Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24]  All

Author Topic: Codenames V -- team play  (Read 56759 times)

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
    • View Profile
Re: Codenames V -- team play
« Reply #575 on: January 31, 2016, 08:50:10 am »

CZECH

not a very specific clue (Bohemia would be closest to a synonym) but everything else does not fit.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: January 31, 2016, 05:23:02 pm »

Czech is Blue

I suppose Bohemia would have worked too, but I was going for word association. Perhaps my being an American hindered me there.

Good game. I panicked when Egork suggested SEED, because I thought I overlooked that word and gave too vague of a clue. I did that IRL with FLAME and HEART. I said Kali-Ma, which got them thinking about Indiana Jones, so I was eagerly waiting for them to get those words. Then they said that the scene was in TEMPLE of Doom, and I realized with a heavy heart that TEMPLE was on the board--and it was the opposing team. Oops.
A man has no signature

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: January 31, 2016, 06:00:22 pm »

Ok ash here it is.

So the clues you have given me are: Book:2, and I got both of those.

shades: 3.  I only got roof from that

weight: 4. I only got scale and gold from that

So from those clues you have already given me, I'm going to assume one of the clues was duplicate, so I still have all the clues to our words.

From shades, I would guess the other two words are maybe VACATION and MAMMOTH?

From weight, I would say the other two are MAMMOTH and ?

POISON, CZECH, KIWI, GRASS, and STREAM I don't get from either of those clues, which decreases the guessing space to KING, VACATION, DWARF, MAMMOTH.  From those I would guess KING as the other weight one?

So two things for you.  I'm probably going to guess VACATION, MAMMOTH, and KING unless you change my mind, and make sure you give me a number that allows me enough guesses :)

Here are my words:

You got the two for Book.

For Shades, it was Roof, Vacation (where you wear shades, as in sunglasses), and Ray (as in Ray Charles, famous for wearing sunglasses).

For Weight, it was only Scale and Gold, giving you 2 extra guesses for the ones you missed on Shades.

And then I used Death to bring in Poison, as well as connect back to Ray (as in Death Ray).
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: January 31, 2016, 06:22:41 pm »

Those were good clues.  I didn't read all the words out loud so I couldn't get the death ray association.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: February 01, 2016, 02:50:32 am »

Those were good clues.  I didn't read all the words out loud so I couldn't get the death ray association.

Yeah, my style has been less wikipedia and more obvious connections.  It makes it harder to be specific, I guess.

You had vacation in mind, but went another direction.  I didn't know how to get rid of Mammoth -- it was big and died. 

ipofanes

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: ipofanes
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: February 01, 2016, 03:42:46 am »

For Weight, it was only Scale and Gold, giving you 2 extra guesses for the ones you missed on Shades.

I would be misled as a spy by that number. Of course you could always add the number of yet uncharted words to the number of associations with the clue, but that would have to be known as your personal style to be useful. (Also, I am not 100% sure if it is legal.) Seeing the high number with weight, I was sure that Mammoth would be one of the solutions.
Lord Rattington denies my undo requests

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: February 01, 2016, 04:03:40 am »

I would be misled as a spy by that number. Of course you could always add the number of yet uncharted words to the number of associations with the clue, but that would have to be known as your personal style to be useful. (Also, I am not 100% sure if it is legal.) Seeing the high number with weight, I was sure that Mammoth would be one of the solutions.

I recall someone else adding extra guesses to try to get previous ones missed, so I thought I'd do it as well.  All to say it wasn't an original idea.

Kuildeous

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: February 01, 2016, 11:49:45 am »

I recall someone else adding extra guesses to try to get previous ones missed, so I thought I'd do it as well.  All to say it wasn't an original idea.

I happened across this BGG post and was reminded of this situation:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1516924/codenames-how-not-play

I knew that unlimited is a viable option, but I didn't realize that it implicitly means that there's really only one clue but have some extra guessing room.

And yeah, if someone told me Australia: Four, I would be obsessing over what those four words are.
A man has no signature

gkrieg13

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: February 01, 2016, 12:02:09 pm »

Yeah, my style has been less wikipedia and more obvious connections.  It makes it harder to be specific, I guess.

You had vacation in mind, but went another direction.  I didn't know how to get rid of Mammoth -- it was big and died.

Ya for weight I assumed there were 4 answers that fit the bill.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24]  All

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 19 queries.