Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Tunnel Vision  (Read 2210 times)

jimjam

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +57
    • View Profile
Tunnel Vision
« on: January 12, 2012, 07:51:20 pm »

Here's a challenge: How many turns would it take, in a solitaire game, to empty the Gold pile (30) only by using the tunnel ability?
What if you had an opponent who helped, but was not allowed to buy/gain Golds or Tunnels?
Perfect shuffle luck, 3 pile ending, Possession/Outpost count as full turns, etc.

I don't have a solution, so have a useless gold burning engine (much too powerful for the puzzle)
4 Farming Village, 1 Watchtower in hand
FV->discard 8 tunnels, trash all of the golds. Draw Envoy
Envoy->Draw 5 FV, discard one.
FV->discard 8 tunnels, drawing a FV
play 7 more Farming Villages, trashing golds each time and drawing nothing.
72 golds trashed with no cards above $4

timchen

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: allfail
  • Respect: +235
    • View Profile
Re: Tunnel Vision
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 11:50:38 pm »
+1

KC-KC-3xGolem, you can even get to keep those golds!

Deadlock39

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1758
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2012, 12:44:58 pm »

Quick attempt:

Turn 1: Tunnel
Turn 2: Potion
Turn 3 (Draw 3xCopper, Tunnel, Estate): Tunnel
Turn 4 (Draw 4xCopper, Potion): Golem
Turn 5 (Draw 2xEstate, Golem, 2xCopper): Play Golem, gain 2 Golds, buy Herbalist.
Turn 6 (Draw Golem, 2xGold, 2xCopper):Play Golem, gain 2 Golds(4), buy King's Court
Turn 7 (Draw Golem, King's Court, 3xGold): Play KC/Golem, Gain 6 Golds(10) buy 2xTunnel
Turn 8 and 9 (Draw Golem, King's Court, 3x?) Play KC/Golem, Gain 12 Golds(22,30) buy nothing.

So, quick and unoptimized in 9 turns.  I am thinking it should be easy to take a turn or two off of that.  You can probably get down around 5 turns with something complex like the good old Puzzle 1 from the blog.  (Since you can gain and play a ton of cards on turn 5, you can probably pick up the Tunnel/Golem/KC combo and play it all within the turn.)

Rael

• Pawn
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2012, 01:00:44 pm »

I like Farming Village as the cheapest action that can reveal and discard all victory cards in the deck.
If your puzzle is going to have a "perfect shuffle" clause, you should always include a Chancellor in the mix. And yes, I understand that Chancellor flipping doesn't trigger the reaction.

So... Open Farming Village / Chancellor. Shuffle. Chancellor to flip + 3 copper : buy Market. Next 4 turns: Play Market, Farming Village (which reveals all Tunnels in deck), Chancellor to flip, 4 Copper, buy 2 Tunnels. These turns should get you 0, 2, 4, and 6 Gold. After that, every turn is Play Market, Farming Village (which reveals 8 Tunnels for 8 Golds), Chancellor to flip, you have 4 Golds in hand, so you can buy 2 Golds. There's 30 in the supply, right? So that's no more Gold after 9 turns.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2012, 02:24:03 pm »

I believe the puzzle stipulates that you should only gain Golds with the Tunnel reaction, so you aren't supposed to buy them.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2012, 04:34:08 pm »

Quick attempt:

Turn 1: Tunnel
Turn 2: Potion
Turn 3 (Draw 3xCopper, Tunnel, Estate): Tunnel
Turn 4 (Draw 4xCopper, Potion): Golem
Turn 5 (Draw 2xEstate, Golem, 2xCopper): Play Golem, gain 2 Golds, buy Herbalist.
Turn 6 (Draw Golem, 2xGold, 2xCopper):Play Golem, gain 2 Golds(4), buy King's Court
Turn 7 (Draw Golem, King's Court, 3xGold): Play KC/Golem, Gain 6 Golds(10) buy 2xTunnel
Turn 8 and 9 (Draw Golem, King's Court, 3x?) Play KC/Golem, Gain 12 Golds(22,30) buy nothing.

So, quick and unoptimized in 9 turns.  I am thinking it should be easy to take a turn or two off of that.  You can probably get down around 5 turns with something complex like the good old Puzzle 1 from the blog.  (Since you can gain and play a ton of cards on turn 5, you can probably pick up the Tunnel/Golem/KC combo and play it all within the turn.)
Tunnel/Golem/KC won't work in the context of Puzzle 1 since you have a bunch of other actions. You probably have to go with farming village + chancellor (farming village to flip 8 tunnels on the way to a chancellor, and chancellor to shuffle the tunnels back in. But yeah, I think the answer should be 5-6 turns.

Deadlock39

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2012, 05:20:57 pm »

Yes, but I am pretty sure most of turn 5 is played with those actions being placed on your Deck and being drawn into your hand.  If all your actions are in your hand or in play, Golem can do its thing just fine.

Edit: I took a look and it doesn't appear possible in 5 turns.  The key is that you can't use Ironworks to gain the Golems, so they cannot be picked up mid-turn.  I do think that it can probably be modified to pick up a couple of Potions, buy 2 Golems along with at least 5 Tunnels, and then use your perfect shuffle luck to set up turn 6 to Draw all your actions out and then play KC/KC/Golem/Golem for 30 Golds.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 05:30:35 pm by Deadlock39 »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 21 queries.