Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Painful board with Embargo out. How do you play it?  (Read 3607 times)

catsclaw

• Golem
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
Painful board with Embargo out. How do you play it?
« on: January 11, 2012, 09:09:42 pm »

On this board, my strategy (as Fin Fang Foom) was initially to use Oasis and Library to draw good hands.

http://dominion.isotropic.org/gamelog/201201/11/game-20120111-180307-d5f11921.html

My opponent bought Embargos and embargoed the Golds, and when I started buying Harems he Embargoed them as well.  I think I screwed up by buying Transmute.  What should I have done?

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
Re: Painful board with Embargo out. How do you play it?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 09:18:58 pm »

I really don't understand people buying and prohibiting transmutes here. More important perhaps, you really want to get to those golds and Harems fast in a big money-like game, like this one, but... your initial strategy was a great one for being able to make it up to $8 without the aid of Gold. You could have totally stuck with it.
Another big problem was ending the game when behind. Seems to me you were still very much in it.

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 09:20:51 pm »

Transmute is a trasher, so you could have opted to buy a Gold or two and hoped to trash the curses.  Alternately, Contraband. With Fairgrounds and Province both out, it should be enough to make your opponent's veto a little less powerful.

...just spitballing here, of course.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 09:24:30 pm by jotheonah »
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

catsclaw

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 09:37:01 pm »

Another big problem was ending the game when behind. Seems to me you were still very much in it.

I wasn't keeping very close count of the exact score, and miscounted the number of distinct cards I had (thought I had bought a Silver, bringing me to 15 unique cards).  If I had counted correctly, and had one more action card, I would have been within 1 point of him.  And with one Estate left, I wasn't "very much in it", since all he needed to do was buy the last Estate and win if I didn't.

catsclaw

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 09:39:34 pm »

Transmute is a trasher, so you could have opted to buy a Gold or two and hoped to trash the curses.
I don't think that works well, since there's no way to ensure you get the Transmute and the Curse in the same hand.
Alternately, Contraband. With Fairgrounds and Province both out, it should be enough to make your opponent's veto a little less powerful.
That probably would have helped.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 09:47:49 pm »

I'd like to hear why WW thinks Transmute is an exceptionally bad buy here.  It seems to me that Gold and last-minute Duchies were both helpful things to gain, and curses helpful to be rid of, so almost anything you used it on would be a benefit.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 10:01:29 pm »

I'd like to hear why WW thinks Transmute is an exceptionally bad buy here.  It seems to me that Gold and last-minute Duchies were both helpful things to gain, and curses helpful to be rid of, so almost anything you used it on would be a benefit.
Because it's always an exceptionally bad buy ;)
Um, I actually think potion is the really bad buy here. I don't see any reason to go for it, big reason being it's slooooooow.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 10:09:21 pm »

I wasn't keeping very close count of the exact score, and miscounted the number of distinct cards I had (thought I had bought a Silver, bringing me to 15 unique cards).  If I had counted correctly, and had one more action card, I would have been within 1 point of him.  And with one Estate left, I wasn't "very much in it", since all he needed to do was buy the last Estate and win if I didn't.

You could have bought 1 more Harem, gaining a Curse, which would have tied you the game  ;)

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 10:10:28 pm »

Because it's always an exceptionally bad buy ;)
Um, I actually think potion is the really bad buy here. I don't see any reason to go for it, big reason being it's slooooooow.

Hence the "exceptionally." ;)

He/him

catsclaw

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 09:15:51 am »

You could have bought 1 more Harem, gaining a Curse, which would have tied you the game  ;)

Which would have tied the game if I had counted correctly and had another unique card, which I didn't.  And then he would have bought the last Estate and won by 1 point anyway.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 09:33:33 am »
+1

The transmute will struggle here because it congests the deck. You've got no extra drawing or extra actions. Any ideas of trashing out curses, turning estates to gold, creating more transmutes to score vineyards, it all flounders on poor drawing.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.689 seconds with 21 queries.