Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Candlestick Master  (Read 7132 times)

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
Re: Candlestick Master
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2015, 03:52:02 pm »

I am relatively sure that "(+1 action has no effect if it is not your turn) does NOT mean anything at all in terms of the way the card works. It is simply a reminder that you don't get any benefit from the extra action. It's not saying that the "+1 action" part of the card is ignored completely. Among other things, the text is in italics. Do any other cards use text in italics anywhere? I'm pretty sure there's a couple, but can't think of / find any. But if there are any, I'm almost positive that it is not text that actually changes any rules at all; it's simply a clarification/reminder.

Italics are used for "not in the supply" cards like Madman and Spoils.  Champion uses italics to remind that it stays in play, along with not being in the supply.  Black Market uses italics for set up info.  There are probably others.

The question is what the text on Caravan Guard clarifies.  The +1 action has no effect, OK, but if you actually receive +1 action anyway, when does it go away?  At the end of your opponent's turn?  At the start of your next turn?  I guess it doesn't really matter either way.

Accatitippi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Accatitippi
  • Silver is underraided
  • Respect: +1797
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2015, 03:52:10 pm »

I am relatively sure that "(+1 action has no effect if it is not your turn) does NOT mean anything at all in terms of the way the card works. It is simply a reminder that you don't get any benefit from the extra action. It's not saying that the "+1 action" part of the card is ignored completely. Among other things, the text is in italics. Do any other cards use text in italics anywhere? I'm pretty sure there's a couple, but can't think of / find any. But if there are any, I'm almost positive that it is not text that actually changes any rules at all; it's simply a clarification/reminder.
Well, there's (this is not in the supply), and surely some others. I also think they are rule clarifications, and not exceptions.
You can't get +buy, +action and probably +coin out of your turn because those variables simply don't exist right then, in my interpretation.

Edit: ninja'd
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 03:53:19 pm by Accatitippi »

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5349
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2015, 03:54:14 pm »

I do agree that the text is a reminder. It doesn't define what the card does, just as Native Village wouldn't work differently without the "return them to your deck" part. After all, i allready expressed that i think calling Coin of the Realm will follow the same restrictions without the wording. The paragraph just reminds us of a general rule that some people might believe this card conflicts with, and the question is which rule that is. I say it's the fact that you get actions during your action phase, and never else. You believe that those actions hang around and just can't be used.

Honestly that notion puzzles me. After all, when do those extra actions disappear? At the start of your turn? At the end of the current player's turn? Or his buy phase, even? And, why would Caravan Guard remind us of something by saying something different and - according to you all - simply false? Why doesn't it say something like "Having actions doesn't allow you to play actions when it's not your turn"? How can you seriously say that when a reminder text says what i say it has to be ignored for the purpose of believing into something it doesn't say and that's never said elsewhere?

Thanks Accatitippi, that's my point.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2015, 07:55:42 pm »
+1

From the official FAQ, according to the wiki:

Playing this during another player's turn is similar to playing it during your own turn - you put Caravan Guard into play, get +1 Card and +1 Action, and will get +Coin1.png at the start of your next turn - the very next turn you take. However getting +1 Action during someone else's turn does not do anything for you; it does not let you play other Action cards during that player’s turn.

I think this makes it pretty clear.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2015, 09:54:14 pm »

From the official FAQ, according to the wiki:

Playing this during another player's turn is similar to playing it during your own turn - you put Caravan Guard into play, get +1 Card and +1 Action, and will get +Coin1.png at the start of your next turn - the very next turn you take. However getting +1 Action during someone else's turn does not do anything for you; it does not let you play other Action cards during that player’s turn.

I think this makes it pretty clear.

I agree, and I believe this agrees with my interpretation. You still "get the +1 action". You just can't use any actions you have. As for when it resets... I think it's just a general rule of "you start each turn with 1 action". After all, I don't think there's a specific rule that says that if you end your turn after playing 5 Villages that those extra actions disappear (perhaps it mentions that they go to waste or something, but I don't think it specifies that one of the things that happens during cleanup is that extra actions go away). It's just that you start each turn with 1 action.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5349
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2015, 10:44:31 am »

The official rules are indeed rather clear. Huh. I guess you guys are right. It still feels weird to me, and it's kind of sad Caravan Guard's text isn't accurate, but that's not your problem. Thanks for clearing this up.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 1.325 seconds with 21 queries.