42:11 pm »

Awaclus, do you have anything to talk about beside yuma ?

I can also talk about my meta.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: December 04, 2015, 02:44:58 pm »

I can't count. That's 3 scum, 8 townies, so 3 scum kills, 7 town kills, 1 no kill. Still looks bad.

The point their making is scum and townie are not equally weighted.  If, for instance, you simulated the game so that random kills and random PR targets with 3 scum and 8 townies with the no-kill means scum/town wins 50/50 (or close to it), then it's actually not bad if we lynch town today and bad if we lynch scum.

Of course, I just realized there that my previous idea of Yuma not targetting self increasing his faction's benefit is made moot by the assumption of game being balanced in the above way.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: December 04, 2015, 02:48:25 pm »

I see.

That's a horrible argument. A mislynch is not a disaster because it generates info. This is just saying "welp, let's see what the RNG decides".

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: December 04, 2015, 02:53:07 pm »

also.... assuming I live... do people want me to shoot tonight?

I feel like I am starting to like the idea of shooting tonight a bit more. Unless we hit scum, then I think I like it less. But if everyone (or even a significant minority) is panic-mode and doesn't think I should then I won't.

I don't like it. But then, I don't like random elements in any game. I can see that it might be worthwile. You can't shoot yourself, right? So the chance to hit scum would already be greater than random I guess.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Ampharos

• Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #1095 on: December 04, 2015, 02:54:22 pm »

I wouldn't shoot if I were you.  Too much chance to hit town.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: December 04, 2015, 02:59:47 pm »

I see.

That's a horrible argument. A mislynch is not a disaster because it generates info. This is just saying "welp, let's see what the RNG decides".

Well,  yes. 

EgorK

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: December 04, 2015, 03:00:02 pm »

okay, this is only partially directed at you, but it is a very valuable life lesson, and I feel the need to say it.

experience in a certain area is a really shitty metric for who's likely right in an argument that takes place in this area. this is especially true if both persons discussing are reasonably intelligent and both know a little bit about the subject. In fact it's not only not a strong indication, it's almost entirely worthless.

the probability discussion is a great example. I am snapping here because this comment you made bothers me

Silver, if you is not persuaded by arguments provided by Haddock (for some reason, they are quite clear and convincing), can you just take it from someone who was candidate for Russian IMO team and won both Google CodeJam and TopCoder Open (and probability is quite popular theme in this competitions) that he is correct.

That's why I studied math and not politics. And I stopped to read that topic when it had gone from 2 pages to 5 in like an hour. I still firmly believe that given the assumptions Haddock made his answer is right. Assumptions may be wrong though

Anyway, what I said was a bit arrogant, sorry. I just wanted people to note that the fact that scum NK and yuma kill can target same person makes yuma kill a bit better. I maybe got too excited about that

EgorK

• Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: December 04, 2015, 03:02:05 pm »

Also the decision to shot should not be done based on what you feel, but mostly based on math

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: December 04, 2015, 03:02:24 pm »

So from a game-theory POV, I probably agree with what Egor said - shooting will probably be beneficial. I mean, I don't like the role, but it also has the plus side of semi-confirming yuma, yes? Because scum can't have two night kills. He could be third-party I guess, but he's be confirmed non-mafia.

Alright, unvote I think... this is not the worst plan ever.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 139  All

Page created in 2.173 seconds with 19 queries.